shape
carat
color
clarity

Good news for Paraiba lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The site I was looking at said they discovered this find from space. Apparently Nigeria is pretty dry right and a small local dust storm blew up and a satellite just happened to be doing some spectral analysis of the sun through the amothspere right at the horizon. Well the got a big hit in the gold and copper part of the spectrum so they sent some geologists out to investagate and they reported the find. We all shall all be hearing a lot more about this soon.

I wish I could share a link to the web site but I had to give my word that I would tell no one.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had no idea the find was that huge. CMW, are you having us on?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Harriet,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 40% yields on well cut stones are just about unheard of. Most cutters, (at least art cutters like myself) will tell you that the average yield from a stone is going to run around 20 to 30%, maybe a bit higher for a well shaped stone. The problem is that, when cutting, you have to pay careful attention to critical angles to avoid windowing. That usually requires a reasonably deep stone which, in turn, dimishied the yield.

That being said, native cut stones probably avarage far better yields but you trade sparkle and beauty for weight.

In any case, with rough of the sizes being discussed here, the stones will be fabulously large. I''ll tell ya, get ya a piece of bread and some butter with one a'' them puppies and you got yerself a MEAL!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
CMW,

What a coicidince! I just had my name legaly changed to No one.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
That would be nice but I feel for anyone who bought it lately!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff,
Darn. Well, even at 20%, the range will be from 4-8 cts.
36.gif
Do you think the rough will be cut at source or will the government allow the export of rough?

icekid,
So do I. This may be a lesson in not buying gems as investments.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2008 7:02:20 PM
Author: Harriet
Jeff,
36.gif
Do you think the rough will be cut at source or will the government allow the export of rough?

icekid,
Ditto...and especially not buying when the prices are astronomical. I am just glad I didn''t get caught up in that.

tightropewalker

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''m new here, but thought I''d jump in. It is very interesting about the new paraiba find. We''ll see. Maybe I could get one this time. So far I haven''t added one to my collection. I wasn''t collecting during the Brazil, or beginning of the Mozambique find. So I missed them both, unless I pay a fortune for the Mozambique, still may I don''t know yet. But anyway, it will be nice to have others to talk to about my gemstones.
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome tightropewalker,

We would love to hear about your gemstones.

Linda

tightropewalker

Rough_Rock
Thank you Linda. I would love the opportunity to "talk" gemstones with some people. No one else I know collects gemstones, and they just don''t get it when you say, I got a Lightening Ridge Black Opal. They just look at me and say, oh that is nice. grrrrrrrrr
26.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, yes I know what you mean. I get that from my friends too. This is a great forum. You will love it here.

Linda

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 7:02:20 PM
Jeff,
36.gif

icekid,
Ooh.. I''ll take a 5 carat one.. (if the price is right!)

Welcome Tightropewalker!

tightropewalker

Rough_Rock
Linda, I do like it here. I know where I''ll be most of tomorrow.
26.gif
I can''t work anymore, which is why I took up gemstone collecting. Needed something to do.
31.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, that''s great news. I LOVE Paraiba.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2008 5:03:12 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Chrono/Harriet, where are the sources that you go to? If I am serious in one of these pretties, who will be a good source to go to to get one? Who is likely to have a lot of stock and hence options available or who is likely to have access to good quality stock?
SS,
I''m afraid I cannot give out my source - I''m concerned I may be violating one of the forum rules of linking to another place. Sorry.
8.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Harriet....

I believe the punishment for a hoax of this magnitude (especially having enlisted others to back you up) is 33 lashed with a lasagne noodle. Uncooked.

But serioulsy, this makes me woner. My guy in Nigeria seems to have access to some "new" material. Did you enlist him too?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Jeff.
12.gif

Do you trust your source? Maybe I stumbled on something?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2008 4:18:11 PM
Sorry, Jeff.
12.gif

Do you trust your source? Maybe I stumbled on something?
That would be pretty funny if it turned out to be true!
9.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no no no no
39.gif
39.gif
Tell me it is not a joke! Not that I mind being an April''s fool, but I would really really love some glowy neony tourmalines
30.gif
30.gif
! Must I continue to wait for a Mozambique to come and the budget to come
7.gif
?

If it is really a joke, I must say it is a really good one!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
That was a good one. You get BIG points. Nicely done.

Anyway, I just talked to my guy on the phone. It just so happened that some material came out of the existing mines and was becoming available. Timing was on your side.

Chalk me up as sucker of the week. But I have to admit, I did actually dream about new, big beautiful tourmalines last night...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hariett and I cooked this one up. She picked the topic and I picked the location.
11.gif
However, she did a great job in enlisting the others to join in. Kuddos to Harriet.
36.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 4:51:36 PM
Author: Revolution
That was a good one. You get BIG points. Nicely done.

Anyway, I just talked to my guy on the phone. It just so happened that some material came out of the existing mines and was becoming available. Timing was on your side.

Chalk me up as sucker of the week. But I have to admit, I did actually dream about new, big beautiful tourmalines last night...
I''ll take that title..
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sigh. If only this had been for real.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 5:00:03 PM
Sigh. If only this had been for real.
Sigh.. tell me about it. Ok, looks like I''ve got some dollars left for that Balenciaga handbag.. and a pretty tsavorite... and a van cleef and arpels vintage allhambra necklace (the 10 motif one in white gold and white mother of pearl
30.gif
30.gif
).. and a nice 3ct burma untreated royal blue sapphire.. and.... and ... and...(before the mozambique appears)...

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I came up with the satellite routine. Does that not count for something. I mean to say these things were found from space and be believable. That took some creative thought.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was far out in more ways than one. Your hydrothermal vent bit was even better.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I was just talking to one of my co-workers and explaining how well this was constructed. The sattelite bit WAS believable and nothing short of brilliant. Hydrothermal vent? Fuggedaboudit! Brilliant!

Props to all who participated. I think this thread should be pinned, if for no other reason that posterity.

CMW, were you in on this or were you just smart enough to pick up on it?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, that one was not so far out there.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 5:29:59 PM
Author: Revolution
I was just talking to one of my co-workers and explaining how well this was constructed. The sattelite bit WAS believable and nothing short of brilliant. Hydrothermal vent? Fuggedaboudit! Brilliant!

Props to all who participated. I think this thread should be pinned, if for no other reason that posterity.

CMW, were you in on this or were you just smart enough to pick up on it?
Clearly this is a conspiracy by people who are in the know! Well done Harriet, Chrono and Colormyworld!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ok, this one really made my diaper changing, nursing cum working from home day a lot brighter!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results