shape
carat
color
clarity

H Color Diamonds

maibeans

Rough_Rock
Thinking about upgrading my diamond from a 2.2 to a 3.2, but in order to get a little size, I may need to compromise my color. I currently have an G and thinking about going to an H.

Please show me your H color diamonds, preferably over 1.5 carats and/or a round brilliant cut.

Specs are welcome....

Thanks!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You will be making a big size jump and you need to keep in mind that the difference from your G to an H will be much more discernible. You really should take a look at diamonds over 3ct in H color in person. I don’t know how color sensitive you are. Size seems to be the priority so you may be fine with it. The larger stone in my avatar is a BGD 2.31 H, no FL and it is too tinted for me (and your new diamond will be much larger), but the other diamond in my avatar 2.01ct is an E so I’m constantly seeing the comparison. Here is a glamour shot that BGD took:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking about upgrading my diamond from a 2.2 to a 3.2, but in order to get a little size, I may need to compromise my color. I currently have an G and thinking about going to an H.

Please show me your H color diamonds, preferably over 1.5 carats and/or a round brilliant cut.

Specs are welcome....

Thanks!

What gem company graded your current diamond? And your future one? GIA, AGS, IGI?

Is your current and future stone super ideal cut? - those hide colors better and face up whiter. Even though the size jump is significant, I do not believe you will see a huge difference in color (given both stones are super-ideals), especially if the bigger one is a "high" H and the smaller is a "low" G. Unless... you compare them side by side and unmounted. I do believe super ideal cut H stone still faces up white (unless compared to E, but not to G.)

It is best to see them both side by side so that you can decide if you want to sacrifice color vs. size.

This is my "high" H from sideview, 2.13ct: IMG_0494.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a great stone.

maibeans

Rough_Rock
You will be making a big size jump and you need to keep in mind that the difference from your G to an H will be much more discernible. You really should take a look at diamonds over 3ct in H color in person. I don’t know how color sensitive you are. Size seems to be the priority so you may be fine with it. The larger stone in my avatar is a BGD 2.31 H, no FL and it is too tinted for me (and your new diamond will be much larger), but the other diamond in my avatar 2.01ct is an E so I’m constantly seeing the comparison. Here is a glamour shot that BGD took:
1584492868908.jpeg

Thanks for posting your ring; it’s lovely. So i wouldn’t say I’m sensitive to color. The color things this is all kinda new to me. I was raised by a mom that loved diamonds and she engrained in my head to get a D or E color diamond. So when my now husband proposed he seeked advice form her so my original engagement diamond was an E like yours, and i upgraded in size (specs all the same XXX, vs2, no florescence). Only change was size (up one carat) and color from E to G. I was quite impressed that the G looked very good. Now I’m going bigger and I’m finding i might have to go to an H. I’ve never seen an H in person but a friend of mine has an I and it looks really nice. She does have a gold setting so im not sure if it’s harder to detect the warmth.
I am definitely planning to see my options in person (not buying online).

From my research it looks like H is the lowest recommended color to go with, showing a very subtle difference. I was just curious what the H looked like and what people’s opinions were.

Id love to stick to a G but would consider an H.

maibeans

Rough_Rock
What gem company graded your current diamond? And your future one? GIA, AGS, IGI?

Is your current and future stone super ideal cut? - those hide colors better and face up whiter. Even though the size jump is significant, I do not believe you will see a huge difference in color (given both stones are super-ideals), especially if the bigger one is a "high" H and the smaller is a "low" G. Unless... you compare them side by side and unmounted. I do believe super ideal cut H stone still faces up white (unless compared to E, but not to G.)

It is best to see them both side by side so that you can decide if you want to sacrifice color vs. size.

Thanks for posting your ring. I don’t really see the warmth in yourbut will def make the comparison side by side in person.

The diamond i had (original engagement ring) and current ring (5 year anniversary upgrade) and future upgrade (10 year anniversary) were/are/will be GIA certified. All are xxx vs2. Only changes will be size and color.

As you mentioned and per my research, if the diamond is cut well, the warmth will be less detectable in the lower end of the near colorless range. I’m hoping that stands true when i see it in person.

Thanks for your input.

maibeans

Rough_Rock

This is a great stone.

Thanks for your post. Hoping i get lucky and score like you did.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting your ring. I don’t really see the warmth in yourbut will def make the comparison side by side in person.

The diamond i had (original engagement ring) and current ring (5 year anniversary upgrade) and future upgrade (10 year anniversary) were/are/will be GIA certified. All are xxx vs2. Only changes will be size and color.

As you mentioned and per my research, if the diamond is cut well, the warmth will be less detectable in the lower end of the near colorless range. I’m hoping that stands true when i see it in person.

Thanks for your input.

Most people start seeing color (yellow hue) in I and J... not so much in H so keep us posted.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your input.

Btw, H is the upper end of the near colorless range not lower.

maibeans

Rough_Rock
Btw, H is the upper end of the near colorless range not lower.

Oops, yes, i meant ‘upper‘ end of near colorless. Will keep everyone posted once i find mrs. Perfect....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.05 ct AGS G med blue fluor on top.
3.34 ct GIA H on bottom.

IMG_2770 (2).jpg

Same two ring under the sun.
IMG_2737.jpg

AGS 2.62 ct G
262T.jpg

AGS 2.35 ct H

Attachments