shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the Idealscope -- Need Input on this Diamond...Please!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_6-9-45.png
    upload_2018-4-28_6-9-45.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you my Fairy!
1899431ti7ecm1sxg.gif

And yes Sledge, Brian Gavin is one of the original cutters and experts of the Superideal and as bm said, he was with Whiteflash till about 10 years ago ( wow is it that long?!) and formed his own company.

You can't go wrong with him.:))

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr Gavin was a co-founder of Whiteflash and was one of the team that developed the ACA brand and cut quality until around Dec 2008 when he and his wife Lesley left and formed his own company with his own line of super ideals.

If you do want to get that BGD stone, thoroughly recommend that you try and get in contact with Lesley to discuss.

Thank you so much for this additional information. Since seeing this diamond, I have been doing some web research myself and it appears he's pretty much a diamond bad a**. Thank you guys for pointing me in his direction. I feel like I will get a superior cut (my most important quality) with one of his stones.

FYI, I have reached out to them this AM and left voice messages and an email message (via their website) that I am interested and asking them to place the stone on hold for me while I make a final decision. Also I tried their online chat, but that was not available. I assume they are currently closed and/or closed over the weekend. Either way, I have tried diligently to secure this temporarily.

The difference between the BG Blue (6.18 mm) and the WF ACA (6.13) is the bump in color for the ACA, but you gain size in spread by .05 mm and $1000 discount. I'm switching my vote to team BG Blue! Nice find @Lorelei

Setting at BG
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...de-stones/lotte-sholdt-14k-white-gold-6988w14 {posted by PP on your other thread at some point}
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...de-stones/r3707-parade-18k-white-gold-7107w18

Agree Rocky. I just can't see any reason to NOT make this BG stone my #1 contender. It's absolutely gorgeous. The color comparisons WF did the other day made me feel a little more comfortable on going to an H vs G. Also I love the fact the spread is slightly larger and that I can squirrel that extra $1k for the setting (sounds like I will need it, LOL).

Thank you for weighing in, it is appreciated. And thank you too @Lorelei for the recommendation. Both of you have been awesome in this whole deal!

Thank you my Fairy!
1899431ti7ecm1sxg.gif

And yes Sledge, Brian Gavin is one of the original cutters and experts of the Superideal and as bm said, he was with Whiteflash till about 10 years ago ( wow is it that long?!) and formed his own company.

You can't go wrong with him.:))

I can't express how much I enjoy working with the elites, and it sounds like BG is an elite. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I am very excited about this new option. :appl:

I’m always on the side of Team BG Blue. Love that fluorescence!

Admittedly, I didn't (and still don't) know much about fluorescence except it can be bad. Reading over the BG page on it, I understand there is good & bad and Brian filters out the bad and offers the savings and beauty of fluorescence on to the customers in his Blue line. From the little I've researched I understand it can actually make a diamond look more white. In this case, maybe having an H might look brighter as a result?

Looking at the video on his Blue page, I noticed the diamond video was gorgeous. There was only one shot that gave me concern and it was under certain lighting conditions and you could see a slight icy blue hue to the stone.

I take it that this will be the trade-off with a Blue line stone? Just trying to fully understand everything. Not that it's bad, just I want to know upfront vs later so I can make a final determination if that's okay with me or not. So far, I think it's a non-issue.

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for this additional information. Since seeing this diamond, I have been doing some web research myself and it appears he's pretty much a diamond bad a**. Thank you guys for pointing me in his direction. I feel like I will get a superior cut (my most important quality) with one of his stones.

FYI, I have reached out to them this AM and left voice messages and an email message (via their website) that I am interested and asking them to place the stone on hold for me while I make a final decision. Also I tried their online chat, but that was not available. I assume they are currently closed and/or closed over the weekend. Either way, I have tried diligently to secure this temporarily.

Agree Rocky. I just can't see any reason to NOT make this BG stone my #1 contender. It's absolutely gorgeous. The color comparisons WF did the other day made me feel a little more comfortable on going to an H vs G. Also I love the fact the spread is slightly larger and that I can squirrel that extra $1k for the setting (sounds like I will need it, LOL).

Thank you for weighing in, it is appreciated. And thank you too @Lorelei for the recommendation. Both of you have been awesome in this whole deal!

I can't express how much I enjoy working with the elites, and it sounds like BG is an elite. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I am very excited about this new option. :appl:

Admittedly, I didn't (and still don't) know much about fluorescence except it can be bad. Reading over the BG page on it, I understand there is good & bad and Brian filters out the bad and offers the savings and beauty of fluorescence on to the customers in his Blue line. From the little I've researched I understand it can actually make a diamond look more white. In this case, maybe having an H might look brighter as a result?

Looking at the video on his Blue page, I noticed the diamond video was gorgeous. There was only one shot that gave me concern and it was under certain lighting conditions and you could see a slight icy blue hue to the stone.

I take it that this will be the trade-off with a Blue line stone? Just trying to fully understand everything. Not that it's bad, just I want to know upfront vs later so I can make a final determination if that's okay with me or not. So far, I think it's a non-issue.

You are most welcome and you've been great, we've enjoyed helping you! The diamond in question has medium blue fluorescence which won't cause any issues in medium, plus you know it's been hand picked by Brian for its exceptional all round qualities. It'll be gorgeous. Rarely will you even notice the fluorescence, you might get lucky and notice a faint blue under UV light but it won't be obtrusive even if you do, plus as you say, some feel ( including myself) that it's an asset in a near colourless diamond. The main bone of contention with fluorescence is the way it's come in and out of favour over the years, however due to the amount of information on it that's now available to the average consumer, things have changed and many seek it out! I particularly like it as I feel it adds a bit more energy to a diamond, but that's me.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are most welcome and you've been great, we've enjoyed helping you! The diamond in question has medium blue fluorescence which won't cause any issues in medium, plus you know it's been hand picked by Brian for its exceptional all round qualities. It'll be gorgeous. Rarely will you even notice the fluorescence, you might get lucky and notice a faint blue under UV light but it won't be obtrusive even if you do, plus as you say, some feel ( including myself) that it's an asset in a near colourless diamond. The main bone of contention with fluorescence is the way it's come in and out of favour over the years, however due to the amount of information on it that's now available to the average consumer, things have changed and many seek it out! I particularly like it as I feel it adds a bit more energy to a diamond, but that's me.

Thank you, it means a lot to have your help & support. Hopefully I can return the favor & help you or others one day with the knowledge I am learning.

Also, I appreciate the additional info on the fluorescence. It's nice to have some confirmations on the matter. I don't really see a negative from what I've seen on the videos and other info I've researched -- at least with Brian Gavin diamonds. I think I feel comfortable moving forward with the Blue series, and hope this stone works out. It really does seem to be a great value and absolutely gorgeous with the benefits of facing up just slightly larger than the 0.90 G at WF, despite being a slightly lower weight.

Wow. Looks absolutely stunning. And I see this is his current "elite" cut. I think I have to consider it given the beauty and good price, but I am concerned with the physical dimensions of the Black stone. And I don't mean that in a snobbish way. I'm okay with the weight being less than the ideal 1 carat weight, but the dimensions seem like they be off enough that I could physically see the difference between this and the Blue series, or even the WF G diamond. When I talk with Lesley I may see if they can take a pic of the Blue and Black side by side so I can see if it's worth even worrying about.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing I just thought of -- jumping back to the band situation -- if I should end up getting something with side diamonds, I've noticed most those come in G-H color and SI1-VS2 clarity. Would fluorescence have any negative effect on the center stone matching the side stones?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing I just thought of -- jumping back to the band situation -- if I should end up getting something with side diamonds, I've noticed most those come in G-H color and SI1-VS2 clarity. Would fluorescence have any negative effect on the center stone matching the side stones?
No. Not at all.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The side stones will be a lot smaller than the central one. Your eye will be drawn to the larger flashes of brilliance and fire more from that stone compared to the side stones. In certain UV situations, your diamond with Fluor may look a little “whiter”.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, got an email from Lesley and the BG stone is on hold until we talk. I think it’s probably the one assuming I can get past the setting dilemma. I felt I needed to rave about this as email came through late Saturday which I’m sure was after business hours. That impressed me.

The side stones will be a lot smaller than the central one. Your eye will be drawn to the larger flashes of brilliance and fire more from that stone compared to the side stones. In certain UV situations, your diamond with Fluor may look a little “whiter”.

Thank you. I may try to make sure the stones are a G or better. Or assuming BG does the setting make them responsible to match them so we don’t see a color difference. Sounds like Brian’s eyes are more trained and can handle this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, got an email from Lesley and the BG stone is on hold until we talk. I think it’s probably the one assuming I can get past the setting dilemma. I felt I needed to rave about this as email came through late Saturday which I’m sure was after business hours. That impressed me.

Thank you. I may try to make sure the stones are a G or better. Or assuming BG does the setting make them responsible to match them so we don’t see a color difference. Sounds like Brian’s eyes are more trained and can handle this.

Lesley's eyes are also superb, you can trust what she recommends. Usual rule of thumb is no more than 2 colour grades between centre and side stones but they'll guide you.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yup. When I was purchasing stones for a solitaire and studs, Lesley was on live chat with me in the late afternoon here in eastern Australia. That’s around midnight Houston time. Dedication to customer service (and Lesley isn’t getting any younger too!)

Lesley's eyes are also superb, you can trust what she recommends. Usual rule of thumb is no more than 2 colour grades between centre and side stones but they'll guide you.

Totally agree with @Lorelei on this. I was skeptical about the K coloured stone I bought facing up white. My other option was a J VS2 that was 8 points less in weight (but cost $300 more and SI1). Lesley said that the difference between a J and K in their Blue line was minuscule face up. Given the setting my wife wanted (which would have covered up a fair bit of the side profile) it was a no brainer in Lesley’s mind to go for the K.

I’m glad I took her advice to get the K with medium blue fluor instead. Larger stone, was cheaper (even more after some additional bargaining with Lesley), and because of how well it is cut, it faces up almost as white (if not as white) as a non-super ideal GIA G coloured stone my wife has (before I knew better and ignoring the advice on many PS threads I had read in my time as a lurker on here before contributing).

Now I want a BG Blue with strong or very strong fluorescence, not for my wife, but just for myself!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. When I was purchasing stones for a solitaire and studs, Lesley was on live chat with me in the late afternoon here in eastern Australia. That’s around midnight Houston time. Dedication to customer service (and Lesley isn’t getting any younger too!)

Totally agree with @Lorelei on this. I was skeptical about the K coloured stone I bought facing up white. My other option was a J VS2 that was 8 points less in weight (but cost $300 more and SI1). Lesley said that the difference between a J and K in their Blue line was minuscule face up. Given the setting my wife wanted (which would have covered up a fair bit of the side profile) it was a no brainer in Lesley’s mind to go for the K.

I’m glad I took her advice to get the K with medium blue fluor instead. Larger stone, was cheaper (even more after some additional bargaining with Lesley), and because of how well it is cut, it faces up almost as white (if not as white) as a non-super ideal GIA G coloured stone my wife has (before I knew better and ignoring the advice on many PS threads I had read in my time as a lurker on here before contributing).

Now I want a BG Blue with strong or very strong fluorescence, not for my wife, but just for myself!!!

Why did I have a feeling you were keeping YOUR options open all the while.....:shhh:

I knew you were after a Guymond!:tongue:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between my wife & I, I’m more of the diamond nut. She’s happy with what she has now, but I am saving up for an Octavia or a larger BG Blue or CBI stone now!

I knew it.:lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between my wife & I, I’m more of the diamond nut. She’s happy with what she has now, but I am saving up for an Octavia or a larger BG Blue or CBI stone now!

I think you must be DancingFire's secret younger brother....:Up_to_something: You have the exact same taste and are partial to the same things.....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I know exactly how you feel ;-)

Missus likes her CBI a lot and says it is perfect - not too large and not too small - but I am currently pining for a 2ct+ Octavia or a Yoram asscher :lol:

I'm even considering <$1000 asschers or ECs, so I might be able to have some bling until I win the lottery and afford the huge rocks I really want! :D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I know exactly how you feel ;-)

Missus likes her CBI a lot and says it is perfect - not too large and not too small - but I am currently pining for a 2ct+ Octavia or a Yoram asscher :lol:

I'm even considering <$1000 asschers or ECs, so I might be able to have some bling until I win the lottery and afford the huge rocks I really want! :D

You could have a nice tension set pinky ring or a man bangle with some bling in.:tongue: That would be a 'mangle.'

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you must be DancingFire's secret younger brother....:Up_to_something: You have the exact same taste and are partial to the same things.....
:lol:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guymond :lol: I'm dying :lol:

Sledge, BGD blue - or any BGD will be beautiful. Note however, their upgrade policy, while more liberal than James Allen or blue nile, is a bit less generous than whiteflash or HPD. With BGD, you can spend a buck more, but must also upgrade TWO of color, clarity, carat from your trade in. Just sayin.

I have BGD signature studs and they are gorgeous!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guymond :lol: I'm dying :lol:

Sledge, BGD blue - or any BGD will be beautiful. Note however, their upgrade policy, while more liberal than James Allen or blue nile, is a bit less generous than whiteflash or HPD. With BGD, you can spend a buck more, but must also upgrade TWO of color, clarity, carat from your trade in. Just sayin.

I have BGD signature studs and they are gorgeous!

I appreciate the heads up and wasn't aware of their upgrade policy. That said, I think it's probably a non-issue since the diamond is more than she expected. In fact, last night she threw out the suggestion of just getting plain matching wedding bands. Granted, she isn't aware I've already selected a diamond and in the process of finalizing things, but I was like.... o_O

But should we decide to upgrade it later, I think two traits would be plausible. Carat is almost a given, LOL. And while I have no qualms with the H VS2 I've selected, I could see bumping either of those up a level to a G or VS1.

Now I have to get serious with a setting to keep this process moving. But more on that in my other setting thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results