shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the Idealscope -- Need Input on this Diamond...Please!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4798544.jpg View media item 122528The other day I started a thread about choosing a setting for the future Mrs. which many of you were kind enough to reply to. In that thread, a diamond was recommended that I liked and placed on hold to further review.

Today I got the idealscope image and would like some input regarding the quality and value of this stone. I'm not really sure how to read these, so some clarification about what you see and why that is good or bad would also be appreciated.

Assuming I did this right, it scores a 0.9 HCA. Cost is $5,040. 0.90 carat, G, VS2, round.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4798544

The following verbiage was included in the email with the idealscope image:

Thank you for your interest in James Allen! Here is the idealscope image for diamond 4798544. You will see the brilliance indicated by the red coloration spread throughout the image and the scintillation pattern from the dark bold arrows that adds contrast to make the sparkle more intense. This diamond has bright white color and high clarity making it eye clean. The stone will remain on hold while you review the image until 4/26. Please call or chat in with your order number (XXXXXXX) to finalize your purchase!

Last edited:

newjourney

Rough_Rock
I think you included the wrong link. No idealscope image to be seen.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odd. On my view, I see the idealscope image FIRST before any of the text. I added and tried to attach using the "My Attachments" section. Not familiar with that, and it seems odd.

I tried to fix. Please confirm all is good.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it works now.
A great ideal-scope and HCA score. There is a tiny issue with one of the minor facets causing leakage that is very small and would not be noticeable to the human eye.
If the price etc meeets your needs it will sparkle more than 90% of diamonds

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the quick and honest feedback, it is much appreciated!

So my original target range was 1+/- carat, round, D-G, VS+ with as excellent cut as possible. In fact I had considered a H&A diamond. I'm just not as convinced it's worth the hype but if I had two "identical" diamonds sitting side by side for a small premium I might go ahead.

Budget has always been fluid, as I can go up if needed or wanted. I'm just trying to be reasonable with mine and my girl's expectations and find a great bang for the buck that has tons and tons of fire and will be a gorgeous diamond. I don't like paying premiums for names, or skimping where it matters when it comes to this type of a purchase.

it works now.
A great ideal-scope and HCA score. There is a tiny issue with one of the minor facets causing leakage that is very small and would not be noticeable to the human eye.
If the price etc meeets your needs it will sparkle more than 90% of diamonds

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Solid IS for about 95% of the stone. The only issue is that small amount of leakage at 9 o’clock which is showing up as a bit of white on the IS image.

It is barely detectable on the magnified JA video in diffused lighting conditions. I think I can locate where it is in the video, but as it rotates around, the area does light up nicely.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Woah! I had no idea the inventor of the HCA (and Idealscope!) @Garry H (Cut Nut) was on PS! Thank you for helping me choose my stones over the years! :clap::wavey:
Sure I am here. Mostly when people send me a note to check or clarify.
And FYI I am working on a great new project that will make HCA way better :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry, just curious do you have an idea by when this new version of the HCA tool would be ready?
It is an addition, not a new version. In Developer Inventor time, probably 1 month. In human time. Who knows?

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gary. Look forward to the development.... Cheers

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is an addition, not a new version. In Developer Inventor time, probably 1 month. In human time. Who knows?

I’d just like to say thanks again for weighing in on this diamond. I was equally surprised and relieved to have an expert like yourself render an opinion. If your revised HCA tool is to the test stage, does this stone still rank as high under the revised criteria?

I have until today to make my final decision and then JA takes the stone off hold. It seems the imperfections are very minor. In my head it seems I’d be hard pressed to find an equal or better stone for the same or better money making it a good value.

Ready to pull the trigger but also a bit nervous.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d just like to say thanks again for weighing in on this diamond. I was equally surprised and relieved to have an expert like yourself render an opinion. If your revised HCA tool is to the test stage, does this stone still rank as high under the revised criteria?

I have until today to make my final decision and then JA takes the stone off hold. It seems the imperfections are very minor. In my head it seems I’d be hard pressed to find an equal or better stone for the same or better money making it a good value.

Ready to pull the trigger but also a bit nervous.
As the HCA addition is still in development, I think it's a bit too soon to get any outputs from it ;-) :razz:

You have done your homework and found a great stone at a great price - JA's return policies mean that you can accept it with confidence and review it in all the lighting conditions you have at home, to make sure it meets (or exceeds!) your expectations. If you don't like it you can just return it, although I think you will like it a lot ;-) :))

I totally get how you feel - it is a not-small amount of cash for something you are inexperienced in buying/assessing and therefore don't want to 'do it wrong' - but I think you will be very happy with the stone in question!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your original stone is a nice stone with a nice aset. Any chance of upgrading in the future? I'll throw this one out there just in case. With WhiteFlash
you just have to pick a stone that cost more than your original. At JA you have to spend 2X your original stone. If not interested in possible upgrade
in the future than your pick above should be very nice.

Lower color but a Super Ideal Branded ACA H&A with Idealscope, Aset, H&A images and nice video.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586209.htm

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and echo-ing tyty, great buy if you're not intending to upgrade at some poing. which given what you've shared of your intended, it doesn't sound like it's something she would want to do.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to say idealscope not aset...to late to edit.

BTW...is that you jumping out of a plane in your avatar? If so, thank you for your service!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to say idealscope not aset...to late to edit.

BTW...is that you jumping out of a plane in your avatar? If so, thank you for your service!!!

I was thinking the same thing, we're always delighted to help our service men and women!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 21

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your original stone is a nice stone with a nice aset. Any chance of upgrading in the future? I'll throw this one out there just in case. With WhiteFlash
you just have to pick a stone that cost more than your original. At JA you have to spend 2X your original stone. If not interested in possible upgrade
in the future than your pick above should be very nice.

Lower color but a Super Ideal Branded ACA H&A with Idealscope, Aset, H&A images and nice video.

Not certain there will be an upgrade, but it's nice to have the option of any dollar value as opposed to 2x the value. What I like more is the fact this is a H&A collection. Seems like a small price jump for the extra awesomeness. I am okay going up a little in price so I went ahead & called Whiteflash and put this one on hold while I continue to ponder.

Also RockySalamander recommended another one to me on Whiteflash (in a different thread). I placed it on hold as well.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3945630.htm

Beautiful stone and echo-ing tyty, great buy if you're not intending to upgrade at some poing. which given what you've shared of your intended, it doesn't sound like it's something she would want to do.

I think you are right. She was worried a 1 carat was too big, but who knows. Life changes. Me personally I'd like to see her keep the original for sentimental purposes but that may change as we mature & get older and she decides to bling out her fingers, LOL.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HPD (online CBI dealer) and Whiteflash have the best upgrade policies (as long as new stone is one buck more than the old one, upgrade away).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has these 3 in their vault. I'd ask them to compare them and give you their opinion and how high or low the H options are in the H color range.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has these 3 in their vault. I'd ask them to compare them and give you their opinion and how high or low the H options are in the H color range.

They are supposed to call me this AM and give me a human evaluation over the phone. Since I have some recommendations from this thread and my other one, I am combining the diamonds in this thread.

Opt 1: 0.9ct rd, G, VS2, 0.9 HCA, $5040 ($5600/ct) - Started this thread
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4798544

Opt 2: 0.902ct rd, H, SI1, ACA-H&A, $5525 ($6125/ct) -tyty333 recommended

Opt 3: 0.9ct rd, G, VS1, Prem Select, 1.8 HCA $5677 ($6308/ct) - Rocky recommended

Opt 4: 0.923ct rd, H, SI1, ACA-H&A, $5829 ($6315/ct) - Rocky recommended
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3974678.htm

The difference in price is minimal IMO, and a non-factor. I am a little worried about the H's being "too yellow" but the WF rep assured me this was not the case and that the ACA-H&A diamonds tend to be whiter/brighter than their color grades. It's one color grade so I am probably making it too big a deal. The last stone that Rocky recommended caught my eye because it's slightly bigger but the inclusions I can see on the web images and the AGS report has me a little a concerned.

I'm not overly concerned with any of these weights. The cut, clarity & color is more important to me. I want this baby to be full of fire & sparkle, sparkle, sparkle! If I'm being honest, the H&A is cool to me because I'm picky, detailed and a smidge of me wants the bragging rights. Thankfully my girl keeps it real and I know she'd be ecstatic with any of them so I'm not letting my ego feed this decision.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are supposed to call me this AM and give me a human evaluation over the phone. Since I have some recommendations from this thread and my other one, I am combining the diamonds in this thread.

Opt 1: 0.9ct rd, G, VS2, 0.9 HCA, $5040 ($5600/ct) - Started this thread

Opt 2: 0.902ct rd, H, SI1, ACA-H&A, $5525 ($6125/ct) -tyty333 recommended

Opt 3: 0.9ct rd, G, VS1, Prem Select, 1.8 HCA $5677 ($6308/ct) - Rocky recommended

Opt 4: 0.923ct rd, H, SI1, ACA-H&A, $5829 ($6315/ct) - Rocky recommended

The difference in price is minimal IMO, and a non-factor. I am a little worried about the H's being "too yellow" but the WF rep assured me this was not the case and that the ACA-H&A diamonds tend to be whiter/brighter than their color grades. It's one color grade so I am probably making it too big a deal. The last stone that Rocky recommended caught my eye because it's slightly bigger but the inclusions I can see on the web images and the AGS report has me a little a concerned.

I'm not overly concerned with any of these weights. The cut, clarity & color is more important to me. I want this baby to be full of fire & sparkle, sparkle, sparkle! If I'm being honest, the H&A is cool to me because I'm picky, detailed and a smidge of me wants the bragging rights. Thankfully my girl keeps it real and I know she'd be ecstatic with any of them so I'm not letting my ego feed this decision.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with an H, especially in an ACA. I always think an engagement ring should first and foremost suit the girl's tastes as she's the one wearing it BUT. If the guy likes the thought of the H&A precision, as many many guys do, then there's nothing wrong with taking that into account when purchasing, it's all part of presenting their beloved with ' The Best' - whatever that means to those involved.:))

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed the call from WF earlier today, but my rep followed up with an email. As previously noted by some of you it appears you were correct about me NOT needing to worry about the H color. However, in this comparison (options 2 & 3 above), the H S1 diamond did have inclusions that MAY be visible with a good eye at 6" away. Honestly I'd prefer to get something more clean, if possible. That said, between those two diamonds I am leaning towards the G. However, I responded back & asked for a comparison between the G (option 3) and the larger H H&A (option 4).

Here is the email I received:

Hi Sledge,

I hope your day is going well. Thank you for placing your diamond on reserve with Whiteflash! I tired reaching you by phone, but got your voicemail.

I had a chance to take a look at the diamonds you are considering, and I can see why you are having a difficult time deciding, they are both very beautiful and very similar. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3945630,3586209 In terms of color, the diamonds were indistinguishable from the top view and faced up nice and bright white. From the side, you could see an extremely slight difference in color, however this is to be expected.

The H SI1 did have an inclusion that you may be able to see from the side and when looking at the diamond as close as 6 inches, depending on your eye site. The G VS2 will require at least 10X magnification to see any inclusions.

In terms of sparkle, fire, and brilliance, both of these diamonds are amazing performers! There was not much separating them in terms of performance, and we have the technical conformation of the sparkle with the Aset and Ideal Scope images.
https://www.whiteflash.com/whiteflash-diamond-imaging/

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the G is the front runner here if you feel the presence of the inclusion might be a potential fly in the ointment. Just ask yourself if you might keep looking for it or wondering if your intended might be focusing on it....If so, the G's the one to concentrate on. It has great images if that would also satisfy your hankering for H&A, it has great cut precision but it's not part of the ACA brand, if that's fine with you - great!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably keep trying to find the inclusions which is why I think I have to eliminate it.

In regards to the H&A collection, I have opted to put my ego aside. Where I don't want to sacrifice is the sparkle; however, according to the in-person review of both stones it appears they are basically the same. Had she said, the H had better sparkle I'd try to live with the inclusions as I understand the sparkles will outweigh the color, clarity and carat.

I'm looking forward to the other comparison of the .923 H and this G; however, I think that one might be worse according to the report and some of the magnified images. Of course, all this may be for nothing. Check my other thread -- she sent me a link of a ring she loves that uses a princess cut -- no, it's not a typo. She specifically told me she didn't like princess, blah, blah, blah. I'd like to whip out the fine print & remind her, but instead I bite my tongue and nodded my head.

I think the G is the front runner here if you feel the presence of the inclusion might be a potential fly in the ointment. Just ask yourself if you might keep looking for it or wondering if your intended might be focusing on it....If so, the G's the one to concentrate on. It has great images if that would also satisfy your hankering for H&A, it has great cut precision but it's not part of the ACA brand, if that's fine with you - great!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably keep trying to find the inclusions which is why I think I have to eliminate it.

In regards to the H&A collection, I have opted to put my ego aside. Where I don't want to sacrifice is the sparkle; however, according to the in-person review of both stones it appears they are basically the same. Had she said, the H had better sparkle I'd try to live with the inclusions as I understand the sparkles will outweigh the color, clarity and carat.

I'm looking forward to the other comparison of the .923 H and this G; however, I think that one might be worse according to the report and some of the magnified images. Of course, all this may be for nothing. Check my other thread -- she sent me a link of a ring she loves that uses a princess cut -- no, it's not a typo. She specifically told me she didn't like princess, blah, blah, blah. I'd like to whip out the fine print & remind her, but instead I bite my tongue and nodded my head.

I think you're wise to eliminate the SI clarity, take it from me, if the thought of the inclusion bothers you now, it will continue to do so.

The G is superbly cut, it shows great precision and strong hearts and arrows so you have that even if it didn't make the cut as an ACA.

One thing's for sure though, you're going to end up with an amazingly beautiful stone which will outsparkle probably all the other diamonds you see - for now, because I think you've got the bug and more diamonds will be analysed and purchased for more significant events in your lives together, plus you might want a diamond ring yourself one day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with @Lorelei in that I think the Opt 3 (0.9ct rd, G, VS1, Prem Select) ticks all your boxes. Do make sure it is on hold while you make a final decision.

Re: the setting. I think she was really showing you the setting shape and fit with the wedding band. I'm betting she did not mean for you to think about a princess cut. =)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're wise to eliminate the SI clarity, take it from me, if the thought of the inclusion bothers you now, it will continue to do so.

The G is superbly cut, it shows great precision and strong hearts and arrows so you have that even if it didn't make the cut as an ACA.

One thing's for sure though, you're going to end up with an amazingly beautiful stone which will outsparkle probably all the other diamonds you see - for now, because I think you've got the bug and more diamonds will be analysed and purchased for more significant events in your lives together, plus you might want a diamond ring yourself one day!

Thank you for the vote of confidence. And I agree, the SI has to be cut as I truly want eye clean as I know it will bother me later on.

Not sure I will be a diamond guy myself. I like the look on women, but prefer very simple and non-flashy for myself. Probably black or dark grey is my style. If she's lucky I will do a platinum band. But I'm sure I will be buying more for her as life progresses. ;)2

If you are flexible on budget, just showing you these, gorgeous Infinity H&A. Both come in under 7k with bank wire, that is if you'd consider H colour, all are VS clarity.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8250

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10002

A little smaller and well within budget. H&A.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

Wow, that Brian Gavin diamond caught my eye. Nearly the same size for $1,000 less and H&A. Seems like a trick, LOL. I've heard people sing his praises, but haven't heard of him until recently. I assume he's a trusted source?

I'm with @Lorelei in that I think the Opt 3 (0.9ct rd, G, VS1, Prem Select) ticks all your boxes. Do make sure it is on hold while you make a final decision.

Re: the setting. I think she was really showing you the setting shape and fit with the wedding band. I'm betting she did not mean for you to think about a princess cut. =)2

Out of all these diamonds, I agree - Opt 3 is the best fit. FYI, Opt 1 hold has expired anyways. I did get some feedback from WF about the larger H SI4 (Opt 4) diamond. Apparently it's not any more eye clean than the other one. Below is their comments concerning the stone.

As far as the setting, I don't know. She has no idea what I've been up to, and I started laughing. She asked why. I told her because she had specifically said no princess cuts. She touted back that she knew, but really really liked the setting -- even with the princess. But like you, I'm not as convinced she will really like this setting long term. She's been too back & forth on stuff. She's went back to that twist a few times.

Hi Sledge,

Thank you for your email. I am sorry I was not able to reply sooner, I have been in meetings with clients in our showroom. I was not able to pull the diamond before the safe closed for the day, however I did see in the diamond teams notes that the diamond is not eye clean at 6 inches and from the side. Knowing this, do you still want me to take a look at the diamond?

I do think you will be very happy with the G VS2! I am quite partial to our A Cut Above diamonds, however this diamond is a magnificent GIA Excellent! Looking at the ASET, and at the diamond in person, this diamond performance and sparkle is fantastic!

Because we were not able to connect this afternoon, I have continued the reserve on your diamond though Monday at 2 PM.

I look forward to speaking with you Monday!

Thanks,

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that Brian Gavin diamond caught my eye. Nearly the same size for $1,000 less and H&A. Seems like a trick, LOL. I've heard people sing his praises, but haven't heard of him until recently. I assume he's a trusted source?

Mr Gavin was a co-founder of Whiteflash and was one of the team that developed the ACA brand and cut quality until around Dec 2008 when he and his wife Lesley left and formed his own company with his own line of super ideals.

If you do want to get that BGD stone, thoroughly recommend that you try and get in contact with Lesley to discuss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results