shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to see Victor and need some advice!

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
I have an appointment scheduled to see Victor in September and need a little advice before I see him. This is my first post on here and I just want to start by thanking everyone who has helped inspire and guide me in this journey so far! My boyfriend had asked me almost two years ago what type of ring I would like and at the time, I had no idea and needed to start researching styles and settings. We live in NYC and after some online searching, I discovered I loved a halo setting. However, when I saw halos in person in the diamond district, there was something about them that I didn't care for yet didn't know exactly how to describe why not. Fast forward a few months and we're on a flight and the girl next to me went to turn her overhead light on and all I saw was sparkle! I was completely mesmerized and that was the first time I ever saw a halo I loved! I asked her details and she told me the designer was Victor Canera and he creates everything by hand and the reason I loved this halo when I hadn't loved others was because there was minimal metal showing. She let me know about this site and after spending endless hours over the past year and a half learning and being inspired by all of you, here I am - a little over a month away from seeing Victor!
Onto what I like...I love an OEC in a cushion shaped halo, with two rows of pave (around the diamond and the profile, not a double halo) in a cathedral setting because I don't think I want a donut. This was inspired by Twosanguinehearts' ring which I immediately fell in love with.
Now that I know the setting and design I love, what do I need to know about the diamond before I see Victor? I am thinking about purchasing one of his Canera European Round diamonds (probably around 1.5-1.8 carats). Are his diamonds as good as his settings? What do I need to know about the girdle (do I want thin, medium, large?), cutlet (medium, slightly large, large?), grade (is there a big difference between VS1 and VS2?), if I don't want a warm colored diamond, should I stay at a J and below and do I want negligible fluorescence?
It's a little overwhelming and by far, the biggest purchase of our relationship so we want to make sure we get this right! Thank you all so much for any advice and guidance you could give!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is an excellent idea to look at Victor's OEC diamonds! They are all well cut so you don't need to think about size of girdle, culet, etc. You just need to tell him your price range so he can show you all the stones in that range when you see him. Or, you could send for a stone or two before going and have the stone decided in advance. It is an advantage to see multiple stones at one time. I did that myself, and I found out my color limit was I color (and I would have probably gone to H had there been any). You will be able to look at the stones and see which appeals to you the most. I would stay at I color or higher, personally, especially since you are setting your stone in a halo. You will see some contrast in halo and center diamond color even at I color, I think.

VS1 and VS2 are usually both fine. VS1 is extremely clean and it is difficult to see inclusions with a 10x loupe. You may be able to see slight inclusions with a loupe in a VS2, but most will be clean to the eye. VS is my preferred range. Any higher is really overpaying for something that looks no better than a VS1, and I am more hesitant about SI clarity especially in stones with larger facets. But I would certainly look at an SI1 if Victor has one just to compare.

Just so you know, the vast majority of people here who have bought from Victor never have been to see him. You can order his diamonds to look at if you need a diamond, and most have him do settings without ever going there. It is nice that you are able to go, though!

That is unreal that you found PS and Victor on a plane! Do you remember the PS name of the person?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

Like you, my love of the perfect halo brought me to Victor in April. I had never seen a european round or antique cushion in person and was dying to compare them to the hearts and arrows. I really went in thinking that I wanted a cushion. However, after spending time with Victor and his diamonds, I was won over by the Canera European Round. It is truly stunning in person. I think all of his stones are beautifully cut and that you can't go wrong with any of them. My advice to you would be to ask him to have several ready in your price range of different colors. Look at each one, but don't let him tell you which stone it is. Decide for yourself where your color sensitivity is and what you are willing to tolerate. Pick the stone that dazzles you most. I always thought I would never go below an H, but after spending time with his 3.5 K, I decided I could tolerate lower and really loved the performance of the diamond. We very nearly decided to buy it.

Most of his stones have negligible fluorescence. No problems there.

Do be aware that he does not have settings available to look at. When we were there he had just shipped off a few he had finished. The only setting he had was an Emilya and matching band that he had for showing. That was fine by me, because that was the setting I really wanted to see.

You are going to have so much fun! I'm glad you found Victor. He is a true pleasure to work with.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is exciting! I visited him two years ago when I picked out my setting. I think Victor still uses high color melee. Given how perfectly cut his stones are, I am quite sure that an I in a CAC or CAR would be white enough, and this is coming from a girl that owned a F, MRB.

It is a good idea to look at many colors, and to choose the stone without knowing the specs. That would be an interesting experiment just for the fun of it.

When I went, there were quite a number of settings to see. He had a bunch that were just set with simulants, which should be fine for your purposes since you just need to see the setting. So ask to look at any settings he has, not just the ones set with real diamonds.

Talk to him and ask him anything. Ask him why he sets things a certain way, and what purpose it serves. That will help you really understand his settings and make the best decision for you. And make sure you look at non-halo settings too. For fun.. ;-)

Take lots of pictures and come back and share with us! Please keep us updated.

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469592438|4059720 said:
I think it is an excellent idea to look at Victor's OEC diamonds! They are all well cut so you don't need to think about size of girdle, culet, etc. You just need to tell him your price range so he can show you all the stones in that range when you see him. Or, you could send for a stone or two before going and have the stone decided in advance. It is an advantage to see multiple stones at one time. I did that myself, and I found out my color limit was I color (and I would have probably gone to H had there been any). You will be able to look at the stones and see which appeals to you the most. I would stay at I color or higher, personally, especially since you are setting your stone in a halo. You will see some contrast in halo and center diamond color even at I color, I think.

VS1 and VS2 are usually both fine. VS1 is extremely clean and it is difficult to see inclusions with a 10x loupe. You may be able to see slight inclusions with a loupe in a VS2, but most will be clean to the eye. VS is my preferred range. Any higher is really overpaying for something that looks no better than a VS1, and I am more hesitant about SI clarity especially in stones with larger facets. But I would certainly look at an SI1 if Victor has one just to compare.

Just so you know, the vast majority of people here who have bought from Victor never have been to see him. You can order his diamonds to look at if you need a diamond, and most have him do settings without ever going there. It is nice that you are able to go, though!

That is unreal that you found PS and Victor on a plane! Do you remember the PS name of the person?

I know, how crazy is that? I had never heard of Victor or PS before meeting her. I only know her actual first name, not her username on here but it was meant to be that I was seated next to her. We talked diamonds and setting details for more than half the flight! She actually learned of Victor and PS when at the gym and the girl next to her on the treadmill had a ring that sparkled like crazy so she asked her about it! She has the Emilya round halo and told me I should look up Frankie's ring on PS. I didn't know what any of this meant at the time but I was awake on my phone in the hotel the entire night reading about Frankie and her journey to find her perfect ring and thus began my love affair with PS. :)

Thanks, I will definitely look in the VS range and I and below. I know most people haven't been to Victor but I didn't want to chance my description of the setting (the setting is even more important to me than the diamond) not being accurate or clear to what I was thinking and I feel like I would need to see diamonds in person to compare. I will admit I am definitely anxious about the final product, not because I question Victor's work in any way - he's a master at what he does, but because I have NEVER tried any engagement ring on my finger that I love. And I really won't be able to with this one either until everything is all said and done and then it's mine. And I know I will love it because of what it means but rings are so expensive and I just want to be sure that for all that money, I love it.

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
poshmommy|1469592939|4059723 said:

Like you, my love of the perfect halo brought me to Victor in April. I had never seen a european round or antique cushion in person and was dying to compare them to the hearts and arrows. I really went in thinking that I wanted a cushion. However, after spending time with Victor and his diamonds, I was won over by the Canera European Round. It is truly stunning in person. I think all of his stones are beautifully cut and that you can't go wrong with any of them. My advice to you would be to ask him to have several ready in your price range of different colors. Look at each one, but don't let him tell you which stone it is. Decide for yourself where your color sensitivity is and what you are willing to tolerate. Pick the stone that dazzles you most. I always thought I would never go below an H, but after spending time with his 3.5 K, I decided I could tolerate lower and really loved the performance of the diamond. We very nearly decided to buy it.

Most of his stones have negligible fluorescence. No problems there.

Do be aware that he does not have settings available to look at. When we were there he had just shipped off a few he had finished. The only setting he had was an Emilya and matching band that he had for showing. That was fine by me, because that was the setting I really wanted to see.

You are going to have so much fun! I'm glad you found Victor. He is a true pleasure to work with.

Thanks, I'm so glad you met with him also! So, did you wind up purchasing the ring? I also started off wanting a cushion because I liked the shape of the halo and I know my boyfriend likes the classic look of a round diamond so we decided to design the ring with both aspects - a round diamond with a cushion halo. And I LOVE the cut and facets of an OEC!! :)
I hope he has enough diamonds in stock for us to compare while we're there. I'll send him a message beforehand with our budget and what we're looking for.

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1469594267|4059730 said:
That is exciting! I visited him two years ago when I picked out my setting. I think Victor still uses high color melee. Given how perfectly cut his stones are, I am quite sure that an I in a CAC or CAR would be white enough, and this is coming from a girl that owned a F, MRB.

It is a good idea to look at many colors, and to choose the stone without knowing the specs. That would be an interesting experiment just for the fun of it.

When I went, there were quite a number of settings to see. He had a bunch that were just set with simulants, which should be fine for your purposes since you just need to see the setting. So ask to look at any settings he has, not just the ones set with real diamonds.

Talk to him and ask him anything. Ask him why he sets things a certain way, and what purpose it serves. That will help you really understand his settings and make the best decision for you. And make sure you look at non-halo settings too. For fun.. ;-)

Take lots of pictures and come back and share with us! Please keep us updated.

I will definitely look at as many stones as he has in our price range! I feel like it's tough to tell how big a diamond will look in a setting, when they all look so small when loose on the table. High color melee means what? Almost colorless pave?
It's hard getting a custom made ring because I want the security of knowing I love it and we'll purchase it - not we'll purchase it and I hope I love it. I definitely trust Victor and his craftsmanship so I know if I am going to trust any designer it is going to be him. It is just a very large purchase to be buying sight unseen, you know?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is to make sure you have a camera with you and that it has lots of free space on it so that you can take a gazillion pics and videos. This visit is ONE time. That way, when you go home, you can pour over your photos and videos when you have quiet time to sit and mull everything over.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this ring is for you, and if you like cushions, please have Victor show you his Canera Antique Cushions as well as the European Rounds! You need to see them both to know what you love the most! Your bf has likely never seen either of these kinds of stones, so until you see them, neither of you know what you like the most. But this ring is for YOU to wear the rest of your life, hopefully, and he should want to get you what YOU love (within budget)!!! (Ask him if he'd like you to nix the next car he wants to buy for himself and buy what you like better!) Fortunately, either stone can go in a cushion halo. Most modern cushions are not well cut or attractive to me, but antique cushions are a whole different story! I have looked at both styles of stones and ultimately chose a round for my newly cut OEC (from another jeweler), but I someday would definitely like an antique cushion as well!

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469646203|4059918 said:
Well, this ring is for you, and if you like cushions, please have Victor show you his Canera Antique Cushions as well as the European Rounds! You need to see them both to know what you love the most! Your bf has likely never seen either of these kinds of stones, so until you see them, neither of you know what you like the most. But this ring is for YOU to wear the rest of your life, hopefully, and he should want to get you what YOU love (within budget)!!! (Ask him if he'd like you to nix the next car he wants to buy for himself and buy what you like better!) Fortunately, either stone can go in a cushion halo. Most modern cushions are not well cut or attractive to me, but antique cushions are a whole different story! I have looked at both styles of stones and ultimately chose a round for my newly cut OEC (from another jeweler), but I someday would definitely like an antique cushion as well!

I agree, and he would get be any shape and style engagement ring I like because he knows I'm the one wearing it and he wants me to be happy with it. I liked a cushion diamond in photos but when I saw them in person, they looked narrow or too square/rectangular and the overall ring wasn't pillow-y, plump or full enough. One jeweler had suggested putting a round diamond in a cushion halo and when he showed me, I was still stuck on the cushion because I thought it was odd to put a square peg in a round hole - or in this case, a round diamond in a cushion halo. But the more I looked at it, I realized it gave the halo the pillow-y, plump, fullness I had been looking for. And I identified that it was the H&A diamond I didn't care for as much but when I saw an OEC, I fell in love. And in a cushion halo, it looks gorgeous! I will definitely look at his cushion cuts also when I'm there - his are stunning and definitely not like the ones I've seen in person.

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1469642498|4059901 said:
My advice is to make sure you have a camera with you and that it has lots of free space on it so that you can take a gazillion pics and videos. This visit is ONE time. That way, when you go home, you can pour over your photos and videos when you have quiet time to sit and mull everything over.

Thanks, we're actually making the purchase while we're there (gulp!)!! I will post some photos of the diamond when we purchase it and the ring when it's complete!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, how special that you will meet Victor in person! Over the years he has made 4 settings for me and I love his work. Based on the reviews here his diamonds are of very high quality as well. I have worked with Victor as an overseas customer and he is very responsive via mail.

My advice:
- Go to Tiffany's and other jewellers in NY prior to your visit to Victor to find out whether you love a round stone in a cushion halo on your hand. You may love a certain style but you might not love it on your own hand and vice versa. You will also get a feel whether you want (for example) diamonds on the shank or not etc.
- Think ahead about your wedding set. Will you wear your engagement ring by itself or combined with a band? Do you want the rings to sit flush, do you want a super blingy or more subdued look etc. If you want a flush sitting band you might want to decide against diamonds on the donut and struts or ask Victor to make a spacer for you.
- If you want a 'matching' wedding ring set (an engraved band would be nice or a diamond eternity) it would be nice if Victor could make the band as well. It will be practical if he knows upfront so he can keep the dimensions of the e-ring in his file.
- Victor is super nice and accomodating, but don't try to micromanage him. He will create the perfect halo for your particular stone. If you trust his aesthetic eye, he will do the rest. Just let him know whether you want single or double prongs, diamonds on the shank, donut and struts or not, the type of halo (single or double sided, round or cushion shaped), full cut (for a modern look) or single cut (for a vintage look) melee...
- Study the 'Show your Victor Canera beauties' thread here on PS to determine what design elements you like.
- Ask Victor for advice but choose the elements that makes your heart sing since you are the one to wear the ring.
- Enjoy the process :wavey:

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Andrea515|1469639538|4059872 said:

Like you, my love of the perfect halo brought me to Victor in April. I had never seen a european round or antique cushion in person and was dying to compare them to the hearts and arrows. I really went in thinking that I wanted a cushion. However, after spending time with Victor and his diamonds, I was won over by the Canera European Round. It is truly stunning in person....

Thanks, I'm so glad you met with him also! So, did you wind up purchasing the ring? I also started off wanting a cushion because I liked the shape of the halo and I know my boyfriend likes the classic look of a round diamond so we decided to design the ring with both aspects - a round diamond with a cushion halo. And I LOVE the cut and facets of an OEC!! :)
I hope he has enough diamonds in stock for us to compare while we're there. I'll send him a message beforehand with our budget and what we're looking for.

I actually just started a custom cut CER with him from rough! Super excited!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrea515|1469647864|4059931 said:

I agree, and he would get be any shape and style engagement ring I like because he knows I'm the one wearing it and he wants me to be happy with it. I liked a cushion diamond in photos but when I saw them in person, they looked narrow or too square/rectangular and the overall ring wasn't pillow-y, plump or full enough. One jeweler had suggested putting a round diamond in a cushion halo and when he showed me, I was still stuck on the cushion because I thought it was odd to put a square peg in a round hole - or in this case, a round diamond in a cushion halo. But the more I looked at it, I realized it gave the halo the pillow-y, plump, fullness I had been looking for. And I identified that it was the H&A diamond I didn't care for as much but when I saw an OEC, I fell in love. And in a cushion halo, it looks gorgeous! I will definitely look at his cushion cuts also when I'm there - his are stunning and definitely not like the ones I've seen in person.

Okay great! Almost no one has seen newly cut, ideal cut antique cushions because there are only a few in the world! Well worth looking at while you are there!

I love Victor's cushion halo with rounds and cushions. I especially love the Anne Marie with the split shank, the Emilya, and I love his antique designs, too!

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-petal-profile

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1469648921|4059939 said:
Yay, how special that you will meet Victor in person! Over the years he has made 4 settings for me and I love his work. Based on the reviews here his diamonds are of very high quality as well. I have worked with Victor as an overseas customer and he is very responsive via mail.

My advice:
- Go to Tiffany's and other jewellers in NY prior to your visit to Victor to find out whether you love a round stone in a cushion halo on your hand. You may love a certain style but you might not love it on your own hand and vice versa. You will also get a feel whether you want (for example) diamonds on the shank or not etc.
- Think ahead about your wedding set. Will you wear your engagement ring by itself or combined with a band? Do you want the rings to sit flush, do you want a super blingy or more subdued look etc. If you want a flush sitting band you might want to decide against diamonds on the donut and struts or ask Victor to make a spacer for you.
- If you want a 'matching' wedding ring set (an engraved band would be nice or a diamond eternity) it would be nice if Victor could make the band as well. It will be practical if he knows upfront so he can keep the dimensions of the e-ring in his file.
- Victor is super nice and accomodating, but don't try to micromanage him. He will create the perfect halo for your particular stone. If you trust his aesthetic eye, he will do the rest. Just let him know whether you want single or double prongs, diamonds on the shank, donut and struts or not, the type of halo (single or double sided, round or cushion shaped), full cut (for a modern look) or single cut (for a vintage look) melee...
- Study the 'Show your Victor Canera beauties' thread here on PS to determine what design elements you like.
- Ask Victor for advice but choose the elements that makes your heart sing since you are the one to wear the ring.
- Enjoy the process :wavey:

Excellent advice, thank you! I've been to some jewelers in the city to get some ideas on what I would like and I will try some more on to be sure. It's a little ironic that living in NYC right near the diamond district, you would think I would be able to find something local instead of in California but I agree, his work is that good!!

I think I want the wedding band to sit flush and don't want to wear a spacer so I was thinking of not having a donut and having diamond on the struts, band and across the bridge of the ring (by bridge, I mean the part of the ring under the struts that connects the cathedral arms - basically how you would have diamonds on the donut but instead the diamonds go all the way across).

That's a smart idea - I will ask Victor to keep the ring dimensions of file so I have the option of a matching band. I will definitely try to balance being specific and clear in communicating my ideas without micromanaging...I have seen so many of his rings on here that I am confident in his work and I LOVE the VC beauties thread!!

Thanks so much! I am definitely enjoying the process! :)

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
poshmommy|1469659794|4060022 said:

Like you, my love of the perfect halo brought me to Victor in April. I had never seen a european round or antique cushion in person and was dying to compare them to the hearts and arrows. I really went in thinking that I wanted a cushion. However, after spending time with Victor and his diamonds, I was won over by the Canera European Round. It is truly stunning in person....

That's so exciting! What does a custom cut from rough mean? Taking an existing diamond and having him reshape it to a CER?

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469660368|4060027 said:
Andrea515|1469647864|4059931 said:

Okay great! Almost no one has seen newly cut, ideal cut antique cushions because there are only a few in the world! Well worth looking at while you are there!

I love Victor's cushion halo with rounds and cushions. I especially love the Anne Marie with the split shank, the Emilya, and I love his antique designs, too!

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-petal-profile

YES! Those are some of my favorites!! I will take a look at his cushions...they are stunning on the website! Here's one thing I wasn't sure if I would need to specify to him - in the gallery of the ring where the culet meets the struts, I don't like to have any air/space showing...is that something I would need to let him know and if so, did I describe that clearly/correctly?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't quite understand what you mean. The culet is the point or facet at the bottom of the diamond. Struts are like the table legs that hold up the halo. Those don't meet, so I am not 100% sure what you are meaning.

Do you mean that when you look through the gallery, you want the culet down below the doughnut and you don't want to see the culet (bottom point of your stone)?

I strongly advise letting Victor make it his normal way. His normal way is not too high; it is really just right. If you lower the halo too much, not only will it not look right, it might also cause issues wearing a wedding band with it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]

Andrea515

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469669391|4060078 said:
I don't quite understand what you mean. The culet is the point or facet at the bottom of the diamond. Struts are like the table legs that hold up the halo. Those don't meet, so I am not 100% sure what you are meaning.

Do you mean that when you look through the gallery, you want the culet down below the doughnut and you don't want to see the culet (bottom point of your stone)?

I strongly advise letting Victor make it his normal way. His normal way is not too high; it is really just right. If you lower the halo too much, not only will it not look right, it might also cause issues wearing a wedding band with it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]

Yes, that was exactly what I was referring to! I want to see the bottom point of the stone - I just didn't want to see the bottom point and then a lot of space below it. Those pictures are perfect! I'm just going to trust in Victor - he knows this much better than I do. It's a very exciting (and slightly overwhelming) process! Thank you so much!!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Andrea515|1469668481|4060072 said:
poshmommy|1469659794|4060022 said:

That's so exciting! What does a custom cut from rough mean? Taking an existing diamond and having him reshape it to a CER?

I'll start a new thread about it. I don't want to hijack yours! I agree that this is an overwhelming process. I don't think you can go wrong with Victor though. I agree with diamondseeker too about seriously considering his antique cushions. I had him show me all 3 of the cuts he does. He also called in a rectangular modern cushion for me to see. In the end, the cut of the European round was most pleasing to me. I'll get one of his antique cushions for a pendant one day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results