shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG vs BGD on DIAMOND OVERALL QUALITY?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I'm personally ok with 14k because I find it resists scratches better than 18k. In white, I don't see a big difference in color.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No Sosafera doesn't have the best light performance. It just has more facets-- more facets mean different not better performance. It reflects light differently than Hearts and Arrows stones and kinda similarly to melee diamonds. I've seen a similar diamond in a halo and I don't care for the look because it's too similar to the performance of the melee diamonds (smaller faster flashes of light) and it ends up looking like a cluster ring instead of a key stone and a halo. I think since you are putting such a large halo around it you would be best off with a standard hearts and arrows diamond. :wavey:

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Thank you. All points above well noted!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think 14k is fine as well, especially if you are trying to maximize your budget elsewhere.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1333072236|3159594 said:
I think 14k is fine as well, especially if you are trying to maximize your budget elsewhere.

It can be. If you are thinking of a BGD setting. They won't work in 14k, especially for pave though.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
stargurl78|1333072236|3159594 said:

It can be. If you are thinking of a BGD setting. They won't work in 14k, especially for pave though.

Thanks Gypsy, I forgot about that!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
scottylmt|1333058307|3159429 said:
Of those two, is there a better choice?

18k vs. platinum is really a personal preference kind of thing since they each have pluses and minuses (rhodium plating for white gold, patina for plat, etc.). For something as important as a permanent engagement ring setting, I wouldn't do 14k.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on which platinum alloy they are using. I prefer platinum, but I will only buy two combinations of alloys. If you go custom, I am pretty sure BG works in platinum/ruthenium which is good. 18k white gold can be more durable than 14k (even though it is different with yellow gold), and I agree with ruby that you want a fine metal for a wedding set.

Also, yes, you can't compare a Solasfera to a regular hearts and arrows diamond. I think they often have top light return, but you can't use their ASET to compare to a different cut.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
This subject has been a concern for me, so thank you ladies. Anybody else on 14, 18 and platinum?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1333075547|3159625 said:
If you really want to learn about the topic, here is a great article!

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry

I prefer the 900platinum/iridium or the 950platinum/ruthenium because they are more scratch resistant and therefore stay shiny longer.

I'd probably choose the 18k palladium white gold if I couldn't do platinum.

BGD and most vendors won't work with palladium at all. In fact I know of no major PS vendor that will. One of the alloys like Stuller X1 is a probably a more reasonable recommendation, as some vendors will work with it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
webdiva|1333065340|3159501 said:
I'm personally ok with 14k because I find it resists scratches better than 18k. In white, I don't see a big difference in color.

Ditto. Also, it's less likely to yellow, since it has less gold content.

I've had both 18k and 14k, and I much prefer how the 14k wears!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1333077254|3159643 said:
webdiva|1333065340|3159501 said:

Ditto. Also, it's less likely to yellow, since it has less gold content.

I've had both 18k and 14k, and I much prefer how the 14k wears!

I used to have an 14k setting (no pave though) and I was fine with it. It was cast as well. I don't know if I would pick it for pave though.

Sparkle524

Shiny_Rock
thbmok|1332982675|3158714 said:
The branded cuts tend to stick with AGS as it offers a somewhat more informative and restrictive cut grade. In terms of color and clarity grading, the cutters who frequent PS suggest that GIA is marginally stricter with color and AGS is marginally stricter with clarity.

I am a newbie but from my meeting with the appraiser today the color thing is correct. GOG sent me a G SI1 AGS 000. On the colorimeter it showed that the color was an H!!!! The F from WF with is GIA XXX showed up as a F. I would have your diamond placed on the colorimeter as well just to be sure.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
No Sosafera doesn't have the best light performance. It just has more facets-- more facets mean different not better performance. It reflects light differently than Hearts and Arrows stones and kinda similarly to melee diamonds. I've seen a similar diamond in a halo and I don't care for the look because it's too similar to the performance of the melee diamonds (smaller faster flashes of light) and it ends up looking like a cluster ring instead of a key stone and a halo. I think since you are putting such a large halo around it you would be best off with a standard hearts and arrows diamond. :wavey:

I have a solasfera and I actually agree with this. More facets can look a little busy in carat weights less than 1.5.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1333075815|3159629 said:
diamondseeker2006|1333075547|3159625 said:
If you really want to learn about the topic, here is a great article!

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry

I prefer the 900platinum/iridium or the 950platinum/ruthenium because they are more scratch resistant and therefore stay shiny longer.

I'd probably choose the 18k palladium white gold if I couldn't do platinum.

BGD and most vendors won't work with palladium at all. In fact I know of no major PS vendor that will. One of the alloys like Stuller X1 is a probably a more reasonable recommendation, as some vendors will work with it.

Gypsy, please note that I was saying white gold with palladium alloy instead of nickel, which some people are allergic to. Surely BG will do palladium wg. If not, I am positive WhiteFlash will. (But I don't specifically know what either use or prefer for pave.)

I actually would not choose palladium.

This is actually an old thread where Garry prefers more alloy in white gold to make it whiter, but note that he does not use nickel. Also, Etienne Perret says do not use nickel. I am deliberating about having my diamond huggies remade in wg/palladium alloy.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/19k-white-gold-v-s-platinum-help-needed-asap-_.53815/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/19k-white-gold-v-s-platinum-help-needed-asap-_.53815/[/URL]

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
There have been quite a few great ideas posted, can't wait to see which one you choose! I vote stock setting and the extra money going towards the diamond.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Ok so im waiting to hear BGD specs on metals...

I also re-confirmed last night that she is more interested in the ENTIRE piece than the size of the center stone, and she said again the Helzeberg one was perfect, but she thought I would have always felt I could've done better. But she loved the way it all worked together.

While im waiting. Jonathan sent me this diamond and insists it doesn't have visible inclusions. Im going to point out what I see, from only the naked eye pic, and you ladies please tell me if you think im wrong.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2261/

A black spot in between the 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock arrows, near the 11 arrow base.

A white spot in the 12 o'clock arrow, very tiny like a pin prick.

A carbon spot just under the tip of the 3 o clock arrow.

Would you call that stone eye clean???
There is no doubt the light specs are among the best, and the price is amazing, but I can definitely see those I pointed out. I understand the untouched picture is a close up, but do you think I would be able to see that from 9-12 inches?

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
What did Jonathon say about eye clean? Remember the stone you are looking at is highly magnified AND on a computer monitor. In real like it will be sparkling like mad and 5.68mm. Cut a piece of paper in a circle that size and put it next to your monitor to get an idea how deceiving the pictures can be!
IMO..he bigger the stone the easier to spot things , the smaller stones that are well cut are firecrakers and throw off so much sparkle they hide things anyway. :wink2:

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
That is an excellent point. I actually was going to ask about the size because of that.

My main concern, is she will be looking at it the most at work, in diffuse lighting. So it wont be "performing" and distracting with fire the majority of the time she looks at it. So im worried because once she sees those two carbon spots, the jig is up!

I requested a picture at 9-12", I hope he will deliver.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
scottylmt|1333136213|3160078 said:
That is an excellent point. I actually was going to ask about the size because of that.

My main concern, is she will be looking at it the most at work, in diffuse lighting. So it wont be "performing" and distracting with fire the majority of the time she looks at it. So im worried because once she sees those two carbon spots, the jig is up!

I requested a picture at 9-12", I hope he will deliver.

I have a hard time seeing the inclusions in the picture, so I'm sure I wouldn't see them at all in real life no matter how close I was to it.
And I guess because of the setting you like, it will cover the sides so you don't have to worry about seeing inclusions from the side.

If Jon makes a video he usually shows the diamonds in all types of lighting so you can see how it performs in diffused lighting, natural sunlight and spot lighting. I think he uses a macro lens and you can ask him to try to show you the inclusions in the video.

It is a gorgeous stone!

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Ok, so he did deliver, and FAST. I've got two pictures that I want to put up... taken from 5-6 inches with his good camera. PLEASE let me know what you think...

This one is regular office lighting...
GOG,%20D,%20SI1,%20.7--1.png

And this one is near a window natural light...
GOG,%20D,%20SI1,%20.7--2.png

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
scottylmt|1333139823|3160131 said:
Ok, so he did deliver, and FAST. I've got two pictures that I want to put up... taken from 5-6 inches with his good camera. PLEASE let me know what you think...

I don't see anything in those photos, and the stone still looks huge. Seriously, it is going to be smaller than a Bic pen cap in real life, not an inch wide, so a tiny inclusion in an inch wide photo is going to be minuscule in real life.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a great stone!

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Thank you. What do you think as far as overall value for the money?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, that GOG diamond is on spring sale. If you do decide you want that one, you'll want to put it on hold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results