shape
carat
color
clarity

Good news for Paraiba lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently, there has been a large strike of Paraiba in Nigeria. The material is said to be highly saturated, to contain both copper and possibly gold(!), and to glow. As Nigeria was contiguous with Brazil before the great continental drift, the new material could be very similar to the original one. Dare I hope that prices will come down?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Harriet, I bet it will be something to see!!!!

Does this mean you will be buying something??? Hummmmmmmm??????

Linda

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only if I can afford it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoo boy, I''m staying tuned to this one. I wonder if this will bring the pricing of the original Brazilian paraibas down.
34.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Exciting... !! I would love to get one too. Defintely will be watching for these to start popping up.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I just talked to my supplier in Nigeria. Apparently this material is starting to become available. I don''t know about the color yet but he told me the rough is selling in the neighborhood of $550/gram. Expensive but, compared to true Paraiba rough it is very cheap.

I asked my supplier to send some pictures. When he does I will post them here so you can all see what this material looks like.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU JEFF!!!!!!!

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see the pics.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:25:49 PM
Author: Revolution

I asked my supplier to send some pictures. When he does I will post them here so you can all see what this material looks like.
awesome... I''ll be waiting!
36.gif
thanks Jeff.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m very excited!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2008 10:48:26 AM
Author:Harriet
Apparently, there has been a large strike of Paraiba in Nigeria. The material is said to be highly saturated, to contain both copper and possibly gold(!), and to glow. As Nigeria was contiguous with Brazil before the great continental drift, the new material could be very similar to the original one. Dare I hope that prices will come down?
I spoke to a Gem dealer in Africa and told me that the ministry of minerals in Nigeria are searching for potential exclusive license dealers asap...
They are shipping ''free'' samples of the material as a type of marketing strategy...

Its sounds like a new type of marketing for Gem material...

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
It is my understanding that this new "find" is coming straight out of the ground looking better than the heat treated Nigerian material. The reasoning I heard is that there are Hydrothermal vents in the area that are heating this material there fore no other treatment is nessassary. Wow I wonder if a lab will issue a report stating untreated?
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incredible! The cutters won''t have to risk shattering during heating. If the labs certify these gems as untreated, I fear prices will be astronomical.

Speaking of hydrothermal vents, I saw some Tanzanite recently that were naturally violet as a result of ground heat.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I did hear one other detail about this new find. I am not comfortable disclosing this in the open forum though.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh... I am so excited. Would love to have one myself. Does this mean this is likely to bring down prices of the current "substitute", the mozambique?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot off the press:
I have been talking to my favourite sources and it appears that this new find is now even easier to mine. There is no need to go digging in caves because the high heat and pressure of the hydrothermal vents pushes the material closer to the surface where they are washed downstream. That means the rough mined will be larger and the easier mining practice will yeild better pricing. At least that''s what I''m hoping.
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simplysplendid,
Probably, but I'd rather have one of the new ones.

Anyone else want to hazard a price forecast?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono/Harriet, where are the sources that you go to? If I am serious in one of these pretties, who will be a good source to go to to get one? Who is likely to have a lot of stock and hence options available or who is likely to have access to good quality stock?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Well what the heck. I have it on good authority that this new find will dwarf all others. As a matter of fact my source told me that these stones will become more common than one carat diamonds!!!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 5:07:47 PM
Author: colormyworld
Well what the heck. I have it on good authority that this new find will dwarf all others. As a matter of fact my source told me that these stones will become more common than one carat diamonds!!!
Yippee! Do you think prices will be better upon the release of these stones into the market or would prices be better after the initial craze and excitement has died down?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its not going to be economical to cut one carat sizes..., I understand these rocks (and I mean literally) are HUGE!! They average 20-40 carats a piece coming fresh out of the ground!!!

No need for digging what-so-ever!!!
I would suggest moving on to a different "rarer" Gemstone...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
6.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simplysplendid,
My usual dealers don''t have the rough yet. As DiaGem said, the Nigerian government is shopping around.

DiaGem,
Wow! At a conservative 40% yield, the cut stones will range from 8 - 16 cts!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, I wonder what the cost will be????

Linda

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2008 5:50:07 PM
Author: Linda W
OMG, I wonder what the cost will be????

Linda
It all depends on the structure of allocations!!!

Maybe someone will try the DeBeers model and keep the world from getting saturated with this new find...
27.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My $0.02 is that the prices will be extremely high. There was a large strike of hot pink / red spinels in Mahenge not too long ago. It seems that increased supply would have driven prices down. However, the gem market is an anomaly because there may be long periods between strikes. Thus, dealers keep prices up because they just don't know how many years it will be till the next find.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I hope not!!!

Linda

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2008 6:02:58 PM
Author: Harriet
My $0.02 is that the prices will be extremely high. There was a large strike of hot pink / red spinels in Mahenge not too long ago. It seems that increased supply would have driven prices down. However, the gem market is an anomaly because there may be long periods between strikes. Thus, dealers keep prices up because they just don''t know how many years it will be till the next find.
The smart move by dealers in the Mahenge Spinel strike or find was when a few combined and purchased the whole lot and could price them accordingly!

Thats why I said it depends greatly on the way those Paraiba''s are going to be marketed!!! But if the government are already dividing samples of the new find to potential exclusive dealers at no cost...., humm..., I really wonder what the price could be???

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I saw something on the net that Palagems were set to get the exclusive rights for the US.

I''ll see if I can dredge it up.

I wonder if Bill Larson was personally in on the find - although it would suprise me if he was going to let ''freebies'' out on the market...
33.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Geez, anyone who bought any paraiba in the last few years is going to be seriously fed up.

Can''t see Joe being happy either - aren''t his mystery stones supposed to be paraibas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results