shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG website - cant find any diamonds?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who cant find anything or have they removed the inventory from their site..? Should probably ask them directly but I was only looking... :saint:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found their website extremely unfriendly to diamond searching. I think you should call them.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so not just me then... :wavey:
I would call them, but I prefer searching myself first and so this is rather annoying tbh. A friend's sister wanted some advice re diamond shopping too and I wanted to show them the gog site... but since it doesnt work for me anymore I dont feel like recommending them looking at it either.
Oh well...

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
their website change is AWFUL. I did reach out to them finally to conduct a search and wasn't pleased with the outcome of that either. I am sure they are losing business since this website change. Hopefully they will be able to rectify it soon.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Their diamond search is working for me at the moment, but yeah their new site is terrible, absolutely terrible. I will bookmark or pin a diamond, and when I try to follow the bookmark or pin later on, it says the diamond isn't there anymore. But if I search again, the same diamond will come up. It's just awful. It's been like this for the past month and a half or so, you'd think they'd have fixed it by now.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Plus I much preferred the format of their old diamond search, where the results showed the images of the actual diamonds.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I, too, find the new website totally unusable and disappointing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cookiebuttermonster|1463332589|4031993 said:
Plus I much preferred the format of their old diamond search, where the results showed the images of the actual diamonds.

+1 to this! I much preferred being able to see images of the actual diamonds during the search. I'm sad they changed it from that format :(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's now impossible to search for Octavias. :((

First, you have to know they even exist.
Then, you have to search for all asschers.
Then view each one and click on and read the report and look for the term Octavia in the comments.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ad me to the list of people who hate, HATE their new website.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
It's now impossible to search for Octavias. :((

First, you have to know they even exist.
Then, you have to search for all asschers.
Then view each one and click on and read the report and look for the term Octavia in the comments.

not only the octavias, it is the same thing with the avc line or any of their own branded/platinum diamonds. Or at least I should say, *I* cant find any of them any more. Odd marketing? :confused:

Edited to add: oh I finally found the magic button. "Search by brand". :silenced:

Ok edited again :saint: still dont like it, basically no info avaliable. Or maybe I need to find another magic button to get all the images and info. Im leaving it at that.

Edited again!! This is getting awkward. I found the magic button. Sorry. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they did more testing with civilians they'd find out how typical people surf a site and that many will not stick around long enough to find 'magic buttons'.

Ease of use and things being obvious to NOOBs is a huge issue now on the Internet.
Many companies think as long as things can be found somewhere somehow their web design is done.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny: I agree. I only kept searching because I already like GOG and knew there had to be info somewhere. Not sure I would try that hard if I didnt. Plus I am *still* not liking the change, I prefer the older site (not the old old one).

idealbrand

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce ourselves as the development company of Good Old Gold, while the feedback is not necessarily good news, we are extremely happy to have feedback as it will ensure we get better. I am working closely with Good Old Gold and we agree the specialty cuts (Branded Diamonds) are too hidden, we will change this to be always displaying and test the filtering to ensure its more clear which shape is selected.

We are also discussing the ability to display the diamonds in a grid with photos but as a quick fix we will e adding the photographs to the right side on the hover.

I will be looking into your comments in detail, we want nothing more than a flawless experience for Good Old Gold Clients and I truly thank you for taking the time to write these comments.

- John
Ideal Evolved
www.idealbrandmarketing.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, maybe they need to get a more managed website where the company managing it tests the results and charges likewise. GOG could then add 8% to the price of each diamond to pay for it. It is Sunday anyway, wait until they have a chance to respond here before putting them down too much. At least this thread shows they have lots of willing customers!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha look what was being posted at same time as I was posting.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
idealbrand|1463341115|4032026 said:
Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce ourselves as the development company of Good Old Gold, while the feedback is not necessarily good news, we are extremely happy to have feedback as it will ensure we get better. I am working closely with Good Old Gold and we agree the specialty cuts (Branded Diamonds) are too hidden, we will change this to be always displaying and test the filtering to ensure its more clear which shape is selected.

We are also discussing the ability to display the diamonds in a grid with photos but as a quick fix we will e adding the photographs to the right side on the hover.

I will be looking into your comments in detail, we want nothing more than a flawless experience for Good Old Gold Clients and I truly thank you for taking the time to write these comments.

- John
Ideal Evolved
www.idealbrandmarketing.com

Great, this sounds promising.
Im also really impressed by you answering and so quickly! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1463341438|4032028 said:
Hmmm, maybe they need to get a more managed website where the company managing it tests the results and charges likewise. GOG could then add 8% to the price of each diamond to pay for it. It is Sunday anyway, wait until they have a chance to respond here before putting them down too much. At least this thread shows they have lots of willing customers!

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's Sunday. This search function has been up weeks if not months. And websites with reasonable prices like James Allen and blue Nile have amazing search functions, so your comment about a price increase doesn't seem to hold much water either.

idealbrand

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Pyramid, the life of a website designer / developer never seems to stop no matter what day, not that I am complaining I love what I do. We also have a team of approx 30 so we can get a lot done quickly and its not all me.

I am actually glad to hear some feedback, our clients success is so important and being that it is Sunday I can really focus without the phone ringing. I have been in touch with half a dozen people at Good Old Gold so together we are a really pro-active bunch. We are running over some changes and should see some things done as early as tonight. I am going to put together some mock designs of some possible changes, I would love to hear some feedback to ensure we are going in the right direction.

Thanks again everyone!

- John

idealbrand

Rough_Rock
Trade
There is no price increase, pricing isn't a factor just getting this done right is our goal.

- John

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Two hours ago I emailed Jonathan about this thread.
He said he got his IT folks on it.
Very responsive! :appl:

I love GOG and it pains me to see their website harming their business.

Repeat ... test on civilians ... test on civilians ...
Using people who already know a lot about diamonds or about websites and web design to test a diamond website won't find the problems.
Such people know too much.
The most knowledgeable people can be the worst people to proofread things that are targeted to people who are not-knowledgeable.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how you'd find these total NOOBs.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1463342114|4032037 said:

Two hours ago I emailed Jonathan about this thread.
He said he got his IT folks on it.
Very responsive! :appl:

I love GOG and it pains me to see their website harming their business.

Repeat ... test on civilians ... test on civilians ...
Using people who already know a lot about diamonds or about websites and web design to test a diamond website won't find the problems.
Such people know too much.
The most knowledgeable people can be the worst people to proofread things that are targeted to people who are not-knowledgeable.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how you'd find these total NOOBs.

:clap:

idealbrand

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Again,

The attachment is a rough draft of how the shape menu will look, essentially always displaying the diamond shapes.

We are discussing the best way to select the shape and I would love any feedback on it. Essentially we can have all branded shapes which are round display when you click round, or we can have only traditional rounds display when you select round and the branded shapes display as they are clicked. The search is a multiple select meaning you can click round and princess and compare the diamonds side by side, this is especially useful for the people whom are undecided and because round is generally the most expensive shape its interesting to compare a 1 carat side by side.

I'm continuing to work on more features and I'm thrilled to share it with you devout Good Old Gold Clients / Fans. Once again we are nothing but grateful for your feedback.

- John

gog-diam1.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the whole thing sucks now, for every one person that I showed other cheaper or more suitable stones from competing venders on here there are another two people that I used to link exclusively or refer to GOG. Your slow incompetent website development has meant that the company has lost a month or more of links or referrals from here to new people looking for these stones. And I am not making this up. I can think of at least 4 instances on RT where I have gone to link a stone for someone and I am now unable to do it one or two of those times I just linked the general website the other two or three times I didn't bother.

I am sure they are spending a large amount of money with your IT company. Fix it, GOG is losing business.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
idealbrand|1463347233|4032062 said:
Sorry maybe I'm just new with PriceScope, it seemed to condense the size of the image. I have posted it online at the following url to ensure everyone can see it at the proper size. http://www.goodoldgold.com/mock/gog-diam1.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately PS's software shrinks every image down, both in physical size and in resolution.
As a photographer it drives me nuts.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you did a poll on here I would think 90% or more would say they liked the old website better. One thing sticks out is the speed at finding a diamond was much faster before. For people linking or recommending stones, for new people looking for a stone, for people like Kenny and myself that just like to check out new stones.

Now it's impossible to do that, all internet customers need to be able to look at their stock with ease. One of the things that made GOG a great site before was it wasn't just a generic jewellery site, so making it look more like a badly designed version of one of BlueNile or other larger competitors stores search engines when you search for stones/stock isn't necessarily a good thing IMHO.

Lenapie

Rough_Rock
Echoing everyone else's opinions -- definitely liked the old website better, even if it didn't look as modern. It was simple and straight-forward. I loved how you could immediately see the photo of each diamond, without having to look at the specs closely. This is great for people who are looking for a certain ratio of their type of stone, such as a more elongated AVC or a more square one.

I've also been having trouble finding some rings that were on the old website. Some three stone rings, to be exact, that doesn't seem to exist anymore on this new website. I also cannot find the melee stones section anymore.

On the bright side, it's great to know you guys are working on it. I'm hoping for a prompt and efficient fix for the website, as I (and I'm sure tons of others) love to browse through GOG's inventory.

Edited to add: If someone could do some double-checking to make sure listings have their correct corresponding support paperwork/photos, that'd be great, too. There are some listings that have wrong AGS reports and incorrect real photos, such as this one (not sure if link will work): http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.24-H&A-I-AGS-J-VS2-diamond-stock-14311-cert-104070691003

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the market for a trade-in now with GOG. The only way I found my diamond was because I knew the exact one I wanted and was able to sort by size. Ease of use and not having to be overly computer savvy to search for diamonds would be essential for not chasing people away to another more user-friendly site.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The education articles are missing half the content too! I hate the change. I used to be ablt to link folks to the clarity articles in SI and VS stones. Now they are missing. Add that to not being able to find a dratted stone at all and the site is completely unusable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results