shape
carat
color
clarity

Going Modern or Old Fashioned?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
We''re shopping for a wedding set. We both love old things--vintage cars, early 20th century design--so I thought it would be fun to go with something that''s classic yet has a bit of that vintage flair. We''re also on a budget...I think we can spend between 2500 and 3000 for the entire set...so my question goes like this: Would it make more sense to go modern, and pick out a stone with a great cut and put it w/ a simple band and setting, or go with an old cut in a vintage/vintage-inspired setting? I love OECs and OMCs... Just not sure where to go to find nice old pieces that aren''t stratospheric in price. Around here, the prices on new stones/settings seem to be more reasonable than those for true antique pieces from the early 20th century.

We live in the Bay Area and I''ve been to all the usual suspects -- though I haven''t been browsing in the last few months -- I have poked around in Lang Antiques, Shreve, Dianne''s Old and New, and a few of the little shops in Berkeley.

Thanks for your input!

kimiko

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kimiko.

Some of the sellers on Pricescope deal with modern and antique cuts and would be happy to visit with you. You might want to search some threads or get recommendations from the consumer enthusiasts here.

If you are determined to go local you might try Nancy Stacy for suggestions (under the 'appraisers' resource). She is in the Bay area and very knowledgeable. Though she will remain neutral she may be willing to provide the names of a few places who specialize in what you seek.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
kimi, I''d like to suggest you go back to Lang''s and ask if they have any loose stones. You can also call Gus Farber & Dan Tennenbaum, they deal in antique loose stones and are in SF.

That said, if I were you, being in SF, I''d call Ari at Single Stone, he''s probably the largest dealer in old stones on the West Coast, he''s in downtown LA. If you give him your budget he can send you photos of what he has. He also has some original antique settings, but he also has a ton of repro settings and his work is fantastic. Once you narrow it down a bit, I''d take a weekend down there, he''s open by appt. on Sat''s, and look in person. It''s worth the trip down to LA since you''re close. Ari also has a lot of inventory out with other dealers (I think he provides some stuff to Lang''s, for example, so if you buy there you may pay more than you would directly from him) so once he knows what you want, he can call stones back in if he doesn''t have them in the store.

There are other options in NYC but I think for you, it''s easier to go through Single Stone. Keep us posted!

As for John''s comment on some PS vendors selling antique stones, I''m actually not aware of that, with the one exception of GOG, because Jon does have some old antique stones sometimes but you have to call him to find out what he''s got at hand.

I do know the ERD can get a type of cushion that''s a newly cut stone, but with chunkier faceting which looks more antique style, but they''re not actual old cut/antique stones, if that''s important to you - and it sounds like it might be with your love of Art Deco period antiquities. Perhaps ERD is what John was referring to (was that it John? If not, can you tell us what you meant because I''d be interested to know what vendors here have antique stones!).

Come back with any questions....Enjoy your search!

One last thing, if you come down to SoCal, the place I found my ring in SD has had a lovely Deco era ring for a while now...It''s about 2cts...I dont know what size/budget you''re looking at...

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS Kimikocat
35.gif

Good luck on your wedding-set search!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Surfgirl--thanks for the suggestion! I''ve read a ton of good things about Ari. I''ve contacted him in the past for some general quotes but have never pulled the trigger on anything. I''ve been to Lang a few times and sometimes the service is fantastic, and sometimes I just don''t feel like they take me all that seriously. (I''m tiny, I think I look about 12, and have tiny fingers to boot.)

Our budget is modest -- we''d like to spend no more than 2500 - 3000 for the ering and w-band. For that budget, do you think a modern cut or an old cut would give us the most value? I know they are completely different looks, but if we compare, not in terms of aesthetics, but just in terms of price vs. quality, which would be a better choice for someone with our budget?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried oldworlddiamonds.com for loose stones? Then you could pick your setting. Or I really like antiqueengagementrings.com for already put together rings. They seemed to have a good select of rings under $3K last time I looked.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Oh! 2 more great suggestions! When I find some likely candidates, I will post them on this thread.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello again!

After following through with your advice, I now have an embarrassment of options!

I am trying to figure out which set of options works best w/ our budget--and also produces the loveliest result. Any advice would be wonderful. I feel like I''m just spinning in circles right now, looking at all my options w/o being able to "pull the trigger." (Which annoys my boy, b/c he knows what he wants for his w-band and he''s all set!)

This post will be a bit long, so please be patient. I''ve outlined my discoveries below...http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/5.gif
Insert smilie
5.gif

Ari at Singlestone found a beautiful 1920s wedding set, and will send photos of more sets to me. I don''t know if I can post the images that he sent here. Does anyone know the policy? I will describe it verbally--it is a matched set, 18K White gold, with a "buckle" pattern on the shanks (a bit of open work). The e-ring has 3 diamonds, the largest is 0.38, I, VS2, and OEC. I don''t know the color/clarity of the smaller diamonds, but there are 2 smaller ones flanking the center, and the band is also set w/ diamonds. It is within my budget.

I wasn''t sure if I wanted something old -- I should reveal that my original e-ring is a 1.95 c, K-colored OEC (VVS2). It''s set in a modern setting, a custom plat setting with engraving. I''m not sure if I like the setting--but I love the stone. So I wasn''t sure if my OEC should have a smaller cousin, or go with a distant relative, a modern brilliant cut. So here is yet another option:

I looked at some stones/settings on Whiteflash''s site. I am considering a simple solitaire with an equally simple band, in white gold (tho my FI is pushing me towards 18K yellow b/c in his words "it looks more like gold"). I am considering the basic Tiffany one that is 250-300 dollars (not the lovely, but much more expensive Tiffany knife edge). More money for the stone, right? Now for the stone--I started looking at the ACA stones b/c I can''t "see" the stones, really, from here, and I figured someone over at WF had already taken a look at them and decided that they were pretty. The numbers look good, but I''m a visual person. My OEC has funky symmetry and sparkles like madness.

Here are some stones from WF that caught my eye:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=912982,912983,912970,912965,912976,13416
One more--http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-13416.htm

Then I checked out Old World Diamonds and thought these looked interesting:

http://oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=798&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=3
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=1573&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=4
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=1729&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=5
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=892&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=5

But what would I put them in? A whole new set of options opens up. And we can tell that I''m not good at making quick decisions. http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif
Insert smilie
1.gif

I did visit Leigh''s website, antiqueengagementrings.com, but I haven''t contacted either Old World Diamonds or Leigh to talk about possibilities. We''ve been busy at work preparing for a trade show/sales event, so I haven''t had a chance to get back over to Lang. Maybe next weekend...

And early this morning one last option popped into my mind -- what about a colored stone? Like a spinel? I''ve worked w/ Jeff White before and love his work. Would go to him again for this project... Or a colored diamond? But what would I put it in? http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif
Insert smilie
2.gif

Thanks to Surfgirl and Addy for their advice.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
kimiko, you are allowed to post photos that vendors send you, or any other photos you find, so we can see what you're referring to so it's fine to post Ari's photos. I'm confused though. You already have an almost 2ct. OEC ering in a modern setting? Why do you want another ering? Were you thinking smaller for everyday wear or something? If not, then why not find the forever setting for your existing ering, and spend the rest of the money on a wband?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 12:56:16 PM
Author: surfgirl

As for John's comment on some PS vendors selling antique stones, I'm actually not aware of that, with the one exception of GOG, because Jon does have some old antique stones sometimes but you have to call him to find out what he's got at hand. I do know the ERD can get a type of cushion that's a newly cut stone, but with chunkier faceting which looks more antique style, but they're not actual old cut/antique stones, if that's important to you - and it sounds like it might be with your love of Art Deco period antiquities. Perhaps ERD is what John was referring to (was that it John? If not, can you tell us what you meant because I'd be interested to know what vendors here have antique stones!).
I'm just seeing this now SG. PS rules prohibit me from making specific recommendations but you identified some great options...and it looks like Kimi has found promising paths. I was also thinking of sellers who can source diamonds cut in an antique style - in addition to those selling authentic antiques (which may be more what she wanted). Cheers.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:38:54 PM
Author: surfgirl
kimiko, you are allowed to post photos that vendors send you, or any other photos you find, so we can see what you''re referring to so it''s fine to post Ari''s photos. I''m confused though. You already have an almost 2ct. OEC ering in a modern setting? Why do you want another ering? Were you thinking smaller for everyday wear or something? If not, then why not find the forever setting for your existing ering, and spend the rest of the money on a wband?

Hi Surfgirl--

Yes, I was thinking of a smaller stone/ring for every day wear, which is why I decided to keep the center stone size around 1/2 a carat. I used to work in an industry (art) where large stones are the norm, but where I work now, my e-ring is a bit ostentatious. I wanted this set to be simple. I don''t know, maybe it is a stupid idea?

I suspect I''m looking at a 2nd e-ring b/c like everyone else who hangs out on PS--I love diamonds & jewelry.

Here''s a photo of my e-ring...with a Hearts on Fire ring that I tried at a local B&M.

cynthia_ering_top.jpg

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I couldn''t get the photo with the HOF band to load. So that''s just a top-down shot w/ wrinkly knuckles.

Here''s a photo of the set that Ari recommended.

1920s_singlestone_set.jpg

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
I''m new to this--should I post individual pictures of the diamonds that I am considering? Or the specs? Or both?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it''s a silly idea to get a 2nd e-ring, it''s just not something that''s normally done on PS. Most people upgrade substantially, not downsize. To make sure that you''re comfortable with wearing something as small, in comparison to what you''re used to, have you tried on 1/2 or smaller e-rings. Even if they are at Lang''s and out of your price range it''d be helpful. Also, could you keep your original w-band and just spend more money to finding matching e-ring for it?

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hey Addy--

I don''t have a w-band yet. I actually got started on this route b/c I was looking for a band to go w/ the OEC. Maybe I should just get a w-band and wear my original e-ring proudly...

I''ve tried on some rings--b/t 0.40 and 0.50 carats--at a little place called Aura Jewelers. They are much smaller and seem very delicate. It''s sort of a neat look.

I tried on a 4 ct at Lang...just for fun. it''s the one that''s currently on their site (you''ll see it on p.1 of the e-ring section. It''s really something else!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I think that a wedding band or bands might be the neatest and most versatile option. For ideas of how cool and versatile bands can be check out the rings and bands of Jennifer Garner and I think that it is Kate Beckinsale in the celeb ring thread. It a really cool look that would be flexible in a creative field or any field for that matter.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
I found the Jennifer Garner photos. That''s a nice look. 2Artists--I agree, one of the fun things about working in a creative field = the freedom to dress according to personal taste. Sometimes I think if we are too standard, it bores our clients!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Yes in a creative field one does have freedom with ones attire and personal taste in clothing and jewelry and the like. Sometimes I think that I could show up wearing just about anything no matter how bizarre or outlandish and get away with it because I am an artist. The real thing that would cause a stir is something super conventional.
19.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are getting some great recommendations to look at antique stones and settings.

However, I wanted to make a suggestion on the style you might get. I would suggest you get what you like the best rather than what is in style or more affordable. If you like it the best you will love the end product and be the most happy than if you tried to get a better deal in my opinion. Good luck with your searching!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m kinda having fun looking for you. What you want is similar to the guidelines I had to follow when purchasing my own engagement ring. If you don''t mind, I''ve found a couple of older antique rings. I''m not sure which direction you''re headed in at this point though!

$1,450 - .45 center OEC

PSjabelring.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a set (!!) for $1,450.

$1,450 - .45 OEC center set

I think I''m done now, but that website has a good pick for under $2,500 which would give you some money left over to buy a wedding band if you wanted.

PSsetWGOECring.jpg

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello Addy!

Those are some beautiful rings, for great prices! I love the simplicity of these pieces. Deco/Moderne is one of my favorite design periods. And you just can''t beat 1450 for an entire wedding set!

At this point, I think I''m either going to do a vintage piece, or a classic tiffany. I don''t think we can come in under budget w/ an old stone/new setting. Settings are expensive right now. You and I are on the same page when it comes to taste. What did you wind up choosing? I''d love to see pix of your rings.

Kcoursolle: you''re right, I shouldn''t let "value" drive me up the wall. It''s so easy to get sucked into the part where diamonds are seen as a commodity, and start thinking about w-bands and e-rings as if they were farm futures.

Hmmm--what do you guys think of the wedding set that Ari suggested? He''s leaving for a trade show on Tuesday. He''s sending some pix of other options, but is concerned that if I don''t pull the trigger on Tuesday, the set will go quickly at the trade show.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Besides considering vintage rings, here''s my other thought...something like SuzieQ''s ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/743-h-si2-cut-above-h-a-from-white-flash.28938/

I also found this set of photos from White Flash but can''t remember the original thread. Obviously mine would be a lot smaller (I think the center stone on this tiffany-style set is over 1 c).

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the photo:

If I go with this option, I could go with something like this:

0.738 ct J VS2 ACA H&A

. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 0.738
. Depth %: 60.9
. Table %: 56.8
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 52
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 5.82-5.85X3.55
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

WF-ACA-tiffany-yg.JPG

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
I decided that I needed to educate myself on how to purchase old cuts, so I started this thread.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 92px">Date: 5/24/2008 3:48:01 PM
Author: kimikocat
Hey Addy--

I don''t have a w-band yet. I actually got started on this route b/c I was looking for a band to go w/ the OEC. Maybe I should just get a w-band and wear my original e-ring proudly...
That''s what I would do. Have you seen Coatimundi''s fabulous K color 1.85 ct. round? She has all these great thin bands to stack with it. It looks awesome, and the bands could be worn alone on days when you don''t want so much bling.

Link (love to drool over this!): https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/calling-coatimundi-i-want-to-see-your-rocks-t79354.html

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just giving this a bump for you. No advice. I personally wouldn''t go for the ring from Ari because I''m a size person. That sounds silly considering how small my e-ring is. I know you have a bigger ring so you probably aren''t near as focused on size as I was/am.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure which thread to reply to but here goes. I agree with NeverEndingUpgrade-Coatimundi''s rings are amazing and those bands would look great with your ring. If that is the route that you go for. Your original is a gorgeous OEC right? If you are concerned with appearing a bit over the top-I would not personally worry with an OEC. To a lot of people in art or design having something that is old or recycled gives it a cool edge and makes it OK and not too over the top if that makes any sense. Even the average person in a creative field (who might not even be a diamond fan crazy right) would be cool with a ring with a recycled old stone and not see it as too showy. I''m not quite sure if that made sense but hopefully you know what I mean. But you are the one who knows the climate where you work and how you feel wearing your ring so I could be off.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 3:23:13 PM
Author: 2Artists
Not sure which thread to reply to but here goes. I agree with NeverEndingUpgrade-Coatimundi''s rings are amazing and those bands would look great with your ring. If that is the route that you go for. Your original is a gorgeous OEC right? If you are concerned with appearing a bit over the top-I would not personally worry with an OEC. To a lot of people in art or design having something that is old or recycled gives it a cool edge and makes it OK and not too over the top if that makes any sense. Even the average person in a creative field (who might not even be a diamond fan crazy right) would be cool with a ring with a recycled old stone and not see it as too showy. I''m not quite sure if that made sense but hopefully you know what I mean. But you are the one who knows the climate where you work and how you feel wearing your ring so I could be off.

Hello 2Artists:

I totally get what you are saying. It''s true that in our fields--art & design--"uniqueness" wins lots of points. I guess I am also worried on a different level that one day the lovely ring will slip off my finger and disappear. (Insurance, yes, but how many duplicates are out there?) LOL--who isn''t a diamond fan???

Coatimundi''s rings are so lovely...

I suspect you guys have figured out my secret plot--to obtain more jewelry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results