shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Green garnet, Red & Pink spinels, Pink tourmaline and more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Green garnet, Red & Pink spinels, Pink tourmaline and mo

Greg,
My little cuprian is a wannabe that aspires to look like your true blue Paraiba. I am sure it doesn't even come close to yours but thank you.

Alice,
The flower setting is made by LOGR but my jeweller modified it to fit a rectangular stone. This setting was purchased many years ago when their setting quality was still surprisingly high. Unfortunately, LOGR's settings seem more flimsy these days with questionable melee. I had upgraded mine to much higher clarity and colour.

Freke,
You are frighteningly good! The pear is a colour change garnet from Bekily, Madagascar. 1.11 ct measuring 6.9 x 5.2 x 4.3 mm so it is a deep little thing. GB/BG 6/3 and PR/RP 5/4. I made the mistake of bezeling it in white gold and the stone just died on me. I never wore it, so finally recycled the setting and have no idea what to do with the cc garnet now. I'll post more tonight. Real life calls. :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I try. Or maybe I'm just stalking old threads. Or something. I'm usually not that good at gem guessing games, so I'm kind of surprising myself! The picture names are definitely helping though!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Freke,
In that case, the filenames on these are freebies. ;)) Since it's going to be super easy, if you can guess the lapidary, you'll get imaginary bonus points that are absolutely good for nothing. :lol: As usual, less blue and more green than shown. It sometimes get a touch darker in the picture from my camera obstruction.

cz1.jpg

cz2.jpg

cz3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As usual, hand shots are very accurate, colour-wise.

cz4.jpg

cz5.jpg

cz6.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Richard Homer? Gene?

alice87

Shiny_Rock

Thank you!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1369457118|3453488 said:
Richard Homer? Gene?

+1 or Gary Braun

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alice87|1369464165|3453507 said:
Thank you!
Alice,
I'd be happy if you started a green garnet thread and I'm sure others would too. As Freke said, there are many who love green stones, garnets and both. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh......Minou has joined Freke in the guessing game. I didn't know Gary did concave cuts. Does he? Well, Freke "wins" again. It is a 2.74 ct Richard Homer faceted zircon. I would guess Cambodian origin and it measures 7 x 7 mm.

Here's the last one of this second group. Less blue than shown, more green than shown.

_6635.jpg

_6636.jpg

_6637.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is why I love hand shots - it shows far more accurate colours, at least for me. Sure, it can still be altered but I'm no savvy enough. :lol:

_6638.jpg

_6639.jpg

aa6.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For someone who doesn't like concave cuts, that is one amazeballs zircon! Love it. :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aqua?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Minou,
I surprised myself with that zircon too. One thing I did notice is that not all concave cuts are cut well. It does vary in quality. As you can see, the concave cut pear stone isn't cut as spectacularly as the zircon. Still, I don't think I'll buy another concave cut stone. I think it is very pretty but it's just not me.

Freke,
Awesome guess. 2.59 ct aquamarine, likely to be heated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

These were a huge PITA to photograph. I managed to finish photographing ALL my blue stones and it seems progressively more difficult to capture their true colours accurately, even when on the hand. I don't know why but it is disheartening to see such beautiful colours IRL yet some sort of dullish colour on the iPhone camera.

These are easy-peasy.

blue_group_3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of my favourite earrings. Sorry, no ear shots though. There are a total of 4 cabochons and 2 bezeled faceted stones, all blue.

blue_earrings_1.jpg

blue_earrings_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I typically don't like to use a black or dark background but this is the only way to show the other colours of the cabochon. They are predominantly blue but also show some orange at times.

blue_earrings_3.jpg

blue_earrings_4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I remember these! Moonstone, obvs, but I can't remember the middle stones. Barry, right?

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

I love this stone! What is it? The rectangle one

alice87

Shiny_Rock

Chrono, thank you, but not thank you! it was useful to clarify some info.
As for stone guessing, is the blue one apatite? There are other options too, although it is this bright amazing color.

_6656.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1369629864|3454299 said:
I remember these! Moonstone, obvs, but I can't remember the middle stones. Barry, right?

Yes, definitely "rainbow" moonstones. The little ones are blue topaz. I did purchase them from ACS but this was during Barbara's time, not Barry. Cut and set by Ben Kho. Little inexpensive earrings that are pretty for everyday wear.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gem Queen|1369630507|3454300 said:
I love this stone! What is it? The rectangle one

Which one? I have two. The smaller one is a 0.56 ct copper bearing tourmaline whilst the larger one is a 1.49 ct "regular" tourmaline from Afghanistan.

dan_stair_0.jpg

barry_bridgestock_tourmaline.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alice87|1369661979|3454398 said:
Chrono, thank you, but not thank you! it was useful to clarify some info.
As for stone guessing, is the blue one apatite? There are other options too, although it is this bright amazing color.

Alice,
You appear to have a very interesting background. I hope you'll continue to participate and share your opinion and knowledge. I know guessing games are unfair but it's all for fun. The cushion blue posted is a 2.74 ct blue zircon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was ready to pull my hair out with this one. It gave me fits bad enough to consider quitting. It sometimes looks overblue or washed out, never capturing the colours within it accurately.

rmlb1.jpg

rmlb2.jpg

rmlb3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Although I've never taken pictures of this stone before, I think it should be easy to guess. Sadly, the stone is so much prettier in person. The picture with the black background comes the closest to capturing what I see in person.

rmlb4.jpg

rmlb5.jpg

rmlb6.jpg

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

If you ever want to sell that B.B. Tourmaline on diamond bistro or Loupe Troop, contact me, please. Love it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You'll have to fight Freke for that one, I think. :bigsmile: I do like it a lot. I might consider selling off one of my smaller blue spinels though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1369673350|3454500 said:
You'll have to fight Freke for that one, I think. :bigsmile: I do like it a lot. I might consider selling off one of my smaller blue spinels though.
You know spinels have my heart. What is this talk about selling off one of them?!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

No idea on this latest oval...

Didn't you buy the moonstone earrings when Barbara was passing the store off to Barry? I can't remember exactly....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I purchased a bezeled moonstone pair but returned them because it had an inclusion I could see in one of them, so when this pair was offered, I jumped on it. I'm not sure when I purchased it though. As for the spinel, this one is really too small. I see it as a stacker size which I don't do stackers. I don't have enough finger length for it, having short stumpy digits. Not only that, I think bezeling it would be a mistake since it is on the dark side. Prong set, it'll be quite a flashy stone with the precision cutting. The second might be a harder sell. It has quite a bit of extinction but when it decides to be blue, it can be nice. The off symmetry is likely to put off potential buyers though. These two are my early learner stones.

Oh, the new oval! Almost forgot about it. It's a faceted rainbow moonstone of African origin. 3.3 ct measuring 11.2 x 9.4 mm. I think it would make an interesting pendant as it's a bit too large for a ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Final group of unset blues. I spent all weekend photographing these and was ready to throw in the towel. These guys are so shifty and my camera does not see what I see. I came close on a few so I kept those pictures but I think 2/3 were not usable. Even these 2 pictures are not accurate but I like them because they show the faceting well.

blue_group_4.jpg

blue_group_4a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results