shape
carat
color
clarity

HARRY WINSTON OR TIFFANY???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m interested to see what your thoughts are once you see the lucida''s again. Although the HW''s are incredible I just love the lucida and I wear the same size ring as your GF.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The florescence is not the factor in the stone not looking as good as another. Medium florescence is only going to be seen if you hold the stone under a black light. It may be that the cut is not optimal, but any negatives about the appearance is not because of the florescence. I''d be happy to have the florescence, actually.

sbear

Rough_Rock
No florescence, so I''m not getting the 1.71ct.
1.35ct HW is a bit small, so that''s out.
1.56ct HW would be ideal but too expensive.
1.51ct, loose diamond, setting would take
too long, Leon is too far, and even though
he can make the double claw prongs which she
loves, it would be copying HW. She likes her
stuff to be unique.
Lucida....we''ll see what happens tomorrow...

lovingdiamonds:
your ring is very beautiful. I hope I can
find something as beautiful as yours for my
gf

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
you have a lot of great options...I would choose a loose stone that you fall in love with or Harry Winston!

sbear

Rough_Rock
luthergirl:
I have erased both HW from the list.
Getting a loose diamond still has a
chance but just the idea of mailing it
to Leon and not be able to see the final
product, ect. seems like it would take
forever.

We just came back from Tiffany and liked
the lucida a lot. There are two similar
ones we like:

1.31, G, vvs2 over 19K
1.32, I, vvs2 over 13K

I wouldn''t mind the second one but she says
there''s more yellow on the I than the G. I
couldn''t tell under the skylight. I would
get that one if she approved. It''s just so
weird how there''s a 6 thousand dollar difference
for the color. Does it really matter?

19K is over the budget and I don''t know if they''ll
negotiate on the price.

What do you guys think?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I just can''t imagine wasting money on Tiffany. They''ve really lost their cachet IMO and are basically just a tarted up Robbins Bros at this point
20.gif

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of the radiant with baguettes but I am a little biased as I have one myself by Leon (but with single claw prongs). I vote for going the Leon route and getting it made exactly like she wants it.

The side baguettes are a classic design and I don''t feel like I copied HW when making mine. Here is a picture of my ring though so you can see the possibilities of what Leon can do. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-3-stone-e-ring-is-finished.84338/

asforhim

Rough_Rock
I just can''t imagine wasting money on Tiffany. They''ve really lost their cachet IMO and are basically just a tarted up Robbins Bros at this point

I totally agree with purrfectpear... DON"T waste your money at Tiffany.

The only great jewelers IMO are Harry Winston, Cartier, Van Cleef and Graff (maybe one or two more).

The only nice products I''ve seen coming from Tiffany these days is the high jewelery (>100K).

Go with loose and have set by LM or go HW!!!

sbear

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. You guys are awesome.

Emeraldfan:
Your ring is spectacular. No wonder my gf likes Leon''s
work, she says he''s an outstanding craftsman and I totally
agree. Would you mind telling me your experience with Leon?
How did you end up with that look for your ring? Is he
easy to work with? Pardon me for all this questions but since
you know what the process is that will help us a lot if we
decide to go with a loose diamond. Any information you can
provide me with I''d greatly appreciate it.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Hi sbear,

Thanks for the compliment on my ring. I ended up with that look for my ring as I was always drawn to the classic emerald cut with side baguettes - so classic and timeless. I however went to try them on but was not impressed with the step cut as much as I thought I would be - I wanted a rectangular stone that sparkled, and ended up with this original radiant cut instead. I originally had my e-ring made by a local jeweler because I was concerned about shipping off my stone to Leon as well and about not having as much creative control in the process. Unfortunately, I was never really happy with how clunky and less delicate the original e-ring was and wanted a re-set by Leon almost immediately.

My experience with Leon was pretty positive for the most part. The process itself was fairly easy and took about 10 weeks. Also, I had my stones but he can source baguettes he feels go perfect with the center. Basically, I called him and emailed him pictures of what I wanted and did see him in NYC in person when I happened to fly into town. I believe he can be a little abrasive but his quality and craftsmanship speaks for itself. Also, the band and claw prongs are a lot more delicate in person. I love how he set the baguettes so they seemlessly angle up into the center stone (he used tiny claw prongs to hold the top part of the baguettes in which means you don't see any plantinum bar between the center stone). My one wish with my e-ring is that he had set it a little lower like he traditionally does - if you read my thread post he made my center stone sit slightly higher in order for my ginourmous wedding band to sit flush and if I would have known I would have told him not to. Even with that though, I have to say Leon was very accomodating as to my requests and changes and I would still definitely use him in the future.

In the end all the hassle and worry about trusting him with my diamonds and not having creative control was silly on my part. I can't tell you how many compliments I get on my ring. If you decide to go with Leon you will not be disappointed. His work rivals HW and with a bigger center stone that you could afford by going with Leon, what's not to love.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I really loved that 1.51 ct rectangular radiant with the sidestones from Harry Winston. You could have Leon make something like that, and you can''t go wrong. If you go with a more elongated shape stone, it will look larger than a squarish one. I think that all of your options are great - the ring is going to be spectacular.

ilovedogs

Rough_Rock
I have been following your saga and if I can add anything to this it is this....do not settle, if you want the Leon then take the time to get the Leon. Yes, it will take a while but so worth it. I have been married for 1 year, engaed for 2 1/2 and am on my 3rd setting, yes 3rd!! Why?? Because I settled each time, never wanting to wait to get the setting I really wanted.

And totally agree with everyone...Tiffany is not that special anymore. Go for the Leon, I know I would-:)

Just my 2 cents.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I love the Lucida. I think it''s very elegant and one of a kind. As far as Tiffany not being prestigous, that''s not the case. It is still really expensive and still only available to people that can afford it. So as long as it''s expensive, it will be a store for the "haves" while the "have nots" will still not be able to shop there. Now with the credit crunch, it will be even more exclusive as only those with deep pockets, not credit cards, can shop there.

I think what it should come down to is how important the name is to your girlfriend. You really need to ask her. I went for the name and the quality control that comes with it. I sacrificed size for the name and have never regreted it... but that''s how I am. So find out what she thinks.

Keep checking back-maybe you''ll find an H in the Lucida.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
as redrose229 pointed out, i wouldn''t rule out GoodOldGold

he''s also got some AWESOME videos of his stones that i think take any hesitation out of buying online.
i mean, here are 35 videos of cushion cut diamonds!
30.gif
http://www.vimeo.com/album/44206

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 12:01:25 AM
Author: Diamond Confused
I love the Lucida. I think it's very elegant and one of a kind. As far as Tiffany not being prestigous, that's not the case. It is still really expensive and still only available to people that can afford it. So as long as it's expensive, it will be a store for the 'haves' while the 'have nots' will still not be able to shop there. Now with the credit crunch, it will be even more exclusive as only those with deep pockets, not credit cards, can shop there.

I think what it should come down to is how important the name is to your girlfriend. You really need to ask her. I went for the name and the quality control that comes with it. I sacrificed size for the name and have never regreted it... but that's how I am. So find out what she thinks.

Keep checking back-maybe you'll find an H in the Lucida.

Second. It is one of a kind because it's patented. The Lucida platinum and gold bands are patented too. The platinum is 950 and ruthenium is the alloy. The ring is what you see when you take it out of the store, and the quality control is guaranteed. I wouldn't spend very much of my time worrying about whether Tiffany was "prestigious" myself.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:03:45 AM
Author: Namaste
as redrose229 pointed out, i wouldn''t rule out GoodOldGold

he''s also got some AWESOME videos of his stones that i think take any hesitation out of buying online.

i mean, here are 35 videos of cushion cut diamonds!
30.gif
http://www.vimeo.com/album/44206

30.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
You'll know it when you see it; follow your gut and your heart. At this point, I wouldn't worry so much whether it is Tiffany, HW, GOG, Leon, or local jeweler... it is more about finding or making the most suitable and desirable piece in the right time frame for your GF, and her alone. And, I think you've figured that out. The premise of this thread was about making a choice between two big-name brick and mortar jewelers. PSers shared thoughtful and knowledgeable advice, excellent options, and varied opinions. You're now armed with enough sparkly intelligence to make informed decisions, and I think you now recognize the ups and downs of each choice available to you. Really, there is no right or wrong here, just what is best for you and your GF.

Regarding color, everyone sees color a bit differently. Even if you can't see the color difference between two stones, it could be that your GF can. Some people find the slight (and I mean SLIGHT) tint of an I-color stone objectionable, others do not. Most can't see it, especially when it is on a hand and not next to another higher-colored stone. Honestly, the intrinsic nature of each individual stone, coupled with cutting, setting, and lighting make each diamond different, regardless of someone's "official" color grade. I have a GIA top light diamond that often looks more colorless than some of my higher-colored diamonds. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the I-colored diamond. But, if it is objectionable to your GF, you may have to go another route. The savings you mention between the I-color and the G-color Tiffany rings is huge and makes it is worth thinking about sourcing your own diamond or waiting for another, hopefully H-color, to come along in the same style ring.

Remember, there are ALWAYS stunning rings and gems that are outside one's comfort zone in terms of price. They will ALWAYS look KILLER. Some will be memorable long after you've seen them. Keep your head. I still remember two stunning rings that were TO DIE FOR, but, too pricey for us. I love thinking about them and still hope that someday, I'll be able to find or recreate something similar as a RHR. But, I wouldn't trade my ER for the world. When all is said and done, given your diamond knowledge and attention to her desires, your GF will feel the same way about her beloved ring as well.

Sometimes, a special gem catches your eye and heart, and things just take their own course. For example, if someone had asked me which I'd choose to source an ER – Harry Winston, Tiffany or Leon Mege – Tiffany would have been my LAST choice out of the three, for all kinds of reasons. As it turned out, for all kinds of reasons, I ended up with a Tiffany ring and it was NOT because of the name (it was really quite despite the name, LOL!). My ring was, by far and away, meant to be mine and this fact was instantly obvious to us when we found it. Today, I wouldn't trade my gorgeous ring for the world... Oh, it is an I-color, BTW.
2.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I REALLY like the Lucida (personally the rectangle)- if your GF does too, keep a look-out for one that fits the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results