shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray is the new blonde?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is like @missy's curly and sprinkled, though hers is darker. It will never be the lovely all over gray some of you have which I have resigned myself to accepting. It likely won't even be a nice salt and pepper like Missy's. I decided last year to stop coloring and just let it be but I need to get the last of the color cut off sometime soon.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I quit coloring my hair about 5 years ago. Had been coloring since i was about 18. So much happier with the color and no upkeep which is a win win for me. More $$$ for sparklies! :) And get way more compliments on the gray than any of the other colors it has been in the past!

1583770121232.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to Instagram and follow Jack Martin Colorist. It’s amazing. I think the key is he does lowlights too, so it’s not all grey. It’s salt and pepper.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taylorbug, your hair is *beautiful*!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband was told he doesn't "look" 60 recently. I asked if he thought I looked young for my age. He said "You would if you dyed your hair dark again." :???: Maybe that's a male perception, because women I know can see through the grey and notice my lack of wrinkles, etc. I think?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to Instagram and follow Jack Martin Colorist. It’s amazing. I think the key is he does lowlights too, so it’s not all grey. It’s salt and pepper.

Oh my gosh , these transformations are amazing! Gorgeous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quit coloring my hair about 5 years ago. Had been coloring since i was about 18. So much happier with the color and no upkeep which is a win win for me. More $$$ for sparklies! :) And get way more compliments on the gray than any of the other colors it has been in the past!

1583770121232.png

Gorgeous. :love:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Ach. I’m with you all on the upkeep thing. I stopped dyeing my hair 14 years ago when I was pregnant because I wasn’t cool with the chemicals. Instead, I started using henna which I love...it thickens my hair, great color and conditioning. But now I’m too the point where 8 weeks out and I’m a mess. I’m barely in my 40s but as soon as my hair grows (and it grows fast!) I have roots that are an unflattering washed out mousey brown, which was never my original color, with pure white strands in it. What’s a girl to do? I’m so busy I usually end up letting it go waaaaaay too long. But washed out mouse grey brown? Am I too young to think about going au naturale?
First pic is with freshly done henna. Second is 8 weeks post-henna.
BCDA143C-CDB2-4F67-82A9-727359637C38.jpeg B45DA90B-F3B3-4B93-A3E6-0F7B8E76B623.jpeg

mrgrtt123

Rough_Rock
I agree, it looks really nice nowadays to have gray hair.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread.
Who knew that the Stay In Place order would bring about a hair epiphany for me. I have 9 weeks of root growth and I quite like my silver threads! @Matata your thread about your hair color transformation has inspired me. As soon as it’s safe to do so, my colorist will help me transition and embrace my natural color. I’m ready to be myself!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread.
Who knew that the Stay In Place order would bring about a hair epiphany for me. I have 9 weeks of root growth and I quite like my silver threads! @Matata your thread about your hair color transformation has inspired me. As soon as it’s safe to do so, my colorist will help me transition and embrace my natural color. I’m ready to be myself!

Indeed, who knew?!

I'm now at 11 weeks since last root dye and have decided to just let it grow out. I've talked to my hair stylist about what a transition dye process would entail and have decided against it for my hair.

The demarcation line was very obvious even before school was shut down. I was amazed that no one at school, neither colleagues nor students, paid any attention to it. I actually felt less self-conscious once I got to a 3/4 inch strip than I did when just 1/4 inch poked through. It looked deliberate as opposed to looking like scalp showing through thinning hair.

Now with stay-at-home, my frosty top is only seen in Zoom meetings. Outdoors I still wear hats as it's still a bit chilly here in Maine. I'm embracing it as well although I am a bit wistful for not stopping (dyeing) sooner. I feel like I'll never know what I would have looked like with gray hair; it seems I'm going straight to silver-white.
11 weeks.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed, who knew?!

I'm now at 11 weeks since last root dye and have decided to just let it grow out. I've talked to my hair stylist about what a transition dye process would entail and have decided against it for my hair.

The demarcation line was very obvious even before school was shut down. I was amazed that no one at school, neither colleagues nor students, paid any attention to it. I actually felt less self-conscious once I got to a 3/4 inch strip than I did when just 1/4 inch poked through. It looked deliberate as opposed to looking like scalp showing through thinning hair.

Now with stay-at-home, my frosty top is only seen in Zoom meetings. Outdoors I still wear hats as it's still a bit chilly here in Maine. I'm embracing it as well although I am a bit wistful for not stopping (dyeing) sooner. I feel like I'll never know what I would have looked like with gray hair; it seems I'm going straight to silver-white.
11 weeks.jpg

Gorgeous, and yeah I have more than ‘threads’ :lol: We’re in this together too!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @Bonfire and @Maria D. Welcome to the white side and enjoy the freedom.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I stopped coloring several years ago. I had only used demi-permanant color and when I started with a lighter shade than my own hair the grays just looked like highlights. Then the years marched on and it started to look more monotone and eventually the grays were too many. The demi wasn't doing the job any more. I was coloring every 2 weeks and the color had gotten fairly dark. :shock: My stylist gave me a couple options..use permanent color and then highlight. This would be a time and money investment that I previously avoided by using the demi at home. Plus it would be more damaging to my hair. She did NOT want me to go grey. I went to 3 other salons in town and one of them actually laughed and said I would look old. Well OK.
I ended up at a salon 2 hours away...they did 50% all over baby-lights to lighten the overall color. In a few months they did it again focusing on the areas that were coming in more silver and blending with the various shades of my natural color. They toned it that time also. After that I only needed toner to finish growing it out. My daughter got married in the middle of my growing out and it was all fine. People who didn't know me didn't realize at all but of course friends and family could see the change.
Now I get soooo many compliments on my hair....it's weird! I would say at least once a week (when I was allowed out of the house, lol) someone would stop me. I have had much younger women ask who was putting the pretty silver streaks in my hair. My teenage niece did not believe it wasn't done in a salon. Who knew...at 40+ I'm finally trendy, lol.
Honestly I still get a shock when I look in the mirror sometimes but I would not go back to coloring now.

For those of you considering it....you can try it for a while and see what you think. I used root cover-up spray for a few months until the first lightening when I felt like I was really committed. But at any point in the process you can go back to coloring. ;))

ETA- I do have a friend who went cold turkey with no lightening or toning during the transition. Her hair was short so it didn't take as long but the old color got very orange as it faded. I just couldn't do it that way but she did and now her hair looks fantastic as well. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone trying that route...a toner might be something to look into at some point if the old color isn't hanging in very well but you don't want to take more drastic steps to blend/lighten.

Last edited:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed, who knew?!

11 weeks.jpg

@Maria D It looks to be a lovely shade of silver-white. I hope you continue to have a good transition. I have two friends that just stopped coloring and both were not pretty transitions. I planned to embrace my salt and pepper later this year, but planned to go to a colorist to blend the new growth/faded color with my darker colored hair. The stay at home order has thwarted my plan and I am starting early cold-turkey.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock

@whitewave This is the colorist I planned to make my appointment with later this year. Not sure if it will work out now. I agree with you, he is amazing!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how mine usually looks from the back after the hairdresser, I currently have a big grey patch on my crown and the skunk stripe landing strip straight down the middle. I wish I could go grey too but over 65 to 70% of mine is still a dark brown so it just looks weird at the moment rather than good I've begged my hairdresser to bleach it all and she says it will damage far too much of my hair (I have really thick dry brittle hair anyway);

65096285_667462557060320_5888599324744482816_o.jpg 45076643_533304907142753_717034997541765120_o.jpg

Last edited:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
No way!!!! I’m so jealous! I would love to have Jack Martin work his magic on my hair!

I have been looking at his transformations since last summer. I see that he recently did Jane Fonda and Sharon Osborn's hair. He is only 11 miles from me.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maria D Go girl! This is the most PERFECT time to try this & see how you feel. And what a glorious silver it is - very foxy!

I wish I'd seen this update a couple of days ago, as I did my roots on Sunday after leaving them way more than I ordinarily would - 10 weeks instead of 6. I could have posted a picture for you. I have to admit I was tempted to leave it, but it started getting to me.

Interested to follow your journey, so please post updates!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
My last color was 5 months ago. It's coming in at 50%. I'm retired so no pressure to keep coloring. For those hesitant because of the skunk stripe, I saw a video on YouTube. The poster colored her part and then her natural hair grew out, she switched her part to the other side and let the dyed hair grow out.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking of cutting my hair much shorter and just keep growing the skunk stripe out until the greys are the same length as the rest and then either get it done so it's intentionally marbled grey and dark brown all through it or dye the grey parts blue or something unusual....

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t consider it for one second but the fastest, cheapest way to get rid of old color is to shave your head. o_O I watched some videos like that and some where they grew out the roots as long as they could stand it and then got a super short pixie cut.
If my hair looked good that short I’d have done that!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I'd best start shaving now since I expect another month before we are allowed out? One month equals 1/2 inch of growth and I'll tell people it's my buzz cut. :lol:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Maria D It looks to be a lovely shade of silver-white. I hope you continue to have a good transition. I have two friends that just stopped coloring and both were not pretty transitions. I planned to embrace my salt and pepper later this year, but planned to go to a colorist to blend the new growth/faded color with my darker colored hair. The stay at home order has thwarted my plan and I am starting early cold-turkey.

Besides COVID & stay-at-home orders, what makes transitioning easier for me is my work & living environment: high school in Maine. I would not have considered doing a cold-turkey grow-out in my corporate days in a major city! But where I live and work now, it's common for people to not be as particular about appearance. (An assistant principal at my school routinely shows up in sweatpants and hair in a messy bun, no make-up.) Unless my daughter surprises us all with a wedding announcement, I'm going to keep letting it grow out for now and get it cut shorter when I can finally get my haircut.

@arkieb1 , your hair is gorgeous! I was not ready to go gray with 65-70% of my natural hair color still intact which I think would have been mid-30s for me. I wish I *had* been ready back then; I'm finding gray hair with a still young face to be quite becoming - and now I will never have either! :lol: My hair dresser says the same thing about transitioning my hair chemically - that the bleaching process will fry it.

@Alex T , I don't blame you - I actually didn't mind the process back when I could touch-up every 6 weeks or so. We're lucky to have choices.

@NonieMarie , I saw a video like that! That looks like it could work well if hair is thick enough and fairly straight. The curly locks in the back of my head expose the roots even without a part.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 your hair is beautiful ❤️

I didn’t consider it for one second but the fastest, cheapest way to get rid of old color is to shave your head. o_O I watched some videos like that and some where they grew out the roots as long as they could stand it and then got a super short pixie cut.
If my hair looked good that short I’d have done that!

I am so tempted to shave my head. But I don’t have the face for it sadly. If I had to I’d make the best of it but I wouldn’t look good. Some women really rock it and look amazing with a bald or shaved head. ❤

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed, who knew?!

11 weeks.jpg

Love it. Snow White. Beautiful. My hair is a dirty gray. I’d love to have such a pure white. ❤️

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@missy I don’t have the face for shorn or short hair either, nor is my hair right for it...fine, thick and straight, doesn’t like to curl or hold a style. The growing out would have been a disaster.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I don’t have the face for shorn or short hair either, nor is my hair right for it...fine, thick and straight, doesn’t like to curl or hold a style. The growing out would have been a disaster.

I’ll trade you. My hair is terribly thin and fine and salt and pepper frizzy curly. IOW a wreck. Lol. I’m lucky my friends and family love me despite my appearance. And that was before Covid 19. :P2

Just to add the reason I don’t want to cut it short is my go to hairstyle is a pony tail. Though I know that’s not really a style. It’s my go to. Easy peasy no maintenance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results