shape
carat
color
clarity

Golden South Sea pendant, opinions sought from more experienced pearl PS’ers

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
While browsing in an antique shop this weekend, I found this pearl pendant. I’ve wanted a SS pearl pendant ever since I tried one on of a similar size at one of my favorite jewelers last year, but had put it off for other priorities.

I asked the person at the counter if the owner of the item was around. I wanted to get as much info on it as possible in addition to what was on the tag (14k Golden Australian South Sea pearl 16.5mm X 13mm).

I was hoping it would have a certificate as well. It did not. The only info I got is that the person who initially had it owned a jewelry store in Hawaii and this was from their personal collection. Not a lot to go on.

I took a leap based on instinct and some limited experience with pearls.
I spent time last year looking at tons of pearls of various types while wedding jewelry shopping.
I had tried on GSSP earrings last year and fell in love, but they were out of the ballpark price wise.

With regard to price on the pendant, they were asking $995.
I offered $700 and they accepted.
I’m hoping I haven’t overpaid.
Trying to find exact comps on PS recommended vendor sites was hard.
Even if the sellers description of my pendant was entirely accurate, I didn’t see any in this size.

I absolutely love the petal setting and the pearl has a luster unlike anything I’ve seen before.
The color and texture are sublime.
If pearls could be described as a textile, this one would be cashmere.
It has a real softness. I love the size and weight of it as well.

I’m excited about it and can’t wait to wear it with my favorite sweaters this winter. Still figuring out chain options. I love the look of a lariat style so I’ll probably explore that.

Can any of the pearl experts weigh in with your impressions of whether it looks as described?
Or is it impossible to know without a certificate?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 06932808-B7C5-4C8A-A60F-E4DC1ED1A08C.jpeg
    06932808-B7C5-4C8A-A60F-E4DC1ED1A08C.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 32
  • 95C42F2D-F789-4FDA-A6C2-E018753390C6.jpeg
    95C42F2D-F789-4FDA-A6C2-E018753390C6.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DADF84F0-0F73-4E80-A715-D537D186E281.jpeg
    DADF84F0-0F73-4E80-A715-D537D186E281.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CC39C938-7450-4B19-B2AE-6EB4FC0C5848.jpeg
    CC39C938-7450-4B19-B2AE-6EB4FC0C5848.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 29

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your new GSSP pendant is really special and very beautiful! It is a very large baroque/drop pearl with a wonderful shape, and its lustre as you say is incredible. I love the classic pearl finding and while I think it looks perfect on the chain you chose, the large bail definitely lends itself to versatiity and I like your lariat idea. I do think the price you paid is quite reasonable for the size and quality of the GSSP as well as the setting.

Enjoy!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I think your new GSSP pendant is really special and very beautiful! It is a very large baroque/drop pearl with a wonderful shape, and its lustre as you say is incredible. I love the classic pearl finding and while I think it looks perfect on the chain you chose, the large bail definitely lends itself to versatiity and I like your lariat idea. I do think the price you paid is quite reasonable for the size and quality of the GSSP as well as the setting.

Enjoy!

Thank you @marymm ! I bought with my eyes and a hunch. I’m happy to know someone with more experience see’s what I suspected was a special quality piece. Thanks so much.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock

This was the lariat style I fell in love with last year. Different pearl color, but similarly sized.
The quality of their work is so beautiful, but I’d be looking to do a more budget friendly version with the versatility of wearing it multiple ways, ie varying lengths.
I’m satisfied to take my time and use some chains I currently have for now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty! Wear it good health!

As to price, I've seen lots of large GSS pendants and not all are very expensive (See ROLAY shop on Etsy for example; I've bought from them) but the trick is getting a setting you love, the shape and size pearl you prefer, a tone of gold that suits your skin, and a clean surface. Not so easy, especially getting a flattering color tone when buying online. The fact that you were able to see it in person before buying it made all the difference here. Clearly that particular pearl pendant "spoke" to you, and buying it was a good decision IMO.

With GSS pearls there is the question of whether it was color treated, but in the case of your pearl I see no reason to think it was, especially since the color appears to be a medium gold. (Deep gold pearls are the most valuable, so pale gold pearls, which are worth much less, are sometimes dyed deep gold. If the treatment is undisclosed, it defrauds the buyer.)

All in all I think you did just fine!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Think it's lovely.
The shape is very nice, I love the mid gold colours, 14K is good and suits the pearl. The price is fine. As pearlsngems said the only danger with gold is if it's colour treated but that looks natural.
The only thing I would question is saying it's Australian. Australia produces white pearls. Indonesia and the Philippines produce white and gold. So while the odd gold pearl appears its far more likely that this is not Australian. Not that it really matters. Lot's of sellers pretend their pearls come from here lol

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
It's very pretty! Wear it good health!

As to price, I've seen lots of large GSS pendants and not all are very expensive (See ROLAY shop on Etsy for example; I've bought from them) but the trick is getting a setting you love, the shape and size pearl you prefer, a tone of gold that suits your skin, and a clean surface. Not so easy, especially getting a flattering color tone when buying online. The fact that you were able to see it in person before buying it made all the difference here. Clearly that particular pearl pendant "spoke" to you, and buying it was a good decision IMO.

With GSS pearls there is the question of whether it was color treated, but in the case of your pearl I see no reason to think it was, especially since the color appears to be a medium gold. (Deep gold pearls are the most valuable, so pale gold pearls, which are worth much less, are sometimes dyed deep gold. If the treatment is undisclosed, it defrauds the buyer.)

All in all I think you did just fine!

Thanks so much, @pearlsngems!
I appreciate the helpful feedback.
Yes it did speak to me, immediately.
I could barely take my eyes off it once I saw it. It was like looking at a garden gazing ball.

In my research it seemed that prices, as you describe of some Etsy sellers were less than the larger vendor sites. That made it difficult to figure out if the price of this pendant was good and fair.

I look forward to checking out the Etsy seller you mentioned. Thank you.

I thought based on a chart I saw that this would be a medium gold. Glad you confirmed.
I find the full, bulbous shape very charming also. You’re right that I was lucky to find something I loved in its entirety in person.
I keep thinking of outfits to wear it with, so I do love it!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Think it's lovely.
The shape is very nice, I love the mid gold colours, 14K is good and suits the pearl. The price is fine. As pearlsngems said the only danger with gold is if it's colour treated but that looks natural.
The only thing I would question is saying it's Australian. Australia produces white pearls. Indonesia and the Philippines produce white and gold. So while the odd gold pearl appears its far more likely that this is not Australian. Not that it really matters. Lot's of sellers pretend their pearls come from here lol

Thank you, @katbran ! Great information about possible origin. Thanks for filling me in.
I will have to be ok with not knowing exact origin. I am taken with it’s beauty and I guess that matters most. Thanks again!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely, a great find, well done!

And thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hello darling. A literal drop of sunshine ::)

I think the colour suits you wonderfully :appl: And the shape is charming - nice drops are surprisingly hard to find!

I agree with everyone else - given the information you’ve got (knowns and unknowns!) and the fact that you chose this piece in-person - I think you did quite nicely for yourself ::)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl looked quite clean on the surface with good lustre, very nice drop-shape, nice setting etc. etc...

The colour may not be as deep and intense as some others I have seen, however, colour is a matter of personal taste.

It is a bargain IMHO!

For example, this one is currently listed on eBay by an Aussie seller, just over 936 GBP for Buy It Now option, 16.2 x 13.2mm, brand new item:

s-l1600.jpg

The OP's pendant is much nicer, IMHO.

DK :))

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
The pearl looked quite clean on the surface with good lustre, very nice drop-shape, nice setting etc. etc...

The colour may not be as deep and intense as some others I have seen, however, colour is a matter of personal taste.

It is a bargain IMHO!

For example, this one is currently listed on eBay by an Aussie seller, just over 936 GBP for Buy It Now option, 16.2 x 13.2mm, brand new item:

s-l1600.jpg

The OP's pendant is much nicer, IMHO.

Thank you, @dk168 for your lovely comment and for finding this comparison.
It seems the full rounds are generally higher priced, assuming bc they’re more rare.
But then there are all those other qualities that make a pearl more or less attractive, the tangible and intangible qualities that speak to you.

I’m lucky and happy to have found one that I love.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @dk168 for your lovely comment and for finding this comparison.
It seems the full rounds are generally higher priced, assuming bc they’re more rare.
But then there are all those other qualities that make a pearl more or less attractive, the tangible and intangible qualities that speak to you.

I’m lucky and happy to have found one that I love.

I am almost certain the top of that pearl has some sort of spur being hidden by the setting.

Like everything else, shapes of pearls is also a very personal preference.

I don't like too many rings in Tahitians and SSPs, and I am in the market for a pair of nice white small teadrop shaped pearls that do not break the bank. One day, I shall send my request to PP to add to their shopping list for their future buying trips.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Oh hello darling. A literal drop of sunshine ::)

I think the colour suits you wonderfully :appl: And the shape is charming - nice drops are surprisingly hard to find!

I agree with everyone else - given the information you’ve got (knowns and unknowns!) and the fact that you chose this piece in-person - I think you did quite nicely for yourself ::)

Thank you, @yssie ! That’s so sweet, a little drop of sunshine! I love that!
Butterscotch comes to mind too lol

So nice to know those with a whole lot more pearl experience feel that it was a special find. I’ve been charmed by a golden pearl, could be trouble! Lol

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I am almost certain the top of that pearl has some sort of spur being hidden by the setting.

Like everything else, shapes of pearls is also a very personal preference.

I don't like too many rings in Tahitians and SSPs, and I am in the market for a pair of nice white small teadrop shaped pearls that do not break the bank. One day, I shall send my request to PP to add to their shopping list for their future buying trips.

Yes, I figured there was more than likely a spur hiding under the cap. It would have been interesting to see it in its original form before setting.

The pearl earrings on your wish list sound lovely. I’ve seen so many gorgeous pairs on some IG sites, but they can be so pricy.
I love seeing all the beautiful pearl projects on this site!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's quite the rabbit hole to go down, the world of pearls! I would know :D

You've received plenty of advice here already; just wanted to say wear your pendant in good health!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
It's quite the rabbit hole to go down, the world of pearls! I would know :D

You've received plenty of advice here already; just wanted to say wear your pendant in good health!

Thanks very much, @molinePDG!! Yes, I think both feet are in the rabbit hole.:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results