shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG Video of the week... First prototype OEC Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 10:27:53 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Beautiful! I want one! But I could settle for the 1.30 G/VS2.
11.gif

As for the culet, I''m ambivalent. I think it looks great how it is, but I also love to see a small-medium culet in an OEC. I prefer a larger culet in an OMC/antique cushion instead of an OEC.

I hear ya J. We''re on the same page. Yanno ... none to medium culets are not visible to human vision. Large is when it gets slightly visible. This may be a good compromise. The next prototypes will have em.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 11:09:33 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I think these OECs are to die for! Jon .. you are not good for the pocket book with all these beauties you dangle in front of me!

hehe
31.gif

Also VR ... thank you for your kind words.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi decoded,

Date: 6/6/2009 11:22:07 PM
Author: decodelighted
1. When will these marvelous creatures be available?
27.gif

Production will officially begin when I know the demand is there.

2. Please, please, please cut them in small sizes -- .30-.50?
17.gif

They will.

3. Unless the 1 ct F-H variety is under 1K -- will continue to DREAM ON!
31.gif
9.gif

1ct F-H under 1k... yes ... I will join you in that dream because that''s the only place you or I will ever see those prices.
37.gif

Thank you kindly for the input and feedback ya''ll.

Warm regards,

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
The 5 ct has virtually zero cutlet. I was afraid of this. Sigh.

Otherwise, beautiful diamond and ring. Can this audience and market not get beyond the conventional expectation of having no cutlet? Even for a "chunky cushion"? That's disappointing.

Maybe not the feedback you wanted, but this is a point I've been making consistently. This falls into the "so close, but so far" category for me. I'll look at the OEC's some other time, thanks for posting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 1:20:36 AM
Author: Imdanny

Otherwise, beautiful diamond and ring. Can this audience and market not get beyond the conventional expectation of having no cutlet? Even for a ''chunky cushion''? That''s disappointing.

Maybe not the feedback you wanted, but this is a point I''ve been making consistently. This falls into the ''so close, but so far'' category for me. I''ll look at the OEC''s some other time, thanks for posting.

Huh?
33.gif
Danny, what exactly are you talking about? And why are you commenting on a thread about a video you haven''t watched?
To clarify, no diamond I''ve ever heard of has a cuTlet ok? Some do have a culet...
Also, all of the chunky cushions that GOG have had cut so far have a medium to large culet, which if you watch the video, is easily visible - so I am unclear as to what diamonds you are referring to?
What exactly than makes them "so close but so far"?...In the words of one horrible Aussie politician - Please explain??

Jon, to answer your query about the culets, I think what has been suggested by some here is a great happy medium - have the open to large ones in the OMC''s, but perhaps leave the OEC''s with pointed to small.
I think this than gives the two distinct flavours and choices, and will avoid the kozibe effect that some folks find unappealing in the oec''s (please, lovers of kozibe, notice I said Some folks ok!)..
9.gif

Personally, if I were to buy a vintage oec off of ebay or where ever, I quite like it to have the kozibe. But with these "precision" oec''s from GOG, for some reason no culet seems more appropriate (imho) - I guess it also contributes into bringing them into a class/make of their own, instead of simply being an "imitation" of old cuts, if that makes sense?

Perhaps a poll on who does/doesn''t like kozibe is in effect - anyone game?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
SPECTACULAR !!

I mean really Spectacular. Needs a culet though. Can you add in kozibe effect, too? I wouldn't see this as an imitation of an old cut. I'd see it as a cut done in the old style with added mega technology. How great is that !?!

I wonder if you can do some with culet & kozibe and some without. I think there might be a place for no culet and kozibe, which may appeal to those who are more used to a rb look and can't quite get their minds around the complete old look.

Your video is perfect. Best lights are outdoor diffuse and high indoor spotlight. It was great to have all the lightings, though, for a full picture of performance.

---

AJ - another kozibe fan here. Kozibe is the icing on the cake of a nice "old" stone. I thought most people liked kozibe effect. Do you know what people dislike about it?

Thanks.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:14:27 AM
Author: sonomacounty
SPECTACULAR !!

I mean really Spectacular. Needs a culet though. Can you add in kozibe effect, too? I wouldn''t see this as an imitation of an old cut. I''d see it as a cut done in the old style with added mega technology. How great is that !?!

I wonder if you can do some with culet & kozibe and some without. I think there might be a place for no culet and kozibe, which may appeal to those who are more used to a rb look and can''t quite get their minds around the complete old look.

---

AJ - another kozibe fan here. Kozibe is the icing on the cake of a nice ''old'' stone. I thought most people liked kozibe effect. Do you know what people dislike about it?

Thanks.

Hey sonoma -
no I don''t know, which is why I suggested a poll. I''ve just read mixed opinions on this forum over time (and also now this thread). I own two diamonds with kozibe and love it in both - but with Jon''s OEC''s, for some reason I would prefer them without - can''t put my finger on why, sorry!
But I believe, for GOG, it goes with his aim of "bringing the OEC into the 21st C'', and making them into a cut all of their own, (like I mentioned above), yanno?
I guess some with and some without is nice in theory - but not sure how easy would be for GOG in practice, I dunno..

Even without an open culet and kozibe, I don''t believe these could ever look like a regular RB though!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These old stones deserve antique reproduction filigree and hand engraved rings with the "look" of the 1900-1925 era. There is broad appeal for such diamonds combined with the sizzle of correct looking vintage mountings. I thnk you may be onto the fact that there are seekers of high quality who do not need to have an AGS0 Brand stamp of approval, but who want the special look of this style of cut properly combined with a mounting that makes the package period correct.... Best wishes!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BRAVO Jon, the end result is exquisite!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
-- Even without an open culet and kozibe, I don''t believe these could ever look like a regular RB though! --

And a wonderful thing it is. (No disrespect to rb lovers, here.)

Say, AJ, do you think you could do the poll thing on kozibe? I''ve never made a poll. Or I can try, if you wish.

Thanks.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 7:13:53 AM
-- Even without an open culet and kozibe, I don''t believe these could ever look like a regular RB though! --

And a wonderful thing it is. (No disrespect to rb lovers, here.)

Say, AJ, do you think you could do the poll thing on kozibe? I''ve never made a poll. Or I can try, if you wish.

Thanks.

Hey Sonoma, I will give it a go
5.gif

And hey, I''m an H&A lover (I *love* my Isee2), but these new cuts are extremely tempting!

Ditto to Lozza,
and Bravo Jon
36.gif

And also great point David - these diamonds do deserve appropriate mounts - hand cast and forged, with hand applied details like chasing and milgrain should be the name of the game.
Although, personally, I also love the look of a vintage chunky diamond set in a sleek modern setting, say Mark Morrell for example - for that reason, I agree these will have for sure a specific appeal to varied clients.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hey Sonoma and other posters,

poll created here

hopefully we get some informative results!
1.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for medium to large culets. I have a cushion with a slightly large culet and wish it were more noticible.

I can''t seem to think which one is more beautiful, the cushion or oec. I guess I''ll have to get both!
30.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
First off, I LOVE a good, in proportion, open culet. IMO that is one of the best things about old cuts.

Um a search on "cutlet" and "culet" on here came up with 300 (I think the max results) each. Which is correct?
33.gif

Second, the faceting directly under the table of the new ones looks like a ring of circles. Does that make any sense? For some reason it looks less "flowery" to me than the other OECs. That is not to say they are unattractive by any means, they are definitely gorgeous! Maybe that is just a byproduct of the better symmetry.

Ditto deco on the sizes...I think I need some earrings and a pendant!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2009 1:20:36 AM
Author: Imdanny

Otherwise, beautiful diamond and ring. Can this audience and market not get beyond the conventional expectation of having no cutlet? Even for a ''chunky cushion''? That''s disappointing.

Maybe not the feedback you wanted, but this is a point I''ve been making consistently. This falls into the ''so close, but so far'' category for me. I''ll look at the OEC''s some other time, thanks for posting.

5ct? Diamond *and ring*? Perhaps you''re responding to another thread?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2009 5:54:05 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 6/7/2009 4:14:27 AM

SPECTACULAR !!

I mean really Spectacular. Needs a culet though. Can you add in kozibe effect, too? I wouldn''t see this as an imitation of an old cut. I''d see it as a cut done in the old style with added mega technology. How great is that !?!

I wonder if you can do some with culet & kozibe and some without. I think there might be a place for no culet and kozibe, which may appeal to those who are more used to a rb look and can''t quite get their minds around the complete old look.

---

AJ - another kozibe fan here. Kozibe is the icing on the cake of a nice ''old'' stone. I thought most people liked kozibe effect. Do you know what people dislike about it?

Thanks.

Hey sonoma -

no I don''t know, which is why I suggested a poll. I''ve just read mixed opinions on this forum over time (and also now this thread). I own two diamonds with kozibe and love it in both - but with Jon''s OEC''s, for some reason I would prefer them without - can''t put my finger on why, sorry!

But I believe, for GOG, it goes with his aim of ''bringing the OEC into the 21st C'', and making them into a cut all of their own, (like I mentioned above), yanno?

I guess some with and some without is nice in theory - but not sure how easy would be for GOG in practice, I dunno..

Even without an open culet and kozibe, I don''t believe these could ever look like a regular RB though!

Since it is easier to add culets after the fact (rather than begin with one and take it away) I could by default cut them without culets and if folks wanted them can simply polish the pointed culets into whatever size a person wanted. That''d change the lab report though but I could make notation on its appraisal report.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2009 6:36:34 AM
Author: oldminer
These old stones deserve antique reproduction filigree and hand engraved rings with the ''look'' of the 1900-1925 era. There is broad appeal for such diamonds combined with the sizzle of correct looking vintage mountings. I thnk you may be onto the fact that there are seekers of high quality who do not need to have an AGS0 Brand stamp of approval, but who want the special look of this style of cut properly combined with a mounting that makes the package period correct.... Best wishes!

Thanks a lot Dave and yea ... I''m thinking Tacori, Sheldon Spyer and perhaps looking into the Van Craynest settings. They''d compliment these just awesome.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! I would take one too.

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
I don''t mean to revive an old thread. But a multitude of cascading events led me here after stumbing upon an introduction to GOG and somehow to the debut of the GOG prototype OEC. I have to say that it looks amazing and special. I''ve never been so excited over a diamond. I can''t help but watch the video over and over (I''m embarrassed about my contribution to the vimeo counter).

I always wondered how I might be able to find an affordable unique ring (in my eyes) to suit the love of my life. I''ve looked at all the various factors and sought after strong flourescence or even oddly shaped impurities. I think this might be the diamond I''ve been looking for! AND my girlfriend (of many years) likes vintage style rings.

Luckily for me, I''m making a trip to NY in August; so hopefully I can find my way over to GOG and allow my retinas to take in the full impact.

yes, I did join the forum just so that I could share. ha!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 5:23:54 AM
Author: MatchMadeInCarbon
I don''t mean to revive an old thread. But a multitude of cascading events led me here after stumbing upon an introduction to GOG and somehow to the debut of the GOG prototype OEC. I have to say that it looks amazing and special. I''ve never been so excited over a diamond. I can''t help but watch the video over and over (I''m embarrassed about my contribution to the vimeo counter).

I always wondered how I might be able to find an affordable unique ring (in my eyes) to suit the love of my life. I''ve looked at all the various factors and sought after strong flourescence or even oddly shaped impurities. I think this might be the diamond I''ve been looking for! AND my girlfriend (of many years) likes vintage style rings.

Luckily for me, I''m making a trip to NY in August; so hopefully I can find my way over to GOG and allow my retinas to take in the full impact.

yes, I did join the forum just so that I could share. ha!
9.gif
Good for you, welcome!

Please come back and share your experience after your (lucky) visit. we''d love to hear your thoughts!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan,

Congratulations! https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/36.gif The OEC is amazing - I liked the play in the diffuse light better than the cushion (which I thought wouldn''t be possible) and much better than the H&A. Those chunky flashes are spectacular.

I can''t wait to see the next generation. Will you trim the culet in that generation? What impact will it have on the optics? I really enjoyed your explanation of the AGS grading and how that won''t apply so well to this cut - a great topic (blue isn''t always dark reflection) that you might expound on some day in your free time. I think others might find that useful, particularly the consumers (like me) on the site.

BTW: if you had these 2 weeks ago when we visited I might have chosen one of those instead of the 2 we selected (I still don''t know which one Joe chose, so please help him keep the secret). Please tell me you will eventually make your way to a signature asscher. ;-)

Great work - and keep them coming!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lord willing the next prototype will be here end of this week/beginning of next. I''ve incorporated some minor changes but the overall *flavor* is definitely still there.
18.gif
Bold, broad, bright fiery chunky flash. On this next proto coming in I didn''t put on a culet as I can add that easy and at my discretion or upon request. One interesting point of note ... putting on a culet reduces "depth %" while leaving it on adds. I generally don''t even think about this as all our diamonds fall within a general depth % but taking a step back in time to a more golden era has me thinking differently as I try to incorporate what we learn with modern technology and fuse it with old world charm. Past meets present.
37.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 9:01:08 PM
Author: marcyc
I''m with marcy- I''ll take one too,,, in the .30-.50 ct range... yummy! I''ve been peeking through your site...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 6:41:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
BRAVO Jon, the end result is exquisite!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ll second that! And I''d leave the culet pointed, but that''s just my personal preference.
5.gif

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
That was a great video! Thanks for sharing!

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Hi Jonothan,

I''ll send you another congratulations. I haven''t been watching the industry until this past year, but this is quite exciting for me. So it looks like a couple weeks between prototypes... By August I hope to have a couple to look at and maybe take home! ;-)

Can''t wait to see how your latest will turn out-

Best

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 4:09:06 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 6/7/2009 9:01:08 PM
Author: marcyc
I'm with marcy- I'll take one too,,, in the .30-.50 ct range... yummy! I've been peeking through your site...
Another interested customer in an OEC that size here. And warmer colors welcome too
1.gif

They're simply exquisite!

ETA: I was looking at GOG's signature cushions too - if I currently had the money, I would totally snatch up that 0.71 F VS2 Signature cushion. And send it off to Jim Meyer. In a heartbeat.
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q for Jon...
assuming they are cut from the same rough.which one would yield more weight,your classic H&A or your new OEC?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/16/2009 7:05:49 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Q for Jon...

assuming they are cut from the same rough.which one would yield more weight,your classic H&A or your new OEC?

HI DF,

Good question and your answer depends upon the final model I *see* as best in all possible lighting environments. To expound ... the first model I had cut resulted in a conservative depth (mid 61%/low 62% range) with a pointed culet. Their proportions were in the zone of 40.8 pavilion angles, 35 crown, 55-56 table ... primary differences being in the lower half length/star ratios. The yield between those and H&A would be the same.

My next prototype which has slightly different lower half length (though still very short) is being cut now and alters proportions slightly, 35/41 and lowers the table (=50%)>

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/16/2009 5:25:02 PM
Author: MatchMadeInCarbon
Hi Jonothan,

I''ll send you another congratulations. I haven''t been watching the industry until this past year, but this is quite exciting for me. So it looks like a couple weeks between prototypes... By August I hope to have a couple to look at and maybe take home! ;-)

Can''t wait to see how your latest will turn out-

Best

Greetings MatchMadeinCarbon,

By August I hope to have finally decided on final facet measurements and proportion set and at that time hope to have at least my first production in stock. At this point in time this is still in an experimental test phase for me. If I get similar reaction to these as we are with our newest cushions they will become a staple in our inventory. I am looking to stock upon first production a decent selection of diamonds in each range (1/2ct, 3/4ct, 1ct, 1 1/4ct, 1.5ct, 1.7xct and 2ct). In the cushions people love the warmer colors and suggestions for these have been similar so we will see.

Thanks for your kind words and inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results