shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone seen this video from the inauguration?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1485222019|4118837 said:
momhappy|1485221858|4118834 said:
That may be the case, but I know that BOTH my husband and I have a "look" when we are trying to convey something without speaking. Again, I really don't think it has to mean anything - maybe it does and maybe it doesn't.
I guess it feels kind of weird for me to speculate and like I mentioned before, I wonder if people sit around and make judgements about my marriage based on a single interaction with my spouse? Every couple is different. If the Trumps are happy, great, if not, I guess I ow;don't be surprised.

I understand your point. I hope you understand mine.

I edited my post above - yes, I understand you =)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1485217415|4118784 said:
monarch64|1485216193|4118775 said:
As someone who spent 7 years with a man who would give me withering looks, say horrible things to me under his breath in public, kick me under tables when I wasn't behaving the way he thought I should, I think it's real. The Donald was keeping her in check or scolding her about something. Barf. :nono:
I got the same yucky feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw it. My ex didn't kick me but the horrible things happened all of the time. Makes me want to hug her.

+ 1, I think those of us that have lived with Narcissistic and/or physically or psychologically abusive men totally get it..... I was also wondering why she is standing behind him and not next him, that is quite telling in itself. Hopefully the clip which is also doing the rounds of Facebook was taken out of context, if not then I feel sorry for her.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just noticed an overall pattern of indifference towards Melania. Even the money and jewels doesn't make up for the perceived hurt on her face in that video. It grinds my gears to see the way he disregards her presence in public. But this is a surprise to no one!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video that was posted kept stopping and starting for me, so I went to YouTube to see if I could get a clearer one. There were a lot of choices for Melania Trump, so I put in "Inauguration" and had to choose again, but no choice was right. So I decided to write "sad". With that word this video came up. I think it is really telling. It shows that many people are feeling the way we do and looking at the Trumps' situation closely.

Melania Trump Video from YouTube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md9ZRSJi9wY

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1485222650|4118843 said:
athenaworth|1485217415|4118784 said:
monarch64|1485216193|4118775 said:
As someone who spent 7 years with a man who would give me withering looks, say horrible things to me under his breath in public, kick me under tables when I wasn't behaving the way he thought I should, I think it's real. The Donald was keeping her in check or scolding her about something. Barf. :nono:
I got the same yucky feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw it. My ex didn't kick me but the horrible things happened all of the time. Makes me want to hug her.

+ 1, I think those of us that have lived with Narcissistic and/or physically or psychologically abusive men totally get it..... I was also wondering why she is standing behind him and not next him, that is quite telling in itself. Hopefully the clip which is also doing the rounds of Facebook was taken out of context, if not then I feel sorry for her.

I thought about this and presumed it was a required seating chart. I did a quick Google search and found that the Obama's sat the same way at his inauguration (she behind him - that part of a gold colored coat is her behind him).

3060461-884748322.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw this and subsequently shared it, my intention wasn't so much to pick apart their relationship or judge but rather I just felt for her. In reading the responses, many of us have experienced emotional or physical abuse or both and so this really strikes a chord. Could it be nothing? Possibly but....her face, my intuition just speaks to hurt.

I know before my husband got help for his anger issues we had a very public display where he snapped at me in front of a group of our mutual friends and I was completely embarrased. In the car on the ride home I told him how I felt, he had no clue just how horribly he reacted. So, could people have noticed and picked it apart? Maybe, nobody ever said anything to me but I wish they had because it would be years later that I would actually confront him about it when it could have been dealt with sooner. Not putting the blame on others but at the time I didn't recognize it and wasn't strong enough to address it and so I accepted it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cried all through my first cousin's wedding because my husband had locked me out of the house for three days just before she got married. I also had a headache that nearly killed me. At the wedding he wasn't speaking to me, but no on knew it. I was one of her bridesmaids. He covered it up. She was married just three years after I was and my 40th anniversary is coming up. (My husband and I now live in separate states.) Since it was so long ago I don't recall all the details, but since I was sleeping at my parents' house (I was locked out, after all), they knew about the "fight" and just didn't interfere. My husband was a doozy in his younger days.

Deb

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1485224190|4118851 said:
The video that was posted kept stopping and starting for me, so I went to YouTube to see if I could get a clearer one. There were a lot of choices for Melania Trump, so I put in "Inauguration" and had to choose again, but no choice was right. So I decided to write "sad". With that word this video came up. I think it is really telling. It shows that many people are feeling the way we do and looking at the Trumps' situation closely.

Melania Trump Video from YouTube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md9ZRSJi9wY

Did you happen to watch the one I posted, and see Ivanka's face? That video (on Twitter) cuts Ivanka out, and I think it offers a little more visually to consider in forming any sort of opinion.

I agree with momhappy that it's hard (and not really fair) to judge a couple's relationship based on a snippet or moment; only those two people really know what goes on.

But I will suggest one more consideration or theory related to the broader perspective of their marriage/behavior. Could there be some sort cultural aspect to how Melania appears to 'tolerate' his demeanor? I know she has been in the U.S. for awhile, but she is from Slovenia. I don't know much about the culture there in the 70s-90s (perhaps someone here does?), but she seems to have lived there for her first 26 years, which is reasonably long enough to influence or shape one's beliefs and behavior. If it's a culture where women were/are more "submissive," then that may explain her apparent tolerance for him. In fact, it may explain in part why - agree/like it or not - they 'make a good match' - he = an ego in a suit, and she (in theory) = submissive/stand by your man. I can see his ego needing/being attracted to that type of partner.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I come from a similar submissive culture, where the woman walks behind the man, holding the child's hand and carrying all the stuff whilst the man is walking ahead without a care. :knockout: I rebelled against this and am happy to be here in the USA away from all this archaic second class citizenship.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

He was wearing a microphone, correct? Cameras were poised at every angle--so it isn't a stretch to suppose one could "even" read his lips. He was heard and seen.

What did he "actually" say?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1485228136|4118877 said:
HI:

He was wearing a microphone, correct? Cameras were poised at every angle--so it isn't a stretch to suppose one could "even" read his lips. He was heard and seen.

I don't know that he wore a wireless mic, as there was one on the podium.

Besides, he'll probably NEVER wear a wireless mic again after the Access Hollywood bus incident. :silenced:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a very small moment in time. I'm not going to judge their relationship with each other because of it.

What I will say is every time Obama looked at his wife, they were having a private moment. He could not hide how much he loves her. That was a joy to see.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The video sure has been making the rounds. I Googled it just out of curiosity and it's all over the place. I read one account that said that from another angle, he appeared to be addressing his son, which made the smile fade from Melania's face.
Whatever the case, I felt terrible reading through all of the comments (not here - the ones on some of the other sites where I found the video clip posted). People saying they were certain they were getting divorced and that "clearly" she is abused. I think the only thing that's clear is that she's smiling one minute and not the next. On the surface, it seems sad. Maybe they were fighting? My husband and I have had disagreements before an event, but we still manage to "fake" our way through it.
Whatever the case, it does appear sad, but that's just a guess and nothing more.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1485228781|4118881 said:
Its a very small moment in time. I'm not going to judge their relationship with each other because of it.

What I will say is every time Obama looked at his wife, they were having a private moment. He could not hide how much he loves her. That was a joy to see.

I agree - the Obama's do seem to care deeply for one another and it was nice to see (all throughout his presidency) - even if I'm not an Obama fan ;-)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485228639|4118879 said:
canuk-gal|1485228136|4118877 said:
HI:

I don't know that he wore a wireless mic, as there was one on the podium.

Besides, he'll probably NEVER wear a wireless mic again after the Access Hollywood bus incident. :silenced:

Therefore, "we" don't know what was communicated. Did she have spinach in her teeth?? Why all the conjecture? :confused:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ran across this old article (1990) about the end of the marriage to Ivana. Apparently he was more or less bored and ignoring her before they divorced. Also, there are some interesting anecdotes about The Donald and his "deals" and his ego in the article, too.
http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/07/donald-ivana-trump-divorce-prenup-marie-brenner

I must say that at this point, I am highly suspicious about his ability to set his ego aside and serve the people, and nearly convinced that he is a narcissist. There's no fool like an old fool. Being POTUS will either tone him down, or it could quite well be the death of him if he can't deal with it. The office has aged every man who's held it. I just keep having premonitions of it breaking him instead of him lording it over others. Weird, huh?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1485229816|4118888 said:
Therefore, "we" don't know what was communicated. Did she have spinach in her teeth?? Why all the conjecture? :confused:

:think: Maybe she has EMERALDS on her veneers; quick, someone go tweet that theory. <~~ sarcasm

You are correct. "We" don't know what (if anything) was said; only them, as I commented earlier.

My "conjecture" - inasmuch as anyone else's - is merely to opine that contrary to assumptions of abuse and the resulting suggestions, hashtags, and posters on social media telling FLOTUS to "blink twice if she needs rescue", that there are a plethora of other reasonable possibilities that may explain what many assume (in the video) equates to an "abused woman held hostage in a loveless marriage."

My points and conjecture meaning = don't jump to conclusions or assumptions without all the facts ... especially about accusations as serious as abuse. In fact, I find the comments I saw on social media to be pathetically mocking of what is a very real, frightening experience for many. :nono:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a video taken at the same time but from another angle that shows two other people - not family members - also reacting to his comment with frowns. Ivanka's expression seems to be along the lines of agreeing with a joke.

I doubt Ivanka would have kept smiling if he had directed something negative at Melania - but who knows.

I doubt others would have noticed or frowned if he had said something to praise Ivanka that excluded Melania - but who knows.

My guess is he said something self-aggrandizing, or made some joke that disrespected the situation or the speaker - something that disappointed Melania - and her fatigue (or maybe the crush of many disappointments throughout the week) led to her expression - but who knows.

Still I do feel bad for her as I would for anyone who has to live with someone so self-absorbed, who has shown such a willingness to heap abuse on others for the slightest reason. So...

screen_shot_2017-01-23_at_8_0.png
(author unknown)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485219151|4118804 said:
Regarding the thread topic, I found this, which if you look at the third video down (it's queued up), it's not quite clear: 1) if he made a comment, or was just turning to smile or look at the family; and, 2) if he did make a comment, if it was to Melania, Ivanka or both. Ivanka's face also appears to become more 'subdued' at the same time, but not as 'grimacing' at Melania's.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/46804_Revealing_Video_of_Donald_and_Melania_Trump_at_Inauguration-_Was_It_Reversed

In the second video in this article, you can tell from the Pence daughter's reaction (she's the dyed blond woman over Trump's right shoulder, next to Barron who is next to Melania) that she heard a comment or saw a look from Trump that made her uncomfortable or concerned. She also went from smiling to subdued, and thereafter looked towards Barron/Melania several times.

I noticed the whole day and evening the stark difference between the Trump's indifferent and uncomfortable interactions and body language and that of the Obama's which were warm, supportive and helpful. I feel bad for Melania.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485232411|4118900 said:
canuk-gal|1485229816|4118888 said:

:think: Maybe she has EMERALDS on her veneers; quick, someone go tweet that theory. <~~ sarcasm

You are correct. "We" don't know what (if anything) was said; only them, as I commented earlier.

My "conjecture" - inasmuch as anyone else's - is merely to opine that contrary to assumptions of abuse and the resulting suggestions, hashtags, and posters on social media telling FLOTUS to "blink twice if she needs rescue", that there are a plethora of other reasonable possibilities that may explain what many assume (in the video) equates to an "abused woman held hostage in a loveless marriage."

My points and conjecture meaning = don't jump to conclusions or assumptions without all the facts ... especially about accusations as serious as abuse. In fact, I find the comments I saw on social media to be pathetically mocking of what is a very real, frightening experience for many. :nono:

WhatheheckOrama--oops! I meant conjecture in the entire thread/in general. Not you in specific, apologies JCJ.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1485234990|4118928 said:
WhatheheckOrama--oops! I meant conjecture in the entire thread/in general. Not you in specific, apologies JCJ.

It's all good! :wavey:

BUT - I did find this article which I think alludes to the source of the matter - those pesky kids! :lol:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/23/watch_melania_trump_s_smile_melt_into_a_frown_at_the_inauguration.html

When you get through the first half (rambling editorialization), it states this:

If you watch the video of Graham’s speech from another angle, it looks like Trump may have been saying something to his son Barron. Perhaps, then, Melania is frowning as a reaction to her son being scolded.

Below is the video noted, and if you watch it, their son does appear fidgety, and I think the Pence daughter was actually giving him (vs Melania) the kind of side-eye reminiscent of peeking at your just-scolded sibling. Barron also appears - afterward - to be quietly saying something to Melania, and when you watch the other video of her, she seems to be quietly saying something back to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeL8odHmEfA

I can't relate to being center stage at the Capitol partaking in an inaugural event witnessed by (enter latest viewer tally per Trump & media) people on the Mall and on tv, but as a parent, I CAN relate to being in public with a young child who wasn't on her best behavior at a time it wasn't feasible to 'lay the smack down,' and instead had to put on my "wait till we get home" face. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not going to interpret what happened in the video though I did feel badly for Melania when I watched that video clip and because being married to Trump cannot be easy. Even if one is "just" being ignored. He treats women as objects or trophies IMO but my opinion doesn't matter.

Rather I am posting in support of all women (and all people in general) who have ever been or are being abused verbally or physically by anybody.

Specifically my heart goes out to all the wonderful and strong PS women who have experienced abuse and I am so sorry you went through that. Hugs to Deb, Callie, Athenaworth, Monnie, Elliot, and anyone else who went through horrible treatment by someone who supposedly loved them. And kudos to you for making it through and coming out even stronger. (((HUGS))).

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I read a article a while ago from the designer who accompanied her to select her wedding dress in Paris. He found her to be very careful how she addressed others, always overly polite,(his words), which seemed to annoy him. He wanted her to relax more. but she wanted to be seen as having good manners and she behaves formally. He said she is very nice, but wished less formality when dealing with others.

So, I think her role is to make Donald proud. If Barron was scolded, it reflects on her, to herself. Sorry, Polyanna me, thinks she wants to please him.

Annette

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me sad to see it, but you can never really know about it someone else's relationship. I remember seeing Michelle throw some eyeball daggers at president Obama on various occasions and they seem to be very happy with each other.

I hope it means nothing for her sake.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1485275953|4119057 said:
So, I think her role is to make Donald proud. If Barron was scolded, it reflects on her, to herself. Sorry, Polyanna me, thinks she wants to please him.

Annette

I think you may be right, and that is what I was alluding to with regard to potential cultural differences, upbringing, etc. a page or so ago.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485237496|4118938 said:
canuk-gal|1485234990|4118928 said:

It's all good! :wavey:

BUT - I did find this article which I think alludes to the source of the matter - those pesky kids! :lol:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/23/watch_melania_trump_s_smile_melt_into_a_frown_at_the_inauguration.html

When you get through the first half (rambling editorialization), it states this:

If you watch the video of Graham’s speech from another angle, it looks like Trump may have been saying something to his son Barron. Perhaps, then, Melania is frowning as a reaction to her son being scolded.

Below is the video noted, and if you watch it, their son does appear fidgety, and I think the Pence daughter was actually giving him (vs Melania) the kind of side-eye reminiscent of peeking at your just-scolded sibling. Barron also appears - afterward - to be quietly saying something to Melania, and when you watch the other video of her, she seems to be quietly saying something back to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeL8odHmEfA

I can't relate to being center stage at the Capitol partaking in an inaugural event witnessed by (enter latest viewer tally per Trump & media) people on the Mall and on tv, but as a parent, I CAN relate to being in public with a young child who wasn't on her best behavior at a time it wasn't feasible to 'lay the smack down,' and instead had to put on my "wait till we get home" face. :lol:

Yes - it does look as if Trump was saying something to his son... that's the most plausible explanation yet. But I think the reactions of those nearby could as easily be compassion for Barron as scolding. In any event, my sympathies go out to any youngster like Barron who's suddenly thrust into the public eye.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485285538|4119118 said:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/24/video-of-melania-trump-looking-petrified-sparks-freemelania/21661658/

I saw this on the aol page. When I first read the title and saw the word petrified I wondered if it is not Donald she is afraid of, but this entire new life that is suddenly being thrust on her.

Knowing how to act in every public situation can be terrifying. Maybe she needs time to grow into it.

I agree it would take a couple time to adapt to changes such as new positions and lifestyles, especially when becoming POTUS and FLOTUS when not previously involved in politics, but that does not explain or excuse the Trump's poor interpersonal interactions.

It is reassuring to see similar stances and expressions in the two pictures comparing incoming Obamas and outgoing Bushes to incoming Trumps and outgoing Obamas. The gravity of position and lack of experience on one side vs. comfort with position and relief to leave on the other. http://9gag.com/gag/a0dAwZz?ref=fbpic

However, this article I came across today does a good job of portraying and describing the body language between the Trumps that I mentioned in a prior post. https://mic.com/articles/166340/trump-melania-dance-inauguration-2017-awkward-behavior-experts-explain-compare-barack-michelle-obama#.YLgPsmAH3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results