shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Spinel buying advice

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the forum. Looking to purchase my first grey spinel. These five spinels looked interesting to me. I am leaning towards the second one from the left. It also the most expensive of the group. It is priced more than twice per carat of the rest.

Do you guys think it is a good stone or should I keep looking?

, 8BA68392-4F56-4AAD-BCD9-248DE74912BF.png

595C42C3-440D-4699-8CE1-34C16622B8D3.png

62216CBC-2377-4E3E-90D2-71F81F0879B9.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course it depends on what you like. Real explosion of interest in gray spinel which used to be a "practice" stone for cutting, IIRC.

I like the tone of the one on the far right, although I would prefer a step cut like yours. Some of those have big windows, but hard to tell in the trough there.

Prices shot up so high and so fast that it was cheaper for me to get a gray sapphire than a lighter-toned spinel. I have not seen any in person or "in the wild."

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course it depends on what you like. Real explosion of interest in gray spinel which used to be a "practice" stone for cutting, IIRC.

I like the tone of the one on the far right, although I would prefer a step cut like yours. Some of those have big windows, but hard to tell in the trough there.

Prices shot up so high and so fast that it was cheaper for me to get a gray sapphire than a lighter-toned spinel. I have not seen any in person or "in the wild."

I have been wondering what the attraction to these is. 10 years ago rough dealers almost couldn't give this material away. They would try to convince me that they are really purple or slight blue anything but gray!

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Probably a minor Tulip mania going on with the grey spinels. Have been curious about it, so was thinking of taking the plunge.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I stumbled on a 3 stone grey spinel ring on JTV. The stones are beautiful and I love it. Price does not always indicate value or taste...

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Based on total visual appearance, I like the stone you chose the best. If the price is one with which you're happy, I would say you should buy that one.

Grey spinel is VERY trendy right now. The prices you're seeing are probably shocking to people who have been following colored stones for a long time. Truthfully, I don't think any of those are cut horribly well. I would probably buy the largest stone and send it to a precision gem cutter.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering what the attraction to these is. 10 years ago rough dealers almost couldn't give this material away. They would try to convince me that they are really purple or slight blue anything but gray!

People like grey. you can accomplish a big look with a stone that has lovely cut, clarity and dispersion for an extremely low price - a nice alternative to the rise in those hideous salt and pepper diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think one of the biggest attractions to spinel is that when they’re cut and polished well, they’re extremely brilliant and dispersive with a Diamond like luster. Since most spinels in the cooler hues tend to have grey modifiers, this is overlooked due to the attraction of luster and sparkle.

After seeing the Hope Diamond in person, one can understand the attraction of grey spinel. To me, under the right lighting conditions, and with superior cut and polish, a grey spinel is a dead ringer for the Hope Diamond in terms of visual qualities (hue, tone, sparkle, luster, dispersion).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what others are saying - gray spinel can be very very sparkly, and have a sort of silvery sheen to it that is very attractive. I have quite a few, though I didn't pay very much money for them. Even when they were quite cheap, several people here on PS collected them. It's also a way for people to have a "color" gemstone that is still a neutral color, for those who don't want bright colors, which I think is part of the mainstream appeal right now - an alternative to the flesh-toned morganite.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I’d probably choose the one with the smallest window.

TL which one is that? I either don't notice or see them even when they aren't there. I can see obvious windows on three and five. One is to dark to tell.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL which one is that? I either don't notice or see them even when they aren't there. I can see obvious windows on three and five. One is to dark to tell.

I think the only ones that possibly don't have windows are 1 and 4.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They all have pretty sizable windows. It’s hard to tell. However, I think the one all the way to the left has the smallest window, but it’s still significant.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
They are windowed because it looks like they were cut shallow with a wide depth to give a large visual size for the weight. They'll probably look nice and sparkly around the edges, but will have dull/dead center sections

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always hated grey gemstones and didn't see the appeal until ............. I bought a grey spinel recently and only because I wanted a large emerald cut! It was cheap so I was approaching it a bit like costume jewellery. However, it arrived and I fell in love. I think I may just have been lucky but mine has lots of blue tones and sparkles like mad.

@sbc86 the nicest cut is the 4th from the left but beware that many step cuts will have a window.

IMG_3719.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always hated grey gemstones and didn't see the appeal until ............. I bought a grey spinel recently and only because I wanted a large emerald cut! It was cheap so I was approaching it a bit like costume jewellery. However, it arrived and I fell in love. I think I may just have been lucky but mine has lots of blue tones and sparkles like mad.

@sbc86 the nicest cut is the 4th from the left but beware that many step cuts will have a window.

IMG_3719.jpg

I am the same I set my spinel in silver because again I saw it more like a fun consume ring. Then I set it and I realize it’s one of the most versatile and wearable rings. Edgy but goes with everything.
Idk I just think it’s an unusual neutral and you can’t go wrong with that

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_3719.jpg

That’s so beautiful. Again, very blue diamond like.

voce

Ideal_Rock
All windowed here. Go for your preferred shape/size if you don't mind windows.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Appreciate all of you taking the time to reply in detail. I am looking at few other greys. Once I narrow it down to 2 or 3, I will ask for your thoughts on the spinels.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_3719.jpg

Oooh @LD! It’s beautiful. I’m on the same path! I sold a moissanite emerald cut that was gorgeous..I really wanted a diamond..but decided an emerald cut gray spinel would be gorgeous. Where did you purchase yours? What is the size?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh @LD! It’s beautiful. I’m on the same path! I sold a moissanite emerald cut that was gorgeous..I really wanted a diamond..but decided an emerald cut gray spinel would be gorgeous. Where did you purchase yours? What is the size?

I got it from Haydenfred_gems on Instagram. It's 3.89ct and 10.5 x 7.8mm. Hope that helps.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got it from Haydenfred_gems on Instagram. It's 3.89ct and 10.5 x 7.8mm. Hope that helps.

Thank you @LD That’s close in size to my former unmentionable. I hope they offer another one for sale.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Narrowed down to these three. First one is new, second and third are from the original grouping. Will appreciate hearing what you guys think of them. 1st seems to have a rutile. Not sure how distracting it might be IRL. I will get pictures and videos for it later today.

8F6094F4-65AF-408A-80AF-633CD33D3606.jpeg

Attachments

• D8A0B5F7-ACE1-43B3-9452-32CDFA1436A7.png
    D8A0B5F7-ACE1-43B3-9452-32CDFA1436A7.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DDBADE38-12E9-4D3B-946E-C1B47BC9F6D1.jpeg
    DDBADE38-12E9-4D3B-946E-C1B47BC9F6D1.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 158
  • B1524BD1-B037-4D5A-A1D7-358D07BD0310.png
    B1524BD1-B037-4D5A-A1D7-358D07BD0310.png
    851.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 4FEC2138-E9A6-47AD-83AD-865887A3F85C.jpeg
    4FEC2138-E9A6-47AD-83AD-865887A3F85C.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 158

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all have significant windows, but I like the cushion best because of the high crown, which translates to more sparkle. Although due to the window, it will only sparkle around the crown, and be dead in the center.

I think those windows are far more distracting than a rutile needle.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Out of the new set, the emerald cut is going to look the best. I'd actually purchase that if it were an option for me. I respectfully disagree that it has a notable window. Spinel just has a lower refractive index than diamond does.

I don't like the proportions on the cushion cut. It is too shallow and it's going to look mostly dead and dark. Stone #2 is also too shallow and will look nice around the edges and dark in the center.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
They all have significant windows, but I like the cushion best because of the high crown, which translates to more sparkle. Although due to the window, it will only sparkle around the crown, and be dead in the center.

I think those windows are far more distracting than a rutile needle.

Thank you. I guess search continues.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rutile wouldn’t bother me. I think it might be intriguing to look at.
I’d like to see a head on shot to determine whether a window was a deal breaker or not.
And really, you still see facets, so it’s not like they are the worst (best?) examples of windows...........

I like the elongated ec one.
Not fond of the square Ec one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results