shape
carat
color
clarity

Good news for Paraiba lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jeff, I was asked to take part. I just wish the I had thought of pulling this prank.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t make up the stuff about the naturally heated tanzanite and the Mahenge spinel pricing.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Sure you didn''t
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t. I really saw one. Whether it was heated by hydrothermal vents, I don''t know. But it was heated in the ground.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I know I know just trying to shine you on a bit.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! I''ve been had as well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m just sad I got in so late last night and didn''t have time to concoct some really good ''evidence''.

I actually thought you were in on it too Jeff!
9.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Ummm....yeah. I was totally in on it! Couldn''t fool me with a story like that. Yep. Right on top of it. Totally in on it.

Yep.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LOL, I wonder if we could have pulled it off on the Gemology forum too - or do you think they''d have smelt a rat quicker?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,
Just for kicks, what would you have concocted?
I wouldn''t have dared. Too many experts.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
A 348.38 carat flawless, pigeon-blood ruby was recently discovered in Burma. In spite of Burma''s reputation for producing world-class rubies, this is said to be one of the finest stones ever found. Arrangements are being made for the purchase by a wealthy prince in Dubai. He is reportedly paying the royal sum of $348 million, or just under 1 million per carat for the rough crystal. Expected to yield a single flawless stone of 130+ carats, the would-be owner has refused all interviews and has forbidden any pictures of the rough or cut stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay Jeff, I dare you to go and try it on them!
31.gif

Harriet, I don''t think I could have done anything - I''ve asked too many dopey questions, so they would know I couldn''t have anything as good as it would have to be.

You''d either have to be Richard Wise or Vincent to pull things off there I think.

Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone tried something...

Off to have a look
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,
What would you have said here, not there?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I didn''t suspect it was an April''s Fool joke at all! When this was posted, it was already 2nd April my time and didn''t realise it was still 01 April in the states.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 9:14:33 PM
Author: Harriet
Pandora,
What would you have said here, not there?
Oh, just things for the FGA course. I tend to PM people with most things, but I certainly don''t have a profile suggesting that I would be ''in the know'' on anything...

oliveg

Rough_Rock
Hi

Paraiba type tourmaline is now extensively machine mined in Mozambique.
Although the output of "Paraiba" is small, this attractive neon color can be obtained by heating of purple material. A lot of this material is starting to enter the Chanthaburi market.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read about this too but the asking prices are still very high and I''ve heard that the material is terribly cut; with the prices that they are asking for it, it isn''t even worth it to recut it to look beautiful, which is a shame.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve also heard that it is pretty included.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hilarious thread guys! I know nothing about nothing, and believed it, but I did think all the secrecy and "Ok, I''ll reveal my source" stuff was weird!

DD

oliveg

Rough_Rock
Effectively most of this heated material is included. As tourmaline is not so easily heated, most of the purple material is destroyed during the process as many liquid inclusions expand and crack the host. However a few clean stones remain clean after the process (of course surviving included stones remain included...)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or completely shattered.
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results