carat
color
clarity

Hand creams

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ame|1359059253|3363009 said:
Wait you EAT a spoonful of that?! Weird. What does it taste like....coconut? or what?

I am going to go out and search for some of this stuff tonight. I am now on a mission. Gloves. Working Hands. Coconut Oil. Lotions.

Heck yes! I love coconut oil. Eat it, cook with it, skin care, hair care, chapstick... It also is an INCREDIBLE makeup remover. I don't wear makeup often, but when I do, coconut oil takes it off. I buy a $30 tub of it once every 4-5 months or so and it's worth it to me since I use it all the time.

EDIT: yes, it tastes like coconut, but the taste is not very strong. I use it as cooking oil and my food doesn't taste coconutty. It smells great though. You should be able to find it in your grocery store, sometimes in the natural food aisle, sometimes somewhere completely random. I'd just ask because it's always there but I can never find it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ame, I hate lotions and creams, too. I know what you mean about wanting to wash your hands immediately after putting it on. I ended up trying Cetaphil lotion a few years ago and it's really, really good. It doesn't feel greasy and it rubs in quickly. I'd try that and see what you think. You can find Cetaphil pretty much everywhere.

http://www.cetaphil.com/products/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1359064126|3363050 said:
I too dislike the feeling of lotion but as I've gotten older, the need increases especially in the winter. The Norwegian formula is good and lately I've been using Lubriderm Intense Skin repair lotion. I can remember a time when I hated lipstick too but the more you wear something, the more you get used to it.

The trick that helps me most is this: put a generous amount of the lotion on and rub it good into your skin and cuticles. I then take a papertowel and wipe off the excess. I try to allow a few minutes for my hands to 'dry' before putting on my rings. I cannot stand the feeling of lotion and slipping rings on my fingers. I don't feel like they get as greased up this way and my hands feel soft. After a good hand washing, it's necessary to repeat this but it does help save my hands from cracking (which hurts like the devil I might add!). At night before I go to bed sans rings of course, I lather then up good again. It's not foolproof but has gone a long way in helping dry, winter hands!
I don't do lip stuff, mostly bec I am allergic to almost every lip product out there. Almost everything out there contains castor or lanolin in some variant and I am allergic to both. I can usually tolerate them on my hands, but not anywhere near my face or I look like I have the herp.

I am going to try the array of things I picked up tonight. That working hands, Neutrogena, Eucerin and like four other things. I couldn't find any gloves but I can use socks in the meantime.

cygnet|1359065006|3363061 said:
Wait you EAT a spoonful of that?! Weird. What does it taste like....coconut? or what?

I am going to go out and search for some of this stuff tonight. I am now on a mission. Gloves. Working Hands. Coconut Oil. Lotions.

Heck yes! I love coconut oil. Eat it, cook with it, skin care, hair care, chapstick... It also is an INCREDIBLE makeup remover. I don't wear makeup often, but when I do, coconut oil takes it off. I buy a $30 tub of it once every 4-5 months or so and it's worth it to me since I use it all the time.

EDIT: yes, it tastes like coconut, but the taste is not very strong. I use it as cooking oil and my food doesn't taste coconutty. It smells great though. You should be able to find it in your grocery store, sometimes in the natural food aisle, sometimes somewhere completely random. I'd just ask because it's always there but I can never find it.
That is just...fascinating. I might have to try that. I don't cook much with oils actually. Though admittedly lately my amount of cooking has waned, work schedules and eating schedules with DH have been ridiculousness so it's just been so much easier to grab stuff on my own.

Zoe|1359066674|3363089 said:
Ame, I hate lotions and creams, too. I know what you mean about wanting to wash your hands immediately after putting it on. I ended up trying Cetaphil lotion a few years ago and it's really, really good. It doesn't feel greasy and it rubs in quickly. I'd try that and see what you think. You can find Cetaphil pretty much everywhere.

http://www.cetaphil.com/products/
I think I have some of that...Ill look around here. I HAVE plenty of stuff. I just never USE it. Hell I have a tube of La Mer hand cream, where I got that I have no idea. I just never use it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Derm recommends Vaseline Intensive Care, Cetaphil and Impruv. I use the first and third product. I've used Eucerine and so has my son, it was fine but a lot costlier than VIC for the same result.

BTW there is a body of research and information on coconut oil--for internal and external use. My sister uses it in her hair!

cheers--Sharon

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Yes to coconut oil!!! It's wonderful stuff--useful in so many ways! I discovered it as a beauty product when I lived in Hawaii. My hair is fine so it's too heavy as conditioner, but it works great as a hair mask--saturate the ends, wrap with a hot towel, then wash it out. On dry/course hair some women use it sparingly as a leave-in...skin, lips, cuticles... It's good for everything! The Monoi oils are nice. http://www.monoi.com/oil.html I have tried the tiare and vanille scents and they smell delishizz. When I was in HI the Monoi oil was always liquid, but when I moved back to CA it turned to a solid in the bottle. Definitely nicer to use it as a liquid, but then again everything feels nicer in HI ;P

Coconut oil is also great to cook with--it's got a higher smoking temp so it wont scorch easily when sautéed and it's great in smoothies to add some creaminess and healthy fat (I love avocado in smoothies too). If there is a Trader Joes near you, they began carrying it recently.

Sorry for the thread jack/infomercial for coconut oil ;P Hope you find some relief soon!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1359065006|3363061 said:

Yep, you can eat it or cook with it or bake with it or just eat it out of the jar. Instead of using butter on toast, you can use coconut oil! Or, say you're baking cookies, you can add coconut oil instead. Or even if you're making a smoothie, you can add a bit. The important part is make sure you buy unrefined extra virgin, preferably organic. That is the healthy stuff. It can be pricey, so check amazon, especially if you have a prime account/no shipping. I found my organic protein powder, which is $29 at Fred Meyer, for $10 on Amazon.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream? You can use it anywhere - hands, face, lips, skin. It absorbs really quickly & is super intensive. I have small tubes tucked away everywhere - handbag, nappy change bag, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom - I don't think I could live without it. My hands are always in & out of water & in the winter they get horribly chapped, flaky & rough. This cream keeps on top of them :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in Ontario and in the winter --- BRUTALLY dry cracked skin, so I'm always applying something. Hand lotions are like lipsticks for me - I have one in every purse and pocket of every jacket I own!

My current favourites are anything by Aveeno - there is a 24 hour care one that is beside my bed and I slather up hands and feet each night. The other favourite I have in a few pockets, is by The Body Shop - its called Hemp Hand Protector for very dry skin. It has a nice light scent, comes in a metal tube, you squeeze out a minimal dollop and it covers well with minimal greasy sensation, and even that, passes quickly enough as you massage it in. I find this one very effective. I also have the nail and cuticle formula and it is just as comfortable on my skin.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Bath & Body Works - True Blue Spa, Super-Softening Hand Lotion - Look Ma, New Hands
My sister bought it for me. It had a citrus-y smell. Might not work if you can't tolerate perfumes or it has one of the ingredients that you're allergic to. Some reviews said it is greasy at first, but I didn't find it greasy at all.

Other:
Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion (brand name only)
plain old Vaseline or a knock-off applied to hands at night and put on cheap cotton work gloves
soak fingertips and /.or hands in olive oil, any type/brand that's cheap (it mostly keeps my nails from splitting but did wonders for hands, too

This Hoofmaker stuff has a wax in it and tends to be good for preventing chipped nails but also mositurizes. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mane-%27n-tail-hoofmaker-hand-%26-nail-therapy/ID=prod10975-product?ext=gooBeauty_PLA_Moisturizers_prod10975_pla&adtype={adtype}&kpid=prod10975&sst=3415e1eb-fbc7-e369-d336-00003dd2776e

I use various sunscreen lotions year 'round, because they moisturize and don't make my face break out. I just pick ones that are not too perfumed or too heavy.

I'd switch to a much creamier and gentler liquid soap.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xiriah|1359058478|3362998 said:

I second L'Occitane! It lasts and lasts and does not feel greasy - ughhh! just thinking about the greasy feeling on my hands gives me the heebie jeebies! But I pay the price. If I don't think about it, my hands will be chapped and cracked before I step in to save them - and I live in relatively warm (except for lately) California!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ame, I saw this and thought of you. It's a bar of solid 'lotion' for people who do needle and yarn craft - it's supposed to be dry enough not to leave a residue on anything, and non-greasy. I should say, I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a go?

http://www.lavishea.com/

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1359281427|3364722 said:
Ame, I saw this and thought of you. It's a bar of solid 'lotion' for people who do needle and yarn craft - it's supposed to be dry enough not to leave a residue on anything, and non-greasy. I should say, I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a go?

Gotta roll your eyes at the trumpeting of how it's "Gluten FREE!" though. LIke we are going to be eating it??? This gluten free thing has really gotten out of hand, IMO.

I use Eight hand cream. I apply it only to the backs of my hands because I can't stand greasy fingertips on my computer. Icky. It dries down after about 2-3 minutes and leaves your skin non-greasy and moist. The tangerine has a very light scent that disappears very quickly too. Great stuff.

http://www.eightskincare.com/collections/tangerine/products/hand-creme-tangerine

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's A Midsummer Night's Hand Cream. Everyone who uses mine becomes obsessed, too.

Very rich, not greasy, clean smell. Perfect!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What works for me:

a) wearing gloves when i wash dishes - I"m guilty of failing this step :naughty:
b) I use Dishmate grapefruit dishwashing liquid - it has coconut oil in it and I find it less stripping than standard dish soap
c) I moisturize my hands with Eucerin smoothing essentials before bed
d) sleep with a humidifier in the winter
e) put lotion on my hands in the morning and make sure i have gloves on before i head to my car for my morning drive to work. The gloves prevent exposure to the chapping cold and let me hold in some moisture for a bit.
f) some people recommend waterless soap - the antibacterial stuff because the water itself if its hard or has chlorine added can be drying, too.
g) at work, i don't like the heavy greasy feeling because I'm constantly typing or have my hand on the mouse. I like the Nivea SOFT hand cream, which absorbs rather quickly.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a lotion freak! But for my hands I love Nivea and also keep the little $1 tins handy. I think it's less greasy and absorbs quickly and leaves my hands smooth...and soft. I put extra around my nails and finger tips. That's my problem area.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bar one looks interesting.

I have been playing with the OKeefes stuff for a few days at night, and some Eucerin too, and finally got a pair of those gloves yesterday at Ulta, everyone had been sold out that I went to prior to there. I also have a tube of the neutrogena stuff at my desk at work as well as the Vaseline, a tube of the L'Occitane. I do know that the gloves hopefully will prevent me from getting more of the zits I appear to be getting from my hands touching my face at night with all that stuff on it!

My hands are getting better though finally, so thanks everyone!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1359382212|3365405 said:

oh that is great!!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
"http://www.lavishea.com

Gotta roll your eyes at the trumpeting of how it's "Gluten FREE!" though. LIke we are going to be eating it??? This gluten free thing has really gotten out of hand, IMO."

As someone who has spent way too much time on the phone with companies trying to determine if something is actually gluten free, I have to respond to this. People with celiac disease, or even gluten sensitivity, cannot use products like hand creams and lipsticks with even trace amounts of gluten. Gluten reacts on a microscopic level and while not eaten, can be ingested simply by using the hand cream and later eating an apple. Celiac disease is very serious, and the only treatment is a strict gluten free diet that avoids cross-contamination. I think it is understood much easier if one substitutes peanuts for gluten.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1359383825|3365419 said:

oh that is great!!
I got some gel polish on last weekend (she did a crappy job but whatever) in hopes that it would keep my nails kinda protected a bit. It did seem to help, and when I took them off last night (the grow out was ridiculous already) with the little wrappy things, thankfully when I showered and put more lotion on them the hands were still nicely soft around my fingertips.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been playing with the OKeefes stuff for a few days at night, and some Eucerin too, and finally got a pair of those gloves yesterday at Ulta, everyone had been sold out that I went to prior to there. I also have a tube of the neutrogena stuff at my desk at work as well as the Vaseline, a tube of the L'Occitane. I do know that the gloves hopefully will prevent me from getting more of the zits I appear to be getting from my hands touching my face at night with all that stuff on it!

Ame - did you get the gloves I posted a link too or a different kind? Just curious if those were the ones that worked for you. I'll be ordering new ones at some point soon since my son has been using the same pair for so long.

Glad your hands are healing and feeling better!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1359401351|3365652 said:

Ame - did you get the gloves I posted a link too or a different kind? Just curious if those were the ones that worked for you. I'll be ordering new ones at some point soon since my son has been using the same pair for so long.

Glad your hands are healing and feeling better!
I bought the "earth theraputics" brand I think? It was the brand Ulta had and it seriously was the first pair I found ANYWHERE. I looked in 3 Targets, a Sallys, a Walgreens, a CVS, a Kmart, and two Ultas before I found these at the 2nd Ulta. Everyone had a spot for them and nothing on the peg.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer W|1359281427|3364722 said:

Went out and bought Lavishea today. Love it. Thanks for the tip.

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
I also HATE the feeling of greasy hands! My two go-to locations I always keep at my desk are:

L'occitane - I am partial to their peony scent but they are all really quite wonderful
Nivea Soft - mmm this scent smells so clean AND it's a great price!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results