shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff , Tiffiny or Harry Winston

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Was wondering which one of these you would consider a good buy, or which one you would rather prefer:

1. Harry Winston E VS1 1.51 round stone, set with their custom setting claw prongs with 2 baggettes on sides $38,000.00

2. Tiffiny''s - not sure on prices, just we stopped in and looked at styles, seems more reasonable than Harry Winston or Graff, just not sure if they are as good.

3. Graff - G VS1 1.57 round with two tappered baguettes, setting similiar to Harry Winston, I have enclosed a picture $27,000.00

4. Graff H VS1 2.01 round , no side diamonds, just the round, for $38,000.00 including tax , set in their beautiful simple solitaire, I have enclsoed a picture.

I took my brother in law and sister in law to New York yesterday, they are upgrading after years of being married, and really don''t want to buy from online vendor. They want to make sure since they are paying alot, that they get the best for the $$.
Which would you pick, store and stone. The Graff one was the largest 2.01, but again, it was 38.000.00, just not sure if that is a better buy.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Graff 2 carat and 1.57 carat G vs1

Graffview.jpg

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for responding. They don''t want to buy from an online or other place, this is a once in a lifetime purchase and they want to buy from New York City and go to one of these stores. We were just wondering which one would be the place to purchase, and if the 2 carat at Graff was the better buy, or should they buy the smaller 1.51 at Harry Winston.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a tough one, because we all know they could do much better going online. Since that's not an option, I would say the Graff markup is less than the HW, and I believe but am not entirely sure, that the Tiffany would be about the same or less than the Graff. Personally, if I were comfortable paying those prices, I'd just go for the biggest diamond available at whichever of the 3 stores. I believe the biggest "name" value is in the HW.

ETA: I love the solitaire/baguette style!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the larger stone but with baguettes, since I tend not to love just a plain solitaire myself.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both are beautiful; the 2 carat and 1.5 almost look the same size. I like the side stones. But if size makes a difference I would get the bigger one since you can always add a sparkly wedding band. ETA: oh I see it is an upgrade, then the 2 carat.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2007 4:28:22 PM
Author: diamondfan
I like the larger stone but with baguettes, since I tend not to love just a plain solitaire myself.

ditto!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2007 5:02:36 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 10/6/2007 4:28:22 PM
Author: diamondfan

ditto!!
Thritto!!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
That''s the problem I guess. The Harry Winston one is beautiful, but quite a bit more than the one at Graff for about the same size, just the one at Harry Winston was E color, and the setting with the split prongs was nice and set alittle lower than the Graff. They wish the one at Harry Winston was similiar in price, which it''s not at all, even though it''s close in size.

If they go with the bigger diamond at Graff, it is 37,000.00, but then they have to get a band to go with it.

If they go with the small one from Graff for 27,000.00, with the side bagettes, it looked great with a plain band.

I guess the issue is the $$ for the 2.00 carat at Graff and if it is more worth it to get that, or the Harry Winston one for less $$$, since it''s a Harry Winston.

I think it looks better with the diamonds on the sides, but they are alittle concerned they will regret not getting the 2.00 carat.

Frustratating that the prices differ so much. HW is so expensive, but there settings are beautiful and of course the diamond. Graff was pretty too, but the setting was set just alittle higher than the HW one, which kind of just looked different after she tried the HW one on, not sure if either was better, HW was just lowered lower in the setting, and Graff''s was alittle higher, not much. I have to say the lady at Graff''s was 10 x nicer, and HW the lady was a bit snooty.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock

--You mean you would rather get the 2.00 from Graff, but add side stones?
That would push the cost up another 4,000 or 5,000.00 forsure.

Or are you saying get the Graff one that is 1.57 for 27,000.00 with the side stones?

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure they could look at their inventory at other stores too around the States and get what you like brought in. I don''t think you would be limited to what''s on hand right now in their showroom.

Part of the big hike in price at HW is the E color vs the G at Graff. HW go to an F in color so maybe if you told them you were after an F? That would help with the price.

Good luck! and let us know what they end up getting, please!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I think your correct, on the color with HW, that''s what she mentioned.
She said they go only D E F in color with HW.
So maybe they can ask for an F in color and maybe it will bring it down alittle.
They called in advance, and still only were able to provide that 1 stone to look
at in their size and price range.

Sounds like you like the HW one better, even though it''s might be more $$$
for same size you can get at Graff for less.

The HW one was beautiful, just not the 2 carat at Graff that you can get for
the same 1.57 HW one, that''s the problem.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would do Tiffany''s or Graff. HW is just too expensive. I like the 2ct. solitaire. It''s bigger.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
So, you would get the 2 carat at Graff, that''s interesting, probably a better deal, and they do cut their own diamonds.
You have to wear a diamond band with it, or it looked too plain. It had a beautiful setting, kind of set lower than the one
with the bagettes. The diamond band was I think about 4,000.00 at Graff, not cheap, but it kind of went with it, which is what they said.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, my thoughts are this. I have 1.5 carat and next to a 2 carat it isn't that big of a difference; I think when you get to a 2.1 or bigger then it makes a bigger difference. I do like the 2 carat but the side stones really adds a lovely element to it. Can you go VS2; that should help lower the price. Have them bring in more rings; they are paid to work for you, right? I love the 1.57; what does your sil think?

Can you take a pic of those 2 rings closer together?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, factoring in all your variables, and since they don''t care overly much about which name is on the ring, yes, I''d go for the 2 ct. Graff. I think in the long term, they might be disappointed they didn''t go for the bigger stone. As others have said, a blingy diamond WB would go nicely with it. Or a plain band now and and eternity band later. I think the solitaire offers more choices in WB''s overall. Although I love the baguette look, I believe you need a matching band with that one or else it wouldn''t sit flush.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am saying I would get the larger stone, and maybe later see about having them add side stones. But that is only because I am not a lover of a totally plain band myself, and if she is, that is great, get the larger and call it a day.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi Myra,

Yes, correct, it doesn''t sit flush, but really none of them sit perfectly flush, even with the solitare, unless you go with a designer that specializes it flush settings.

The soliatire was stunning, but it''s so difficult because so was the 1.57 with the baggettes, they both are gorgeous.
It''s hard to take a picture side by side, we have to go back to Graff again to do that, although I could ask the sales lady to take a picture.

You wouldn''t believe though how hard it was for Graff to find a diamond in that size with the bagettes for that price, they only found that 1.57 , that was it out of all their stores. The 2 carats are easier for them, and 1 carats to find, she said it''s because of the cutting they do, they cut and whatever comes out the best is what they have.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hum, maybe they should ask Graff for the 2 carat with the bagetttes on the side, and just a plain band to go with that.
Maybe that would be the best choice, to add the bagettes to the 2 carat at Graff, I know it''s more, but
would it appear to much bling? Or would it still look clean and elegant and focus still remaining on such a large diamond?

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Although, if the just get the 2 carat solataire at Graff and nice diamond eternity band, it would sit more flush, that is something I saw when she tried it on.

Maybe that is the best choice over all.

These stores, Graff, etc.. focus mainly on the diamond I noticed, not on a detailed setting, etc.. just a plain really good diamond.
I agree it''s too plain with just the solitaire, but with the diamond band that might work and sit flush, and be larger and no need to ever upgrade.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not think the Graff two carat with properly sized baguettes will be too much, not in my view, but she knows what she is comfortable with. Then, a plain or a small diamond band would work equally well, again depending on her tastes.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t imagine spending that kind of money and not getting EXACTLY what I wanted! Does she want 1.5 cts or 2.0 cts? Does she want a solitaire or does she want side stones? Does she just want the say she bought it at Graff, HW or Tiffany? Does she just want the once in a lifetime experience? You can''t wear experience, so she''d better make sure the product of her experience is going to make her happy for a lifetime! I''d suggest taking time to make sure the decision is going to make everyone happy for the long run.

All that being said, I love a nice BIG diamond with baguette sidestones!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I was going to attach the diamond band picture that Graff took, but it came out alittle blurry.
It was basically a thin eternity band with very good diamonds.
It did look really great, she is tall and has long fingers, so the 2 carat did look great.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
She really loved the larger 2 carat diamond from Graff, but with the 2 bagettes added, her husband said it would be too much.
So, I think she could get the 2 carat diamond from Graff and add the eternity band and it would sit more flush than if she
added the bagettes to the 2 caret, because like the above poster indicated, it wouldn''t sit flush with the bagettes
and does sit more flush without them and a diamond eternity band instead.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
turns out they are going to buy the 1.57 carat one for 27,000 from Graff and get a plain band with it.
The other it turns out is too expensive for them, and realize that the 1.57 is large on it''s own
and they love the bagettes with it.

They won''t order it over the internet, i just found out,
so they will buy the above from Graff in New York

gontama

Shiny_Rock
HW offers (not offiically and not always) a G color stone on demand from a customer. We found that when shopping around named brands. If you (they) have already decided on the 1.57 please ignore. Just thought it does not hurt to ask HW, if that is the desired name.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results