shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had there bank prevent them from purchasing jewelry through Adiamor "due to their merchant fraud score"?

ArizonaGuy31

Rough_Rock
Bank told me they wouldn’t allow me to purchase anything through them.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased two stones from them. One by credit card and one by wire. No issues.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bank told me they wouldn’t allow me to purchase anything through them.

That doesnt make sense. I would call the bank. Adiamor isn't a random Ebay vendor, they are a well known and trusted seller.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
If a particular bank has had an unusual amount of chargebacks on purchases from a particular vendor it is possible.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just purchased from them (second purchase in less than two years, both purchases were five figures) with no issues. Used different cards for each purchase (not wire transfers).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a particular bank has had an unusual amount of chargebacks on purchases from a particular vendor it is possible.

That was my first thought as well, assuming he/she is using a CC. OP should press his bank for more details; they want to minimize risk not only for themselves but their customers as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Bank won’t stop you using your money to purchase but if you’re using a Credit Card, it’s their money. It would be to do with the “chargeback” facility permissible on credit card purchases. They may have a $ limit they permit and your purchase is over that limit or perhaps they have been previously had bad dealings with the vendor Adiamor.

ArizonaGuy31

Rough_Rock
That was my first thought as well, assuming he/she is using a CC. OP should press his bank for more details; they want to minimize risk not only for themselves but their customers as well.

I think this is what I am going to do. Get an explanation for why my bank deems them fraudulent.

ArizonaGuy31

Rough_Rock

**UPDATE** The credit card supervisor told me that they have a merchant fraud score of 0-999, with 999 being the most fraudulent. She told me Adiamor had a score around 950. So now I'm really at a loss for what to do next, but I think I need to pause my purchase with them until I can do some even further due diligence. They said they will not allow me to use a credit card OR debit card to complete this purchase, it is that much of a concern for them. This is wearing me out and I think I'm just about to go wave my white flag at the local overpriced Diamonds Direct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**UPDATE** The credit card supervisor told me that they have a merchant fraud score of 0-999, with 999 being the most fraudulent. She told me Adiamor had a score around 950. So now I'm really at a loss for what to do next, but I think I need to pause my purchase with them until I can do some even further due diligence. They said they will not allow me to use a credit card OR debit card to complete this purchase, it is that much of a concern for them. This is wearing me out and I think I'm just about to go wave my white flag at the local overpriced Diamonds Direct.

A debit card is your money, not theirs. The idea that they won't allow you to use your own money is insane. I would understand if it were a CC purchase, but it isn't. I would be furious and demand to speak with a manager.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bank isn’t preventing OP from using their money - they could always wire a payment. They simply aren’t willing provide the payment protections that a credit card or debit card may offer, which is their prerogative.

I haven’t dealt with the vendor in question, but having a bank deny forms of payment is a legitimate reason to pause with concern and consider other options. Evidently other consumers have had to resort to enough chargeback measures in the past to have earned them the score.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are plenty of other places online to buy a diamond - James Allen, B2C, Blue Nile, etc. After what happened with Enchanted Diamonds (is that the name of it), I definitely wouldn’t try to proceed with Adiamor given this information.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Adiamor currently being a featured PS sponsor rely on that sponsor maintaining any financial well being criteria?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are plenty of other places online to buy a diamond - James Allen, B2C, Blue Nile, etc. After what happened with Enchanted Diamonds (is that the name of it), I definitely wouldn’t try to proceed with Adiamor given this information.

I was hesitant to go there, but this was my exact thought...

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Are you trying to purchase a loose diamond? If so it’s most likely in virtual inventory and can be purchased through another vendor.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't go to Diamonds Direct. Your situation is not that dire yet. There are a lot of reputable online vendors out there: Whiteflash, HPD, Brian Gavin, James Allen to name a few. Brian Gavin and WF have beautiful settings to choose from. If you can't get through the door, open a window.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised no one has asked this, but what is the name of the bank, or credit card company, refusing to work with them?

I would be curious to understand what things drive a certain score. For instance, if returns drive the score I could see how most virtual inventory diamond houses like Adiamor, BN, JA, etc would all have potentially high scores.

People buy diamonds online with the intent to inspect with their eyes. If they don't like them, they take advantage of (normally) a 30 day return window.

That's a core root of their business. I wonder how Amazon ranks with your bank? Seems the last half dozen orders we did with them, something was returned. The vendor handled the refund quickly and effortlessly so IMO a return only is not justification for a bad score. Making your life, or the bank's life, hard to do the return is a different story. Not that Amazon is on the same dollar level, but they do a boat load of business and I assume lots of returns as well.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just making sure you realize the prices for diamonds at DD are not firm at all. I negotiated around $6K off my 2.43 ct and over $10K off the price of my 3.33 ct.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't go to Diamonds Direct. Your situation is not that dire yet. There are a lot of reputable online vendors out there: Whiteflash, HPD, Brian Gavin, James Allen to name a few. Brian Gavin and WF have beautiful settings to choose from. If you can't get through the door, open a window.

Ummm... Diamonds Direct is a reputable company... you just have to know what you're looking for (and ask for it specifically). Maybe not the best choice for someone who doesn't want to do their homework, but to infer they may not be reputable is pretty harsh.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm... Diamonds Direct is a reputable company... you just have to know what you're looking for (and ask for it specifically). Maybe not the best choice for someone who doesn't want to do their homework, but to infer they may not be reputable is pretty harsh.

Where did I say that it was disreputable? Nowhere, that's where. The OP seemed to feel that DD was their last shot and I offered alternatives. Lighten up.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did I say that it was disreputable? Nowhere, that's where. The OP seemed to feel that DD was their last shot and I offered alternatives. Lighten up.

Image result for what gif

Okay... I think you took that the wrong way.

I never said that you said DD was disreputable. However, by posting, "Don't go to Diamonds Direct. Your situation is not that dire yet..." might lead one to believe that DD may be less than reputable, lacking in quality, or even a last resort, when in fact, it is none of those things.

I was simply expressing to the OP that it's not a "dire" situation to purchases from them. That's all.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'm surprised no one has asked this, but what is the name of the bank, or credit card company, refusing to work with them?

I would be curious to understand what things drive a certain score. For instance, if returns drive the score I could see how most virtual inventory diamond houses like Adiamor, BN, JA, etc would all have potentially high scores.

People buy diamonds online with the intent to inspect with their eyes. If they don't like them, they take advantage of (normally) a 30 day return window.

That's a core root of their business. I wonder how Amazon ranks with your bank? Seems the last half dozen orders we did with them, something was returned. The vendor handled the refund quickly and effortlessly so IMO a return only is not justification for a bad score. Making your life, or the bank's life, hard to do the return is a different story. Not that Amazon is on the same dollar level, but they do a boat load of business and I assume lots of returns as well.

Returns are not the same thing as chargebacks.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Image result for what gif

Okay... I think you took that the wrong way.

I never said that you said DD was disreputable. However, by posting, "Don't go to Diamonds Direct. Your situation is not that dire yet..." might lead one to believe that DD may be less than reputable, lacking in quality, or even a last resort, when in fact, it is none of those things.

I was simply expressing to the OP that it's not a "dire" situation to purchases from them. That's all.

My post was about choice, not quality. The OP seemed to indicate that it wasn't his first choice and called it overpriced. He didnt seem happy about going, so I told him the situation wasn't so dire - meaning that he wasn't limited to DD, that he had other choices as well. I'm pretty confused as to why I was singled out in the first place. It's not as though *I* said DD was overpriced or indicated that it would have been my last choice. :confused:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My post was about choice, not quality. The OP seemed to indicate that it wasn't his first choice and called it overpriced. He didnt seem happy about going, so I told him the situation wasn't so dire - meaning that he wasn't limited to DD, that he had other choices as well. I'm pretty confused as to why I was singled out in the first place. It's not as though *I* said DD was overpriced or indicated that it would have been my last choice. :confused:

Now that you've explained what you actually meant, I understand what you were trying to convey. However, that's not how it came across to me in your post, and I didn't want the OP (or anyone else) to think DD was subpar. LOL

I'm sorry you've taken this personally, @doberman... I wasn't singling you out; I was only attempting to clarify.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A debit card is your money, not theirs. The idea that they won't allow you to use your own money is insane. I would understand if it were a CC purchase, but it isn't. I would be furious and demand to speak with a manager.

It’s not about ‘who’s money...’; it’s the method/vehicle being used for the transaction. The debit card likely carries similiar ‘protections’ & benefits that the credit card does (e.g. dispute/chargeback capability) by virtue of the Visa logo; therefore, the bank can prevent use of the debit card. OP can probably mail a check or money order/s if he wishes.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This site may be helpful for those curious about returns vs. chargebacks, the chargeback process, and why this is an issue for banks & merchants. It also explains ‘friendly fraud’, which is on the rise, and should encourage us to be more responsible consumers with regard to awareness of merchant policies and what we agree to when making that purchase, as well as consequences to us as consumers for filing false chargeback claims.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I’d ask myself this question: do I trust my bank (who I’ve chosen to keep/manage my money)? If so, I think I’d simply choose another vendor to buy from. I’m not suggesting the vendor is bad, but it’s not like they have something so incredibly unique that you can’t buy it elsewhere easily. Others have already suggested that you can probably find another vendor who can even call in that exact diamond for you, given it’s in virtual inventory. Your bank extends certain protections for you as a consumer and their customer; I think I’d heed their advice in this case and just take your business elsewhere. Folks here will happily help you find alternative options that may even be better than what you found. Good luck!

ArizonaGuy31

Rough_Rock
**UPDATE** Adiamor was kind enough to reach out directly as we tried to figure what was going on with my bank on a conference call. The bank has refused to tell us specifics on a merchant score and were not transparent with their reasoning or methodology. The bank said they would reach back out and did not. After speaking with Adiamors owner I feel completely comfortable with them and purchasing from them. At this point I blame my bank for causing confusion and trouble, and completely failing to clarify or provide any specifics for their arbitrary fraud score. This is not the first time this banks fraud department has seemed to be disorganized and mismanaged (based on previous card locks). I will be switching banks and purchasing my original ring through Adiamor from a new bank card.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ArizonaGuy31 You’re certainly free to switch banks, move forward with the purchase, etc. and I sincerely wish you well on your journey toward engagement.

I’d just point out that - for a host of reasons (security, proprietary, contractual, legal, etc.) - most banks will not provide the details of their fraud score modeling. That said, I can assure you it’s likely not ‘arbitrary’, phony, or done to make your online shopping life hell; it’s to protect their customers and reduce their risk (take a look at the link I posted up-thread this morning). Think about it: if they tell people the ‘inner-workings’ of those things, that opens up the door for people to work around them (not saying you would); and ‘friendly fraud’ is already a growing problem.

If’d be more appropriate for Adiamor (and/or their financial institution) to reach out to your bank, and let them sort it out; it may be a simple error they can quickly/easily resolve (a lot faster than you moving your accounts and waiting for new CC/DCs to arrive), or it *could* be an indication of ‘operational’ problems that could save you some hassle later if you’re unhappy with your purchase. If I were the vendor and felt confident it was an erroneous fraud score, I’d darn sure want to get it cleared up to protect my brand/reputation.

I’ve also had card locks several times, and they’re usually because something about a transaction triggers potential fraud flags; I get a text, confirm the transaction, and all is well in <a minute or two. I’ve also had my CC hacked 3-4 times in the last two years, and my bank was ‘on it’ before I even knew something was happening, and I monitor my accounts practically daily. All that to say, it’s not uncommon these days with online shopping and fraudsters; and, I’d be hard-pressed to change banks over this — it’s more hassle changing auto-pays, direct deposits, setting up online banking/bill pay, etc., and will take time to get new debit/credit plastics, not to mention suffer (albeit temporarily) the credit score dings for having new inquiries. And then, there’s hoping that ‘the’ diamond you picked out is even still available to purchase by the time you get through all of that.

Again, however you proceed, I wish you the best of luck! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results