shape
carat
color
clarity

HARRY WINSTON OR TIFFANY???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 5:07:08 PM
Author: sbear
Thanks again everyone, you guys are so helpful!

So far HW is our #1 pick. The local jeweler called

and found a radiant. Please let me know if you

think it's a good one:

1.71ct

F

vs1

Table: 68%

Depth: 67.7%

7.15x6.29x4.27

symmetry and polysh: very good

$11,973

bee: I think the Lucida is gorgeous, and we like

it that it's very unique. However, the quality of

the stone we're getting is much lower than the HW

for the same price. And we don't know if they offer

any kind of discounts?

Thanks again for your help everyone and please

advice me on that loose stone =)
Does Tiffany offer discounts? No, not to customers not spending $100,000 or more. This is what I have read from an ex-employee.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 10:39:18 PM
Author: Imdanny
Date: 4/18/2009 5:07:08 PM

Thanks again everyone, you guys are so helpful!

So far HW is our #1 pick. The local jeweler called

and found a radiant. Please let me know if you

think it''s a good one:

1.71ct

F

vs1

7.15x6.29x4.27

$11,973

bee: I think the Lucida is gorgeous, and we like

it that it''s very unique. However, the quality of

the stone we''re getting is much lower than the HW

for the same price. And we don''t know if they offer

any kind of discounts?

Thanks again for your help everyone and please

advice me on that loose stone =)

Does Tiffany offer discounts? No, not to customers not spending $100,000 or more. This is what I have read from an ex-employee.

Yeah I remember reading something similar to that too.

futuremrsT

Rough_Rock
HW all the way.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Impossible to go wrong with these choices, no? I can''t wait to see what you get! Please remember to let us know!

sbear

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone. We''re going to look at loose diamonds
tomorrow and will post pictures if they''ll allow us to take any.

We haven''t heard from the sales agent from tiffany''s but we''ll pass
by the mall tomorrow and will try the lucidas again. Hopefully we''ll
narrow our choices down and I really hope we can make our final
decision this coming week. I cannot wait to propose to the most
wonderful girl I''ve ever met!

sbear

Rough_Rock
We looked at loose diamonds today (both radiants):
1.51ct
D color
vs1

F color
vs1

Will post pictures soon and we really need your opinion
again. After seeing so many different sizes, I think she
likes the bigger one better (me too) but the bigger one
is not as pretty....

Her dream ring is the HW 1.56ct but she doesn''t want it
because it''s over the budget. The 1.35ct HW I posted is
nice but I think it''s a bit small for her even though
she''s a size 4.

What do you guys think?

pictures coming soon!

Thanks!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the HW ring, and i really prefer the look to the lucida myself...having said that, i LOVE LOVE LOVE THE Leon five stone ring you posted a link to with the half moons and tapered baguettes. but that''s just my personal preference....

i also think the pic of the one on her hand of the 1.3 HW was plenty large - it really suited her and i thought it looked huge!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:52:52 PM
Author: violet3
i also think the pic of the one on her hand of the 1.3 HW was plenty large - it really suited her and i thought it looked huge!

Ditto. My true and honest opinion is that 1.35 on a size 4 is "plenty large." I think 1.3- 1.4 would be plenty large and on a size going way above 4, to be honest.

I think, and I say this in all kindness, she might have been dazzled by the 1.56 (who wouldn't be) but the 1.35 looks great on her. Your picture proves it.

Also, while we're being honest, I like the HW best (apparently many posters agree with me). I'm reminded of something I read at pricescope by I don't remember which poster (sorry!), very wise words, she said, it's not about only the stone, what you're buying is the piece of jewelry. Technically, the jewel. As such, I like the HW ring best.

She should be very careful to refuse a ring like that as most people will never even see something like that in a lifetime, let alone own it.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox! I know different people will, of course, have different opinions, and only the two of you can make the decision.
1.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
decisions...decisions... :) I can''t wait to see what you guys choose! How exciting!!!

sbear

Rough_Rock
violet3 and Imdanny:
Thanks for your inputs. The 1.35ct sounds ''large'' for her finger size
but a 1.35ct radiant is not as large as a round diamond. We compared
a 1.71 radiant with a 1.5 round and the round still looked larger.
Unfortunately, she doesn''t like rounds, only radiants and cushions.
The picture I posted was a very close shot, therefore it made the diamond
appear larger. I have a picture of the ring farther away, and I think it
looks a little small.

Winston H.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm...i agree that it does look smaller than the other picture, but i don't think it looks small. I know how different cuts can face up smaller, so i understand what you are saying, but this is still a lovely size on her hand.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sir, I will stand by my opinion. I think it looks great on her! We know about RB's facing up larger and all that. Also, please consider that the side stones mean that diamonds cross her entire finger. And, frankly speaking, she is lucky to have such small hands. She's lovely. So is the ring. Honestly, look at the angle of the side stone as it flows into the angle of the metal on each side. Wow. I hope that's the one you'll get. I'd like to see more pictures.
27.gif

sbear

Rough_Rock
This is the 1.56ct she loved from HW. This one is more rectangular
than the 1.35ct and after seeing the loose diamonds today, we both
like the rectangular look more. I guess this cuts the HW 1.35ct out...

107297.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My goodness. That's even better! I can see why you both like that one. If it weren't to be ruled out, it would be a stunning choice. No wonder she liked it best.

sbear

Rough_Rock
Hi Imdanny:

I''m glad you think this one looks better. It looks even better
in person. I like it too but it''s over the budget and even with
a discount, it will still be over budget. Our choice now is to
get the loose 1.51ct and send it to Leon or get the Lucida....

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome.

Moving on, my opinion is, then,

I like the option of Leon best. Just my 2 cents.

Finally, you are now beyond my realm of expertise, but I think that many people at pricescope can help you decide between stones. What I've read in my short time here is that these stones are very hard to tell from statistics. Posters that can help you consider this option might want pictures? As much information as can get...

The Lucida seems very "modern" (and I don't mean that negatively or positively) compared to these Harry Winston cuts. It's definitely got its own patented quality to it. They just seem like very different choices. I guess an advantage of the Lucida would be that you can buy it and walk out with it.

sbear

Rough_Rock
Here''s the first loose diamond:
1.71ct
F color
vs2

She loves the size and as you can see, it looks perfect on her.
The problem with this diamond is that it has medium florescence
and she wants none. But the size if perfect. What do you guys
think?

0721.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
The picture is just a blur as far as telling anything about the cut. I agree with her in that I wouldn't want florescence (just a personal opinion sort of thing). The size is great, obviously.

sbear

Rough_Rock
This is loose stone #2:
1.51ct
D color
vs1
no florescence

Love the color and the sparkle, just a bit smaller than the other one

1.51.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
So these are the stats for #1.

1.71ct

F

vs1

7.15x6.29x4.27

I'd like others to comment, but is the "very good" a concern for a stone like this?

Do you have the specifications for #2?

sbear

Rough_Rock
Imdanny:

Yes, here are the specs for #2:

1.51ct
depth: 75.0%
table: 72%
7.37x5.38x4.37
vs1
symmetry and polish: good
girdle: slightly thick to very thick

btw, #1 is a vs2

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Now I will be interested in what others have to say!

sbear

Rough_Rock
me too!

sbear

Rough_Rock
Because she likes the size of the 1.71 ct but the color of the 1.51ct,
she found this stone on Bluenile

http://www.bluenile.com/radiant-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-e-color-vs1-clarity_LD01123276?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

olivia88

Rough_Rock
THE 1.56 HARRY WINSTON IS GORGEOUS!!! But since you mentioned it''s out of your range,
I think you should have leon set the ring for you with the loose stone (1.51 D color)

the one from bluenile sounds like a good deal in my opinion, but do you really want to
buy a diamond you can''t see first hand?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 3:13:53 AM
Here''s the first loose diamond:

1.71ct

F color

vs2

She loves the size and as you can see, it looks perfect on her.

The problem with this diamond is that it has medium florescence

and she wants none. But the size if perfect. What do you guys

think?

I love this one but I happen to love florescence and actually hope my next diamond has it! the size does look great on her.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask why she has an issue with flor? Many people have it and from what I''ve read, actually makes some stones appear more white. Its not like there is a visual difference between the two. If she likes the size of the first one, I''d get that one. Tell her what on a cert. isnt really going to matter much afterwards. If she loves it that is all that matters. IMO I think you should use the stats of stones to as a guideline, and then let your eyes and heart do the talking...not say...well I like this stone better BUT beacuse of the stats I''m not going to get it....thats just my 2cents.

Good luck!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Sbear – I think that ANY of the diamonds that you have looked at are PLENTY enough in size for a size 4 finger. It is easy to loose a little perspective when looking at so many rings.... especially big, gorgeous pieces. I don''t think you or your GF will be disappointed when you take your baby home, even if it is in the size range of the smallest stone you''ve mentioned.

Between the two you just posted, I prefer the 1.71 F. I like that it is just UNDER 1-3/4cts whereas the 1.51 is just OVER 1-1/2cts; I''d rather pay for the size of the 1.71 F-color than pay for the highest D color of the 1.51; I prefer the stats on the 1.71; I like the proportions better; the fluorescence doesn''t bother me at all; and it looks gorgeous on her hand. However, this is MY opinion, not yours or your GF''s – the only two opinions that count. Really, when you think about it, since size seems to be a big factor here, you both may need to give up some aspect of your ideal diamond in order to financially swing your dream ring. That possibly being the case, as far as these two diamonds go, fluorescence is a small price to pay in order to get the size/width stone you prefer, don''t you think?

Or, maybe, as others have suggested, you still haven''t found the right one yet?

Since you continue to seem a little unsure and "unsettled" about your choices, why not try sourcing a stone from some of the online folks that posters have recommended? I really do think you will be pleased. The only downside is timing. It will take longer to build a ring. Is this an important factor for you? I realize that you are terribly excited. And, rightly so. However, I''d hate to see you rush into a big, important purchase like this simply because you are trying to meet a self-imposed proposal deadline... You WILL find the right diamond and the right ring. And, when it is right, you WILL know it.

All that being said, if you are unsure about loose stones or dealing with vendors you don''t know (in person or online), or you NEED to do this quickly, then, based upon what you''ve said and what I''ve seen here, I''d tell you to go with the Harry Winston.

Best wishes and enjoy the hunt!

sbear

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your help. Yes, we are very
undecided right now but I believe she will find ''the one''

There are 3 lucidas waiting for us to see and we''ll make
our final decision then.

The florescence on one of the diamonds doesn''t bother me
either, but it didn''t look as pretty as the 1.51ct. I
think that was a gorgeous stone but I saw her face when
she looked at it and I could tell she didn''t love it.
Until I see that "WOW!" or "OMG!!" or speechless reaction,
then, I will know it is THE ONE.

I don''t have a deadline to propose. Just want to find the
right ring.
Thanks again.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
You know, after skimming through the thread again, it does seem that all along you have had a soft spot for the Lucidas. Seems like it''s been more about what you can get for the money from T''s (a viable consideration), rather than a design issue, no? Every stone and setting has a character all its own... so, I hope that soon your GF has the excited reaction that you''ve been hoping to see!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results