shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray is the new blonde?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, one way to avoid the striped skunk is to have no part aka all pulled back pony tail or bun, just not too tightly?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, one way to avoid the striped skunk is to have no part aka all pulled back pony tail or bun, just not too tightly?

Yes this does help. I wear my hair back and it helps disguise the roots somewhat.

31474967-384D-46F4-8B6A-F622A15D3BD5.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Booked my next hair cut appointment for 20 May 2020, hopefully, the lockdown will be lifted by then!

DK :))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well that’s one way ;)2
A good friend of mine, (all the way back to grade school) mom had dark, dark hair with a white ‘skunk’ stripe in front. She was gorgeous! She lived into her 90s with the same very dark hair and this amazing white stripe in front. I always thought she looked so glam! Very striking!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

A fine zig zag part can disguise the early stages of skunk stripe too. Not the big 90's zig zag...that won't help. ;))

@missy I love your hair. With textured hair there seems to be many more options. With fine limp hair if I ever dare try a pony or bun I just look like an old librarian or I have to tease it to death to get even a bobby pin to stick. It is all flat stuck to my head without any volume or texture. After a couple decades my hair and I have learned to get along. I just don't expect too much.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a Polgara stripe since my early twenties. Never liked it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm about ten per cent gray. So I'm still dyeing it. I love white hair and pale gray hair, but on me, dark gray doesn't look good with my coloring. When I'm gray enough to transition to a light gray/white, I plan to go blonder, and then just keep gradually going blonder and blonder until it gradually fades into white blonde/light gray/white.

I think a number of older ladies did it this way when I was a child. Because from looking back at photographs, I'd notice that they went from brown to blonde to white over the years, but in real time, I hadn't noticed at all!

The gray/white hair in this thread looks beautiful.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My hair from the back.

20200223_123112.jpg

It is still quite dark in the front, and I wish it would go completely grey faster!

DK :))

I think your hair looks Great!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Speaking of hair- my niece just went purple.

LOL that expression.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 8.39.20 AM.png

Times have changed. When I was her age no way would my mom and dad let me color it!

She looks like my cousin’s daughter, Julia . Fantastic!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be 63 soon and have never colored or highlighted my hair. Have a few grays now. Don't know if I will ever dye my hair. fullsizeoutput_20be.jpeg

Gorgeous. Your hair is beautiful.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be 63 soon and have never colored or highlighted my hair. Have a few grays now. Don't know if I will ever dye my hair. fullsizeoutput_20be.jpeg

You have beautiful hair! My natural color was the same, but unfortunately didn't stay that way for even half as long.

My husband's aunt did not have any gray until late her late 60s and then only at the temples. One day I told her how lucky she was to have such beautiful hair that's never been dyed, unlike mine. She was perplexed - "You dye your hair? Why? What's your natural color?" She couldn't believe someone as young as me (I was in my 30s at the time) had gray hair!

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
You have beautiful hair! My natural color was the same, but unfortunately didn't stay that way for even half as long.

My husband's aunt did not have any gray until late her late 60s and then only at the temples. One day I told her how lucky she was to have such beautiful hair that's never been dyed, unlike mine. She was perplexed - "You dye your hair? Why? What's your natural color?" She couldn't believe someone as young as me (I was in my 30s at the time) had gray hair!

Thank you Maria! That's a funny story about your aunt!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really know what color my hair is, lol, but I am finding out! Mouse brown mixed with gray. I am much too scared to try anything by myself since I get highlights, lowlights, and a base break. Good thing I am out in the woods until things reopen!

20200423_181547.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really know what color my hair is, lol, but I am finding out! Mouse brown mixed with gray. I am much too scared to try anything by myself since I get highlights, lowlights, and a base break. Good thing I am out in the woods until things reopen!

20200423_181547.jpg

Your hair is beautiful!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gray is not the "new blond".

When we get old, we look old.
Then, we die.

It is natural.
I think those who died young would give anything to have our gray hair, and our years.

Last edited:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gray is not the "new blond".

When we get old, we look old.
Then, we die.

It is natural.
I think those who died young would give anything to have our gray hair, and our years.

Many people get gray hair long before they are or look old. With women, that fact is not obvious because covering up grays is easy and cheap - and therefore prevalent. So prevalent that if a younger gray haired woman doesn't do it, many believe she is "letting herself go." (It used to be a different story with men, but that is changing.)

As for blondes - naturally light blonde hair rarely exists past the age of puberty. Adults of all hair-colorings dye their hair blonde to get a look that doesn't exist naturally for adults.

Recently, it has become fashionable for women to dye their hair gray whether or not they have any natural gray. This is the same phenomenon of coloring your hair blonde when it isn't naturally blonde, which for adults is virtually always the case.

Hence the phrase "Gray is the New Blonde." It's about choosing to have your hair be any color you want and choosing gray instead of blonde. It isn't about youth. Haircolor will not make your face look youthful. In fact, sometimes it has the exact opposite effect. As a person ages, their skin tones change and the hair color of their youth can make them look older than their new natural color does.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
As for blondes - naturally light blonde hair rarely exists past the age of puberty.

And the two women I have known who remained naturally light blonde as they aged both had very pale skin, light blue eyes and straight thin hair. They both went gray so naturally and gradually it was difficult to tell if their hair was still completely blonde or not.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And the two women I have known who remained naturally light blonde as they aged both had very pale skin, light blue eyes and straight thin hair. They both went gray so naturally and gradually it was difficult to tell if their hair was still completely blonde or not.

You can add me to the list who stayed light blonde except my eyes are brown. :) The one annoying feature I have is when I hit my late 30's I developed two darker dirty blonde patches at the front of my head. It looks as if I have low-lights if I don't have the front coloured. I keep waiting for that area to turn silver but it doesn't seem to want to. Right next to it I have a chunky silver streak that is shiny and a beautiful colour.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
@Poodles4me
I'm not sure I've ever known anyone with naturally light blonde hair and brown eyes. The combination must be quite striking! Isn't it funny how different sections of our hair change color so differently. The shiny silver streak sounds gorgeous, I would love one of those.
My deep reddish brown haircolor turned very ashy in my 50's and is not very complimentary with my pink skintone. When I started using a henna rinse to add back some warmth and color people told me I looked 5-10 years younger.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I will be 63 soon and have never colored or highlighted my hair. Have a few grays now. Don't know if I will ever dye my hair.

I doubt many of us would color our hair if it looked as good as yours does at 63! And I have to admit that I am a bit jealous, ok maybe a lot jealous, of your eyebrows! Clearly you did not overpluck like I did for way too many years. :doh:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@BMI
When I was a baby/young child I had white blonde hair and the palest of fair skin. My parents had strangers stop them all the time and comment on the unusual combination of blonde hair and brown eyes (lol). As I got older my hair turned golden blonde like Malibu Barbie but I still had the fairest skintone. I longed for freckles like my dad just so I would have colour in my face. My hair started to turn more of a wheat colour in my mid 30's/early 40's along with the ugly side strips. I too went more ashy in my 50's. My new hairdresser's specialty is blonde so she's able to highlight and blend without making my hair look fake. We try to keep the silver if possible. Lightening those patches at the front sure makes a difference on how I look and feel.

Reactions: BMI

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
I doubt many of us would color our hair if it looked as good as yours does at 63! And I have to admit that I am a bit jealous, ok maybe a lot jealous, of your eyebrows! Clearly you did not overpluck like I did for way too many years. :doh:

Thank you BMI. The first time I had them tweezed was in my 40s. And I rarely need to tweeze them. They use to be fuller and darker though!

Reactions: BMI
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results