Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA v IGI

njones16

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 20, 2016
Messages
48
I've only been searching for GIA diamonds for my engagement ring but have spotted what seems a great IGI diamond.

Is GIA the Holy Grail or is IGI also very reliable/accurate?

Any help greatly appreciated!
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,639
njones16|1474356111|4078699 said:
I've only been searching for GIA diamonds for my engagement ring but have spotted what seems a great IGI diamond.

Is GIA the Holy Grail or is IGI also very reliable/accurate?

Any help greatly appreciated!
GIA and AGS are the Holy Grail...IGI, No, and not reliable.
 

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
926
IGI is not as reliable as GIA, but it's a big step up from EGL and all the mystery labs out there.

IGI is mostly used to grade large quantities of less than exciting stones, and it's also one of only a couple of options for synthetic diamonds.

There are cases where someone might consider an IGI diamonds and even EGL diamonds, but they are special cases and you're probably not one. Stick to GIA, as said.
 

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Messages
7,160
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474388194|4078846 said:
I'm a snob but having worked with every lab possible, GIA is the lab I trust the most. They are the most rigorous on color and grade and while AGS may be close behind, I still like the consistency of the GIA.
Is there any solid evidence for the claim that AGS is softer on colour than GIA?

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before but I don't think I've seen any empirical analysis.
 

Wink

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
7,471
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474390756|4078873 said:
OoohShiny|1474388983|4078858 said:
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474388194|4078846 said:
I'm a snob but having worked with every lab possible, GIA is the lab I trust the most. They are the most rigorous on color and grade and while AGS may be close behind, I still like the consistency of the GIA.
Is there any solid evidence for the claim that AGS is softer on colour than GIA?

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before but I don't think I've seen any empirical analysis.
From my experience in store. We had 2 stones that were AGS that we then sent to the GIA for certifications and 1 was 2 colors off and the other was 1 off. Maybe not a big deal but when there is a price difference for a higher color grade, I'd go with the GIA. When we get an AGS cert for a stone that we are not interested in getting cert'ed by GIA, we typically communicate the lower color grade.
I frequently see posts like this, but they mystify me? AGS has ONE laboratory and is recognized by those in the wholesale trade to be much more consistent than GIA with several laboratories around the world and massive issues with consistency as they are constantly hiring and training new employees to keep up with their ever increasing workload. There is currently a whole industry sector that "shops" their GIA reports around the various labs until they get the grade they want if they did not get it from the first lab.

John Pollard wrote an excellent post about GIA and AGS reports as can be seen here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017[/URL]

Wink

P.S. Because of GIA's poor cut grading system, I actually rely on AGS for accurate cut grading, while somewhere around 60% of all diamonds on the market are graded as having Excellent cut by GIA. All of us, both vendors and consumers, who think cutting is the most important of the four C's know this to be absurd.
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
The biggest problem is that igi reports vary from totally awful to not all that bad depending on which lab and report.
If there is a $ value listed on the report, the paper is useful as very poor toilet paper and not much else.
 

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 18, 2014
Messages
344
Karl_K|1474433313|4079111 said:
The biggest problem is that igi reports vary from totally awful to not all that bad depending on which lab and report.
If there is a $ value listed on the report, the paper is useful as very poor toilet paper and not much else.
Which lab locations and reports are good? IGI NYC and any diamond certificate that isn't an appraisal?
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,475
Skhii|1474441177|4079123 said:
Karl_K|1474433313|4079111 said:
The biggest problem is that igi reports vary from totally awful to not all that bad depending on which lab and report.
If there is a $ value listed on the report, the paper is useful as very poor toilet paper and not much else.
Which lab locations and reports are good? IGI NYC and any diamond certificate that isn't an appraisal?
I think a member said IGI from HK is good.
 

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Messages
7,160
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474390756|4078873 said:
OoohShiny|1474388983|4078858 said:
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474388194|4078846 said:
I'm a snob but having worked with every lab possible, GIA is the lab I trust the most. They are the most rigorous on color and grade and while AGS may be close behind, I still like the consistency of the GIA.
Is there any solid evidence for the claim that AGS is softer on colour than GIA?

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before but I don't think I've seen any empirical analysis.
From my experience in store. We had 2 stones that were AGS that we then sent to the GIA for certifications and 1 was 2 colors off and the other was 1 off. Maybe not a big deal but when there is a price difference for a higher color grade, I'd go with the GIA. When we get an AGS cert for a stone that we are not interested in getting cert'ed by GIA, we typically communicate the lower color grade.
Apologies - I'm not quite sure I understand this last sentence.

You are saying that sometimes you get AGS stones that you don't want to get graded by GIA - therefore you only have one certificate?

But then you are saying that you 'typically communicate the lower color grade' - but you only have one grade you could communicate?

I am confused. :???:
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
Skhii|1474441177|4079123 said:
Karl_K|1474433313|4079111 said:
The biggest problem is that igi reports vary from totally awful to not all that bad depending on which lab and report.
If there is a $ value listed on the report, the paper is useful as very poor toilet paper and not much else.
Which lab locations and reports are good? IGI NYC and any diamond certificate that isn't an appraisal?
igi labs in the usa are considered the weakest of the igi labs.
The HK lab is probably the most respected last I heard.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top