shape
carat
color
clarity

Harro Gem Review 2019 & Recommendations

kholt6

Rough_Rock
I got engaged last year and am now the proud owner of the most beautiful 2.60 carat oval diamond engagement ring; as I travel a lot for work I knew I wanted a replica of my ring made up to travel with. My local jeweler recommended I look in to moissanites as a possibility and after reading some good reviews on here I decided the Harro Gem was the one for me. The crushed ice oval was said to be the whitest in colour (no rainbow flashes) and the appearance of the stone to be the most diamond like, so I go ahead and buy the 11x7.5mm Oval in crushed ice directly from the Harro Gem website ($ 1,595.00)

Honestly when I received the stone I was completely in shock and I'm still absolutely flabbergasted as to how this company has so many good reviews! The stone was milky, glassy, no crushed ice appearance at all, I can honestly say I have better looking cz's than the Harro gem. I am beyond disappointed especially as the price is on the high side for a moissanite. I will take some pictures and a video to share.

Has anyone had this experience with the Harro gem? Does anyone have any alternatives that offer the most diamond like appearance with no rainbow flashes?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for postong your review. I first was set on an oval harro gem. But after watching countless videos I noticed that it just didn't look like a nice stone. It's great to speak up about your experience! The Harro Gem Customer Service also was a nightmare I asked them some questions and they only answered very vaguely after 2 weeks.

For Moissanites I think August Vintage is the best way to go :) I'm receiving my first moissanite from them in a week!

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
From all the reviews and threads I’ve read crushed ice cuts end up looking very milky in person and underwhelming.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't loved the harro gems Ive seen in video/pics. Agreed that AV moissanite seems incredible (I'm receiving one soon).

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think Moissanite lends itself well to any type of crushed ice due to the double refraction. Even after all the advances the market has made, it just isn’t there. And I don’t think it will ever be because you can’t change the material. It will always be “fuzzy” simply because of its properties. Same with the rainbows. Moissanite has rainbow flashes and diamonds don’t. Well, not as much anyway. I’d recommend an antique cut or round H&A if you want something to pass for a diamond.

I also strongly recommend August Vintage as PPs have said. He doesn’t even offer crushed ice, and I think there’s a reason for that. He’s not going to stand behind a product unless it’s perfect, and with Moissanite you just can’t achieve the crushed ice look well IMO.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think Moissanite lends itself well to any type of crushed ice due to the double refraction. Even after all the advances the market has made, it just isn’t there. And I don’t think it will ever be because you can’t change the material. It will always be “fuzzy” simply because of its properties. Same with the rainbows. Moissanite has rainbow flashes and diamonds don’t. Well, not as much anyway. I’d recommend an antique cut or round H&A if you want something to pass for a diamond.

I also strongly recommend August Vintage as PPs have said. He doesn’t even offer crushed ice, and I think there’s a reason for that. He’s not going to stand behind a product unless it’s perfect, and with Moissanite you just can’t achieve the crushed ice look well IMO.
agreed. The most "convincing" moissy I've seen are antique cuts and h&a. Definitely not the crushed ice ones. They look too mushy somehow and don't have the sharp facets you'd see in a crushed ice diamond

kholt6

Rough_Rock
I've attached a video for reference of the Harro Gem oval "crushed ice". Thank you for all the recommendations, I've taken a look over AV moissanites but can't see any ovals, my hunt continues. I will update when I find the one!

Attachments

• IMG_8018.jpg
    IMG_8018.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 263

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I've attached a video for reference of the Harro Gem oval "crushed ice". Thank you for all the recommendations, I've taken a look over AV moissanites but can't see any ovals, my hunt continues. I will update when I find the one!

In the starsgem thread someone bought a crushed ice oval that they were happy with so maybe look there? I do ageee that stone looks so milky and underwhelming :( I hope you find what you’re looking for

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I really think you won't be happy with any oval on the market. Especially if you want it to look Diamond Like. August Vintage will have Oval Moissanites (when isn't clear but I suspect in the next months) which probably will be very nicely cut. Otherwise there are some antique cut ovals from LAD (Loveaffairdiamonds) which also look nice. But they are custom cut so you can't exchange them. Charles and Colvard have Ovals but they don't look like a diamond at all. They have a very sparkly splintery apperance (lots of youtube videos on them).
I will be waiting for the August Vintage Oval Moissanites to release hopefully soon =)2

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I really think you won't be happy with any oval on the market. Especially if you want it to look Diamond Like. August Vintage will have Oval Moissanites (when isn't clear but I suspect in the next months) which probably will be very nicely cut. Otherwise there are some antique cut ovals from LAD (Loveaffairdiamonds) which also look nice. But they are custom cut so you can't exchange them. Charles and Colvard have Ovals but they don't look like a diamond at all. They have a very sparkly splintery apperance (lots of youtube videos on them).
I will be waiting for the August Vintage Oval Moissanites to release hopefully soon =)2
I saw a C&C F1 oval 8x5 ie 1.5ct at the weekend and I'm sold! I'm surprised you say they don't look diamond like. I spent the whole day looking at diamonds and I had my round engagement ring on too.
I'm trying to choose btw the C&C F1 oval which I've seen in real life and waiting to hear back from AV about when they'll have ovals but what's the difference?

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Dear all please share your oval moissanites.
... For Moissanites I think August Vintage is the best way to go :) I'm receiving my first moissanite from them in a week!

I haven't loved the harro gems Ive seen in video/pics. Agreed that AV moissanite seems incredible (I'm receiving one soon).

...... I will be waiting for the August Vintage Oval Moissanites to release hopefully soon =)2
..... I've taken a look over AV moissanites but can't see any ovals, my hunt continues. I will update when I find the one!

Thank you.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
@Strawberries1 I personally find the splintery look of the F1 Ovals very obvious to not be an oval cut diamond. They do have a very similiar cut to round diamonds. But the run of the mill oval cut diamond have more of a crushed ice look. But at the end of the day that is my opinion. The F1 Ovals still are beautiful IMO. Most people won't notice the difference. At at the end of the day you have to love it =)2

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
@Strawberries1 I personally find the splintery look of the F1 Ovals very obvious to not be an oval cut diamond. They do have a very similiar cut to round diamonds. But the run of the mill oval cut diamond have more of a crushed ice look. But at the end of the day that is my opinion. The F1 Ovals still are beautiful IMO. Most people won't notice the difference. At at the end of the day you have to love it =)2
Thanks. I spent the whole day looking at oval diamonds after seeing a C&C F1 oval that same day and didn't notice the crushed ice look. Perhaps it's the way UK diamonds are cut or I simply didn't look hard enough. Nevertheless I think I'm going with AV for my oval. I just need to find someone to help make the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results