shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline

K9

Brilliant_Rock
So, I purchased this tourmaline and I wanted to share it with you guys. I do have a question about it... what is the "void" in the upper corner (second picture, 1 o'clock position)???

It does seem to have a small window, but I am confident it will close when set. The color is too fantastic to even consider returning.

k9tourm1.jpg

k9tourm2.jpg

k9tourm3.jpg

k9tourm4.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well its certainly pretty! :love: It could be an inclusion that you're seeing. Did the vendor that you purchased from say anything about that? If they didn't and it also wasn't in the vendor pics, you may want to discuss that with them first.

Also depending on the gems location, if you don't have a report on it, you may want to. Is that a cuprian by chance?

and you know 2 pics is not enough!! Where the rest at??

-A

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
WHOA ! Gorgeous color!!!!!
I don't guess that the "inclusion" or whatever it is would bother me,
since I wouldn't be able to see anything but that glowing goodness :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The color is missing in your "void" because you are looking through the stone. Since you are tilting the stone, you are seeing a "tilt window". This is an unavoidable feature of all stones and is determined by their Refractive Index, the size of the table and how far they are tilted. You can't avoid it and all stones have it at some angle of tilt.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beauty - it sure looks like it has the cuprian glow :love: :appl:

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arcadian!

I uploaded 4 pictures, are the others not coming through?

It was sold to me as a blue-green tourmaline from Mozambique. It was not listed as a cuprian, copper bearing or the like, but it's clarity was listed as VS so I expected some inclusions. I just have no idea what the void is. I thought it was a chip at first, but it's for sure not a chip.

It was more than I wanted to spend, but the color is probably as close to paraiba as I'll ever be able to afford. HAHA.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I finally see the other 2 (computer is being crazy today..urg!!)

Its an amazing stone! it does look VERY clean!

So whatchagonnadowithit?

-A

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ooo~Shiney!, Michael_E and minousbijoux! It definitely has a glow to it and I was stunned when I received it!

Michael_E - thanks for your explanation. I want to be sure that you're seeing what I'm talking about. I'm familiar with a tilt window, but I have trimmed the photo to show the specific area I'm talking about.

There is this area that appears to be without color. ?

ETA: At first I thought it was a chip and was about to cry, but it isn't a chip - it's in the stone.

k9tourm9.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
And, for kicks, a few more photos.

Arcadian - it IS very clean to the naked eye. I am not sure what I'll do with it yet... I'd like to do a halo ring, but I am also thinking halo pendant. The trouble is, I want to SEE it! LOL.

k9tourm5.jpg

k9tourm6.jpg

k9tourm7.jpg

k9tourm8.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
k9muttlover|1301280226|2881559 said:
Michael_E - thanks for your explanation. I want to be sure that you're seeing what I'm talking about. I'm familiar with a tilt window, but I have trimmed the photo to show the specific area I'm talking about.

The image that you've shown shows two potential areas which look like internal fractures to me. They show up on the first picture in your last set as white areas which is what they would look like when the light is hitting them and making them very reflective. I labelled the tilt window just for kicks and it lies inside the table and will appear to move around as you move the stone. I wouldn't be too concerned about those potential fractures since they are hard to see and if the stone is set with multiple prongs or a bezel they will be impossible to see. Many stones have these sorts of inclusions and as long as they are not too near the surface and do not have pressure placed directly on them by a prong, they cause no problems. With a tourmaline you should really have a fairly protected setting anyway, so can be made into a non-issue quite easily. If it really bothers you you can always have the stone recut into a shorter oval, as the color makes it definitely a keeper.

Tourmaline Explained.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Michael_E|1301282810|2881582 said:
The image that you've shown shows two potential areas which look like internal fractures to me. They show up on the first picture in your last set as white areas which is what they would look like when the light is hitting them and making them very reflective. I labelled the tilt window just for kicks and it lies inside the table and will appear to move around as you move the stone. I wouldn't be too concerned about those potential fractures since they are hard to see and if the stone is set with multiple prongs or a bezel they will be impossible to see. Many stones have these sorts of inclusions and as long as they are not too near the surface and do not have pressure placed directly on them by a prong, they cause no problems. With a tourmaline you should really have a fairly protected setting anyway, so can be made into a non-issue quite easily. If it really bothers you you can always have the stone recut into a shorter oval, as the color makes it definitely a keeper.

Thank you so much for your time addressing this Michael. I suspected it was perhaps an internal fracture but wasn't sure if it was something I should be concerned about. I didn't notice it until I took photos so I'm only concerned if it will cause structural issues, which sounds like that isn't not cause for concern.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

stylish1

Rough_Rock
Iv'e looked and read some of the posts here and from what I see some of the responces are overly critical of this stone. I have almost nothing so I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to fill my plate with goodies. To me the stone is very nice, about 4 cts, small window, and a few very tiny flaws. This is a natural gem! You are bound to see something to question and in the longrun in my opinion, character is added to the stone. I'm getting ideas about pendents and gems. I'm not sure what a stone like this would cost, maybe 1-2 thousand dollars is my estimate. I would enjoy the stone for what it is not for whats taking some of the pleasure it is providing. Several years ago I got my hand caught in a door at work and the ring on my finger had to be cut off. the ring was nice but was replaceable, my hand still works and now I'm thinking pendents. This stone would be a nice start.

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful colour :love:
Ah, all these gems with these beautiful blue green colour is making me REALLY want to get something similar :naughty:
But seeing as I have such a tight budget, I suppose it's next to impossible :(sad
I can really see your tourmaline in a pendant, but I so totally get what you mean by wanting to have it set in a ring so that you can see it all the time :lol:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and let me add, that you have taken such stunning CLOSE UPS of the stone !!!!!!
I have a blue-green tourmaline (NOT as glowy as yours, though !!!)
and it is SO DIFFICULT to get pictures that I am satisfied with !!!!
I salute you ! :sun:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for taking a deep breath & hitting "Buy It!" Wonderful color & I'm looking forward to pics of however you set it. I think this one will make you smile the rest of your life.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stylish1|1301305841|2881680 said:
Iv'e looked and read some of the posts here and from what I see some of the responces are overly critical of this stone. I have almost nothing so I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to fill my plate with goodies. To me the stone is very nice, about 4 cts, small window, and a few very tiny flaws. This is a natural gem! You are bound to see something to question and in the longrun in my opinion, character is added to the stone. I'm getting ideas about pendents and gems. I'm not sure what a stone like this would cost, maybe 1-2 thousand dollars is my estimate. I would enjoy the stone for what it is not for whats taking some of the pleasure it is providing. Several years ago I got my hand caught in a door at work and the ring on my finger had to be cut off. the ring was nice but was replaceable, my hand still works and now I'm thinking pendents. This stone would be a nice start.

Stylish,
Many here do not take the comments as being overly critical. Here, we do not sugar coat for the sake of sugar coating. We attempt to be honest and polite at the same time. Facts are important when trying to determine if a stone is a keeper or not. In this case, I do not see any critical comments at all but facts. It has a small window, a tilt window is normal, colour is good for a blue green tourmaline and it looks to be a very clean stone.

K9,
It looks like internal inclusions to me in the upper right corner. As long as the prongs aren't too close to it or pressed to hard by the setter, it should be fine.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1301280417|2881561 said:
And, for kicks, a few more photos.

Arcadian - it IS very clean to the naked eye. I am not sure what I'll do with it yet... I'd like to do a halo ring, but I am also thinking halo pendant. The trouble is, I want to SEE it! LOL.

I know what you mean. A stone that color really makes it hard to decide... so ok me, I'd go the ring route, just because anytime I've made pendants, they end up with my mom... :lol: And I like pendants, but she likes them more. Plus yeah I'd want to see that stone.

Those inclusions likely will be hidden under a prong and probably don't pose a structural problem. A good setter can tell you all that for sure. (thanks Michael for that explanation)

I'm so excited for you! :appl: I can't wait to see what type of setting you come up with!!

-A

K9

Brilliant_Rock
stylish1|1301305841|2881680 said:
Iv'e looked and read some of the posts here and from what I see some of the responces are overly critical of this stone. I have almost nothing so I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to fill my plate with goodies. To me the stone is very nice, about 4 cts, small window, and a few very tiny flaws. This is a natural gem! You are bound to see something to question and in the longrun in my opinion, character is added to the stone.

Stylish1 - I agree completely that natural flaws give a stone character. I certainly have not taken any of the responses critical - in fact, I wanted the feedback because if those inclusion were to cause structural integrity issues, I'd return the stone because it was not cheap. There are many, many knowledgeable people here - much moreso than myself, and I rely on that knowledge to ensure I'm making good judgement calls when I buy. Colored stones are a unique beast!

tefutefu, JewelFreak, ooo~Shiney! and Arcadian - Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I probably will go with a ring, but then again.... I adore pendants too! I may have to toss a coin!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Good point Chrono! What you must understand, Stylish, most of the folks on here are what I like to call "Professional Gemstone Consumers". They are passionate about their hobby(or business). What may be seen as overly critical is just facts and honesty, like Chrono stated. They do their research and know their facts and have countless years of experience. The post may be intended for the OP originally but they are also for anyone who happens to stumble along and wants to learn or understand more. What also may be miscontrued as overly criical or nit-picky is just a bunch of like-minded people analyzing and breaking down a stone to it's core. Thats what you get when you get a bunch of passionate people in the same room. You would get the exact same thing if this was a car lovers frum or a stamp hobbyist or coin forum.(by the way great post Michael with the arrowsand such!! =) )

That is an odd stone, K9, and by odd I don't mean the color or the cut or the clarity which are all great...especially the color. It's odd because it has the classic color of a cuprian, it comes from mozambique, and yet it was sold not as a cuprian but as a regular tourm. Any one in their right mind would def. try and sell a cuprian as a cuprian to try and squeeze a few more dollars from it. I wonder...hmmmm...do you think maybe it was never tested for whatever reason...or..maybe it's just ole Iron peeping it's head out and showing us it can produce the same color as copper? I think I would send that puppy off to AGL to get a report on it since it's def. a keeper and I would HAVE to know if it was indeed copper bearing. Very nice color and stone, K9!!!!!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
amethystguy|1301333726|2881918 said:
That is an odd stone, K9, and by odd I don't mean the color or the cut or the clarity which are all great...especially the color. It's odd because it has the classic color of a cuprian, it comes from mozambique, and yet it was sold not as a cuprian but as a regular tourm. Any one in their right mind would def. try and sell a cuprian as a cuprian to try and squeeze a few more dollars from it. I wonder...hmmmm...do you think maybe it was never tested for whatever reason...or..maybe it's just ole Iron peeping it's head out and showing us it can produce the same color as copper? I think I would send that puppy off to AGL to get a report on it since it's def. a keeper and I would HAVE to know if it was indeed copper bearing. Very nice color and stone, K9!!!!!

Hm.... I will have to consider this. I would hate to let it out of my sight now, but I'll do a forum search to see how one would go about doing this should I decide to. It won't be set for a while since I have been blowing my dollars on loose stones as of late.

I'm so glad to hear from everyone that I did good! YAY! :appl:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
This is close to the classic color produced by copper molecules but Iron also does the same thing

copper color revised.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Very, very pretty stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results