shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston... About to buy but torn.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
...the only thing that would be indefinable is my stupidity if I purchased a diamond without investigating cut at all
IF I had the means, and IF I wasn't the total diamond/gemstone geek that I am, and IF I wasn't interested in learning all this geekish stuff...then buying a diamond at HW (or Cartier, or VCA..fill in the blank) makes sense in that I could be confident that I'd get a beautiful diamond without looking at a piece of paper or reading a report, or contemplating pavillion angles and light return...

And....here we go again
20.gif
....I think there IS something special about an ering coming from one of the "Big Names"...more than just the color of the box it comes in.

Maybe the "something indefinable" referred to above is demonstrated by the fact that Whitesox's quandry has generated four pages of input and 2400 hits...I suspect it wouldn't have been so "interesting" if HW hadn't been in the title...

As ususal...JMO
2.gif

widget

koko

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the EC. If she is minimalist, likes clean lines, doesn''t like to wear lots of jewelry, and prefers traditional designs, I''d definitely stay with the EC. If she is more romantic, sentimental, and prefers Laura Ashley over Ralph Lauren, then I''d go with the RB....just my 2 cts....
13.gif

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Would you be upset in this situation? I feel like things are just never easy for me. I was warming up to the 1.7 ct SEC but I got the measurements and one of the sides was 6.66 millimeters. I''m never going to buy that!

I may ask for something a bit bigger or go with the round.
Is it just me or should I be upset they tried to sell me this? Maybe they didnt know until I asked... or maybe people dont mind.
Personally, this just made me feel bad.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
I''m a little late but thought I''d chip in my two cents.

I definitely would go with the emerald cut over the round brilliant. Why pay all of that money for a HW piece, just to get a plain basic ring that looks like you could get it anywhere? I think an emerald cut is definitely classic, but also less common than rounds, so it''s something special. But an emerald cut is not trendy like the princess cut is right now....emerald cuts are classic and elegant and will be in style in 10-20 years (just like those oh so popular rounds) whereas I think princess cuts will look a bit dated then.

The pictures you posted from HW....I really don''t like the ring with a round center and baguette sides. I think it looks mismatched. An emerald cut with 2 baguettes like that would look much, much nicer and more complementary for the stones to each other. I don''t always love a emerald cut center stone with baguettes, mind you, but I definitely would rather have that then the round with baguettes.

Also, I absolutely love the Pave Diamond setting from Harry Winston. It is still classic and elegant but with a little bit of pizzazz. That being said, I wouldn''t get it for your girlfriend either. I think with a center stone that is close to 2 carats, you don''t need a halo. Halos are very popular right now but I think they will fall out of favor in a few years and she''ll get tired of it. Also, with a center stone that large, you should let it shine on its own, and not clutter it up with a halo. Good luck!

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
PS:

If you are not happy with the square-emerald-cut, then I would definitely ask them for another. Don''t automatically just go with the round cut because of process of elimination, and because you''re tired of looking and you just want to buy something. You''re spending a good amount of money so you should not fork it over until you''re 110% satisfied!
1.gif
And I''d ask them for a rectangular emerald cut instead. I think a longer (rectangular) emerald cut looks nicer than a square one. But that''s just personal preference.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 11:29:16 PM
Author: WhiteSox
Would you be upset in this situation? I feel like things are just never easy for me. I was warming up to the 1.7 ct SEC but I got the measurements and one of the sides was 6.66 millimeters. I''m never going to buy that!

Is it just me or should I be upset they tried to sell me this? Maybe they didnt know until I asked... or maybe people dont mind.
There is nothing wrong with that number.

G''bye and good luck!

widget

Jelly

Ideal_Rock

It''s funny about the 6.66mm. I''m Asian and four is an unlucky number associated with death. In the back of my mind I wanted to stay away from a four pronged head because of this. I got it anyway because I liked the look and my diamond was too small for a 6 pronged head.

Maybe the 6.66 is trying to tell you something!
27.gif
29.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

I don''t understand what made you feel bad. What about the measurement was upsetting to you? If it''s that it won''t look as big as a round of the same size, well, that''s just the nature of emerald cuts. My understanding is that one of the reasons you went with HW is because you trust that HW will only stock nice stones. I''m sure the 1.7 is perfectly lovely. Will it face up as big as other 1.7 ecs? Hard to say. I hate to say this, but if you want an EC that faces up quite large (as large as a 2 ct round, for instance) you will have to go with a stone that is over (perhaps well over) 2 carats. Do I understand your dilemma?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
If i understand correctly, it''s because "666" is a sign of the devil.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:29:02 AM
Author: Demelza

I don''t understand what made you feel bad. What about the measurement was upsetting to you? If it''s that it won''t look as big as a round of the same size, well, that''s just the nature of emerald cuts. My understanding is that one of the reasons you went with HW is because you trust that HW will only stock nice stones. I''m sure the 1.7 is perfectly lovely. Will it face up as big as other 1.7 ecs? Hard to say. I hate to say this, but if you want an EC that faces up quite large (as large as a 2 ct round, for instance) you will have to go with a stone that is over (perhaps well over) 2 carats. Do I understand your dilemma?

I actually think it''s not the size that he was worried about, it''s the actual number 6.66. I might be wrong, but isn''t 666 the sign or number of the devil? OR something like that.
2.gif
32.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
There is one thing to consider that no one has brought up. If your fiance is at all fastidious about her ring, she will have to clean that EC all the time! I should say, if she''s like me. I think I would rather have an EC for a coctail ring, but something I wear every day I do not want to fret over how clean it is. Step cuts, because of how they reflect light, need to be very high clarity and, IMO, clean all the time! I have a setting with baguettes going north/south on each side and it drove me to distraction trying to keep them clean so they would sparkle properly. Now, one (or two) baguette(s) going east/west on each side would not be so troublesome.

I love Harry Winston. On my budget, with my money, I would personally go for a larger stone from an on-line vendor. But, if I had a good budget and a specific size in mind and could afford HW, I definitely would do it. The service you would have after the sale would be amazing (I would hope) and it would be something you could definitely pass down. It WOULD be a wonderful legacy.

I vote for the round. All her friends are getting EC''s. The round with the baguettes is a timeless classic and will never be trendy. As much as I love the halos, in a few decades they are going to scream "2005!" That in itself could be really wonderful because then in about five decades it will be vintage and classic, but if you want timeless, go for the round and baguettes.

Another thing to consider is the wedding band. I assume you would have HW make a baguette band that would fit up against the engagement ring??? That''s what I would do, personally.

JMO.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Huh?
33.gif
You are kidding aren't you? [Edited: My husband convinced me to take out this part...he thought it was rude]

Of all the reasons I have read on this board for buying a diamond, for not liking a diamond, for not buying a diamond etc. this must be one of the most.... never mind.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:35:15 AM
Author: Jelly
If i understand correctly, it''s because ''666'' is a sign of the devil.

If this is true, I honestly don''t know what to say...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.66 mm means anywhere from 6.6550 to 6.6649

I wouldn't be worried.

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 1:35:59 AM
Author: JulieN
6.66 mm means anywhere from 6.6550 to 6.6649

I wouldn''t be worried.
If it is 6.6578493.... I wouldnt mind at all,
but my gf is Christian and I think it wouldnt be nice to have measurements that were 6.66 since it''s religiously the mark of the devil.
Imagine rolling into church everyday with a license plate that said HV666J. That''s a bit different because its showing but I think you get what I mean.
I know it sounds extreme but put yourself in the shoes of a believer and have the mark of the beast on your ring finger everyday
32.gif

It''s like some people dont like the number 13 or 4 if you are asian.
Seems like most of you dont think its a big deal =) Just curious.
I''ll probably just ask for a different size.

WS

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 1:17:41 AM
Author: Maya Moonstone
Huh?
33.gif
You are kidding aren''t you? [Edited: My husband convinced me to take out this part...he thought it was rude]

Of all the reasons I have read on this board for buying a diamond, for not liking a diamond, for not buying a diamond etc. this must be one of the most.... never mind.
I dont think it is that off =)
I''ve heard of people find diamonds with dates on the measurements and such... of course they got lucky but they got their anniversary and such.
Some people look for it... I didnt because its just ridiculous and probably impossible to find but I didnt want to run into a 666.

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:39:51 AM
Author: lumpkin
There is one thing to consider that no one has brought up. If your fiance is at all fastidious about her ring, she will have to clean that EC all the time! I should say, if she's like me. I think I would rather have an EC for a coctail ring, but something I wear every day I do not want to fret over how clean it is. Step cuts, because of how they reflect light, need to be very high clarity and, IMO, clean all the time! I have a setting with baguettes going north/south on each side and it drove me to distraction trying to keep them clean so they would sparkle properly. Now, one (or two) baguette(s) going east/west on each side would not be so troublesome.

I love Harry Winston. On my budget, with my money, I would personally go for a larger stone from an on-line vendor. But, if I had a good budget and a specific size in mind and could afford HW, I definitely would do it. The service you would have after the sale would be amazing (I would hope) and it would be something you could definitely pass down. It WOULD be a wonderful legacy.

I vote for the round. All her friends are getting EC's. The round with the baguettes is a timeless classic and will never be trendy. As much as I love the halos, in a few decades they are going to scream '2005!' That in itself could be really wonderful because then in about five decades it will be vintage and classic, but if you want timeless, go for the round and baguettes.

Another thing to consider is the wedding band. I assume you would have HW make a baguette band that would fit up against the engagement ring??? That's what I would do, personally.

JMO.
If I go with the round, I was thinking baguettes with round mixed in because I saw one that goes every other OR just the baguettes like you said. =)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In any case, it's supposed to be 616 as of May 2005, according to researchers at Oxford. The translation was erroneous.

or it's .262 inches. well, since it's upsetting, of course you should move on to another diamond.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
I''m finding this thread interesting as I can relate to the process. My fiance and I also went to Harry Winston - they dazzle you with the royal treatment. I ended up falling in love with the RB with tapered baguettes.

Their settings are beautiful. I scrutinized the settings offered by HW, Tiffany and Cartier. Harry Winston wins hands down with the designs of their settings. I wanted the same setting posted by WS at the begining of this thread.

We ultimately chose to get the ring through another source when the starting price at HW for the ring I wanted was $255,000!! Even with a 30% negotiation down that is a CHUNK of change.

I''m the oddball in the group here, I have the RB with baguettes and LOVE IT. If I had it to do over, I''d pick the same stone and design. I feel it is such a classic style it will be around forever. I remember being engaged in the 80''s. At that time I had a princess with trillions on either side. Now looking back, I realize that ring was very 80''s. Back to the RB setting. I do enjoy the baguettes, they add to the bling factor. Sometimes I look at my ring and there is light flashing all over. Part of that is a well cut stone and the other is the baguettes. Also, platinum scratches and forms a grayish patina which I''m not crazy about (I like a high shine). With baguettes you never see any metal face up; no platinum with patina.

In terms of personal style, I''m one who lives in distressed jeans, Juicy Couture and Theory. So even though the RB setting is more classic, it can certainly be worn with anything.

So there''s my $.02 to add to the mix. Good Luck!

jorb.jpg.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh Jo! I
30.gif
your ring! Do you have a thread on it? Specs? Finger size?

WhiteSox

Rough_Rock
wow Jo^^ That ring looks great to me.
The diamond must be HUGE =)

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments WhiteSox and Matatora.

The center stone is 2.75 cts, H, SI1, some flourescence, ring size is 5 1/2. Yes, there are threads on the ring in previous posts mostly because I thought the baguettes might have been a touch too wide. I was wearing a plain platinum 2 mm wedding band. Several PS members suggested making up a heavier wedding ring - so I had an eternity with RB's made up last year. They don't sit flush (I don't mind, it's the Harry Winston way).

Back to the baguettes; hind sight is 20/20. I was so concerned about size during the process. The baguettes actually add more mass visually. Funny thing, I probably would have been fine with a 2.25 - 2.5 ct stone

RingSmallB.jpg

susi

Shiny_Rock
WhiteSox....go for the RB with baguettes! It''s classic....and a look you never tire of....I''m thinking of putting my RB in this type of mount.

Jo, love your stunning ring!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Jo, I just love your rings! I love the baguettes and the eternity band . . . NICE!

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
I''m going to add my 2 cents as well and vote for the classic RB with baguettes. I just had my ER re-set into this classic setting. I had ALWAYS had my heart set on this setting. I only wish I had a 2+ carat in the center (like JO''s ring . . . wow) but promised my husband I would upgrade the setting, not the stone. My stone is only 1.14ct but I love it. The baguettes are .18 each.
Speaking of Harry Winston . . . my jeweler (in NYC diamond district but not a store front) told me that she bought the molds from Harry Winston (whatever that means). My ring was suppose to have the split 4 prong (just like the Harry Winston photo). When the setter starting setting the center stone he asked me if I really wanted them split or not. If split, then the center stone would have sat higher which I really did not want. Anyway, with whatever you choose, I''m sure your girlfriend will love it.
ReMount.jpg

ello

Brilliant_Rock
JO - your ring is gorgeous! I think it goes to show that baguettes can be very stylish and a perfect compliment to a ctr. diamond. I think it''s all about the individual...just like shoes or clothes...some outfits look great on some ladies and not so good on others. Beautiful!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Whitesox - I''m sure HW can present you with a different square emerald diamond ring. It''s hard to believe that they only carry one 1.7 square emerald diamond ring. They are usually more than willing to ship rings from one of their other locations if you are really interested. I know this because Cartier has mentioned to me many times that they can ship a particular diamond from their New York store to their Canadian location. Good luck!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
MauiTikii - Your ring is also very beautiful! No need to feel shy about your 1.14ct. I would love to have a diamond at that size. It''s really pretty!

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Hi. This is actually my first post, but I''ve been reading PS and DT for weeks. WhiteSox - I think that whether you go with the RB w/ baguettes or the square EC, your fiancee will be thrilled. I agree with the previous posters...I think that asking HW for additional stones / rings to consider is not unreasonable, and if their customer service is as great as everyone says, then I''m sure they''ll be more than accommodating.

I am personally very interested in your situation because I am starting to begin the process of looking for an upgrade e-ring. I am *in love* with a particular ring on the HW website (3 ct oval w/ half moon sides). I live in Houston, TX but am hoping to convince my husband to make a trip out to NYC to visit HW...maybe next summer for a friend''s wedding. I find it extremely interesting that HW is willing to negotiate prices...otherwise, I am considering having a similar 3-stone ring made by Leon Mege with a center stone purchased at Whiteflash (since I would be able to see their stones in person very easily). My husband has given me a very generous budget, but I saw a similar 3 ct oval w/ half moon sides at the Cartier store in Houston, and its sticker price was $100K (over-budget!!!).

Anyway, my last question has to do with how you would receive your ring (once you finally decide). I believe you mentioned that you work in Europe, so would you have them send the ring to you next day delivery? I''m wondering if I were to buy something at HW and had it shipped to my home in Houston, TX...would I still need to pay sales tax? Or would it be considered a local purchase since I visited the store and was able to look at their various products?

Thanks and good luck!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
HW will ship to Houston and you will not pay sales taxes because it is an out of state transaction. If you bought it and picked it up in NYC then you would pay NY sales taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results