shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Lake Jewelers - Nerd Ring/Wedding Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
This spring I signed my first book deal, with publication to come in March 2010, two months before my wedding in May 2010... so, naturally, what better way is there for a jewelry nerd to celebrate two such momentous occasions than by splurging on a bunch of custom projects?
2.gif

I spent a chunk of the advance money on a Nerd Ring and wedding band set, since my e-ring has a very low bezel that would require a curved wedding band to go with it, and I wanted a straight band. I also wanted an ideal-cut modern round brilliant -- my e-ring has an Old European cut, which I love first and foremost among all diamond cuts (and a part of me wishes I''d gotten another OEC for this, too), but I wanted to try out a different diamond shape.

My personal sweet spot in diamond colors is from I to M. I prefer warm whites to icy ones (my usual joke is that since I am a half-yellow person, I like half-yellow stones). So I ended up with an EGL-certed J that is more like a K/L, 2.01 carats, eyeclean SI1 ideal cut round brilliant.

The diamond is from a local B&M store here in Philly. I love the diamond but I do not like that store; one of the main guys there is a dishonest person (not on this deal, but on two subsequent transactions he tried to rip me off) and I will not do any more business with them or recommend them to anyone else.

Here it is showing its tint:

PSLND004Nov09.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
For this project I contacted several local jewelers and a couple of PS recommended custom jewelers. I ended up going with Green Lake Jewelers in Seattle because I wanted to have a lot of engraving on these rings and Green Lake had the most examples of engraving in its showcase, plus their gallery just seemed to have the right "feel" to me. Their quote was among the higher ones I got, but I feel that the money was well spent because the quality is just superb.

I worked with Shelly at Green Lake. She was incredibly nice, helpful, and did a beautiful job of translating my inarticulate ramblings into exactly the perfect rings. I''d recommend her and Green Lake to anyone; Shelly did a spectacular job on my slightly eccentric project and I would be thrilled to work with Green Lake again in the future.

Here are the waxes (edited a little to get under the photo size limit). The arrow shows where the mounting is notched on one side so the band can sit flush against it. I went with a thorn motif for several reasons, but one of the biggies is that I am a prickly person and being married to me is no easy task... so I wanted to signify that too.
11.gif

PSLNerdRingWBandWaxes01.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
And here are the final rings. They''re in 18K unplated white gold (I like the look of unplated WG and think it goes well with warm white diamonds -- plus it''s a little bit unusual and, again!, half-yellow like me). 4 tiny diamonds set in the cup under the bezel, 8 bezel-set diamonds scattered around each band (16 total for 0.36 ctw between the two rings).

These rings are much heavier than my e-ring -- actually the waxes were too tight because I gave my ring size as 5.5, which is accurate for all my other rings, but since these bands are 4mm each it turned out that I needed a slightly larger size for the wider bands -- but somehow they are incredibly comfortable and perfectly balanced, and Shelly magically made the rings fit exactly after I told her the waxes were too tight. No spinning, pinching, nothing. I could (and will!) wear them all day.

PSLNerdRing01a.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
The rings at home in my hands. No handshots yet since I don''t get to wear the wedding band for another six months. I might cheat a little at home, but if there''s no photographic evidence, it never happened...

PSLGLNWB005.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
And that''s that.
1.gif

It was a wonderful experience and I cannot recommend Shelly or Green Lake Jewelers highly enough. I will definitely work with them again if I ever get the chance.

PSLNerdRing03a.JPG

audball

Ideal_Rock
Beautifully unique! Congratulations!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am SPEECHLESS. If this is the sort of thing your imagination holds, I can''t wait to read your books!

These are really beautiful. I hope you''ll post more pictures.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning Diamond and Setting! I love their work!.... I am in love with the unplated white gold....hmmmmmm
27.gif
I don't like white gold againts my skin too much and sometimes yellow gold is too much yellow gold ya know?! but this unplated white gold look....I just lovvvveeee
30.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS set!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a beautiful set, my new favorite on PS! I can''t wait to see hand shots! Do you sneak and stare at it every chance you get? I sure would...

Thanks for sharing!

marym

Shiny_Rock
Oh, this set is one of my all time favorites on PS now, too! Absolutely exquisite! I love thicker bands, and the unplated gold is wonderful. And that diamond is amazing too! Well done!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I really like your set. Everything just flows perfectly!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Your set is gorgeous and unique!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on all accounts-everything exciting! your rings are beautiful! I love everything about them. Do
we get to know the title of your book so we can read it?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful set.

Guess I should drive down and talk to Greenlake jewelers for my next project!
1.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE this! What a GORGEOUS stone and setting--I am so impressed with Green Lake Jewelers work. I cannot wait to see hand shots. Congratulations, on your book and on this beauty!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really really cool set! Congratulations on your creativity! (the book and the rings!)

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! You''re too kind.
5.gif

Really the credit should go to Shelly who did the design. My input was basically limited to going "yay! perfect!!"

luv2sparkle -- I don''t know what forum rules are on that; I know there are other PS''ers who have written books and have been hesitant about giving out the titles (and others who have been more forthcoming). I''ll hem and haw and maybe make a decision closer to release date. It''s a straightforward sword-swingin'' fantasy so I''m not sure how many people here would be interested in it anyway. But I do very much appreciate the interest, thanks!

MC -- yes, yes you definitely should. Not that I''m enabling, but... okay, I''m enabling. But it''s so worth it!
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember your Nerd Diamond thread and I loved the story! The Nerd Rings turned out beautifully! Wow! And I would love to see some more pictures of that beauty when you get the chance!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH, wow! Now that''s one HECK of a Nerd Set!!!! Congratulations on the book deal, and many congrats on the gorgeous set you''ve had made! It''s whimsically lovely!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE IT! It''s very unique and the colors compliment each other so well. I''ve been wondering if my EGL K (which is really closer to L) might look nicer in yelllow or unplated white gold, too.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on everything! You''ve been busy!! And your new e-ring and w-band is unique and beautiful! I can''t wait to see handshots!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I consulted with them and I regret not going with it - at the time I thought it was too expensive and out of budget but I ended up paying 1/3 more and not being happy. lesson learned! GLJ wants their people to be happy and you have every right to be thrilled with that set! Congrats :)

so... about those *other* projects.... ???

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome rings!

I'm in Philly too (I think you know that already..). You have a great collection, and I can't wait to see your pendant from Sally when that's done. Hope you can make it to the Philly GTG in January! I wanna see all your cool stuff in person!

I'm also a huge nerd myself. I really liked Legend of the Seeker (but couldn't bring myself to watch the TV show since I'm sure it's nothing at all like the books), and all things sci-fi/fantasy-ish.

Congrats on the book deal! That's really exciting!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous set!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, how beautiful! I saw a post of yours in a different thread and saw your avatar and was like, "Wow, I need more details on that!" Lo and behold, you just posted it today! It''s absolutely beautiful and a definite inspiration to me. Looking forward to the day when you can post handshots!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the rings and the book! Those are just gorgeous!
30.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
What a unique ring, it is so beautiful
30.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Just beautiful .I wish I had that kind of creative imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results