shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting input/feedback please

K9

Brilliant_Rock
So, I'm thinking about settings for my blue-green tourmaline. (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tourmaline.158506/)

k9tourm2.jpg

The stone size is 8 x 10 and I have been looking at various settings for ideas - I tend to like the oval set in a rectangular head since I lean a lot toward deco lines.

I really liked the general look of this setting

Then I noticed that it was set in a rectangular opening.

If I were to shop for an emerald shape setting, I wouldn't be able to use an 8x10 shape, right? I mean, there would presumably be too much gap. So, what size would I want?

OR, do you think this stone would be better served in a simpler setting? My style tends to lean toward simple elegance.... but this stone feels to me like it needs the "glam" - something special that is unmatched by anything I own. Thoughts?

k9r1.jpg

k9r2.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think the experts will respond with their views. Just want to drop by to say what a gorgeous colour! Congrats!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say get a setting that fits your stone. Is there a way that the setting head can be changed to accommodate the actual shape of your stone?

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an 8x10mm rectangular setting might show a gap. You may want one a bit more narrow. However, like you, I love rounded stones in square or rectangular halos, as I'm a lover of the Deco period in jewelry. Go with what you love, but make sure you can get it to fit.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of thoughts:-

1. Is that a stock setting i.e. can you buy it in a 10x8? I suspect it may not be. I think this has probably been made for another stone and then it's been switched at some point.
2. You're best looking for a setting that at least 1mm narrower so a 9x7. However, what you then may find is that the central stone will sit over the side diamonds.
3. If you get a 7 x 9 you may find that the prongs then aren't long enough and will be positioned in the wrong place so need to be bent out and in again or even elongated.
4. Also bear in mind that the depth of the stone and the depth of the basket will play a part in how the gem sits in the setting. Too small a setting and the central stone may sit sky high in the setting. Too big a setting and the gemstone may fall through the centre OR may sit very low indeed.
4. Stock settings normally only come in calibrated sizes i.e. 10x8, 9x7, 6x4.

When you're mixing stone shapes with setting shapes you can get over/under lap and the look may well be different - unfortunately there's no way of telling unless you have the stone / setting in hand. Last year I put my purple sapphire (oval shape) into a triple halo for an emerald cut. To be honest it looks ok but if I were to do it again I would have had it made for an oval.

BTW if you look at your inspiration photo, the dark blue gem (sapphire/tanzanite?) is a real cushion shape so much more square than your oval. That's why, from the top, you don't see that the setting is made for a square gem. With an oval you'll see far more space at the sides.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think that is a spectacular stone and it deserves a custom setting.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SimplySplendid, Arcadian, TL, kelpie and LovingDiamonds for your responses!

This isn't a stock setting, it's just a ring I saw that I liked and is inspriation at this point.

I have actually been leaning toward custom since I would like to keep the design simple, yet elegant with deco inspired lines. But when I saw the side of this ring, it had me wondering if I were to look for a stock setting that was similar, if I could get away with going rectangular. I fear it will look mish-mashed and Im not sure if I want to take the risk. I'd need to see and try it for sure.

LD: Point 3 is one I had not considered, so thank you for that. The overlap would not bother me, a gap would however. I'm just not sure I want to cut the corners with a stock setting, but if I found the right stock setting, I would give it a shot.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I happened to come across this setting:

csr1133_copy.jpg

It's more cushion shaped, but it is a stock setting, so perhaps worth considering.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks aoife! I may have to work with a local jeweler to see if they can bring that in for me to see.

I am having a hard time as I like the elegance of a halo, yet there are other modern styles I like too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1301942249|2887561 said:
3. If you get a 7 x 9 you may find that the prongs then aren't long enough and will be positioned in the wrong place so need to be bent out and in again or even elongated.

Double prongs might alleviate this problem too.

I agree with the others that if you want a deco style appearance, you should probably really go custom. I have seen oval settings, or round ones with square halos in the ebay Chinese setting stores. However, I'm not sure you want to go that route.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL - I'm for sure not married to the deco idea. There are a few settings from Chinese sellers that I am considering... I like the idea of custom, but I don't like the pricetag and I don't need something that's going to set me back a few grand in the long run. I just want it on my finger to enjoy.

This is another contestant... much blingy-er than I would normally ever consider, but it has an elegance about it that calls me and it's unlike anything I own.

k9r3.png

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I also want to post this ring.... it is very modern, but I love the fluidity of it - reminds me of the ocean.

k9r4.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I think the last ring you posted in the modern setting is wonderful. It is a totally different direction, though!

Have you looked through Stuller, Adwar, Unique, and Overnight just to get some ideas? They are considerably cheaper than custom, and might help you narrow down the direction you want to go.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1301951803|2887702 said:
I also want to post this ring.... it is very modern, but I love the fluidity of it - reminds me of the ocean.

Bearing in mind the size of your stone, this ring would be VERY large if you take into account the width of the goldwork. Do you like very large rings?

I very much like the LOGR setting you've posted. However, overall I love the first setting you've posted in this thread but I think it may be fairly expensive to replicate. If that's ok then I'd most definitely go the custom route.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Aiofe - indeed, I am all over the map on this! I'm not very good at putting rings together - I tend to always be "safe". I have looked at Unique and Stuller, but not the other two. I'll have to check those out as well. This whole project is starting to feel like how it was shopping for tile!

LD - I have considered that it would be large... which admittedly, is a turn off for me. But, I want this particular ring to command a lot of attention and since it's an occasional ring and not an everyday ring, I'm trying to get outside of my comfort zone. I love the LOGR ring, but I would need to see it in person to know if it was right.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1301951304|2887690 said:
Thanks TL - I'm for sure not married to the deco idea. There are a few settings from Chinese sellers that I am considering... I like the idea of custom, but I don't like the pricetag and I don't need something that's going to set me back a few grand in the long run. I just want it on my finger to enjoy.

This is another contestant... much blingy-er than I would normally ever consider, but it has an elegance about it that calls me and it's unlike anything I own.

Wow, you do love your bling don't you!! I wish someone could photoshop your stone in there. I bet it would be spectacular, but I'm of the opinion, the more diamonds, the better. I love diamonds and halos (I'm easy to please). I really love paraibas in high karat yellow gold though. ;))

K9

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1301956826|2887784 said:
Wow, you do love your bling don't you!! I wish someone could photoshop your stone in there. I bet it would be spectacular, but I'm of the opinion, the more diamonds, the better. I love diamonds and halos (I'm easy to please). I really love paraibas in high karat yellow gold though. ;))

LOL!!! I looove diamonds.... I just usually like them in moderation. Something about this project has me wanting to go way over the top though! :Up_to_something:

I agree with what you said about yellow gold.... so I decided to do an experiment. I snapped photos of the stone with white and yellow gold just to see if it looked different. It seemed to behave equally as good giving me both bright blue and green tones, depending on the lighting.

With a WG diamond band.

With a YG band and the diamond band.

k9ts.jpg

k9tg.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I have to admit I like this

Its as close as I could get without spending more than a few minutes on it.

-A

k9r1colorized.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa - thanks Arc!! For faking, it looks darn good! I adore it - I fear it will be a lot of $$ though.

I don't suppose anyone can mock up for me the LOGR? Please?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure. Its not pretty though lol

The image I pulled from wasn't the biggest so I enlarged it. But it gives an idea at least.

-A

k9r3LOGR.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I can't Photoshop, but I could see this being ah-mazing in something like Pierreone's gorgeous BGD sapphire ring.

coral_hybiscus_sapphire.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel, I tried that one and yeah I can see it myself.

*ok i'm getting out of photoshop for a while...lol*

-A

k9coral_hybiscus_ fako.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Arc - you're my hero! I love it! :love: :lickout:

Um... ok, and now you've done the one Novel posted - I like that too. Although, if I were going to go that route, I might as well get a Victor Canera with french cuts. :cheeky:

You guys are tempting me with the more simple solitaire looks that I gravitate toward!

The halo really is lovely.... so glamorous! It almost makes me wonder where I'd wear it!

ETA: THANK YOU ARCADIAN!!!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
k9muttlover|1301966577|2887953 said:
Arc - you're my hero! I love it! :love: :lickout:

Um... ok, and now you've done the one Novel posted - I like that too. Although, if I were going to go that route, I might as well get a Victor Canera with french cuts. :cheeky:

You guys are tempting me with the more simple solitaire looks that I gravitate toward!

The halo really is lovely.... so glamorous! It almost makes me wonder where I'd wear it!

ETA: THANK YOU ARCADIAN!!!!

Well, nothing wrong with combining some art deco bling and the more simple, right? And please, no one would blame you for going with the Victor Canera... that is just heavenly.

I'm not a halo gal generally, but there is something about diamonds right against your stone that is lovely.

Arcadian, you rock at this!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Novel|1301966914|2887956 said:
Well, nothing wrong with combining some art deco bling and the more simple, right? And please, no one would blame you for going with the Victor Canera... that is just heavenly.

I'm not a halo gal generally, but there is something about diamonds right against your stone that is lovely.

That's totally the problem - EVERYTHING I have is very simple so that it can be worn daily and with everything. This tourmaline is so special I wanted something more... well, MORE for it! But, maybe that's not what I should do. Ugh, I'm so confused! I see everyone's lovely halos and I say "my next ring will be a halo"... and then I never pull the trigger.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem! I love photoshop for stuff like this and its fun (though definitely addictive!)

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1301967453|2887963 said:
Novel|1301966914|2887956 said:

That's totally the problem - EVERYTHING I have is very simple so that it can be worn daily and with everything. This tourmaline is so special I wanted something more... well, MORE for it! But, maybe that's not what I should do. Ugh, I'm so confused! I see everyone's lovely halos and I say "my next ring will be a halo"... and then I never pull the trigger.

Then get thyself a halo then! I have a bunch of halos and am going in the opposite direction...lol And I think you'd find a place to wear that ring. :bigsmile: I have some rings that I ONLY wear to dinner. So nothing wrong with having different rings for different occasions. ;))

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know LOGR makes a setting that looks a lot like this squared off halo. I love this, and I found it with a paraiba to show you.

410tmr.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again Arc and also TL for posting some examples for me. I definitely think halo is the way to go! :appl:

I'm leaning a lot toward the bling-a-licious LOGR... at least I'm thinking of ordering it so I can see it in person.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Ok gang... just thought I'd update with photos of my completed ring.

Despite not wanting to go custom, I went custom! Having used Quest jewelers in the past, I decided to give Pete a call and get a quote on my project. He had a design in stock that was similar to what I was looking for and the rest is history.

The diamonds are 2.2mm and there are 14 of them. It's cast in 14k white gold with 18k gold prongs and a 24k gold plated basket.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out - Pete was a pleasure to work with as always.

Here are some pics!

It's hard to see, but you can see how the basket here is gold.

k9topgb.jpg

k9prongsbg.jpg

k9gallerybg.jpg

k9basketbg.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results