shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo help: Are 2mm diamonds going to be too small?

K9

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have elected to have a custom ring made for my oval tourmaline https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-input-feedback-please.158877/

I'm going to have a cushion halo (somewhat similar to below) crafted with 2mm diamonds (3pts each). It will not have the trillions at the shank.
k9r1.jpg

Are 2mm diamonds going to be too small? I want the halo to have some punch and I'm now second guessing the 2mm stones - should I go 3mm (10pts) or 2.5mm (5pts)??

I really dig the look of LostSapphire'shttps://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/ halo, but I'm thinking a compromise at 2.5mm might be the right choice.

Anyone care to weigh in????

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends; a halo with 2 mm stones is going to achieve a different effect compared to a halo with 3 mm stones. Neither are right or wrong but gives a different feel. I think my Mahenge spinel ring has 2 mm melees.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget that the effect of 2 mm and 3 mm melees will also be different when used on different sized center stones. As weird as it sounds, have you considered drawing this out on paper to scale specific to your stone?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, GREAT idea, not strange at all, and K9, I think it would be sooo helpful when used with what you're seeing on your monitor.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!

I did draw it out - I'm inclined to go with the larger stones, but it's also hard to compensate for how stones change look once set. Maybe I'll just leave it with the 2mm stones and relax.... not easy for me to do!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arc - it's funny, I use that chart ALL the time!

I am just going to ask the jeweler for a visual representation. I think I want those 5 pointers!

Still happy to see pics if anyone has an example in their own collection. ;))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your central stone is 10 x 8mm is that right? If so, then 2mm will be very small by comparison and, if you're trying to achieve the look in the photograph you've posted above, then I don't think 2mm will do it. The diamonds, compared to the Tanzanite(?) in that photo are quite large. I'm also not sure but it looks like the 4 corner diamonds are slightly larger than the rest of the halo. That could be an optical illusion and might be that they are just set further out to allow for the prongs.

If you like Lost Sapphires ring proportions then you need to bear in mind that her central stone is 7.6mm (so much smaller than yours in terms of visually on the hand) and she used 3mm diamonds (the rounds not the pears). So for you to achieve a similar look, you'll probably need at least 3mm or more.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1303933874|2906421 said:
Your central stone is 10 x 8mm is that right? If so, then 2mm will be very small by comparison and, if you're trying to achieve the look in the photograph you've posted above, then I don't think 2mm will do it. The diamonds, compared to the Tanzanite(?) in that photo are quite large. I'm also not sure but it looks like the 4 corner diamonds are slightly larger than the rest of the halo. That could be an optical illusion and might be that they are just set further out to allow for the prongs.

If you like Lost Sapphires ring proportions then you need to bear in mind that her central stone is 7.6mm (so much smaller than yours in terms of visually on the hand) and she used 3mm diamonds (the rounds not the pears). So for you to achieve a similar look, you'll probably need at least 3mm or more.

What she said! :bigsmile: I'd suggest going with atleast 3.4mm diamonds.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By very scientific means, I established that the diamonds are around 23.9% of the stone width (ok, I held up a mm ruler to the screen ;)) ). So, for your 10 x 8mm stone, you would need 24% of 8mm, which would be 2mm diamonds for a similar effect.

Another comparison - there are 6 diamonds going down the length of the stone in the picture, 4 along the stone and one each on the top and bottom sides). So, for 10mm length, you would need 2.5mm diamonds.

The final parameter, I think, would be finger coverage. How wide do you want your ring to be, to have a good presence on your finger? I think this will be the most important visual factor, actually.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Lady_Disdain! Your scientific means were very helpful indeed!

My jeweler is going to put my stone with various side stones and and provide me with some visuals. He feels 2.2 would really be the largest he'd be comfortable with - which, might be a great compromise. I feel better that I'll be able to see it.

My left hand is a size 8.5, so finger coverage is for sure desired! The trouble is that I don't want the diamonds to overpower the tourmaline either.

I appreciate everyone's input! I HATE custom projects... I get so nervous about them and overthink everything!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think 2.2mm is a great solution. I can't wait to see photos of the finished ring!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again Lady_Disdain.

I spent some time looking at halos and found this one from DBL - it has 2.5mm diamonds and the center stone is just a smidge smaller than mine.

:sun:

I'm diggin' it!

dblhalo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results