shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you been asked, "How much did you pay for that?"

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
To answer your original question. We've been asked, and we say we paid enough. That normally warrants some quietness from whoever asked.

As to the rest of your post. You seem quite pompous, and your actions are not respectable. I imagine your employees now fear you physically, and probably don't hold a lot of respect for you. Brute strength and violence don't earn respect, and neither do flash and glam. It makes you look ostentatious and thuggish.

Perhaps you need to reassess your values and morals. Most of the people posting here love diamonds for their qualities, their beauty. You seem to love them for their status symbol and because it makes you feel powerful. I wonder if you have given your wife half of what you've given yourself. I also wonder if you do anything at all to give back to those who have had the meager start that you presumably had. The truly admirable people in this world find ways to give back just as much as they get. Hope you figure it all out. :roll:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel compelled to say that I find this posting to be quite disturbing and particularly hard to believe. The topic for this thread does not fit well with your overall message in your post. If your motive was to shock, and elicit feelings of revulsion, then you have clearly succeeded. However, if your motive was to genuinely ask for suggestions on how to handle inappropriate questions, then this was lost in the muddiness of your post.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I also find it odd that you use language like "command him" and he "disobeyed your orders".. that you "punished" him… and that you "almost laughed at the clearly defined marks your rings had made on his face and shaved head as they swelled up." And that you have a competition with someone to get a wardrobe of jewelry worth a quarter million.

You sound like a pompous jerk. This whole thread reeks that you're really just trying to show off how much money you spend and how macho you are. I either sniff a troll making up stories, which I HOPE is the case, or just a big jerk.

++++++me, too -

Your 'bracelet' is quite ugly IMO - and your attitude IS offensive and pompous. Yuck.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1375446171|3495187 said:
Dr.D,
It appears that you need to chill as well; your described actions were unnecessary and reeked of perceived superiority. Perhaps it is your social circle as I've never been asked by any of my friends, family nor acquaintance the price I paid for any of my jewellery.
The person sporting the biggest diamond makes the rules... ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1375467197|3495411 said:

DF,
Is that why your wife makes the rules at home? :naughty: :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the type of man our Dr likes to beat up.
My wrists are thin and hairless, and I'm a homo to boot. ;( :nono: :knockout:

I can't beat up many men so I guess I have to beat up some women and children who don't obey my orders.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1375429792|3495117 said:
GoSounders|1375428579|3495111 said:
I do find it odd that you feel justified in beating on someone much smaller than you because they commented negatively about your jewelry. Really just TMI about that whole situation.

Yes. I also find it odd that you use language like "command him" and he "disobeyed your orders".. that you "punished" him… and that you "almost laughed at the clearly defined marks your rings had made on his face and shaved head as they swelled up." And that you have a competition with someone to get a wardrobe of jewelry worth a quarter million.

You sound like a pompous jerk. This whole thread reeks that you're really just trying to show off how much money you spend and how macho you are. I either sniff a troll making up stories, which I HOPE is the case, or just a big jerk.

This +1!!

Pompous jerk and over compensating for something.. :roll:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411|1375463319|3495357 said:
As to the rest of your post. You seem quite pompous, and your actions are not respectable. I imagine your employees now fear you physically, and probably don't hold a lot of respect for you. Brute strength and violence don't earn respect, and neither do flash and glam. It makes you look ostentatious and thuggish.

I'm guessing by him mentioning that he offered an employee a raise after a compliment, and his reaction to angelbaby's comments in the other thread, this is exactly what he is going for.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Only my mother knows what we paid of my oec. No one else has even asked anything; in Finland this kind of stone must be fake. It makes, indeed, wearing my ring much easier. No questions, no embarrasing answers :D :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1375467352|3495413 said:
Dancing Fire|1375467197|3495411 said:

DF,
Is that why your wife makes the rules at home? :naughty: :bigsmile:
Yes I created a monster... ;(

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's not give this poster more attention than he deserves. I am glad to see that his post has already been reported. This is not Pricescope-worthy!

(I have seen some nice remarks to use for people that ask for prices of jewelry though :bigsmile: )

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1375468331|3495427 said:
Let's not give this poster more attention than he deserves. I am glad to see that his post has already been reported. This is not Pricescope-worthy!

(I have seen some nice remarks to use for people that ask for prices of jewelry though :bigsmile: )
Why?? are you ladies jealous of men with diamonds... :Up_to_something:

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Don't Feed the Troll

GoSounders

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
Why?? are you ladies jealous of men with diamonds... :Up_to_something:

I just feel bad for his best friend, who's probably got the same bracelet and has been saddled with the woman repeller, the eyesore from the Liberace House of Crap, the reject from the Mr. T collection.

http://youtu.be/TAqSLx11ZfI?t=31s

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Have you been asked,

YT|1375461332|3495330 said:
Ughhh, I cannot take this anymore. You come off as a pompous arrogant fool. With a little bit of douche bag on the side.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
If you don't like what someone posts please ignore it rather than breaking rules on your own. Thank you for your cooperation.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't recall anyone asking that. Maybe my mom, but I think I offered the information first.

Why the heck are you going around beating people up?!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Some of my favorite jewelry pieces are items I bought on the second-hand market. So if I got a great deal, I don't mind sharing the price I paid. ;-) However, when someone mentioned close friends/family asking, that reminded me...my ex-MIL used to admire my jewelry, then ask how much I paid for whatever piece I was wearing. It made me rather uncomfortable, because I didn't want to seem rude by saying "I'd rather not share" or say her son bought it for me (because then she would just ask him) so I would either lie a little about the price or tell her I got a great deal compared to what it would retail for. :sick:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a Dr. in the house?.. :devil:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like an episode of the Sopranos. I found your post to be strange and disturbing.

eta: I shouldn't keep responding about this post, but I can't help it...You don't want to tell people it's none of their business, but you're ok with beating someone up and then laughing at the imprints of your rings on his head? Did you also make him an offer he couldn't refuse?This post can't be for real!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1375492671|3495707 said:
Is there a Dr. in the house?.. :devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has ever asked the cost of any piece of jewelry. If they did, I hope I'd be able to respond with a variation of a Miss Manners response: Why would you ask a question like that? (then change the subject.)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
A Latino has never asked the cost of my jewelry.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops, I just answered w/out reading where this thread was going. um, guess I'll delete because I posted honest responses, not realizing there was bickering going on. Gotta try and remember to READ the thread before responding.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock
Thanks for some really good suggestions. There's one in particular that is excellent and I will try out.

For those who got so upset about my post, you don't know how long this guy went on, how insulting he was not only to me but others, how many times and by how many people he was asked to leave, that one person walked him away and yet he came back. I think HE was looking for a fight.

Also note that I said this was the first (and only) time something like this led to violence. I didn't say he was smaller than me -- he was actually taller and outweighed me. I said my fists were bigger than his. He started the fight verbally and physically. Maybe if you'd been there you'd see it differently. Even people at other tables thanked me when I came back for getting rid of the guy.

The people asking are not in my social circle. Note that in my post I said "strangers." And it doesn't happen "all the time" as someone wrote; probably averages twice per year.

"Orders" and "commands" are words that entered my vocabulary when I served in the military, defending our country in the Middle East.

I don't think anyone working for me is afraid of me. More likely they feel safe, supported and defended. When people quit, that's when they usually let the boss "have it." No one leaving has ever had critical things to say to me about myself (they have about others), and certainly no one has called me the names that I've been called in this thread.

That being said, I've never expected or wanted everyone to agree with me or even like me. I wouldn't have succeeded as well as I have if I did.

Once again, I've gotten some really helpful and good advice from some people on this forum.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock
A few more thoughts have come to mind.

Reminder: this website's Community Agreement says:

I agree to help and respect each other, stay positive, considerate, and supportive.
I agree to not participate in rudeness, personal attacks...

Amazing that a post on the Internet can get people so riled up they hurl a barrage of insults. Maybe some of the following will temper your thoughts:

I guess it wasn't obvious that writing that I gave the guy a raise after his comment was supposed to be a joke!

All branches of the military have used the words "commands" and "orders" for hundreds of years because they are both precise and concise. The guy had already been "asked" and "told," and those didn't work, so I was more assertive.

There were other factors in play that night. Earlier in the evening awards were given out. Maybe he expected one and was angry about not getting it. He kept ranting about the "f***ed up process they used'; "it was f***ing rigged"; "the f***ing trophies aren't worth sh** anyway," "fake gold, you'd know about that," blah blah. One of the women at my table had won a trophy and he went off on her. She had no "+1" with her to defend her, so I did.

Outside, when he tried to hit me, I think some of the anger that I've carried around with me since the robbery two years ago surfaced. I'd felt helpless and "impotent" that night, and this was the first confrontation I'd had since then. It's probably why I hit him more than once or twice.

Someone suggested I re-assess my priorities and give money to charity instead of buying jewelry (or something along those lines -- I don't want to read through them again to get an exact quote). What makes you think you know anything at all about my philanthropic habits?? I rarely talk about it, but since you brought it up, I give 12% of my salary every year to charity. Many years ago when I first started being successful, I started with 4%, later increased to 8%, then 12%. I've got 2 kids in college now (for whom I'm paying full tuition, room and board, and living expenses) and have three more yet to go. When they've all graduated, I hope to increase it to 16% and possibly one day to 20%. I've never added it up, but it must be a few million dollars by now. How does that compare to your charitable giving?

One of my favorite charities is Multiple Sclerosis, because my mother had it. My father never tried to take over the duties that my mother was unable to perform. Instead, he was a mean, sadistic drunk who used to humiliate and beat me, until when I was about 14 and, when he hit me, I hit him back. I make my donations to MS anonymously, because, unlike most donors, I don't want or need recognition for it.

My other favorite charity is kids with birth defects. I was called "Elephant Ears" and "Dumbo" etc. as a kid until my parents somehow found some doctor who did charitable pro-bono work. So I learned about the value of charitable giving at an early age. The best part of this charity is that my wife and I are allowed to serve on a committee where we review cases and actually get to meet some of the kids. And no, I don't wear a lot of jewelry to these. My wife always slips the kids and/or their parents an "unmarked" gift card for $1,000, pocketed inside cute little holders she makes herself.

My ears are still not normal. They don't stick out, but they're misshapen. When I mention it to someone, they almost always say, "I never noticed, but now that you bring it up ..." Jewelry draws attention to the body part it's worn on, so that's why I would never wear earrings. That parallels the statements I made about bony fingers and wrists -- why draw attention to them with jewelry? I was criticized for that, too, although I think my comments were misinterpreted.

I learned long ago not to insult people. It was sixth grade, actually. After the graduation ceremony we were in the gym and all 30 kids had their mother and father hugging them. Mine weren't there; I was the only one alone. I went to the teacher and asked, "Where do I get the school bus today?" and she said, "There's no bus today. Where are your parents?" "They didn't come," I said. A woman standing nearby said, "I'll take you home." I turned and it was the mother of the one kid in the class who I'd been feuding with all year, constantly hurling insults at each other. We sat stone-silent in the back seat the whole way home. I thought, "You can treat someone like s***, but you never know, one day you might somehow need their help, and you'll regret the things you said."

With very few exceptions (I was out of the country), I've never missed any of my kids' graduations.

I think people who are quick to hurl insults have unresolved anger and frustration issues and can't find a more acceptable outlet for their feelings.

I think the old adage, "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a good (but challenging) goal as a way to live your life.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amen!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Re: Have you been asked, "How much did you pay for that?"

You're right. We won't say anything else. We will just talk to Ella.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assault is illegal. End of story.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results