MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for diamonds within these parameters:

Table 55-57%
Crown angle 34 degrees - 35 degrees
Pavillion angle 40.6 degrees - 40.9 degrees
Total depth - Less than 62.2%

These numbers will help narrow down your search to diamonds that are better cut. I think you are just looking through various diamonds without any guidelines on what to look for in a well cut and performing diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also wonder would cloud or additional cloud make the diamond look milky/hazy? Would faint fluorescent affect light performance much or make the diamond look milky?

Faint fluor won't have an effect. It's really only a potential issue with strong or very strong fluor.

"Clarity based on additional clouds not shown" is a huge red flag on any stone less than VVS clarity (in my opinion)

BL218

Rough_Rock
Faint fluor won't have an effect. It's really only a potential issue with strong or very strong fluor.

"Clarity based on additional clouds not shown" is a huge red flag on any stone less than VVS clarity (in my opinion)

“Clarity based on additional cloud not shown” is different from just “additional cloud is not show”?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Clarity based on additional cloud not shown” is different from just “additional cloud is not show”?

Yes. Additonal clouds not shown just means they are plotted.

BL218

Rough_Rock
Yes. Additonal clouds not shown just means they are plotted.

Would think additional cloud is not shown is not a big deal for VS or above right

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would think additional cloud is not shown is not a big deal for VS or above right

Not necessarily. It depends on the stone. The biggest inclusions are listed first, and more minor ones are listed after.

BL218

Rough_Rock
I don't think surface graining would affect performance in the first one, especially with it being a VVS2. I like the first one best.

The one you just posted has poor cut precision and symmetry.

Why do you like the first one the most? Because of the size and better clarity?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually when people prefer a diamond around these parts it’s because the cut is superior.

I keep seeing you comment on how bright a diamond looks in the videos. That is not relevant information as a few people have told you now. When we look at the videos we are looking at cut quality that we know translates to real world superior optics — we are looking for signs that the cutting is very precise and symmetrical, we are looking at the patterns of lights and darks across the face of the diamond, we are looking for signs of darkness between the bases of the arrows or large blobs or darkness at the ends of the arrows (bad signs). The videos show cut quality in all of those respects, which in turn translate into brightness and fire and scintillation in real life. But you cannot just look at the video and judge “brightness” because the videos are not all taken in the same lighting and because the videos are taken in a light box to show faceting, and you don’t live in a light box!

We are also looking at the angles on the lab reports to see if they are complimentary.

You can learn to recognize these things we are talking about by reading 100s of old threads with people asking the same thing you are asking, and then looking and comparing the stones that posters reject or recommend, and learning to recognize the signs of good and bad cut. And you can use the cheat sheet that MissGotRocks posted.

BL218

Rough_Rock
Usually when people prefer a diamond around these parts it’s because the cut is superior.

I keep seeing you comment on how bright a diamond looks in the videos. That is not relevant information as a few people have told you now. When we look at the videos we are looking at cut quality that we know translates to real world superior optics — we are looking for signs that the cutting is very precise and symmetrical, we are looking at the patterns of lights and darks across the face of the diamond, we are looking for signs of darkness between the bases of the arrows or large blobs or darkness at the ends of the arrows (bad signs). The videos show cut quality in all of those respects, which in turn translate into brightness and fire and scintillation in real life. But you cannot just look at the video and judge “brightness” because the videos are not all taken in the same lighting and because the videos are taken in a light box to show faceting, and you don’t live in a light box!

We are also looking at the angles on the lab reports to see if they are complimentary.

You can learn to recognize these things we are talking about by reading 100s of old threads with people asking the same thing you are asking, and then looking and comparing the stones that posters reject or recommend, and learning to recognize the signs of good and bad cut. And you can use the cheat sheet that MissGotRocks posted.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! Think I am a lot more clear now after the advice from all of you and became more ready to pick my stone.

As additional cloud comes the first in the GIA comment, would that have a noticeable impact?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which diamond are you referring to this time? Do you have a link to the diamond or the GIA cert for it? We cannot tell you anything concrete based on a video alone.

BL218

Rough_Rock
Which diamond are you referring to this time? Do you have a link to the diamond or the GIA cert for it? We cannot tell you anything concrete based on a video alone.

I am talking about the first diamond that Dreamer_D suggested.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one?

We have already told you multiple times that this stone is highly unlikely to have clarity issues because of vvs2

BL218

Rough_Rock
This one?

We have already told you multiple times that this stone is highly unlikely to have clarity issues because of vvs2

Yea I believe so too. Just that I saw your note that biggest inclusion would be listed first so I wanna understand more. Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cloud is listed as the first inclusion. A note is made about additional clouds, pinpoints and surface graining. It does not appear to be a problem particularly in a VVS graded diamond. The diamond is listed now as not available - did you purchase it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results