carat
color
clarity

Griffin is Having a Hard Time!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1450395858|3962830 said:
woofmama|1450368551|3962661 said:
I'm attaching some information on the spay-neuter topic that you may find helpful. A very viable option that is becoming more relevant now is getting a vasectomy for a male dog. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_2/features/risks-benefits-spay-neuter-your-dog_20685-1.html?pg=1

I have missed hearing your voice in these threads, woofmama. I very much appreciated the link you provided, and understand, now, what you meant when you said that you had a holistic approach to dogs' health. The article's author appeared to have such an approach, too. The article was also sufficiently informative about neutering males that it reinforced my belief that I must have remembered correctly that it was only testicular cancers that were more prevalent in intact dogs. I thought it was a great article.

Deb :wavey:

Glad you enjoyed the article. I personally feel that all health concerns should be considered prior to doing anything medically invasive or irreversible to our pets. I believe that having my male neutered at 6 yrs old caused him to develop hypothyroidism. I do regret having done it. I don't have absolute proof but have researched quite a bit & feel I'm right. it was a major struggle trying to keep him at a healthy weight after that, very much like your "side of beef' description!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1450417500|3962934 said:
Also, here is a link to one of my favorite publications: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_9/features/Spaying-and-Neuturing_15649-1.html

Hopefully things will calm down soon. Poor Griffin! :doh:

Eta, oops, I didn't realize woofmama had already posted a similar link to wdj. Good to know other PS members use it though! :wavey:

Thank you for all your sage suggestions, Rockinruby. I can tell that you are an experienced dog owner with a philosophy similar to that of woofmama and me. (Dare I call it a "look before you leap" philosophy about dog surgeries?)
I found this excerpt from the article particularly interesting from a cultural and social point of view:

"Over the decades, as animal sheltering has increased in visibility and animal rescue has become more popular, spay/neuter has hardened into an almost militant social policy. Today, it’s widely a cultural norm for dogs to lack any physical signs of sexual maturation. I’ve had puppy buyers balk at the idea of a female’s silhouette being made 'unsightly' by visible nipples, and I had a co-worker who almost threw up at the idea of testicles on a male dog. 'Rubbing on my couch – ugh!' she proclaimed.

And, oftentimes, what we don’t know, we fear. 'The average person has never seen a dog in heat, never seen dogs mating, never watched a female give birth, never watched her raise her puppies,' one veterinarian reminded me."

Griffin is a big boy in all ways. When he lies on his back, which he is very comfortable doing, even in the coldest weather on top of snowbanks, he is innocent and shameless. He gives new meaning to having a pair of big ones.

Deb ;))

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Deb, not sure if you have ever used the forums on newf.net, but I've read them (and occasionally posted) over the years.

We didn't neuter either of our newfs until over the age of 2. We had planned to keep them in-tact indefinitely (for the health benefits, plus we were showing Bo), but both of our boys were in a daily doggy playgroup and we with such large dogs, we were worried that they could get away from the handler if there was a female in heat nearby and then we'd be in a really bad situation.

I will say that now that Bo has osteosarcoma--a cancer that is linked to early neutering--I have often wondered if 2 years was too early or if we shouldn't have neutered him at all. I have always been a proponent of late (or no) neutering, especially in giant breed dogs. I say that if Griffin is in good health, and the issue with him escaping has been remedied, then you may just have to endure the weight loss and neediness when there is a female in heat nearby.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1450470236|3963174 said:
Deb, not sure if you have ever used the forums on newf.net, but I've read them (and occasionally posted) over the years.

We didn't neuter either of our newfs until over the age of 2. We had planned to keep them in-tact indefinitely (for the health benefits, plus we were showing Bo), but both of our boys were in a daily doggy playgroup and we with such large dogs, we were worried that they could get away from the handler if there was a female in heat nearby and then we'd be in a really bad situation.

I will say that now that Bo has osteosarcoma--a cancer that is linked to early neutering--I have often wondered if 2 years was too early or if we shouldn't have neutered him at all. I have always been a proponent of late (or no) neutering, especially in giant breed dogs. I say that if Griffin is in good health, and the issue with him escaping has been remedied, then you may just have to endure the weight loss and neediness when there is a female in heat nearby.

It is so lovely to hear from you again, NewEnglandLady. You were the original Newfie owner on Pricescope, at least in my mind. And I always loved your boys. I find it so hard to think of you as a mother to children other than dogs, although I know that you are no longer even a new mother, because you were just a bride with dogs for so long! Thank you for weighing in. You are so experienced with the breed; I am sorry that some of the experience has been painful. And, no, I do not go on the Newfie groups. When I tried them there was just no conversation. The reason I chose the Golden Retriever group was that there was a lot of traffic there (plus I had a Golden early in my life and love the breed).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say what a beautiful boy Griffin is! We had friends in the past who had a Newfoundland, and that was one BIG dog!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1450451006|3963013 said:
Griffin is a big boy in all ways. When he lies on his back, which he is very comfortable doing, even in the coldest weather on top of snowbanks, he is innocent and shameless. He gives new meaning to having a pair of big ones.

Deb ;))
Deb Deb Deb I just cant believe you said that!!!
ROFL you owe me a keyboard!!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1450344980|3962588 said:
Karl_K|1450332721|3962560 said:
cold shower

:))

The question will be how to get it cold enough. These dogs break the Arctic ice with their chests while they swim off the coast of Newfoundland. My Golden Retriever group enjoyed this series of photos from one of last year's snows. They have to be viewed in order. It was very hard to get Griffin to sit up. He was so comfortable that he didn't want to cooperate.

lol tiger used to do the same thing in the snow. (malamute mix)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry he is having a tough time, but he looks like such a sweet dog.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1450496574|3963369 said:

Deb ;))

Deb Deb Deb I just cant believe you said that!!!
ROFL you owe me a keyboard!!!!

I so rarely have the privilege of seeing you post in reply to anything I write in Hangout. Is the secret to drawing you into threads shocking you? I'm not sure that I can repeat the performance!!!

I'm not kidding that it is good to see you appear, Karl. You make me feel warm and safe. Merry Christmas to you and Karen.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1450499069|3963380 said:
Sorry he is having a tough time, but he looks like such a sweet dog.

Thank you, Cheryl. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1450487070|3963293 said:
Just wanted to say what a beautiful boy Griffin is! We had friends in the past who had a Newfoundland, and that was one BIG dog!

Hi, ds-

Griff is not big for a Newf, but all Newfs are big <smile>.
Thank you for the compliment. He is such a good boy.
He is the sweetest dog I have ever known. He just wants to cuddle all the time.

Hugs,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1450534731|3963478 said:
I so rarely have the privilege of seeing you post in reply to anything I write in Hangout. Is the secret to drawing you into threads shocking you? I'm not sure that I can repeat the performance!!!

I'm not kidding that it is good to see you appear, Karl. You make me feel warm and safe. Merry Christmas to you and Karen.

thanks Merry Christmas!!!
My computer has been down for a while and my junk box was all junk after keeping friends and family in computers and I don't like typing on this thing so mostly just reading.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am no help with advice, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy seeing pictures of Griffin. He is such a big beautiful boy Deb and I'll bet he has brought you much joy. And I love the comment about his "big ones" LOL!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1450549624|3963560 said:
I am no help with advice, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy seeing pictures of Griffin. He is such a big beautiful boy Deb and I'll bet he has brought you much joy. And I love the comment about his "big ones" LOL!

Wow, Sundial, it's super to see you again. I saw you in a thread recently after ages of failing to see you at all. I have missed you greatly. This thread about Griffin seems to have attracted (I have no idea how) some wonderful, long lost members. (By that I mean people who used to post constantly and now who now grace this board very rarely.) Some of you were the best and the brightest and when you reappear, it is magical. :saint:

Big hugs,

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your sage suggestions, Rockinruby. I can tell that you are an experienced dog owner with a philosophy similar to that of woofmama and me. (Dare I call it a "look before you leap" philosophy about dog surgeries?)

Deb ;))

Thanks for your kind words! I definitely think it's a good idea to research things first before making any major decisions. You have to be a good advocate for your animal. ;-)

I got quite a laugh out of your comment about Griffin being a big boy in all ways! :D Too funny! One of my friends recently made quite a stir because she posted a photo of her male dog innocently sleeping upside down on her couch. :shock: Some people were offended by his male parts whereas I never noticed it when she showed me the pic! (Her dog has never been bred, but hasn't been neutered because he is still showing)

I love the photos of Griffin. Please feel free to post more anytime because it's clear everyone loves seeing his sweet face! :wavey:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1450550076|3963566 said:
Sundial|1450549624|3963560 said:

Wow, Sundial, it's super to see you again. I saw you in a thread recently after ages of failing to see you at all. I have missed you greatly. This thread about Griffin seems to have attracted (I have no idea how) some wonderful, long lost members. (By that I mean people who used to post constantly and now who now grace this board very rarely.) Some of you were the best and the brightest and when you reappear, it is magical. :saint:

Big hugs,

And hugs back to you Deb! I don't post as much as I used to and then mostly in Show Me the Bling, but I always enjoy reading your thoughtful intelligent comments. It is great to "see" you again.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
No advice either, but I admire your dedication to doing what's best for your dog, and not just what's easiest. He's so gorgeous!! What a love.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1450642409|3963943 said:
No advice either, but I admire your dedication to doing what's best for your dog, and not just what's easiest. He's so gorgeous!! What a love.

What a kind thing to say. Thank you so much, katharath!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1450473094|3963188 said:
NewEnglandLady|1450470236|3963174 said:

It is so lovely to hear from you again, NewEnglandLady. You were the original Newfie owner on Pricescope, at least in my mind. And I always loved your boys. I find it so hard to think of you as a mother to children other than dogs, although I know that you are no longer even a new mother, because you were just a bride with dogs for so long! Thank you for weighing in. You are so experienced with the breed; I am sorry that some of the experience has been painful. And, no, I do not go on the Newfie groups. When I tried them there was just no conversation. The reason I chose the Golden Retriever group was that there was a lot of traffic there (plus I had a Golden early in my life and love the breed).

That's so sweet of you, Deb! Even though I'm now a mother to human children, Byron and Bo will always be my "first" kids. While Byron passed in April, he's still a big part of our lives and my husband and I often mention how grateful we are for him. And we really do try to enjoy every day we have with Bo--he's been an amazing trooper through all of his treatments. You know how I feel about newfies :) they're just the best dogs ever :)

Completely understand about the newf forums, it's very, very slow there!

Love seeing pics of Griffin!! He's such a handsome boy!

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pictures of Griffin, I was hoping someone would ask you to post. He looks like a real love!

I hope he feels better soon!

Woofmama, any chance we could see pix of your Giants?

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about Griffin's troubles! I have no advice, but just wanted to tell you I think Griffin is beautiful and I understand the leaning thing. My 2 year old newfie Elvis, is quite a leaner too! elvis.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
parkerj|1450807145|3964858 said:
Sorry to hear about Griffin's troubles! I have no advice, but just wanted to tell you I think Griffin is beautiful and I understand the leaning thing. My 2 year old newfie Elvis, is quite a leaner too!

Oh, my word is he gorgeous!!! Would you care to share from what breeder you got him? He looks like a honey. Please, please, tell us some Elvis stories!!! If he is two you must have loads of them!!!

Big hugs,
Deb
(((parkerj & Elvis)))

By the way, Griffin's girlfriend must be out of heat, because he is back to normal!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
springerspaniel|1450780453|3964723 said:
Thank you for the pictures of Griffin, I was hoping someone would ask you to post. He looks like a real love!

Thank you, springerspaniel. One of our members who posts in the thread on pets has beautiful Springer Spaniels. Please put up a photo of your dog here, too! They are a wonderful breed.

As I posted above, Griffin is back to normal. Thank goodness! And thank you for caring.

Hugs,

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
I am soooo glad to hear Griffin is back to normal! I did see the beautiful Springers earlier in this post. Rescued my first over 10 years ago and have been adopting ever since! Here are Ellie and Yogi, waiting to open their stockings.

dscn0148.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I breed a very very small number of Scottish terriers. People do really dumb things with animals including desexing them way too young, this can cause issues with bone and hormonal development both in dogs and cats.

I desex ALL dogs I am not going to show or breed from at a mature age. There are arguments and pluses and minuses on both sides. In this case the positives would be it would stop him fretting, it would stop him wanting to wander and get out (and possibly be stolen or hit by a car or taken to an animal shelter), and it can prevent some cancers. The negatives will be he will become even more laid back to the point of being really floppy and sloppy behaviour wise most of the time and probably unless you exercise him a lot put on weight at the drop of a hat.

I am probably in the camp of pro-desexing if you are not going to show or breed, because I go with the theory if anything happens to me, no one can do anything dumb with any of my dogs (like puppy farming) and they will be calmer overall, easier to handle and generally less likely to create trouble for themselves and for their owners.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is -1 F here and Griffin will not come inside. I am reluctant to return to bed because when it gets this cold he eventually barks and wants to come in, but he has been refusing all treats and entreaties to get him inside so far. My fingers have become cold and numb downstairs and I want to go upstairs where it is warmer. He looks blissfully happy on our front lawn curled up as if in front of a hearth. ;))

Deb
:saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Deb, I am glad there is someone at least who is enjoying this truly frigid weather. :bigsmile:
Big Valentine's Day (((hugs))) to you and dear sweet Griffin. Hope you are both staying comfie and cozy and that Griffin is still enjoying our deep freeze.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1455453805|3990893 said:
Hi Deb, I am glad there is someone at least who is enjoying this truly frigid weather. :bigsmile:
Big Valentine's Day (((hugs))) to you and dear sweet Griffin. Hope you are both staying comfie and cozy and that Griffin is still enjoying our deep freeze.

I drove from Virginia to Connecticut yesterday with my eye on the thermometer my Jeep has and an ear out for any temperature readings from the radio. During the day (which was when I was driving) I didn't hit any zones where the temperatures were in the negative zones. The Hudson Valley of New York was pretty cold at about 5 degrees F. How cold is it now (the temps have dropped) in New York City and New Jersey, missy?. Should I start a thread on the weather? ;))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1455460186|3990929 said:
missy|1455453805|3990893 said:

I drove from Virginia to Connecticut yesterday with my eye on the thermometer my Jeep has and an ear out for any temperature readings from the radio. During the day (which was when I was driving) I didn't hit any zones where the temperatures were in the negative zones. The Hudson Valley of New York was pretty cold at about 5 degrees F. How cold is it now (the temps have dropped) in New York City and New Jersey, missy?. Should I start a thread on the weather? ;))

It is officially too cold IMO. Actual reading zero with windchill hovering at about -20F I think. C'mon spring. Please hurry. ::)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No advice that I can share, as I have canine gals, but wanted to chime in that Griffin is gorgeous, and I would snuggle the crud out of him if given the chance. I love big, cuddly dogs. Hope he is doing better soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results