shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Lake Jewelers - Nerd Ring/Wedding Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow, they are gorgeous! Wow, I love this set...totally love it!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW a STUNNING set. Just STUNNING!!
36.gif

Congrats on the book deal. That''s a good use of the advance money!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh they are stunning! I have been thinking of working with glj now that I am on the west coast and can go there in person, and now I think I will need to pay them a visit for sure!

Can we see hand shots of the e-ring if not the whole set? Pretty please?

Oh, and I would be interested in a sword swinging fantasy! I looooove that stuff!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Um. WOW! Those are spectacular! REALLY spectacular! I LOOOOVE the unplated white gold and warm diamond. I wear an M in a pendant and always take it off to look at it because I''m fascinated with the way it shifts color. I''d LOOOOVE to have that on my finger!
31.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Very unique. I love Green Lake Jewelers...I''ve been drooling over their stuff for awhile.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 1:04:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I consulted with them and I regret not going with it - at the time I thought it was too expensive and out of budget but I ended up paying 1/3 more and not being happy. lesson learned! GLJ wants their people to be happy and you have every right to be thrilled with that set! Congrats :)

so... about those *other* projects.... ???

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience elsewhere. Hope it wasn't too awful.
40.gif

As for the other projects... well, I sent two of Rick Martin's stones (from Art Cut Gems) to Sally at Heart of Water to be set into the Mom Pendants for my mom and FMIL -- a cross between a wedding-party present and a more general "thanks for being awesome moms, we wouldn't have gotten this far without your support" appreciation gift. My Google-fu is weak and I can't find the thread in CS right now, so I'll just repost one of the pictures here. The whole story is somewhere in that forum.

I also have a pair of pendants being made by Julia Kay Taylor right now, also using stones from Art Cut Gems. I'm giving one to each of my sisters, who will be bridesmaids. The pendants were finished just a couple of days ago and I'll make a thread in CS when they arrive (provided I remember and can take half-decent pictures -- no guarantee!).

Here's one of the Mom Pendants -- this one is my mom's.

HoWCit01a.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 5:35:14 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Awesome rings!

I''m in Philly too (I think you know that already..). You have a great collection, and I can''t wait to see your pendant from Sally when that''s done. Hope you can make it to the Philly GTG in January! I wanna see all your cool stuff in person!

I''m also a huge nerd myself. I really liked Legend of the Seeker (but couldn''t bring myself to watch the TV show since I''m sure it''s nothing at all like the books), and all things sci-fi/fantasy-ish.

Congrats on the book deal! That''s really exciting!!

Thanks!
5.gif

I''m hoping to make it to the Philly GTG. So far things look good. I asked PS Admin to send you my email address so I could get on the mailing list, and am looking forward to finally meeting some of the people behind the sparkly avatars. You might be disappointed with respect to my collection, though -- most of it''s going to other people and will be long gone by then.
2.gif

It''s really awesome to hear you''re a fellow nerd, too. Yay!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2, LaurenThePartier, Luckyeshe, SanDiegoLady, vespergirl -- thank you for the kind words! (and LTP, I have long admired your asschers; they''ve inspired me to add an asscher to my wishlist, in the unlikely event that I can afford more sparkly stuff sometime in the next ten years)

Snicklefritz -- it''s definitely worth considering, IMO. I haven''t tried putting a K/L-range diamond in yellow gold (although it seems lovely based on the pictures I''ve seen on PS) but a bezel of unplated white gold definitely enhances the stone''s tint. I can see more warmth in my diamond now than when it was unset or put in a white metal temp setting. It doesn''t look anything like a yellow diamond, nor an icy white, but somewhere noticeably in between. Even people who don''t care much for diamonds can see the tint in this setting. That''s exactly what I wanted, but it may not be for everyone, depending on what your goals are.

AustenNut -- me too! My friend seriously had to talk me out of pretending to be married and wearing them around today.
2.gif

SparklyOEC -- thanks!! (and good to see another OEC lover!)

poshpepper, lulu, Diamond*Dana, oddoneout -- thank you!
1.gif

Stone Hunter -- well, no, it wasn''t really, and sometimes I feel guilty about not using the money for something more practical... but then I look at the pretty pretty sparkles and then it''s no regrets baby yeah!!
11.gif

dreamer_dachsie -- I would love to visit the Green Lake workshops in person. I can only imagine the things they must have there. You''re so lucky to have them close by! They were really great to work with.

As for handshots... well, we''ll see. It''d be easier if I had half the skill of some of the PS photographers.

Kelli -- the color changes are striking, aren''t they? I bet they''d be even more pronounced with an M. Wish I had one on a pendant!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

I''m loving that unplated gold colour
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful, love the set
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, I LOVE the set! You have the most fantatic taste and ideas!
30.gif
30.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME...TOTALLY UNIQUE!!!!
30.gif

Lori

melissacutie

Rough_Rock
pretty cool rings! unique. eye-catching jewelry pieces!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Stunning set!!
36.gif
30.gif

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is amazing - unique and beautiful! Do you think the unplated white gold makes your diamond look whiter? I would not have guessed it was J/K/L-ish in color from the photos.

Please do post the title of your book when it is published, if you feel comfortable doing so
1.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the kind words! They are very much appreciated.
1.gif

Date: 12/6/2009 11:11:06 AM
Author: tsavvy
Do you think the unplated white gold makes your diamond look whiter? I would not have guessed it was J/K/L-ish in color from the photos.

Honestly, no. I''ve heard that yellow gold can be used to hide the tint of a warmer diamond, but IMO unplated white gold really just emphasizes it, especially in a mostly-enclosed bezel setting. The diamond looks a lot warmer now than it did before I had it set. Again, that was my goal with the ring, and I feel the metal accomplished that pretty well. If I were trying to hide the tint I''d probably have gone with either YG (so it looked like the yellowness came from the setting rather than the stone) or platinum prong mountings (bezels definitely seem to draw out the tint, so maybe prongs would hide that better).

If the diamond doesn''t look like a low color, it''s probably because of the cut. If this diamond were a Whiteflash stone, it''d probably be an Expert Selection -- it''s juuuusst short of being a perfect H&A, but it''s very nicely cut and shows strong hearts and arrows patterns. Sparkles do more to obscure a diamond''s color than anything else could.
2.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Such a lovely set! Your warm stone looks perfect in the setting you chose.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely set
30.gif
I love that unplated WG look. I also like the pendants you''re getting for them
1.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
congrats on your book deal and marriage Liane
36.gif
and on your gorgeous ring
31.gif
i really like it and it looks beautifully made
30.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 8:48:32 AM
Author: Liane

I went with a thorn motif for several reasons, but one of the biggies is that I am a prickly person and being married to me is no easy task... so I wanted to signify that too.
11.gif

I love it! And the resulting rings!

Will hubby's ring carry on the thorny theme?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I adore GLJ's work- I had a setting with some engraving of theirs on it, and it really is the best you can get in a modern set (and just as good as antique pieces), I believe. Your set is just amazing. I love bezels, the thorn motif you chose is gorgeous and soooo perfectly executed by GLJ and the stone? I love warm colored diamonds!

Really, perfect. It makes me want to own something by GLJ again so badly! (Those cigarette cases they have in their showcases are spectacular... the engraving is just as good as the actual antique ones.)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a keeper that set is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an absolutely gorgeous set!! Congratulations on your book and your upcoming wedding.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh hey, I didn''t realize this got bumped. Thanks for the kind words, all.
1.gif

Date: 12/16/2009 2:57:47 AM
Author: VRBeauty

Will hubby''s ring carry on the thorny theme?
Ha, no. He is an unfailingly courteous and mild-mannered person. Not prickly in the slightest.
2.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 2:59:43 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I adore GLJ''s work- I had a setting with some engraving of theirs on it, and it really is the best you can get in a modern set (and just as good as antique pieces), I believe.
I was just admiring yours in the reset thread! It was such a beautiful swirly motif.

I do really love their work. The only regret I have is that I occasionally still wish I''d used an OEC for this. The RB is nice, but in my heart of hearts I''m still longing for an OEC.

Aah, well. Maybe in five years, if it''s still bothering me then, I''ll be able to afford an Autumn Vintage. It''s tough to do a reset with a bezel, I know, but... I''m sure I can find a workaround.
12.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh it''s beautiful! Congrats on your upcoming book!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a gorgeous set. Congratulations on your book coming out!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Those are beautiful and unique rings!

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
I happened to be visiting GLJW last Saturday, and when my bf and I walked in, one of the first things I saw was a large picture of your set with a #8 on it (next to some pictures of other rings). I know they have in-house design contests, and it looks like yours made it! My bf thought I was nuts, I think, because I got so excited that the rings belonged to a PSer. :)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS rings, and congratulations on your book deal - what an amazing accomplishment, and a wonderful way to celebrate it
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results