Grey Spinel buying advice

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Any idea how to post videos?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like that cushion in the first video - cut too shallow

I don't like the Asscher in the second video - cut too shallow

I like the emerald cut in the third video - it's pretty decently proportioned, has a nice purple undertone, and if it's affordable I think it's a solid choice.

The 2.89 Asscher actually looks the best cut but it has a very dark tone and saturation. I would pass on it

sbc86

Rough_Rock
I don't like that cushion in the first video - cut too shallow

I don't like the Asscher in the second video - cut too shallow

I like the emerald cut in the third video - it's pretty decently proportioned, has a nice purple undertone, and if it's affordable I think it's a solid choice.

The 2.89 Asscher actually looks the best cut but it has a very dark tone and saturation. I would pass on it

Appreciate you looking through the videos. So far Emerald cut seems to be the best of the ones I have shared.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate you looking through the videos. So far Emerald cut seems to be the best of the ones I have shared.

Can you share what price they're asking for it?

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Can you share what price they're asking for it?

Cushion cut-I got a vague response on pricing, best I could gather was $200/ct. Still waiting for more info on dimensions and pricing
Asscher cut $1400, comes with a GFCO gem lab certificate
Emerald cut I believe was about $550

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion cut-I got a vague response on pricing, best I could gather was $200/ct. Still waiting for more info on dimensions and pricing

Sbc if these are from Annie I snagged an emerald cut and was worried about the window which seemed accentuated in photos but IRL I have to look for it.

The last one is in the world's worst lighting, but it is my test because if I like it after that pall I know I will be ok.

IMG_0146.jpg 20210503_103233.jpg 20210503_103557.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

Wow my gosh they have gotten expensive!! Based on that pricing I would only consider the emerald cut. I would offer $400 and see what they say

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Sbc if these are from Annie I snagged an emerald cut and was worried about the window which seemed accentuated in photos but IRL I have to look for it.

The last one is in the world's worst lighting, but it is my test because if I like it after that pall I know I will be ok.

IMG_0146.jpg 20210503_103233.jpg 20210503_103557.jpg

That is a beautiful spinel and I like the setting. What did you use for the side stones? Would you mind sharing the size of your center stone?

Some of these are from Annie. She is very pleasant to deal with and happy to send photos and videos.

It is hard to take good picture of gems. I know that first hand from my emerald. It is a beautiful gem IRL but my pictures make the color look weird and make it look like it has a whole big door you can walk through.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Wow my gosh they have gotten expensive!! Based on that pricing I would only consider the emerald cut. I would offer $400 and see what they say

That is more than 25% discount! I was afraid to round it down to $500. I am always afraid of offending people.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful spinel and I like the setting. What did you use for the side stones? Would you mind sharing the size of your center stone?

Some of these are from Annie. She is very pleasant to deal with and happy to send photos and videos.

It is hard to take good picture of gems. I know that first hand from my emerald. It is a beautiful gem IRL but my pictures make the color look weird and make it look like it has a whole big door you can walk through.

I had the setting pre loved, the traps and bullets were sourced by DK for the original ring. The spinel is 3ct and measured 9.7 x 7.6mm.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
I had the setting pre loved, the traps and bullets were sourced by DK for the original ring. The spinel is 3ct and measured 9.7 x 7.6mm.

OMG! When did you get that spinel? That is exactly the dimensions of the 3ct spinel in my shortlist. I contacted Annie about it yesterday, unfortunately it is not available.

Seems unlikely that you can get the stone and have it set within a matter of few days but I am very happy for you, if you ended up getting it. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for it.

Last edited:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I follow haydenfred_gems on Instagram and he/she often has some nice Spinels. Prices seem pretty reasonable when they are posted. I've never purchased anything though.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! When did you get that spinel? That is exactly the dimensions of the 3ct spinel in my shortlist. I contacted Annie about it yesterday, unfortunately it is not available.

Seems unlikely that you can get the stone and have it set within a matter of few days but I am very happy for you, if you ended up getting it. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for it.

I just received it Friday. It isn't set just sitting in the setting, hence why I was so particular about the dimensions. She shipped it Monday last week. Probably the same stone. It was $450 with DHL shipping. I also got some melee for another project. I think the total was $520 all inclusive. No customs issues.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
I just received it Friday. It isn't set just sitting in the setting, hence why I was so particular about the dimensions. She shipped it Monday last week. Probably the same stone. It was $450 with DHL shipping. I also got some melee for another project. I think the total was $520 all inclusive. No customs issues.
I am glad you got the stone. It fits perfectly in your setting. Did you negotiate or that was the quoted price?

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely keep looking! These are purple/violet with a bit of gray, not a true gray. They are also extremely windowed.

In my opinion, the most beautiful gray spinels are the platinum-gray stones that just sparkle with an icy luster.
1620364019166.png

I had them in my watchlist and somebody scooped them up before I got my paycheck for the week :(2

1620363805456.png

1620363634765.png 1620363669944.png

sbc86

Rough_Rock
I would definitely keep looking! These are purple/violet with a bit of gray, not a true gray. They are also extremely windowed.

In my opinion, the most beautiful gray spinels are the platinum-gray stones that just sparkle with an icy luster.
1620364019166.png

I had them in my watchlist and somebody scooped them up before I got my paycheck for the week :(2

1620363805456.png

1620363634765.png 1620363669944.png

Sorry you weren’t able to get your preferred stone. Hope you find something to your liking soon.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad you got the stone. It fits perfectly in your setting. Did you negotiate or that was the quoted price?

Sort of. I also ordered the little spinels and the total came out lower than I expected.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Sorry you weren’t able to get your preferred stone. Hope you find something to your liking soon.

Do you mind posting your own pictures of the stones? I love comparing vendor and PSer pics!

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Do you mind posting your own pictures of the stones? I love comparing vendor and PSer pics!

I am still on the lookout for a grey spinel. I will certainly post a comparison picture when I get one.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
These 5 are not gray spinel, they are gray blue and gray purple. Gray spinel can not have other tones except gray tones.When the light is sufficient, it will be colored fire due to the dispersion, but the body can not have other tones except gray
Gray spinel without other tones is not so easy to find
keep looking。。。。

DSC_9539a.jpg DSC_9550.jpg DSC_9540a.jpg DSC_9553.jpg

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These 5 are not gray spinel, they are gray blue and gray purple. Gray spinel can not have other tones except gray tones.
Gray spinel without other tones is not so easy to find
keep looking。。。。

DSC_9539a.jpg DSC_9550.jpg DSC_9540a.jpg DSC_9553.jpg

I beg to differ. It’s personal choice. Grey spinels with other tones can be stunning.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I beg to differ. It’s personal choice. Grey spinels with other tones can be stunning.

the color preference is indeed different for everyone,Maybe I think more about rare attributes, Gray-blue and gray-violet spinels are very easy to find, but gray spinels without other hues are actually relatively rare

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results