shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston... About to buy but torn.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:02:07 PM
Author: cutey TT
Hi. This is actually my first post, but I''ve been reading PS and DT for weeks. WhiteSox - I think that whether you go with the RB w/ baguettes or the square EC, your fiancee will be thrilled. I agree with the previous posters...I think that asking HW for additional stones / rings to consider is not unreasonable, and if their customer service is as great as everyone says, then I''m sure they''ll be more than accommodating.

I am personally very interested in your situation because I am starting to begin the process of looking for an upgrade e-ring. I am *in love* with a particular ring on the HW website (3 ct oval w/ half moon sides). I live in Houston, TX but am hoping to convince my husband to make a trip out to NYC to visit HW...maybe next summer for a friend''s wedding. I find it extremely interesting that HW is willing to negotiate prices...otherwise, I am considering having a similar 3-stone ring made by Leon Mege with a center stone purchased at Whiteflash (since I would be able to see their stones in person very easily). My husband has given me a very generous budget, but I saw a similar 3 ct oval w/ half moon sides at the Cartier store in Houston, and its sticker price was $100K (over-budget!!!).

Anyway, my last question has to do with how you would receive your ring (once you finally decide). I believe you mentioned that you work in Europe, so would you have them send the ring to you next day delivery? I''m wondering if I were to buy something at HW and had it shipped to my home in Houston, TX...would I still need to pay sales tax? Or would it be considered a local purchase since I visited the store and was able to look at their various products?

Thanks and good luck!
Hi... to answer some of your questions. You could just have them ship it from NY or their Beverly Hills location. I love that 3ct ring on the site as well. Way out of my budget of course =) I also love the Leon Mege settings.

Regarding Harry Winston, you should definitely visit them. Of course the price all depends on the specs... they only carry F, VS2 and above as far as I know. That made it tough because I was hoping to go for a G round and go for size at first. However, my fiancee to be said 2 cts seemed to big for her... lucky me =). So regarding the prices, I''m not really sure beyond what I was quoted for the rings I am looking for. I think a round 1.75 was $36K. Also, regarding negotiation, I dont think you can go flat out and ask for one. I hope someone would go try this but in my case and the other I''ve read here, they offered the discount. Not sure what makes them do it... perhaps if you pick a ring you are semi interested in and look really interested in another with a higher price tag (10-30% higher), they may do you the favor of saying "we''ll give you this for X price to accommodate you". I felt if you asked them, the big bad man at the door would be asked to take you out. JK =) I dont know about you but I didnt want to be put into the awkward silent moment at HW asking for a discount on a ring below $30K. If I were rich and buying something for a million bucks, I would be abnoxious as hell and cut the price... haha. Funny how that works?! I hear famous rich people often times get things for free in high class jewelers because they act as marketing tools and make big purchases.

Anyway, let me know if you need more help and good luck!

WS

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitesox, any closer to deciding??

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitesox, I was going to say go for the emerald cut. You can do the research and get a beautiful round cut over the internet, but if going to a designer place might as well take advantage of their eyes and get the fancy cut. I''m sure they pick out nice looking diamonds.
Just convert the mms into inches. I''m sure when the Bible was written we hadn''t converted to the metric system yet
1.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/21/2005 3:23:54 AM
Author: WhiteSox

I''ve heard of people find diamonds with dates on the measurements and such... of course they got lucky but they got their anniversary and such.
Some people look for it... I didnt because its just ridiculous and probably impossible to find
What a great idea! But, I guess getting married between January and April would be tough 1.15mm or 4.16mm
31.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
WhiteSox.

Haha, thanks for your advice. I agree with you...I don''t think it would be prudent to flat-out ask for a discount. I definitely want to check HW out though the next time I''m in NY... Perhaps they''ll come down 30% on *that* oval + half moons ring and make the price more palatable. I am SUCH A NUT...I actually called them up and expressed interest in that particular ring, and the salesman I spoke to was like, "I know which one you''re talking about...that one has a 3 carat center oval and is $89K." I was actually pretty surprised since the Cartier one I saw was also a 3 carat center oval (F, VS1) and that one cost $100K. So yeah, if HW came down 30% on an $89K ring, I think I could convince my husband that a little extra for the brand name is worth it!

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster...and especially since you''re buying this ring sight-unseen. Perhaps you want to go with the fancy shape - square EC. I''ve read over and over again that for the fancies, you really need to see the stone in person, whereas with the RBs you can pretty much just look at the specs / measurements. Knowing that HW handpicks each and every one of their diamonds, you know for sure that you''ll be getting a great square EC with lots of fire.

Also, I think that because the square EC is less common, a lot more people will ask where the ring was purchased (at least get a little credit for it being a HW). Versus the RB with baguettes - you definitely see it more often, you can pretty much get it anywhere and tons of people have it.

Just my .02, hope it helps a little. I can''t wait for HW to send pictures of new rings for you to consider.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
any decision whitesox? i''ve been trying to keep up with your thread to see what happens!
1.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am anxious for his decision also.

Cutey TT - keep us posted on your search. I love that oval on HW also - very pretty. I am really starting to like ovals.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Soooo???? Which did you buy!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am waiting for hand shots and romantic stories...

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Darn! I saw a new post and was all set to hear more about this, LOL! I wanna know too!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I have been following this thread for so long!!! I wonder if WhiteSox has made a decision yet... either ring would be divine!!!!
2.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I am anxious to find out his decision as well.

WhiteSox!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
WOW I guessed I missed it, too late for my input but curious to see the final decision!

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!
Sorry for being so MIA. I''ve been flying around quite a bit since last week and I havent had any chance to logon to Pricescope.
Anyway, I have decided =)
I have decided to go with the
round and baguettes!
I actuallly went up to HW again to look at both rings.
Both were about the same price and looking at them, initially...
I was going to go with the Square EC, but then the round was so brilliant and when I put the two on the hands of someone there, the round with the baguettes won hands down.
The Square EC just didnt have the magic on the hand... maybe it was the size. And, it seemed liked it would slide back and forth.
The 1.5 round also seemed much bigger than the 1.7 Square EC. Perhaps someday I will get her one of these as well... someday far far away ^^;;
However, my biggest concern was that I thought it would look to "old" like people mentioned but when I saw it there I new she would be thrilled with it.
It looked classic and exciting at the same time... at least to me it did.
They said it would take about 3 weeks to set it and I dont know when I will have a chance to pick it up...
I will post a pic as soon as I have one.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
WS

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
How thrilling! I am very excited for you and your fiance. When you pick that baby up, please be sure to get some good photos. Maybe they will even take some for you! Please post them, we are all waiting with baited breath.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
Yay whitesox, what an excellent choice you made, soooo happy for you. I know how hard it was, but you made the right choice in my book. Sooo glad you came back to let us know. Please be a sweetie and come back to give us lots of pics. I know we can be a pain in the butt, but we do care and would love to see hand shots as well. It''s not everyday we get to see a fine HW ring on here. Congratulations from someone that is thrilled for you!!!!
1.gif

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
congratulations on deciding! thanks for the update
1.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear the news - I thought maybe we had lost you forever
20.gif
!

Your pick would have been my pick as well but the important thing is that you made the choice you were most comfortable with. Best wishes to the both of you.

Please remember to post lots of pics as soon as you receive the ring - we just LOVE pics!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know she''s going to love it. I can''t wait to see the pics. any idea''s on how you''re going to propose?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I am happy too. I too was afraid we''d lost you, and I was very interested to see what you''d pick. I am so glad that when you saw them in person you just knew. That is the best way. I just can''t tell from pictures alone!
I can''t wait to hear more and see the hand pics etc....

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!
36.gif
Good choice! The round with baguettes are such a classic, you can never go wrong. I do not think the style looks "old" at all, and I''m only in my mid 20''s! That was one of my considerations for my own e-ring until we decided to go with a custom pave setting.

I can''t wait to see pics!!! Remember to post as many as possible. You know we can never have enough!
2.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
WS.

Congrats on making a decision! Sounds like when you saw them again in person, you knew right away! Wonderful, that''s the way it should be right? You should just see it and love it.

You mentioned that it will take 3 weeks to set it? Set it or size it? Isn''t it already set?

Thanks and can''t wait to see pix.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~WhiteSox, I''m glad you made your decision!!! She will love it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
YEAY!
Make sure you tell us all about the proposal and her reaction.
Pictures, including hand pics.
Congratulations!

Scintillating...

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I''m looking forward to the hand pictures. Keep in touch!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
WhiteSox, I''m too late on this thread as you''ve decided on round, but I''ve been reading this thread and looking at all the shots and . . . the square cut is simply stunning. I would go with that. After all, her other friends may have square cuts, but their fiances didn''t do their research on Pricescope and her diamond will out-flash all of theirs put together. I hope you go with the square cut, it is wonderful and unique.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, just noticed you saw them in person and the RB was much nicer . . . well, can''t wait to see the pictures! I''m sure she''ll love it! Congratulations!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Excellent choice...I was hoping you''d choose this one.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 8:27:49 PM
Author: WhiteSox
Hi Everyone!
Sorry for being so MIA. I''ve been flying around quite a bit since last week and I havent had any chance to logon to Pricescope.
Anyway, I have decided =)
I have decided to go with the <drum roll>
round and baguettes!
I actuallly went up to HW again to look at both rings.
Both were about the same price and looking at them, initially...
I was going to go with the Square EC, but then the round was so brilliant and when I put the two on the hands of someone there, the round with the baguettes won hands down.
The Square EC just didnt have the magic on the hand... maybe it was the size. And, it seemed liked it would slide back and forth.
The 1.5 round also seemed much bigger than the 1.7 Square EC. Perhaps someday I will get her one of these as well... someday far far away ^^;;
However, my biggest concern was that I thought it would look to ''old'' like people mentioned but when I saw it there I new she would be thrilled with it.
It looked classic and exciting at the same time... at least to me it did.
They said it would take about 3 weeks to set it and I dont know when I will have a chance to pick it up...
I will post a pic as soon as I have one.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
WS
Oh yea! I am so glad you got that one! Congrats! Cannot wait for photos!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you went with the rb too- I think that style is absolutely gorgeous; she will be thrilled!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results