shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray diamond anyone?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone with experience with fancy gray diamonds? I’m curious how obvious the color is in hand given that diamonds often look “steely” at times anyways.

The gothy kid in me loves the idea of a gorgeous well cut gray and moody diamond and I have such a crush on this one.

What color metal would best play up the gray?

9B604D13-E624-40FB-B991-4C39811942C2.jpeg DFE6E766-482E-4CF8-BB9F-35397606D9C8.jpeg C7AAE898-FD35-476B-87F2-53747A2AD802.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it’s beautiful @MakingTheGrade. I think a white metal would be beautiful..I personally like 18k white gold because it’s shinier and brighter...and I’m a magpie..Platinum dulls and gets a gray tone which would blend with the stone instead of letting it pop.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have no clue what metal would be best-
But I’d love to see something like that IRL :love:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thats so beatiful, esp. in the second photo. I second a white metal, but as i prefer platinum, i would personally do that. I need to see this stone set tho!!!! :kiss2:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unplated white gold! Lovely!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
They are often cloudy which makes them drab. I do not see a mention of 'clouds' on this report & still, who knows - I do not know if what I see in the video will matter IRL, then, what can you ask of a large fancy gray.

[Off the cuff: this looks violetish to me www, obviously was not tinted enough for GIA to call it www; the only IF Deep Gray I know of was also slightly tinted violet. Noticing an unwarranted tint in both videos ,( - BN experiments & their little edits cry out loud! I wonder if cold violet or blue tint has something to do with clarity in the darker gray diamonds as the named large clarity items might & never remember this when I have he time to read enough; there are exceptions for sure, grays with no visible tint & I'd say that macro photography or video sees more color than I do, also many more diamonds, of course.]

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I, too, like the RG idea! Really cool stone. Will definitely be an attention-getter as people are just not familiar.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fantastic!

So I have a snake ring and the blackening if the rhodium seems to rub off pretty fast with wear. :(

Does David klass have a more permanent black metal option?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think blackened rhodium would look amazing but yes, it's going to need maintenance. I'd love to see some black diamond halos around it in plated white gold and the band in un-plated white.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
So I have a snake ring and the blackening if the rhodium seems to rub off pretty fast with wear. :(

Does David klass have a more permanent black metal option?

Actually I am working on a project with DK and want a gray metal. They can do a grayer platinum (what I ended up choosing because I like the weight of platinum) or a “gray” white gold. The gray gold is not black, but a dark steel gray color; it’s an alloyed gold (not plated).

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I am working on a project with DK and want a gray metal. They can do a grayer platinum (what I ended up choosing because I like the weight of platinum) or a “gray” white gold. The gray gold is not black, but a dark steel gray color; it’s an alloyed gold (not plated).

Oooo can’t wait to see your project!

Reactions: AV_

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a grey gold band on my rolling ring. I tried to get a photo for you, @MakingTheGrade , but the camera isn't capturing the color well. it's a warm grey white gold if that makes sense. it's obvious next to a whiter metal but not so obvious on its own. very pretty metal color but not a cool grey. it's not from dkj so the alloy may be different but i would guess all unplated white gold will have some warmth.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me want a gray diamond. Either platinum or rose gold would look amazing!

Haha yeah I’ve been trying to find good photos and videos of fancy gray diamonds of this size but it’s hard since they aren’t common.

On the upside all this research is great distraction from waiting to hear back on some news that will inform where I spend the next 4 years of my life!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yeah I’ve been trying to find good photos and videos of fancy gray diamonds of this size but it’s hard since they aren’t common.

On the upside all this research is great distraction from waiting to hear back on some news that will inform where I spend the next 4 years of my life!

Omg good luck on the match!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My other half's son's partner's son (too old to be considered a step grandchild but still a member of the extended family) just got engaged and brought a grey diamond
Sue (let's just call her Gary's DIL) says its lovelly and unusual- i never thought to ask what colour metal :doh:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4B9245A3-869C-42EE-BD28-E0384E39E127.jpeg

Darker, but still a comparison?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg good luck on the match!

Haha it’s not even the match which I would actually prefer cause then there would be a set day! My partner decided he wants to go back to school and is applying to med school so I’ve been selling off most of my bling to add to tuition so this gray diamond isn’t happening anytime soon unless the financial aid package is good (which is totally a possibility in which case this baby will be mine immediately. Lol). He is accepted to local places but his first choice is out of state and we might not hear back until mid March. And then if we are waitlisted, more waiting. Ugh.

So yeah. I hate waiting so my coping is plotting out my next dream project lol. And this diamond has me swooning just because it’s so different and so well cut for a fancy color diamond. I’m a colored stone girl at heart..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the idea of another convertible pendant that can be worn as a bracelet charm and a pin.

Something like this but I’m wondering if I make the “pin” a thicker metal piece that tapers like a triangle if it can also function like a slide on a bracelet ...

Hehe jewelry daydream is such a great distraction!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The gothy kid in me loves the idea of a gorgeous well cut gray and moody diamond and I have such a crush on this one.

9B604D13-E624-40FB-B991-4C39811942C2.jpeg DFE6E766-482E-4CF8-BB9F-35397606D9C8.jpeg C7AAE898-FD35-476B-87F2-53747A2AD802.jpeg
Hi Goth Kid :)
Save some money and get a more moody diamond.
Find a diamond with Very Strong Blue and grading based on clouds not shown.
It can be very clear and sparkly in low light and LED only lighting.
It will be hazy grey in most bright lighting and when there is any sort of bright window light nearby.
And it will glow whitesh blue in daylight.
It might cost half as much as a fancy grey.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Goth Kid :)
Save some money and get a more moody diamond.
Find a diamond with Very Strong Blue and grading based on clouds not shown.
It can be very clear and sparkly in low light and LED only lighting.
It will be hazy grey in most bright lighting and when there is any sort of bright window light nearby.
And it will glow whitesh blue in daylight.
It might cost half as much as a fancy grey.

Oy. How does one even search for this using filters? :p

This particular gray is 17k. Not sure I’d find much more of a competitive price for a well cut 3ct round.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut)
@MakingTheGrade

THAT is my dream diamond, should the clouds be white - but, of course white clouds are also shading, so there be gray; the extra scatterig seems to play up the strongest fluorescence into a miracle of luminous blue mist .) Love what you love!

I am seeing them on the lists priced as if they were crystal clear - not sure if this means that the world is seeing the beauty I have been drawn to all along ,(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results