carat
color
clarity

Got A CHALLENGE For All You PSer's!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's the short course on choosing a modern RB:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferred-specs-cheat-sheet-for-rounds.88548/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferred-specs-cheat-sheet-for-rounds.88548/[/URL]
Also see the education section at niceice.com. He used to sell diamonds on here and still drops in every once in a while.

More like $8000 for a 1ct G SI1 eyeclean H&A RB is realistic, if I just make a rough guess at a price. As others said. 90ct in a halo will look big. If you buy the diamond, would she buy the halo mounting? It's just a thought. I don't see how else she can get a $10,000 look on a $5,000 budget. I'm not knocking you or your budget. I just wonder where some of these young women get their expectations from, lol. I received a .8ct in a solitaire mounting, and it was a used ring at that and I was over 30 and sell-established in my career. But the man was not made of money. I bought my own mounting later, after I was certain what I wanted. I felt that was a win-win for the man and I. I got a nice ring for modest cost. But compromises had to be made somewhere to keep the cost down.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Gem Queen...... Oh I'm so glad you posted this response ! I live in Orange County and have been looking for a trusted jeweler. I have not lived here long and am in need of a good jeweler with a good bench. Can you please give me a name ? I would soooo appreciate it !
Thanks in advance :appl:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1458441530|4008021 said:
Is this close enough to the first flower setting?
http://www.stuller.com/products/69818/?groupId=113995
I would ask Yekutiel at ID Jewelry (www.idjewelry.com- call, don't email, esp. if you're under a time crunch) if they can get this setting and if so, you need the nicest, closest to 1 ct diamond you can put in it in budget. Tell him you're a Pricescoper.
I fear, NurseMike, that semi-mount will consume a disproportionate percentage of your budget. I couldn't find it in the several 2014-15 Stuller catalogs that my now retired local jeweler gave me, but a Canadian retailer is showing it at $3294 USD (in 14K white gold, for a 6.50 mm stone)
http://josecocustomjewellers.jewelershowcase.com/products/69818/?groupId=113995&searchTerm=69818

Of course, Stuller's current, suggested retail price may actually be lower -- and/or Yekutiel may be willing to sell it at closer to his cost -- but wanted you to give you a heads-up before you call ID Jewelry, so you wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted a figure that's appreciably more than the James Allen and Gabriel & Co. settings that have been suggested in this thread.

E B

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1458446626|4008039 said:
E B|1458441530|4008021 said:
Is this close enough to the first flower setting?
http://www.stuller.com/products/69818/?groupId=113995
I would ask Yekutiel at ID Jewelry (www.idjewelry.com- call, don't email, esp. if you're under a time crunch) if they can get this setting and if so, you need the nicest, closest to 1 ct diamond you can put in it in budget. Tell him you're a Pricescoper.
I fear, NurseMike, that semi-mount will consume a disproportionate percentage of your budget. I couldn't find it in the several 2014-15 Stuller catalogs that my now retired local jeweler gave me, but a Canadian retailer is showing it at $3294 USD (in 14K white gold, for a 6.50 mm stone)
http://josecocustomjewellers.jewelershowcase.com/products/69818/?groupId=113995&searchTerm=69818

Of course, Stuller's current, suggested retail price may actually be lower -- and/or Yekutiel may be willing to sell it at closer to his cost -- but wanted you to give you a heads-up before you call ID Jewelry, so you wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted a figure that's appreciably more than the James Allen and Gabriel & Co. settings that have been suggested in this thread.

Wow! Well, in that case, JA would be the way to go, but it's worth asking about. IDJewelry is pretty good with budgets.

NurseMike

Rough_Rock
Niel|1458435732|4007992 said:
And I know this isn't exactly what she wanted, but you can be honest with her you where trying to get her the look she wanted with your budget.

I really did spend a lot of my day combing through eBay, blue Nile, Ruby Lane, 1st dibs, brilliant earth, Pricescope diamond search and whatnot and this was the best I could do :lol:

I just want to say thank-you so much for the tremendous work you put into the searches! I really do like the idea on buying the diamond first on a solitaire and then reset on anniversary or wedding time with the semi-mount she wanted!

Also, I ended up finding out where the actual ring from my original post came from:

glj.jpg

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=79322

Looks like the semi-mount itself ate up my budget, but the James Allen sure does compete well! In the meantime, I have looked through everybody's post and there are some awesome alternatives I could consider! Have been discussing with girlfriend and will keep you guys posted on whatever I choose to do!!! Thank-you all!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an idea or two for you buy this resize it to her size give it to her as is and tell her you will buy one of the settings she likes or allow her to get it for an anniversary;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-inspired/95ct-old-european-cut-diamond-solitaire-egl-h-vs1#.Vu5jFigVq5Q

This is also a beautiful set for the price if she was open to other shapes/ideas and it's her size too;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-inspired/1-04ct-asscher-cut-diamond-halo#.Vu5jkSgVq5Q

Again buy now upgrade the setting later;

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-95ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-i-j-si1/

You might be able to get a bigger stone and/or more value for money if you consider Antique and preloved diamonds.

This in a cheap temporary setting would be a magnificent stone, really beautiful cut for an Antique diamond;

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-26ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-k-vs1/

And then upgrade the setting later when you can afford it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look.

I've clicked on this thread a couple times. And I've bitten my tongue each time.

Here's the thing. And I am really trying hard not to preach, but I am afraid I may fail, so I'm sorry in advance.

This ring is a commitment from you to her. And it is in contemplation of marriage. Marriage is a partnership and there are many things that go into making it work. But communication, trust me, is one of the biggest parts of it.

You do not have a budget to get a full carat diamond in the setting she wants without HUGE sacrifices in quality.

What she is asking for is not reasonable for your budget. I'm not saying it's not reasonable PERIOD. I'm just saying that for your budget it isn't.

Now, in all likelihood, your lady has, like many of us, seen so much advertising about rings and proposals and what not that she probably doesn't have a realistic idea how much what she is asking for will cost. It's all advertising: platinum, a full carat, and then she sees a picture of that ring and BOOM, she WANTS IT. And she has no idea that what it will cost is this: 5500k for an I SI1 of quality that you would want to actually spend money on, and 2500 for the setting. So $8,000.

And, I am guessing you haven't told her that your budget tops out at 5k. And looked at diamonds with her so she can understand what she is asking for, and how much over budget it is.

If this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. MONEY and finances and BUDGETS and compromises are all things that you are going to have to deal with on a daily basis.

So I suggest that you practice those skills NOW, and have an honest talk with her about her expectations and your budget. And come to a compromise that makes both of you happy.

Now, I know that this may spoil the fairytale surprise dream proposal. But that's just more marketing. It's not real life. The proposal can still be amazing and a surprise with a serious conversation about budgets and expectations. That's real life. You balance the good with the not so great. And you find a way to be happy together through it all. That's why the vows say "for better or worse."

So TALK TO YOUR LADY. Decide on a mutually agreeable course of action and execute on that.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
I am absolutely in agreeance that you should go with a better diamond in a simple solitaire and then change the setting when budget and time permits.

However I know a couple of people mentioned Stuller having similar semi mounts so I did a little research. Here are the two current semi mounts that Stuller offers which are closest to the one you're interested in. The prices are very reasonable in my honest opinion.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458474160.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458474170.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458474179.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458474187.jpg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
Does the twisted halo remind anyone else of a dollop of whipped cream? Or is it just me? Lol

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
One other suggestion I have.... Reach out to Rhino (Jonathan) at good old gold in Massapequa NY—he is also a member here on PS. Him and team have the most amazing customer service I've ever encountered, and they are so honest and willing to help... He will be totally upfront and honest with you about limitations and what your budget will and won't do. ALSO, if you're interested in several diamonds he will upload comparison videos to YouTube for you to check out.

novicebuyer

Rough_Rock
I agree with Gypsy that a good marriage requires communications and an ability to discuss financial issues even when doing so is not totally comfortable. Having similar values and being able to compromise make married life a lot easier and more pleasant.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, I am showing your post to my kids so that when the time comes they won't be hearing it only from me and their dad.

Just so you know, NurseMike, many of us do not start out with our dream rings. I wanted a pear shaped diamond,and told him how beautiful they were, after a good friend of ours got engaged and showed us hers. He never commented or replied to my gushing. He proposed to me with a ring that had been in his family for a few decades. It was (still is) a round solitaire. I never thought twice about a pear shaped diamond when he proposed. I was so happy to be marrying him and starting our life together.

I think of pear shaped diamonds from time to time, mostly when I peruse this forum. Maybe someday...

I agree with the veteran posters. Buy the best cut, biggest diamond for your budget and then go from there when you've saved more.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope she is totally wowed and thrilled beyond measure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't always agree to the " but the biggest diamond and put it in a cheap setting " route

It works for some, but it does not work for others

If she is sentimental and will not want to change her ring becuase its "the ring you have her", then buying a setting she doesn't like isn't a great idea.

She be conflicted.

Id think compromising on 10 points of ctw (or on shape) is better than compromising on style.

Someone will always have a larger diamond.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nursemike! can't wait to see what you and your g/f pick! life is compromise and I'm sure you both will find something that fits your needs.. Congratulations and come back with the ring!

peace.

NurseMike|1458459054|4008063 said:
Niel|1458435732|4007992 said:
And I know this isn't exactly what she wanted, but you can be honest with her you where trying to get her the look she wanted with your budget.

I really did spend a lot of my day combing through eBay, blue Nile, Ruby Lane, 1st dibs, brilliant earth, Pricescope diamond search and whatnot and this was the best I could do :lol:

I just want to say thank-you so much for the tremendous work you put into the searches! I really do like the idea on buying the diamond first on a solitaire and then reset on anniversary or wedding time with the semi-mount she wanted!

Also, I ended up finding out where the actual ring from my original post came from:

glj.jpg

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=79322

Looks like the semi-mount itself ate up my budget, but the James Allen sure does compete well! In the meantime, I have looked through everybody's post and there are some awesome alternatives I could consider! Have been discussing with girlfriend and will keep you guys posted on whatever I choose to do!!! Thank-you all!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so take everything I say with a grain of salt becuase

1. You'd have to ask the setting vendor the acceptable mm range for the hole. The diamond is about ) 0.1 mm different but cut corners can be tricky.
2. You'd need more pictures of the setting to see how if its sizable.
3. IF it is sizable, you need to see how low they can size it. (I'd imagine you could use a combination of sizing beads and sizing, but depends on number 2.

Most importantly number 4 is youd have to have a discussion with your spouse if she would even LIKE an asscher.

But anyway, I found this lol. I know its more than a long shot, I think maybe I was just proud I found anything at all lol

Diamond

Setting

__82.jpg

__3__1_2.jpg

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Can you propose with a solitaire and then get the setting made later so that she can at least get the diamond when you propose?

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I wanted to chime in to say that I personally have the JA twisted pave halo ring in platinum. It was a reset for me and I have a 1.03 carat center. I do really like it; it's very unique and comfortable to wear.

One thought I had is that if perhaps you could do a colored gemstone instead of a diamond for now. Then later, she could have the colored gemstone put in another ring when you purchase a diamond for the e-ring. Another thought is getting the cable band halo they offer, which has a non-diamond shank, but would allow some more wiggle room for the stone. It sounds like you've gotten some great advice here already. But it also sounds like you are tight on time, which may be a factor. Best of luck and feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the JA twisted pave ring.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Hi NurseMike,

It may sound like blasphemy on PS, so I cringe even saying (or admitting it here), but another option is getting the setting she wants and putting (with full disclosure to your fiancee ) a decent/high quality CZ in the setting. That was my option 7 years ago as I fell in love with a $5000 setting. But 2.5 years ago we put in a real diamond and now this year we are even upgrading that diamond!

No one ever guessed there was a CZ in my $5000 setting because perception is their reality and as soon as you can swap it out with the real thing, she will be over the moon once more - like I have been!! :) :twirl:

I LOVE the settings she/you have picked out, so that would be my preference because quality diamonds will always be available for purchase.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaineyRod|1458535648|4008775 said:
I LOVE the settings she/you have picked out, so that would be my preference because quality diamonds will always be available for purchase.

Fair enough but I believe diamond prices have dipped recently, might be a good time to buy!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Snowdrop13|1458542256|4008800 said:
LaineyRod|1458535648|4008775 said:

Fair enough but I believe diamond prices have dipped recently, might be a good time to buy!

That is true!!! :doh:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think it would be a terrible idea to put a gemstone or cz or symm into the stone now when, seems to me, the two more important things are platinum and a 1ct DIAMOND

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NurseMike....another thing I was thinking about. Has your GF tried this ring on? The one you originally posted? It's not uncommon that once we try on a setting that we think* we like we change our mind. It doesn't look how we pictured in our mind.

You can still surprise your GF with a ring but it might help to stop by jewelry store and have her try a few on. Go to a real jewelry store (non maul store) so she can get an idea of real prices. After that visit would be a good time to talk about wants/budget. $5k is a healthy budget but it can only go so far. You sound like a really nice guy....can't wait to see what you eventually buy!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1458563523|4008846 said:
Hi NurseMike....another thing I was thinking about. Has your GF tried this ring on? The one you originally posted? It's not uncommon that once we try on a setting that we think* we like we change our mind. It doesn't look how we pictured in our mind.

You can still surprise your GF with a ring but it might help to stop by jewelry store and have her try a few on. Go to a real jewelry store (non maul store) so she can get an idea of real prices. After that visit would be a good time to talk about wants/budget. $5k is a healthy budget but it can only go so far. You sound like a really nice guy....can't wait to see what you eventually buy!

GREAT advice tyty - I know I chose a different setting than the one I thought I wanted from the magazines. I was within the same family, but different ring. I too am looking forward to seeing what you decide as well! Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!! That is awesome! :appl:

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333, truer words were never spoken. Having just ordered a JA setting and then getting it IRL were two different things. It was way different from what I pictured.
NurseMike, I think all the PSers on here have offered excellent advice. I am a super newbie and they picked out a great diamond in my budget but I was more flexible than your GF. If she's be willing to go down a little in carat size (to say a .9 for an I) or color to a J (I saw a few J's at ~1ct around 3K) and have the setting in 14k WG, you'd be at right about budget. The PSers on here would pick you out the best stone they could and she'd essentially have the look and weight she wants. But like they all said, something has to give.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wanted you to see the difference between a .9 ct and a 1 ct on a size 4 hand.

you can BARELY tell the difference next to each other. she will not notice the difference in everyday life (its a 7% face up difference )

capture.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dwj6211|1458474539|4008244 said:
One other suggestion I have.... Reach out to Rhino (Jonathan) at good old gold in Massapequa NY—he is also a member here on PS. Him and team have the most amazing customer service I've ever encountered, and they are so honest and willing to help... He will be totally upfront and honest with you about limitations and what your budget will and won't do. ALSO, if you're interested in several diamonds he will upload comparison videos to YouTube for you to check out.

^ Good suggestion. There is more than one way to get an engagement ring that does the job for her. Find out what her priority list is. GOG is great to work with. I have bought 2 H&A diamonds from them. But GOD also buys diamonds from individuals and estates. And they have access to the NYC diamond wholesalers. They might be able to find you an older diamond of "traditional" symmetry that is not the ultimate superidea; H&A diamond but is a good performer. It might have a large table or be slightly more designed for brilliance than fire. But that may not be very important if you are going to mount it in a halo setting and the melee diamonds in the setting will contribute fire. (If a diamond has a big table, the fire will tend to be out at the perimeter of the diamond, and brillinace in the center / table area. Mount it in a halo adds more fire to the overall appearance.)

I have a superideal GOG Signature H&A. And I have several other diamonds from pawn shops and diamonds that I got on ebay,etc, that are not ideal, but they are still pretty diamonds, and frankly, bigger and better than what most women in my region are wearing. One of them is a 6mm diameter diamond that has a huge table, J/K and some questionable symmetry, but I paid less than $1000 for it But it really shows off in office lighting and sunshine and particularly in those lights at Staples and Lowes, etc. It looks great in yellow gold, and not so great in white. So it's set in YG. But it's just a fun everyday ring, "big" by local standards, but not too big for a small town, and not valuable enough that I bother to carry insurance on it, either.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1458569700|4008889 said:
i wanted you to see the difference between a .9 ct and a 1 ct on a size 4 hand.

you can BARELY tell the difference next to each other. she will not notice the difference in everyday life (its a 7% face up difference )

This is a GREAT visual! It actually took me a minute or two of really looking at it to even figure out which one was act and which was 0.9ct. Plus, if you get a halo setting, she'll have a ton of finger coverage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results