shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG''s second prototype new antique cushion. Yay ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 1:02:52 AM
Author: Kelli
If I were in any kind of position to be buying things, I''d TOTALLY be into having a newly cut OEC or transitional. I have to say that it''s mostly the transitional cuts that really make my heart sing! At least on PS anyway, if I saw them IRL, who''s to say? I had no idea I was such a cushion fan until I saw this video!

Btw as someone who doesn''t get to see that many stones IRL life, I have to say that I LOVE watching your videos. And I LOVE the fact that I see so many different shapes, clarities, and colors as well. The only diamond I''ve ever bought was my engagement ring, and if and when the day comes that I can spend money again (just bought my very first house
3.gif
), I''ll be scoping out all of your videos for sure. It''s nice to see how great an M I1 (or whatever combo) can look!
Ditto that! Transitionals! And I''m completely addicted to the videos as well.

Okay, confession, the open culets drive me bonkers in pics. Is it just because it''s magnified a bajillion and eight times? Would I notice it less or see the beauty in person? Meh. Too bad no one around here has an old cut I can play with IRL!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
phenomenal! mesmerizing, too!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2009 11:56:08 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 2/25/2009 11:52:12 AM
Author: Rhino
Greetings all,

Glad you enjoyed the clip as I had as much fun making it. Already more are on the way and also in the works. If I may ask ... do you think demand would be as high for OEC''s (but perfectly round), large culets, except *cut for light performance*? I have another prototype here in a round I was going to shoot as well I''d love input on.

I think that''s hard to say...here among PSers, a big old YES. But with most consumers...not sure.
Only one way to find out. A round of this flavor will complete my vision... for now.
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2009 2:28:08 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Hi Rhino:

In answer to your question, I''m thinking a transitional (the flower petal look) with small/medium culet is what most want in an antique round. Lots of people here scour e-bay for them.

What about an ''antique style'' section in your diamond search and video section on your website?

Big congrats and best wishes on these projects. Way cool !!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve already assigned the task to one of my staff. I''m not overstocked with OEC/OMC''s but we do have some honies on hand. And I agree ... they should have their own place on our search. Thanks for this input sonoma, I know you''ve been watching this with interest for a while now.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2009 10:39:31 PM
Author: jet2ks

Greetings all,

Glad you enjoyed the clip as I had as much fun making it. Already more are on the way and also in the works. If I may ask ... do you think demand would be as high for OEC''s (but perfectly round), large culets, except *cut for light performance*? I have another prototype here in a round I was going to shoot as well I''d love input on.

Rhino,

I may be a newbie, but personally, I think there would be some interest in newly cut OEC''s or transitionals. I knew nothing of diamonds before finding PS other than they were 10 on Moh''s Scale. After looking around, I have just fallen in love with old cuts. With a diamond like this you would be giving someone a chance to have something mostly traditional, but yet just a little different that still easily fits in most settings that are designed for a RB.

By the way, that cushion is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks for the comments jet. You don''t have to be an expert to appreciate the beauty of the oldies. My personal frustration with them is not the broad flash or the old world charm etc. but I wanted to add an element that I don''t find in lots that I see. Being as particular as I am when it comes to parting with my capital, I have grown acutely aware the adverse effects of the glassyness caused by extraneous light leakage as well as the overdarkness of head/body shadow. Many of these older cuts suffer from one extreme or the other. When they are cut just right though ... WOW. This is what I wanted to capture in this cushion project and as I exclaim in the clip am very well pleased.

I''m not sure if this will be viewed as a transitional cut but in my mind it most certainly will be. The transition *to me* is to take this old world charm of the oldies and turn up the volume on the optics.
31.gif
In this way one could be held alongside a modern signature GOG H&A and not suffer from any adverse optical effects .. not one iota.
5.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 1:18:00 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 2:28:08 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Hi Rhino:

In answer to your question, I''m thinking a transitional (the flower petal look) with small/medium culet is what most want in an antique round. Lots of people here scour e-bay for them.

What about an ''antique style'' section in your diamond search and video section on your website?

Big congrats and best wishes on these projects. Way cool !!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve already assigned the task to one of my staff. I''m not overstocked with OEC/OMC''s but we do have some honies on hand. And I agree ... they should have their own place on our search. Thanks for this input sonoma, I know you''ve been watching this with interest for a while now.
Awesome! Great idea!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Gecko: "Okay, confession, the open culets drive me bonkers in pics. Is it just because it''s magnified a bajillion and eight times? Would I notice it less or see the beauty in person? Meh."

You notice it lots less in person.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Rhino: "Thanks for this input sonoma, I know you've been watching this with interest for a while now."

I was So waiting for you to put these out, then I found the Honey in my avitar just a few months ago, then yours hit the market ! Timing, eh? (I still adore "little yellow" in the avitar, though.)

Oh, another idea for your upcoming vintage section on your website - have some photos of your new/old stones in vintage settings. I think that would give non-diamondphiles more of an idea about the vintage/antique look. I think new/old stones should be the next big thing in diamonds. Maybe it will be because of GOG !

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
I remember Rhino''s first old-style prototype from a fews month back - I think it was around 2 carats or so - very awesome. I think someone must have snapped it up pretty quick as it didn''t last too long on the GOG website. Great to see another one here. Love that big crown height. I agree w/sonoma that some shots in vintage settings would be great. I particularly love seeing a tilt angle shots of antiques that show off the crown height/angles.

Keep up the great work Jonathan! More more more, I say!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 10:58:34 AM
Author: geckodani

Ditto that! Transitionals! And I'm completely addicted to the videos as well.

Okay, confession, the open culets drive me bonkers in pics. Is it just because it's magnified a bajillion and eight times? Would I notice it less or see the beauty in person? Meh. Too bad no one around here has an old cut I can play with IRL!
i admired the many gorgeous antique cuts posted here and went poking around at vendor sites..... but those open culets bothered me, too. i dismissed them initially because of the culets, but all the other aspects of OECs kept drawing me back until i finally had to see one to put it to rest. well, seeing them IRL was a whole different story..... they are much smaller than the images suggest here and much less dramatic. the OECs i saw that had a culet designated 'small' i had to tilt the diamond this way and that searching for a glimpse of it, the one i bought has a medium culet and it is there but it is nowhere near as prominant as they appear in pics. in pics my eye went right to them, got stuck there and it was all i saw; IRL there is so much movement, fire, and scintillation that the open culet is just one more facet to catch and enjoy!

i have to say, i did an about-face after seeing them IRL - now i love them and i get a little lift when it shows itself! i find them incredibly charming, and i found i went from thinking if i got an OEC it would have to have a small culet to wanting one with at least a medium culet!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 5:30:42 PM
Author: rainydaze

Date: 2/26/2009 10:58:34 AM
Author: geckodani

Ditto that! Transitionals! And I'm completely addicted to the videos as well.

Okay, confession, the open culets drive me bonkers in pics. Is it just because it's magnified a bajillion and eight times? Would I notice it less or see the beauty in person? Meh. Too bad no one around here has an old cut I can play with IRL!
i admired the many gorgeous antique cuts posted here and went poking around at vendor sites..... but those open culets bothered me, too. i dismissed them initially because of the culets, but all the other aspects of OECs kept drawing me back until i finally had to see one to put it to rest. well, seeing them IRL was a whole different story..... they are much smaller than the images suggest here and much less dramatic. the OECs i saw that had a culet designated 'small' i had to tilt the diamond this way and that searching for a glimpse of it, the one i bought has a medium culet and it is there but it is nowhere near as prominant as they appear in pics. in pics my eye went right to them, got stuck there and it was all i saw; IRL there is so much movement, fire, and scintillation that the open culet is just one more facet to catch and enjoy!

i have to say, i did an about-face after seeing them IRL - now i love them and i get a little lift when it shows itself! i find them incredibly charming, and i found i went from thinking if i got an OEC it would have to have a small culet to wanting one with at least a medium culet!
I have a feeling that the same thing would probably happen in my case. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chunky flashes of fire from the old cuts. If I ever upgrade, I want those facets! But in pics, like you said, my eyes just get STUCK. Guess I'll have to fly to NY and play at GOG one of these days, eh?
11.gif
9.gif

Seriously though, I will have to go on a mission and see if I can find someone around my area with some old cuts so I can check them out in person.

Thanks for the input rainydaze - it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that got stuck on the photography!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 6:57:03 PM
Author:sonomacounty
How lovely is this: (!)

http://www.vimeo.com/3313233

---

Keep it going, Jon. Awesome.
31.gif
Just showed DH. I quote: HOLY SH*T!!! WOAH!

I think he likes it.
9.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Greetings all,

Glad you enjoyed the clip as I had as much fun making it. Already more are on the way and also in the works. If I may ask ... do you think demand would be as high for OEC's (but perfectly round), large culets, except *cut for light performance*? I have another prototype here in a round I was going to shoot as well I'd love input on.

In answer to this question...

Date: 2/24/2009 7:50:55 PM

Author: LovesAllDiamonds!

Sidenote question about GOG-- Does anyone with a Mac computer know how to view the Diamond videos on their website?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Diamond_Videos/

When I launch the download QuickTime can't open them
8.gif

There is a free Mac program you can download online which will allow you to watch .wmv files on a Mac which you can acquire here. It is called Flip4Mac. We are working on updating all the vids so they are flash like you see on Vimeo or YouTube which will be more easily compatible with all platforms. Thank you for the kind comments all. It is *your* input I value more than any others.

Warm regards,
I don't know! For me, no. This video is perfect. Please don't make the cutlet smaller or lower the crown height. I want something that looks as much like the Culinan II as possible. You've shown me something I would buy. Something I would buy instead of one of the low price point pieces (of which there are not many) from VCA, my favorite house. I think it's a "build it and they will come" type thing. Keep it authentic, and, um, I'll be talking to you in person, and not on the internet. Cheers.

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Am new here but have been enjoying everyones posts for a while now. I am the guilty party who bought this beautiful stone. I received my pendant from GOG today and i love it. Is so sparkly - i absolutely love it. I have tried to attach a photo of it below in case any of you want a look but the photos dont do it any justice.

Thanks for looking!

Reeniexxx

GOG Pendant.jpeg

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Congrats, Reenie! More pics...more pics!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Very nice Reenie. Can we see it around your neck please?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neck pics pleeaassee!!!! It looks beautiful!
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reenie - that diamond is gorgeous!!!! Please post more pics in the Show Me The Ring forums - I know others would love to see it - it''s amazing!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Congrats and welcome, Reenie. You got QUITE a stone !!!

If you have a digital camera that has a macro button, we'd really Love some more photos !!! (Please.)

----
Jon truly has something awesome going on with these new/old stones.
35.gif

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Does anyone know if there will be standardized proportions for these signature cushions? Will there be different lengths/widths/depths to still achieve the sparkle? I would like to be able to get an idea of spread for different carat weights compared to RBs. If there will be variation, and still many sparklies
3.gif
, I could maybe get one that looks bigger and still fits my budget!
20.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 1:57:19 PM
Author: Reenie
Hi Everyone,

Am new here but have been enjoying everyones posts for a while now. I am the guilty party who bought this beautiful stone. I received my pendant from GOG today and i love it. Is so sparkly - i absolutely love it. I have tried to attach a photo of it below in case any of you want a look but the photos dont do it any justice.

Thanks for looking!

Reeniexxx
I seldom if ever feel this way, but I am jealous!

Enjoy! I know you will. Your pendant is beautiful. A perfect way to set the stone. Congratulations.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, Reenie! What a beautiful stone. Did you expect to have a "famous" piece? You know, don''t you, that if you ever meet PS''rs in person we''ll all be asking to see the GOG prototype?!

Rhino, I have to echo what so many have said here. This is fabulous work and I am so glad to have some more options opening up for old looking stones. I am a recent convert after I lost my ering (later found it) and started wearing a family OEC of about 1 ct. It had been brought out mostly for special occasions for years but when I started wearing it daily I really fell in love. I am so smitten with the chunkiness and the colors. Please keep up the good work and I, too, will be contacting you in person instead of on the forums! I have a long wish list! Btw, I am a fan of your videos as well. They are great learning tools for us newbies.

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Thank you ladies - i am absolutely thrilled with it.. The stone has such character and the colours that i can see coming from the stone when it sparkles are just amazing even in regular daylight. Am charging my camera and will take some photos when i get back from work this evening. Am just worried my efforts wont let you all see just how beautiful this stone is.

Will post more this evening!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Greetings all,

I would be all over a perfectly round OEC cut for light performance!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
How pretty, I would love to see more pics

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 12:08:19 AM
Author: Reenie

Will post more this evening!
Well?
37.gif

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Apologies - finally managed to get my hands on a proper camera that would give better pictures that fuzzy blobs...

I have loaded my pics onto a thread in the show me the ring forum. Enjoy and thanks for looking!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-pendant-just-arrived.110148/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results