shape
carat
color
clarity

HARRY POTTER 6!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 5:18:32 AM
Author: Rockchick

Date: 7/21/2005 3:41:56 PM
Author: sjz

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 1px">

Were you dissapointed in the identity of the Half-blood Prince? I was, because that was a character that I had always hoped would end up redeeming himself. But in a way, it all fit, didn't it? Hopefully the next book will end up making up for the losses in this one. Two years is going to be a long time to wait!
yes very! thought he would be someone else.. aah well
I was surprised with the identity as well! I actually feel like that character will still redeem himself. I couldnt really get a handle on how I felt about him. My friend had some interesting thoughts. Can I post them? Lol, I'm afraid to just in case someone who hasn't finished read this. She had some really interesting thoughts though.....I still can't believe we have to wait so long for the next one! Thats why I tried not to rush through it. Some of my friends were annoyed wtih all the snogging, and they said it was too much, but I guess that didnt bother me and I didnt think it was overdone liek I had anticipated from their complaints.

Ok, I'm going to post what she said, because it was interesting....if you want to read it, highlight over this, if you don't thats cool and you don't have to! She always thinks of things I wouldnt think of! Highlight in between these parenthesis and you'll see it ((She thinks Harry is really a horcrux and that is why he can feel Voldemort. That never even occurred to me! At first I wondered if a living thing could be a horcrux, but then I remembered the snake...She thinks Snapes brother Remulus is the one who stole the Slytherin locket and that Snape helped him do it. So my initial thoughts were that how can Harry live if he's going to hold part of Voldemorts soul in him, and that maybe Snape isnt bad after all, but doing what he needed to do for the best of all wizards. I really want to know what he told Dumbledore to make him trust him though...Do all of you think that book 7 won't take place at Hogwarts? That'll be so weird!)) I want to hear other peoples theories though
3.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I was kind of glad that that person was the half-blood prince because at least it wasn''t the person that I thought it was going to be. This is so cryptic, we need to start a thread and say don''t read this if you haven''t finished the book! I love the code writing with the highlighting, very clever! So I will do the same: (I can see them killing Harry Potter off because he has sacrificed so much already and has had so many losses, and it seems like the best way to really finish the series... It''s an interesting theory that he could be the Horcrux, but I don''t know because the prophecy said that only one of them could exsist and Harry couldn''t kill Voldemort without killing himself if that were true about Harry being a Horcrux, and Voldemort originally went there to kill Harry which he wouldn''t have done if Harry was a Horcrux. I don''t want it to be true so I am talking myself out of it, but it is definitely a good theory. I don''t know what to think of Snape...he could have easily killed Harry the same night he killed Dumbledore and he didn''t, but it could be because Voldemort wants to do it himself, so I can''t decide if he is evil. I was surprised that Malfoy was after Dumbledore and not Harry, I actually felt bad for Malfoy near the end. ) I can''t stand that I have to wait two more years!!! It''s probably done already and because of all the hype, and agreements between all parties involved they want us to suffer.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Dazedland, hehe i passed your comments along to my friend on her theory, we''ll see how she holds up her theory tomorrow when she''s at work...i''m really not sure what to think! Did you cry when you were reading it? I''ve read books where I''ve totally cried, but for this one I just teared up, I was pretty upset though! ((OK, I lie, I did cry when they were all listening to the phoenix from the hospital, and a little at the funeral, I really get invovled with my books!)) When they went on the trip I sort of had an inkling though. ((At first I totally thought it was going to be Draco or Snape dying protecting Draco after he made that promise. The promise totally threw me off...like why would Snape do that unless he truly is evil? Well I guess he needed to convince them, but I am not understanding what he''s thinking right now!))

I want to read them all over again. I mean, I havent read Chamber of Secrets since it first came out in the US, so whats that 98? 99!? I really wish I didnt have to wait two years between every book as well. There also arent going to be any of the movies released in 2006.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Blue, Dazedland- I dunno how you do that super cool highlighting thing!
But I will say that I agree with Blue''s friend''s theory....remember that those things can only be created when someone is murdered, and it could have been an accident. It could explain why Harry''s was the only time that that spell did not work.
I guessed that you know who was the Half Blood Prince. All my friends said I was smoking dope, who''s laughing now, eh? :)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Blue- I didn''t cry at the end, but I was definitely teary... haha. So sad
3.gif

Here''s another possibility-

(( So Harry and Ginny finally hooked up (I liked that! They are 16 at this point, all of the dating drama sounds about right to me personally). So recall when Ginny was being controlled by Voldemort- so another possibility is that Ginny is a Horcrux. Harry will have to kill Ginny to kill Voldemort. So given Harry''s feelings for Ginny, that would be huge! I think that is more likely than Harry as a Horcrux.

I am not ready yet to give up on Snape either, though. Obviously right now he is looking like he''s on the wrong team, but- perhaps this is something that Dumbledore had planned to some extent. Perhaps to make Harry mad and further his resolve to take care of Voldemort. I think that''s a bit of a stretch? But, I don''t think that the Unbreakable Vow necessarily makes Snape a bad guy. He pledged only to protect Draco, and maybe Draco isn''t quite as bad as he would have us think. He doesn''t seem to have that killer in him.. so perhaps he will join up with the Order of the Phoenix.
))

I am going to read all of the books again too, I think. I''ve read them all a few times, except the last only once.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2005 1:07:36 AM
Author: MrsFrk
Blue, Dazedland- I dunno how you do that super cool highlighting thing!
But I will say that I agree with Blue''s friend''s theory....remember that those things can only be created when someone is murdered, and it could have been an accident. It could explain why Harry''s was the only time that that spell did not work.
I guessed that you know who was the Half Blood Prince. All my friends said I was smoking dope, who''s laughing now, eh? :)
MrsFrk- to do the highlighting thing, you can just change the color of the typing to white!

(( I don''t think that creating a Horcrux could be an accident though (if Harry is one). If it''s dark magic, and very difficult- I don''t see how you could pull off a spell like that if it was not deliberate ))

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
MrsFrk Just change the text you don't want to be totally apparent to the color white. Its just good in case someone reads it on accident, then they can't, its up to them, and we cant feel guilty for ruining any part of the book for anyone! I really did think the relationships developing were pretty realistic, I enjoyed that aspect, but a majority of my friends disliked it. They think the only reason I didn't mind it was because I had been warned.

Icekid (( I'm not sure about Ginny being a horcrux because she is younger than Harry, right? So by the time Voldemort had disappeared and people thought he was dead, then Ginny would've been born? Or is she 15? I guess he was like a year old. Ahk, who knows!!! Ugh, and then another part of me is saying well, maybe she is, because they've already hinted that they need to end it so Voldemort doesnt use her to get to him or as bait ))

I asked my friend Miranda to clarify her theory, haha she said she doesnt have it all worked out yet. Obviously everything we can think of is all hypothetical. Here was her email to me this morning (( "More on HP - I haven't gotten it all quite worked out in my head, but I think you can get rid of a horcrux without destroying the object itself. For instance, Dumbledore said that Slytherin's ring was no longer a horcrux, but the ring was still intact. I imagine Harry will have to figure out how to get rid of the horcrux inside him. I think he may have to get Snape to help him with that. I don't know who else could help with that kind of dark magic. I think Harry may have to learn to trust Snape (if Snape is good that is)

Second - I don't know if Voldemort really wanted to kill Harry. Not really anyone knows about Voldemort's horcruxes - I doubt he told many people about them. People just assume Voldemort wants to kill Harry, but has Voldemort every really said that?"

I totally believe her whole thing on how Harry will have to learn to trust Snape, I think that's going to be definitely involved. And you're right, just because Snape agreed to the Unbreakable didnt mean he was evil, but it sure helped skew the lines between good Snape and bad Snape! I think Voldemorrt does want to kill him, just because of past actions and how Dumbledore said he's made this prophecy come true by the actions he's taken, and its just that Voldemort hasn't been strong enough yet
))

We'll see I guess! I'm really never sure, I"m so bad at coming up with my own theories, I just sit and wait in anticipation listening to everyone else's thoughts!

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
cool love the codewriting..

(( HP being a horcrux was the first thing I thought off! Ginny being one is interesting, never thought of that one! I couldn''t believe Snape killed Dumbledore! I thought he made the promise to kill HP ))

O and blue (( I cried my eyes out! I cried too with HP5 when Sirius" dissapeard". I coudný believe that either. I never ever thought Dumbledore would die. ))

(( I don''t know what to think of Snape, I don''t believe that he turned to the other side, but I''m not so sure. ))

I don''t want to wait for another two years for nr. 7. maybe it will be in two parts, that wouldbe cool

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Haha rockchick, I''m glad I wasn''t the only one! I get all into books and really emotionally attatched to characters sometimes. Especially when its a series and I get to know the characters.

My friend told me she frequents a forum off of http://www.leakylounge.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=16 obviously don''t go there if you don''t want things spoiled if you haven''t finished. I haven''t gotten a chance to check it out, might save it for tomorrow when I have a really boring day at work! Just thought I''d pass it along. She''s like super super into HP stuff, so it might be a little much for me haha, i like my books, and to discuss them afterward, but then I usually don''t give it another thought until around the next one coming out or the movies.

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2005 2:08:29 PM
Author: Blue824
My friend told me she frequents a forum off of http://www.leakylounge.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=16 obviously don't go there if you don't want things spoiled if you haven't finished. I haven't gotten a chance to check it out, might save it for tomorrow when I have a really boring day at work! Just thought I'd pass it along. She's like super super into HP stuff, so it might be a little much for me haha, i like my books, and to discuss them afterward, but then I usually don't give it another thought until around the next one coming out or the movies.
I just went to that site, haha, those people are really into HP. Fun to read though..

here is an interesting theory (( on why HP is the last hocrux "this idea came to my mind right after i finished the bk.
Isn't it a true Horcrux has a "S" sign or sth? Harry's scar actually isn't a lightning. it's a "s".
))

*edit* another interesting theory (( "Just a point about the locket: R.A.B is most probably Regulus Alphard Black, Sirius's younger brother who defected from the Death eaters.
The locket will resurface. In The Order of the Phoenix in chapter 6 while cleaning out the "glass fronted cabinets" a "..heavy locket that none of them could open.." is thrown into a rubbish sack along with other black family collectables. Dear old Kreacher is sneaking around stealing items from the rubbish to save them from being thrown away.
On Christmas day Hermione has a presant for Kreacher and they look into his den (chapter 23), "In the far corner glinted small objects and coins that Harry guessed Kreacher had saved, magpie-like, from Sirius's purge of the house"
Slytherin's locket is in Kreacher's den...thats my prediction"
))

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
My books are all at my parents house for storage, I am going to have to get them because now I really want to read them all again so that I can come up with a good theory. I''m definitley going to check that site out when my guy isn''t around, he may have me committed for forum obsession. Anyway: (( I forgot about the initials on that piece of paper! I bet that is true about Kreacher having it and that is it''s Sirius''s brothers initials... I also was thinking when I read that Dumbledore died that the actor that plays him in the movies also died I wonder if that was honoring him at all, I doubt that JK would sacrifice the books for that, but it was an interesting coincidence. )) I have loads more (Hogwarts speak) to write about but I have to make dinner! Keep the theories coming!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
O.K. - just finished it. Didn't want to read this thread until I did as I didn't want any "clues". When I figure out this code thingy, I'll elaborate on the role of half blood prince in the next book. (test to see if this shows up)

ETA - o.k. it did show up and now I am typing in red. Besides ticking the "A" above what else to you have to do?

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

just finished the book over the weekend,

this is a post on Muggle.net from a friend of a friend....

((Horcruxes – Compiled Information.

Before you instantly close this topic please read this and only this paragraph. This topic is different from the stickied one because it is not strictly a discussion topic (although you can discuss here). This is a topic of compiled information about Horcruxes, hopefully to answer any questions people might have about them, and clear up some of the trickier issues about them, and also clear up some of the more ridiculous theories. This topic also differs from the stickied one, as the information in it will not stay wrong (even if it is). Any mistakes I make will be edited. While both this topic and the stickied topic are about the same thing, the content and intent of each topic is very different, as I hope you will agree.

In this piece of writing I am going to attempt to explain everything that is now known about Horcruxes and some of my own theories about the matter… for one reason to make it all clearer in my mind, to (hopefully) make it clearer in others’ minds and to shed some light on the speculation that has spawned from JKs invention of Horcruxes.

Firstly I am afraid to say that I will be labouring under three rules throughout this, and without them I am sure you can all create as many insane rumours as you want. The first of these three is that you must be within wand firing range of the thing you are trying to turn into a Horcrux and the person you will kill in doing so, the second is that the Horcrux can only be created by the person to who is trying to split their own soul (for example Voldemort can’t tear Harry’s soul in two, or Bellatrix can’t create another Horcrux for Voldemort). The third is no time travel. Yes I’m sure it would be incredibly convenient for Voldemort to be able to get a hold of a time-turner and turn it until he was back at his fifth year at Hogwarts, but to be frank I really can’t see JK doing this, it just seems ridiculous. I do have reasons for both my first and second rule, that (however easy I’m sure it is to figure it out on your own) I will explain later.

Horcruxes

Simply put a Horcrux is an object containing a fragment of someone’s soul, usually to conceal it. The point of a Horcrux is to prevent someone from dying; so if they are killed, while their body would be destroyed, a part of them remains tied to the world and the person is able to exist.

This means you cannot be killed, as the soul in the body cannot be completely destroyed until all Horcruxes are destroyed. I believe this is because the fragment of soul still in the body is what I call the “core soul” while the other souls or Horcruxes are merely “anchor souls”. The anchor souls stop you from dying, but serve no other purpose (we’ll get to my theories on Riddle’s diary later). The anchor souls, while not directly linked to the core soul, are still linked, powerfully so, but not directly. This is why when your body is destroyed your core soul is ripped from your body, but cannot leave the earth because it is still linked (or anchored to Earth) by the core soul(s). It is only after all Horcruxes are destroyed, that you are effectively mortal again.

This is just my theory, phrases like “core soul” and “anchor soul” are never mentioned in the books, but help me to understand Horcruxes better.

Creating a Horcrux

This may seem a little obvious (as it is clearly stated in the chapter “Horcruxes”) but I have seen many confused people on this subject, and so I will reiterate.

Creating a Horcrux boils down to two actions: The first is murder; the second is a spell (in that order). We have absolutely no direct evidence as to what kind of spell it is (I mean no character has stood up and told us “the incantation to create a Horcrux is ‘horcruxus’ “). However I have some theories that I believe are highly feasible and logical.

I think that creating a Horcrux is no normal feat, it seems apparent to me that this is possibly the darkest magic ever known to wizards. I think this for a few reasons. The first is that Horcruxes have never been mentioned before, especially not by characters in JKs books. There is a ban of discussion of Horcruxes at Hogwarts, even after Hermione’s extensive reading she only managed to find one line of it in a book called “Magick Moste Evile”, to which the extract only read “of the Horcrux, wickedest of magical inventions, we shall not speak nor give direction…” I would be prepared to bet that Hermione had read every book in the library now that wasn’t in the restricted section (even though that one was). And in a book called “Magick Moste Evile” to taboo the most evil magic of all is an ominous sign indeed.

Slughorn was only happy to discuss Horcruxes with Tom because he believed Tom to be merely interested in the boundaries of magic, and became scandalised when Tom suggested splitting your soul into seven fragments. I would be surprised if most modern wizards knew even what a Horcrux was. I believe this is because of either two things, that there has been a taboo on speaking it for so long that people simply just forgot, or that people don’t want to speak about it as it is such a horrific act. Either way, it doesn’t look like a simple matter of saying a one-word incantation. If I am right in saying that it is the most dark of all magic (and honestly what could be more horrible than tearing a piece of your own soul, who would honestly really want to do that?) then it wouldn’t be a big step to say that it would also be difficult and dangerous, by all records no wizard has ever created more than one Horcrux, and possibly not because it is a wholly undesirable thing to do.

No. I think that creating a Horcrux must be one of the most dangerous and difficult pieces of magic. I would think it would be also very old, lost to modern wizardry. For these reasons I would think that tearing a part of your soul away from itself would involve possibly hours of incantations, chanting, sacrifice (the murder) and probably a whole lot of pain (how cuddly does ripping your soul apart sound anyway?). An example of this was another very old piece of magic, the one which returned Voldemort to his body, which was a very complex feat, involving flesh of a servant, bones of your father and blood of an enemy.

Voldemort spent ten years presumably trying to discover what was involved in the spell, probably risking a lot to do it, and probably not finding anyone in this country who knew. When I think of it I think of a very old spell, possibly created by the very first wizards, who do not have modern conveniences of wand manufacturers and so on, but people who used primal forces, sacrifice and blood letting to perform magic.

Of course, most of this section is just speculation; all we really know is that you need a murder and a spell…

Voldemort’s Ultimate Aim

To create seven pieces of his soul, six encased in Horcruxes as anchor souls, the seventh dwelling as his core soul in his own body.

From Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort

In this section I will attempt to create a time line of Voldemort’s knowledge of Horcruxes, created mainly by Pensieve scenes and other characters accounts, starting at the orphanage.

Tom aged 10-11: Dumbledore arrives at his orphanage telling Tom that he is a wizard. Tom shows exceptional control over magic at such an early age, also a malicious contempt for others. At the moment he has no knowledge whatsoever of Horcruxes.

Tom aged 11-12: Tom’s first year at Hogwarts. He has changed his attitude since he last met with Dumbledore; he is now polite and charming, a perfect student in many teacher’s eyes.

Tom aged 15-16: Tom is in his coming to the end of his fifth year at Hogwarts, he has recently discovered he is the heir of Slitherin, killed a girl named Myrtle (quite possibly his first murder), discovered the chamber of secrets, kept a diary of events for the past year, as a proof of his discovery, and also recently discovered his father was a Muggle and his mother was a witch, he now hates his name “Tom” even more than before and his secretly begun to fashion himself a new name. He has probably come across the term “Horcrux” now and probably deeply desires to know what it is.

Tom aged 16: During his summer holidays between his fifth and sixth year at Hogwarts Tom goes to look for his mother’s family, the Gaunts. He arrives at his Uncles home to find him rather mad, but undeniably his mother’s brother. He questions Mr. Gaunt and discovers that his father is still alive and where he lives. He travels about a mile to the village of Little Hangleton and murders his father and his two grandparents while they are at dinner. Tom does not yet know of how you create a Horcrux, and so could not have used his Father’s murder to create one. He also steals the Gaunt family ring from his Uncle and frames him for the murders he has just performed.

Tom aged 16-17: The time when Slughorn tells Tom about Horcruxes. This must be in Tom’s sixth year as he wears Gaunt’s ring, but the description mentions members of the Slug Club who are older than him. In my opinion, this moment is one of the moments that would have changed Tom Riddle forever; he had now discovered how to achieve immortality and probably every waking second of his life from then on was probably devoted to discovering the secrets behind creating a Horcrux.

Tom aged 18-21: Tom has just left Hogwarts and asked for a job at Hogwarts, after Dippit declines Tom goes to work a Borgin and Burkes, it is clear to me that his aim in attempting each post was more or less the same: to acquire items he might use as Horcruxes. After seeing the Slitherin’s Locket and Hufflepuff’s Cup he murders Hepzibah Smith (Also, Dumbledore believes that this is Tom’s first murder since he murdered his father) two days later, then vanishes with the cup, the ring, the locket (and presumably the diary) and is not seen again for a very long time.

Tom aged 21-31: This is the ten years in which Dumbledore says that Tom disappeared for. We can only speculate a guess as to what he was doing, but I believe he was trying to find the incantations, potions, chants or whatever involved in the spell. I would imagine it is a lengthy spell, probably needing help or assistance from more than one wizard, possibly the brewing of potions (not just killing someone and saying a few words, as I have mentioned before). Also maybe attempting to gather more items to before future Horcruxes, recruiting wizards to be faithful death eaters, contacts in foreign countries (I can hardly believe he stayed in England to do all this).

After this his ages all become very approximate…

Voldemort aged 31-54: Between these ages Voldemort re-applies for a job at Hogwarts. This means he still needs at least one fouders'' relics. I imagine he has five out of six horcruxes now, and requires the final relic to complete his collection. Between these ages Voldemort is running about killing lots of people in his “Wizard War I” as some have deemed it. I don’t know when it actually started, but it can’t be too many years since Voldemort resurfaced, as when he was approximately 54:

Voldemort aged 54: That fateful day in Godric’s Hollow… Dumbledore believes that Voldemort has yet to get all six anchor souls, and that he wishes to make Harry his final kill to be his final Horcrux out of Nagini. Obviously that did not happen and he became as what many refer to as “Vapourmort”.

Voldemort aged 65: While technically Vapourmort is still Vapourmort, Tom Riddle’s diary has awakened the Chamber of Secrets once again, as it did fifty years ago (in Tom’s fifth year, usefully enabling us to pinpoint his age as 65-66 in Harry’s second year).

Voldemort aged 67: Book the fourth, and Dumbledore speculates that Voldemort may have now succeeded in creating his final Horcrux as Nagini by killing Frank Brice, I however disagree with him.

Voldemort aged 69: Present day Voldemort.

The Six Horcruxes

From various memories that Dumbledore has pieced together he and Harry deduced that Voldemort was trying to create six separate Horcruxes. Four of which we (the reader) almost definitely know. These four are:

Tom Riddle’s Diary
The Gaunt Family Ring
Salazar Slitherin’s Locket
Helga Hufflepuff’s Cup

There is also a fifth piece of Voldemort’s soul encased in himself (the core soul) which is the part of him that wandered around Albania possessing rats and snakes. This makes five known pieces of Voldemort’s soul that we can be almost certain are Horcruxes or are the anchor souls. There are still two objects left, and Dumbledore believes that at the time that Voldemort entered the Potters’ house, he had not yet succeeded in making his final Horcrux. Since then, Dumbledore speculates that Voldemort may have succeeded in creating his final Horcrux, so the list of possible horcruxes is:

Nagini
Something of Godric Griffindor’s
Something of Rowena Ravenclaw’s

Obviously he cannot use all three, as this would make eight pieces of Voldemort’s soul in total, Dumbledore does not think that Voldemort can have found anything of Griffindor’s as he says that the last known relic remains at Hogwarts. He could be, of course, mistaken. Dumbledore does not know about Ravenclaw’s relic, and so I think it possible that Voldemort could have got his hands upon this on his travels and made it into a Horcrux. Regarding the snake Nagini, Dumbledore believes that Voldemort planned to make the snake a Horcrux out of killing Harry, and of course he failed, but then Dumbledore says that he may have made the snake a Horcrux when killing Frank Brice. I find this unlikely as I will explain later, but in Harry’s sixth year at Hogwarts Voldemort was suspiciously absent from the story, as was the snake Nagini. If Voldemort still needed a sixth Horcrux, then this would be the time I think most likely for him to make one out of her.

The Six Possible Horcruxes in Detail

Voldemort’s criteria for creating a horcrux are:

The object must be of some value, either personally to him or of great wealth or (more commonly so) both. The death used in the spell should be of significance, although I do not believe this is as of much importance to Voldemort, as you can use anyone, and if he was desperate he would (for example Dumbledore speculates that Voldemort may have created a Horcrux out of killing Frank Brice, a Muggle). The Horcrux must also be heavily protected (it looks like an army of Inreri was protecting Slitherin’s Locket)

The Diary of Tom Marvolo Riddle

This, I believe is the most curious of the Horcruxes we have seen so far as it does not seem to have the qualities associated with a Horcrux. This object has a mind of its own; it serves a purpose other than to keep Voldemort’s soul safe. All the Horcruxes had enchantments to stop them being destroyed, but this seems to have been given the memory of Voldemort’s fifteen-year-old self, and the will to open the Chamber of Secrets. This, I believe are the enchantments that Voldemort placed upon the diary, the power to live and think for itself, and in the extremes, take corporeal form by stealing someone else’s soul perhaps (or this is what Riddle says).
This object would have been of great personal significance to Voldemort. Not only does it prove that he is the heir of Slitherin, but it also is an item showing Voldemort’s connection to Hogwarts, a very deep personal connection.
As with all Horcruxes, we can only speculate on who Voldemort may have killed in order to create it. I believe that he did not know the spell until he disappeared for ten years, so it cannot have been Myrtle, any of the Riddles, or Ms Smith (or any other people he killed before he disappeared).
We know for certain that this Horcrux has been destroyed by Harry in his second year at Hogwarts.

The Gaunt Family Ring
This ring I assume was passed down through the Gaunt family. After Marvolo and Merope Gaunt died, it was proudly kept by Voldemort’s Uncle, Morfin. When Voldemort was sixteen he travelled to his Grandfather’s house, framed his Uncle for killing his father and grandparents on his fathers side, and stole the Gaunt ring. He wore it in Slughorn’s memory.
This ring would have been of significance to Voldemort because it proves his connection to a very old pure-blood wizarding family, and also to Salazar Slitherin.
The enchantment’s set upon this ring were such that Dumbledore lost his hand trying to destroy the Horcrux contained within it, there were also enchantments concealing the ring in the Gaunt house, as well as upon the ring itself.
Again we have no idea who Voldemort killed, your guess is as good as mine, and it would only be speculation anyway.
This Horcrux was destroyed in Harry’s sixth year by Dumbledore.

Salazar Slitherin’s Locket

This locket is a relic of Salazar Slitherin, meaning it was an item known to be owned by him. It was owned by the Gaunt family until most of them were sent to Azkaban, Voldemort’s mother, Merope then sold the locket to Borgin (of Borgin and Burks) for ten galleons. A woman names Ms Smith then bought the Locket from them for substantially more. After showing the locket to Tom Riddle, she died soon after and the locket was stolen from her.
The locket would have been significant to Voldemort because it is a relic of a founder of Hogwarts, which he was trying to find all four of.
Again, anyone is welcome to hazard a guess as to who Voldemort killed to create this Horcrux.
The enchantments to protect this Horcrux were particularly numerous; it looks like Voldemort stationed an army of enchanted Inferi to guard it, as well as the potion. I would care to bet that if Dumbledore had not taken Harry with him he would have died down there. When they retrieved the locket Harry found it replaced by another locket and a not reading:

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

A highly unusually message, and one that has obviously got everyone interested and discussing who R.A.B. is. There are many things you can conclude from this note, and one is that we cannot be certain that this Horcrux was destroyed, merely stolen by R.A.B. Another thing is that it was probably written by a Death Eater, or at least someone who was once a death eater. People mentioned in Harry Potter with last name beginning with B are (If this list in incomplete please correct me):

Borgin
Berke
Black
Binns
Bones

Most people have landed upon Black as the name, and Sirius’ brother, Regulas, who does fit the initials (if indeed they are initials). I doubt there is much to be said for the other four names. Evidence supporting this is that Regulas had an Uncle whose name was Alphard, which could have been his middle name. A heavy golden locket was found in the Blacks’ house when cleaning it, which they were unable to open it. He was also a death eater, but copped out when things got too rough for him. Possibly he went to destroy the Horcrux in defiance of Voldemort. Evidence that does not support this theory is that Regulus was not a particularly good wizard by many accounts (although they are of course mainly biased opinions by Sirius) and certainly not an extraordinary wizard. I cannot see how, if Dumbledore could not get the Horcrux alone that Regulus could. Some speculate that he took Kreacher with him, which is possible.
Anyway, the two people that I am leaning towards are Regulus or a new character. There is also this, from an interview given by JK on the subject:

MA: R.A.B.
JKR: Ohhh, good.
[All laugh.]
JKR: No, I''m glad! Yes?
MA: Can we figure out who he is, from what we know so far?
[Note: JKR has adopted slightly evil look here]
JKR: Do you have a theory?
MA: We''ve come up with Regulus Black.
JKR: Have you now?
MA: Uh-oh.
[Laughter.]
JKR: Well, I think that would be, um, a fine guess.

Interpret that however you please, but note: she avoided Melissa’s question about figuring it out from what we know so far, and neither confirms the guess as true or destroys the theory, but it does sound rather like she is humouring us here, Emerson, can you confirm this?
I am leaning towards Regulus being a red herring, but I can see how he might be R.A.B. and I am certainly not ruling out this possibility.

Helga Hufflepuff’s Cup

This cup was passed down through the Smith family and was previously owned by a rather eccentric and wealthy old Lady by the name of Hepzibah Smith. Voldemort killed her after discovering that she owned Hufflepuff’s old relic, stealing her cup and disappearing later. As far as I know we (the reader) never hear of the cup again (timeline wise).
While we are almost certain that this is a Horcrux, so far we have no guess as to where it is hidden or to what kind of enchantments are placed upon it, again we can only speculate as to who Voldemort killed to create this Horcrux, and we venture into the realm of “random guesswork” again. There is no evidence to suggest that this Horcrux too has been taken by R.A.B. or someone similar, or that it remains intact. (Please correct me if I am wrong about this).

After these four Horcruxes, we venture into the three possible Horcruxes (only two of which can be Horcruxes).

A Relic Of Godric Griffindor’s and/or a Relic of Rowena Ravenclaw’s

Dumbledore does not believe that Voldemort can have found Griffindor’s relic, as the only known one is the sword that Harry pulled from the Sorting Hat in his second year. This doesn’t mean of course that Voldemort cannot have found another relic, but it seems unlikely. After Voldemort resurfaced, I feel sure that he had found five items to be made into Horcruxes (the ring, the diary and the three relics) and probably made some or all of them into Horcruxes, and was looking for his final relic, which is why he applied for the job at Hogwarts. It is possible that he still only had two of the relics and was looking for the others in Hogwarts.
Between the years after he resurfaced and before he became Vapourmort, Dumbledore believes he was still missing the final relic. I believe he found a relic of Ravenclaw’s at some point, rather than a relic of Griffindor’s. It is perfectly possible that Dumbledore was mistaken, and that he only had Griffindor’s but not Ravenclaw’s or that he indeed had both, or neither. But I think I will go with Dumbledore on this count.

Nagini

Dumbledore believes that the snake Nagini may have been intended as Voldemort’s final Horcrux, after he found himself unable to acquire his final relic. Dumbledore believes that he intended to make Harry the kill for his final Horcrux. This would mean that Voldemort would have been accompanied to Godric’s Hollow I believe, as the immensely complex spell would probably have been akin to the spell that brought Voldemort’s body back. Probably involving more than just a simple (did I just say simple?) death. I would imagine further sacrifices such as blood, bones, possibly teeth etc. This I believe is supported by an extract from Emerson and Melissa’s interview:

MA: Was there anyone else present in Godric’s Hollow the night Harry’s parents were killed?
JKR: No comment.
[All laugh.]
JKR: I’m sorry!

This, to me, speaks volumes, if he wasn’t, and if it were to no consequence if Voldemort were alone, she would simply say “Yes he was alone” and be done with it, but as she answers “No comment” I think it is clear that there is more to this than just Voldemort going to kill Harry.
This is where I believe Dumbledore and I start to disagree, probably because I know very little about Horcruxes and he knows (or knew) a lot about them. We do not yet know the significance of Lily Potter, the big reveal I believe we were promised in the sixth or seventh book. I thought that possibly Voldemort was going to Godric’s Hollow not only to kill Harry but possibly to make Lily Potter the death that would make Nagini the Horcrux. I realise after thinking about it that this is somewhat thwarted by Harry never hearing anything but his mother dying when he was forced to relive her death by the Dementors, and why nothing came out of Voldemort’s want that was Horcrux-like when it was forced to regurgitate an echo of old spells due to Priori Incantatem, but I do not want to rule out this possibility.

Dumbledore next speculates that Nagini was made a Horcrux by killing Frank Brice, but again I disagree. There were only three people present at that killing (not counting Nagini herself) and they were Frank, Wormtail and Voldemort (with his sort of body). I do not believe such a complex spell could be performed by an essentially weak Voldemort and a terribly poor wizard such as Wormtail. Also, I doubt it would be in Voldemort’s best interests to make a Horcrux then, when he was so very weak, there is also no evidence of a Horcrux being made in Priori Incantatem although, Voldemort could have used someone else’s wand on both occasions.
I think it most likely that Voldemort created his Horcrux out of killing Lily. Either that or when he was completely absent for about a year, that would be what he was doing. However, Nagini’s behaviour has been odd for a long time, Dumbledore noticed it. I think that Lily was Voldemort’s kill for Nagini. This would explain the big reveal on her.

So I believe the list stands like this:

Diary – confirmed, destroyed
Ring – confirmed, destroyed
Locket – confirmed, possibly destroyed
Cup – almost certainly confirmed, could be destroyed
Relic of Ravenclaw’s – not confirmed, could be destroyed
Nagini – not conformed, probably isn’t destroyed.

This is how I believe the list stands. The cup and the relic of Ravenclaw’s could be destroyed for all we know, Dumbledore didn’t know about the Locket having gone (or it seems unlikely that he did) and it doesn’t seem unlikely to me that the other Horcruxes may have been discovered and taken too (making the task marginally easier for Harry).

Rumours and Theories Concerning Horcruxes

Harry Is a Horcrux

This is the most common rumour I have seen and I heavily believe this is untrue. Voldemort has only ever come face to face with Harry four times in their lives; the first was in Godric’s Hollow. Voldemort thought was about to kill Harry, it would have been counter-productive to create a Horcrux inside him. He had no clue that he was about to die instead, he was over-confident (evident in GoF). The second, third and fourth times were when Harry was clearly awake and if you say that he did not notice that Voldemort had planted a piece of his soul inside him, well then, how think do you really think Harry is? Unless you count the time when Tom Riddle came out of the diary, there are no other times when Voldemort and Harry have met.
Also, many people say it is part of Voldemort''s soul that gives Harry Voldemort''s powers, but then Harry would have had to have Voldemort''s soul since the incident at Godric''s Hollow, but he cannot because Voldemort was so over-confident that he would never have made Harry a horcrux.

Ginny Is a Horcrux

Again, no. Ginny and Voldemort have never met for one thing. And I doubt that Riddle could have made a Horcrux out of Ginny as firstly he was completely alone in the Chamber of Secrets, also it must have been Riddle’s plan to kill Ginny to gain a body, why would he make her a Horcrux? And the final nail in the coffin (Thank you Emerson and Melissa):

MA: Someone put it to me last night, that if Ginny, with the diary –
JKR: Harry definitely destroyed that piece of soul, you saw it take shape, you saw it destroyed, it’s gone. And Ginny is definitely in no way possessed by Voldemort.
MA: Is she still a parselmouth?
JKR: No.

Dumbledore Had a Horcrux

Out of all the theories this is the one that I am absolutely sure is not true. It was clearly explained that creating a Horcrux is an abomination and that if you create one you will like a half-life or a cursed life, and that to most people it would be a heinous thing to even think of ripping your soul apart. This is one of the differences between Voldemort and Dumbledore, Voldemort would go to any means to cheat death, it is the thing he most fears. Dumbledore on the other hand, does not fear death, but values above all the ability to love, which is surely part of what your soul does (or at least contributes to doing). Think about it, this magic was taboo from a book called “Magick Moste Evile”.

Credits
JK for writing these wonderful books
Emerson, Melissa and JK for the interview.
My friend Emma for reading this through.
My friend Scott for challenging many of my theories, he came up with some of the counter-points to my theories.
My brother for noticing a flaw in my time line, and another point to why Harry is not a horcrux.

If you want to contact me (HAH!) with mistakes then my e-mail address is [email protected] you can also ask me for canon evidence for certain points… I read the book through again and can provide quotes to back up all my “solid evidence” if I must…

Now, let the flaming and criticism commence!))

sorry if thats a bit long.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lord S- that was a really nice synopsis. Thanks for sharing!

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... Lord S.. thanks

Could someone make a synopsis of that synopsis?

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Also

(( what about Snape?? JKR has alway indicated that he is a key figure in the HP series. Maybe, he and DD had an unbreabkable vow or something. Maybe (and this is not my idea) DD, by being killed, has somehow put some sort of magic onto Hogwarts (just like Lilly has done to Harry). What if he wasn''t pleading in the end, but asking, making sure that Snape would kill him? ))
What do you guys think?

confusedtoo

Rough_Rock
i can''t figure out how to do the highlight thing...

i really hope that character redeems himself although with as much as he loathed hp''s parents and their friends, it''s hard to see. but maybe that really is the true triumph of good over evil - when you can see past your personal feelings to subscribe to an ideal.

the sadness of the ending (ie - the bad thing that happens) can''t be for naught!

it''s hard to be cryptic- hope i haven''t spoiled anything.

love that there is an hp thread on a diamond forum. brilliant in an altogether different way!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Let me give this one more try. ((test test))

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oh for pete's sake - my last attempt ((regarding the locket - Kreacher may have had it - but remember the big stink they made about Mundugus stealing the Black artifacts. Maybe someone owns it who doesn't know what it is - or does know? No doubt in my mind Snape is a good guy. For some reason DD wanted Snape to kill him. Snape did not plead with Draco to kill DD like the other death eaters did . I think he saved Draco - and I think Draco will end up in the order. Also, of intersting not - Draco was saved because of his mother's love. Also, he fought off Harry's hexes and spells and never directed a bad one towards him.. Snape ordered the death eaters to keep Harry alive.

LS - very detail dissertation on Horcrux's - an interesting read!!! But, my thought is more that one of the horocrux's could be Harry - or something more metaphysical and less tangile. Just a stream of con. thought - Could DD have been a Horocrux? One snape destroyed? I think it is key that Tom Riddle came to visit DD - his purpose certainly not his stated purpose. Also, I think DD wanted Harry to witness what he witnessed & DD knew HP would not have obeyed his orders & HP would try to save DD
)) I hope my spelling wasn't too bad. Is there a way of actually seeing what you are writing in white?

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Lord Summerile, I think thats like the longest post I''ve ever seen on Pricescope
3.gif
I''ll have to set aside some time to read that all! I was laughing as I was scrolling through all that white space though.

Sorry the hiding of the text is so confusing! OK, here is what you do, well, or what I do....

I type what I want to write in the normal font color, so then I can see it, and then change the color afterwards. If you see the A with the red line under it I click on the arrow next to it. A little color palette will pop up and I choose white. The line under the A should then change from red to white. Then, I highlight the text with spoilers or things that could ruin it for people who havent finished reading yet, and then click the A with the white line under it. THe font shoud then change automatically to white.

((I hand''t thought of magic being placed on Hogwards through Dumbledore''s death...what kind of protection would be needed if the school might not even reopen next year though. I totally forgot about Mudugus stealing things from the Black household....so that little locket, if that''s where it is, could totally be in the wrong hands...Who was Dumbledore around when Tom R. killed?? I''m not sure if he''d be a horcrux. I love having these interesting things to think about though))

When I get back from the gym I''ll have to read through your whole thing LS.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
(( What was Tom Riddle''s REAL purpose of visiting DD under the guise of wanting a teaching position? Also, I need to go back and re-read the chapter where DD makes sure he understands LV - I remember some of them - his inability to love & his "magpie" like taking of souvenier objects - I wonder why the later would prove valuable?

I''m kinda wondering if we don''t have 8 books at the end. 7th being the journey to find the horcruxes, back to his parents birthplace, etc. The 8th one being the re-opening of Hogwarts and their last year.
)))

Thanks blue - your instructions worked and made perfect sense. How do you guys figure out this stuff?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow this is much more fun than talking about diamonds! I did not know I would find other Potter Fans here! I began reading the series on a long train ride through Norway a couple years back and was hooked instantly. I really enjoyed reading all your ideals about the book. After careful observation ( at this moment I do believe that Harry is a Horcrux. After all he is so very protected. I don''t think LV was ever going to kill him. He pretended to want him dead so other wizards would protect him. Also remember what the prophicey said regarding Harry and LV.

Also, where did we get the info that Horchruxs have an S on them? If true then yep that lightning bolt is indeed an S.

Regarding Snape, I hope he is not evil too, but soon we will see.)
)

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 19px">

(( I thought about Mundungs stealing stuff, I think so too. Remember in the book, when HP discovers that Mundungs takes stuff out of the Black house, he tries to sell it to someone that quickly walkes away... hmmmm, maybe that was a deatheater.

That Snape theory is ineteresting. He indeed did nothing to Harry, or all the other people he could have killed
))

I love all this speculating. I waited SO long for book nr. 6. I think book nr. 7 will be in two parts.. can't wait!!!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''m a moron and I can''t figure out how to post in code! But I just finished re-reading TOOTP and I think I have some ideas. I''m pretty sure I know who RAB is, I am pretty sure I have figured out at least two of the horcruxes, and I think I have know why the half-blood prince did what he did. If any one cares to know my hypothesis, you can PM me. You will be surprised I think at what I''ve figured out. There are TONS of clues in TOOTP!!!!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
okay! i was avoiding this thread like the plague until i got done with the book..which i did last nite...and clever ''coding'' i mite say!

but moving on...

((i could NOT believe when Dumbledore actually died! i kept saying ''no no..hes going to show up..hes going to rise from the dead...it can''t just be so easy....no no!! and that snape! i sooooooo wanted to believe he was a good guy coz Dumbledore believed in him...and now im so confused!!! and now i have to wait sooo long for the 7th book!!! but she is smart (the writer) she left everything up in the air in the end..so now we *MUST* buy book 7 to figure it out..but i do give her a standing ovation for her imagination and amazing writing skills!

its interesting to read everyones opinions! i feel im not alone!!
))

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
MSB - Me too (( I kept thinking that Snape didn''t really kill him, and just made him like disappear to somewhere else, and that he was probably hurt from the force, and Snape wanted to make it appear like he was dead, but he really wasn''t. But alas, that didn''t happen!! )) It was funny because I was reading the book at work and a couple people there were reading it too, and one girl looked to see where I was and she was like omg, i can''t look at you, or else my face is going to tell it all. So I quickly finished the next chapter, when *it* happened, and I had to stop reading because it was time to go home and unfortunately I had even drivin in so I couldn''t even read on a public trans commute. But ooh, I was just so upset! What a horrible place to have to pause though!

SJZ - I PMd you, curious to know your theory. But your right, JKR does an excellent job writing her novels. I wonder if she''ll try writing anything else after HP and if it''ll get as much attention. The raves this last one has gotten has FINALLY convinced my bf to give it a try. I got him the first HP four Xmases ago, but he thought it was too childish to read. I disagree, its great for kids who just read it on the surface, but obviously there are so many people that love the characters and the intricacies of the stories.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Blue, I PM''d you back! Sorry it was so long!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
here goes another theory.....(I''m beginning to think that Snape turned good when he witnessed Voldemort kill Lilly. I think he was in love with her - again, the power of love. I believe the reason DD trusts him is because it was Snape that alerted DD to LV deeds & Harry. I think DD had Snape make an unbreakable vow regarding savings Harry''s life. Harry''s green eyes always seems to be pointed out.

And, the obvious choice for R.A.B. would be Regulus Black. We do have a locket sighting at the Black house (12 Grimwald).
)))

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
This book, altho sadder, was much, much better than Order of the Phoenix. I''m really excited about Book 7.

I''m glad it was good. This was the first time I waited in line at midnite for teh book. For book 5, I drove over, saw the line, and said "Forget it!" Went back the next day with minimal waiting time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results