shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG Video of the week... First prototype OEC Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Eyes

Rough_Rock
Hi all, long time lurker here. I''m the one who snapped up the 0.82 F prototype. I''m having GOG put it into a custom WG scallop edged halo/bezel pendant. I was planning on treating myself to a solitaire pendant for Christmas but, erm, I guess Christmas came early this year! Funny how that happens.
27.gif

I''ve always loved the look of OECs but I''m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to colour and cut - I like my icy whites and H&As. I''m pretty indifferent about culet, although being in the OEC wasteland that is Australia I''ve never had the pleasure of viewing an OEC in person before so maybe I''ll change my mind once I see it.

If I love it half as much as I think I will I''ll have more on my shopping list for sure. I''d love a D VS2 ~0.9ct with 2 x ~0.2ct for side stones, *cough* *cough*
12.gif

I''ll be sure to post pics when the pendant arrives, which is hopefully SOON!
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 4:32:15 AM
Author: Diamond Eyes
Hi all, long time lurker here. I''m the one who snapped up the 0.82 F prototype. I''m having GOG put it into a custom WG scallop edged halo/bezel pendant. I was planning on treating myself to a solitaire pendant for Christmas but, erm, I guess Christmas came early this year! Funny how that happens.
27.gif

I''ve always loved the look of OECs but I''m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to colour and cut - I like my icy whites and H&As. I''m pretty indifferent about culet, although being in the OEC wasteland that is Australia I''ve never had the pleasure of viewing an OEC in person before so maybe I''ll change my mind once I see it.

If I love it half as much as I think I will I''ll have more on my shopping list for sure. I''d love a D VS2 ~0.9ct with 2 x ~0.2ct for side stones, *cough* *cough*
12.gif

I''ll be sure to post pics when the pendant arrives, which is hopefully SOON!
5.gif

Hi Diamond eyes,
how exciting to hear that gorgeous stone was grabbed up by a fellow Aussie! I really like the sounds of your plans for it, pls promise to post lots of photos once it is finished.

I hear ya on the ''OEC wasteland'' here - I was in a store the other day where initially the guy claimed to have a ton of antique stones in his safe, than when I asked about them he commented "well, I''ve never heard of an old european cut"
20.gif
And this guy was at least 60y/o, could tell he thought he knew it all, yanno?
I''m sure if I ever use the abbreviation of OEC or OMC their heads will explode, lol !

Like me , you are lucky to have found PS and GOG,I hope you continue posting and share your future projects with us
5.gif

Are you on the east or west btw? (or elsewhere!)..

Diamond Eyes

Rough_Rock
Hi arjunajane, I''m from Brisbane. Where are you?

I have an almost identical experience to you re looking for OECs. I went in to see a well established estate jeweller and diamond trader and asked if he had any Old European cuts. He looked at me blankly then said, "Oh, miner cuts? No, I don''t think I have any at all. They''re not very nice diamonds anyway, don''t worry." He was also in his 60s and I had found out previously that he''d been in the jewel business his whole life. He was really condescending towards me too, like I was making the term up. Ach!

Anyway, thank goodness for PS and GOG!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 10:32:24 PM
Author: Diamond Eyes
Hi arjunajane, I''m from Brisbane. Where are you?

I have an almost identical experience to you re looking for OECs. I went in to see a well established estate jeweller and diamond trader and asked if he had any Old European cuts. He looked at me blankly then said, ''Oh, miner cuts? No, I don''t think I have any at all. They''re not very nice diamonds anyway, don''t worry.'' He was also in his 60s and I had found out previously that he''d been in the jewel business his whole life. He was really condescending towards me too, like I was making the term up. Ach!

Anyway, thank goodness for PS and GOG!

Hi diamondeyes,
my apologies I didn''t see this post earlier!
If you''re still around, I''m in Perth.
But it looks like the industry is pretty much the same around the country, too funny
how your experience was just the same as mine!
20.gif

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
So I''m finally in NY. I spoke with a nice woman at GOG who said I can arrange an appointment with Jon to look at the chunky rounds! (I hope- she may have thought I was talking about the cushions)

I haven''t seen any updates from Jon regarding the latest cuts, so I''ll spark the early discussion as soon as I return.

:)

audball

Ideal_Rock
OMG! I''m SOOOOO excited to see this...I somehow missed it back in June. Recently having been DROOLING over the GOG Signature Chunky Cushions, I was tempted to post a "Calling RHINO!" thread to inquire about whether he intended to do the same with the OEC....glad to see it''s already in the works!!
36.gif

Jon--videos are BEAUTIFUL! As per your question early regarding culet, for the OEC I would prefer pointed-small, the larger in the OMC.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Last anticipated prototype arriving this week. I was expecting it earlier but vacations are happening in Antwerp which stalled things a tad but I was reassured it would be sent this week.

MatchMadeInCarbon ... I have 2 protos that are here for you to see.

FYI, we had a gentleman fly in today from CA who primarily came to see and compare H&A, Solasfera, Eighternity and Star129. Since he wanted to see every possible variety he could we wound up comparing one of these OEC prototypes to the others. It is a 1.20ct O SI1. He definitely wants to get a round that was not like what was more commonly being sold in way of 57 facet and after looking at them all is going OEC. The bold broad flash was hard to resist.
41.gif

I can''t wait to get the final proto and then anticipate beginning production. You''ll see em pop up and I''m sure they''ll be lots of comparison clips. I''m excited to get the first batch already.
3.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 11:46:23 PM
Author: Rhino
Last anticipated prototype arriving this week. I was expecting it earlier but vacations are happening in Antwerp which stalled things a tad but I was reassured it would be sent this week.

FYI, we had a gentleman fly in today from CA who primarily came to see and compare H&A, Solasfera, Eighternity and Star129. Since he wanted to see every possible variety he could we wound up comparing one of these OEC prototypes to the others. It is a 1.20ct O SI1. He definitely wants to get a round that was not like what was more commonly being sold in way of 57 facet and after looking at them all is going OEC. The bold broad flash was hard to resist.
41.gif

I can''t wait to get the final proto and then anticipate beginning production. You''ll see em pop up and I''m sure they''ll be lots of comparison clips. I''m excited to get the first batch already.
3.gif
Will they have Chicken Cutlet''s on them?
18.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock

3.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thank you Jonathan, can''t wait!!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2009 1:40:06 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

41.gif

3.gif
Will they have Chicken Cutlet''s on them?
18.gif

Actually I''d like to present a choice ... chicken or veal cutlet.
41.gif
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Excellent! I''m glad I''ll have a few diamonds to look at (I''m starting to memorize those old clips by now).

I''ll call in tomorrow to check the status on that last prototype, as well as arrange an appointment next week. It''ll take me about 1.5hr to get there and I''m trying to keep the girlfriend in the dark about this.

Thanks Jon- talk to you soon!
36.gif

audball

Ideal_Rock
Jon--I can''t wait to see the final prototype! Have you decided what you''re going to call these beauties???!!
30.gif
GOG Signature OEC?? I need to know how to search for them!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There will be a distinct search category for them and while we may begin with "Signature OEC" ... I''m currently brainstorming a more proper or romantic name that embodies the flavor and personality of these diamonds.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 9:33:02 PM
There will be a distinct search category for them and while we may begin with ''Signature OEC'' ... I''m currently brainstorming a more proper or romantic name that embodies the flavor and personality of these diamonds.
Can''t wait to hear what you come up with! In the meantime, I''ll definitely be on the lookout for the Signature OECs....
30.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
There will be a distinct search category for them and while we may begin with 'Signature OEC' ... I'm currently brainstorming a more proper or romantic name that embodies the flavor and personality of these diamonds.
I'm so glad to hear this! I've been trying to figure out how to search for them and have been anxiously waiting their appearance on the site.

I've started saving my pennies, so be ready to hear from me in, ummm....a few years, lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great news! Jon, you are killing me with all these "new" old cuts.
30.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 4:29:53 PM
Author: Chrono
This is great news! Jon, you are killing me with all these ''new'' old cuts.
30.gif
seriously! I''m not sure if I can resist the urge to get me one! for another anniversary
12.gif
of course

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 4:51:45 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 8/7/2009 4:29:53 PM

Author: Chrono

This is great news! Jon, you are killing me with all these ''new'' old cuts.
30.gif
seriously! I''m not sure if I can resist the urge to get me one! for another anniversary
12.gif
of course
Haha, seriously!

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Sooooo...

I''m a couple doors down from GOG and I just met with Jon. He said he was in process of publishing videos on the final prototype, so I don''t want to steal his thunder. BUT, I couldn''t wait to get home to expel some excitement.

First of all, Jon was great. I couldn''t agree more with all that has already been said about him here. He took plenty of time to just show me his goods, knowing that I was just there to look. I could go on; but I''ll just say, all the enthusiasm in the videos is real (and for good reason).

The final prototype OEC was more amazing in person than the older videos appeared. My career keeps me very skeptical so I didn''t entirely believe in this OEC (or Jon''s vids) until today. I wasn''t sure if I''d be able to see those broad flashes at a natural distance. When Jon first brought the OEC & a beautiful H&A, I spotted the OEC on my own from 3-4 feet away.

I''ll leave at that to build some well-deserved anticipation for the videos.

21.gif

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 1:18:53 PM
Author: MatchMadeInCarbon
Sooooo...

I''m a couple doors down from GOG and I just met with Jon. He said he was in process of publishing videos on the final prototype, so I don''t want to steal his thunder. BUT, I couldn''t wait to get home to expel some excitement.

First of all, Jon was great. I couldn''t agree more with all that has already been said about him here. He took plenty of time to just show me his goods, knowing that I was just there to look. I could go on; but I''ll just say, all the enthusiasm in the videos is real (and for good reason).

The final prototype OEC was more amazing in person than the older videos appeared. My career keeps me very skeptical so I didn''t entirely believe in this OEC (or Jon''s vids) until today. I wasn''t sure if I''d be able to see those broad flashes at a natural distance. When Jon first brought the OEC & a beautiful H&A, I spotted the OEC on my own from 3-4 feet away.

I''ll leave at that to build some well-deserved anticipation for the videos.

21.gif
This is SOOO exciting! I can''t wait to see the final product!
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just an update since this thread is rehashed.

From the first to the last protoypes a primary goal was improving the brightness between the mains (where the upper/lower halves collect and reflect light).

We did accomplish this and shot a video demonstrating it (on YouTube) recently. I also recently published a clip (19 minutes on Vimeo) after taking the diamond home and examining it in an array of lighting environments. While happy with the improvements there was a little too much darkness under the table in some lighting environments which I wanted to minimize. I acquired an OEC that does this and what I anticipate to be the last prototype is being cut and sent to me asap for final approval. Not only is brightness increased but fire and sparkle under the table as well.
30.gif
I want this to be as perfect as I can get it as we go into production.

MatchMadeinCarbon ... the end result will be even more beautiful than what you saw.
3.gif
My last clip on Vimeo shows what the result will look like.

All the best,

audball

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting....*off to find new vids*
36.gif

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Exciting indeed! - I saw another thread following the new updates (in the "Show Me the Ring" section) where the original poster was introduced to the latest prototype and changed his/her mind. If you''re looking for the vids, google "vimeo rhino''s school of rock." vimeo shows Jon''s stuff in high quality.

Jon, I saw the short comparison video & was surprised to see the major impact your tweak made! I didn''t think I could like it even more. I can''t wait to get home to catch the 20 min. vid (been waiting for it since we met last week).

Thanks for keeping the handle name - the future fiance is on to me I believe!!!

MMIC

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I got to see all these beautiful OECs this weekend live! I am super excited to see GOG''s progress.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
There will be a distinct search category for them and while we may begin with ''Signature OEC'' ... I''m currently brainstorming a more proper or romantic name that embodies the flavor and personality of these diamonds.

Why not just call the new cuts "the Romance Collection"

GoSharks

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:37:30 PM
Author: Sizzle

Why not just call the new cuts ''the Romance Collection''

I''m not sure he was fishing for recommendations, but taking a crack at it too, and given the new stones do seem to be suited for fire... A Phoenix is a:

Mythical fire bird, that lives forever, and is a symbol for the rebirth/return of something.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:35:54 AM
Author: GoSharks

Date: 8/18/2009 10:37:30 PM
Author: Sizzle

Why not just call the new cuts ''the Romance Collection''

I''m not sure he was fishing for recommendations, but taking a crack at it too, and given the new stones do seem to be suited for fire... A Phoenix is a:

Mythical fire bird, that lives forever, and is a symbol for the rebirth/return of something.
Hmm, I kind of like that GoSharks...seems fitting. Though I''d love them all the same no matter what the name...
30.gif

GoodBishop

Rough_Rock
I just saw the vids, and I have to say, WOW!

That is all.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results