shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus intense?

dnilson

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
26
In looking at emeralds with GIA certs. I'm very confused about the enhancement information and the differences between F1, F2, F3 and F4. I assume F1 means oil. But what do the others mean? I wish they would provide more specific information. For example, I have found several really beautiful stones that are labeled F2, but they don't explain what that means. Could someone please clarify this?

Also, no matter how many emeralds I look at, I still don't understand the difference between a stone that is "vivid green", versus a stone that is "intense green". I've seen several stones that were listed next to each other with one being a vivid green and the other being an intense green. They look exactly the same!?!?!? Also, I am not color blind...I've been tested. Lastly, which is more valuable...vivid or intense? Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide. :mrgreen:

One last question. For long term investment purposes (I'm just curios as these will become family heirlooms), does the stone need to be a certain size to be considered investment grade? For example, would a 2 carat, high quality, colombian stone, appreciate in value? Or would it need to be 3 or 4+ carats? Obviously, the larger the stone, the better the investment. I'm just wondering if there is a certain minimum size that qualifies as investment grade.
 

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
298
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

dnilson|1378252333|3514215 said:
In looking at emeralds with GIA certs. I'm very confused about the enhancement information and the differences between F1, F2, F3 and F4. I assume F1 means oil. But what do the others mean? I wish they would provide more specific information. For example, I have found several really beautiful stones that are labeled F2, but they don't explain what that means. Could someone please clarify this?
Hi dnilson, well I see we're still working through Emeralds!

In GIA terms for Emeralds that have been treated, they separate into two categories; Fissures and Cavities. Generally speaking, Fissures are smaller, while Cavities are larger. I suspect there is a fine line between them, but is unlikely to be deciphered by the lay person.

When it comes to the filling placed into Fissures or Cavities, both are classified into 3 categories: Minor/Moderate/Significant. Then GIA uses an alpha-numeric system to indicate the amount of resin, oil or wax in them.

So it would read like this:
Fissures F1, F2, F3 or F4 - or for Cavities C1, C2, C3 or C4

For informational purposes, [at present] GIA is not identifying the type of filler on their reports. For this, in the US, you would have to send into AGL in NYC. Though there are several other labs in Europe that have the capacity to identify type of filler.

*it should be noted, that it is common for an Emerald to be treated at the source with one type of oil/resin/wax, then another type is used after faceting, and then possibly one or more treatments down the line before it arrives at your doorstep.

dnilson|1378252333|3514215 said:
Also, no matter how many emeralds I look at, I still don't understand the difference between a stone that is "vivid green", versus a stone that is "intense green". I've seen several stones that were listed next to each other with one being a vivid green and the other being an intense green. They look exactly the same!?!?!? Also, I am not color blind...I've been tested. Lastly, which is more valuable...vivid or intense? Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide. :mrgreen:
There are numerous experts here to tackle this one.

dnilson|1378252333|3514215 said:
One last question. For long term investment purposes (I'm just curios as these will become family heirlooms), does the stone need to be a certain size to be considered investment grade? For example, would a 2 carat, high quality, colombian stone, appreciate in value? Or would it need to be 3 or 4+ carats? Obviously, the larger the stone, the better the investment. I'm just wondering if there is a certain minimum size that qualifies as investment grade.
Long term investment would imply it is like being on the stock market and there is a ready opportunity to move the goods you've acquired (in the far distant future of course). This is FAR FROM THE CASE, as can be seen on numerous other forums dedicated to selling gems where reselling the items you've invested in is not so easy. As they say, if it was easy, then everyone would already be doing it. And, clearly from the questions you are asking (and they are very good questions), this may not be a wise move. I don't say this lightly or in a mocking way. It is that there is so much to know about trading in gems, how can one invest in them without knowing at least the basics. At the very least, invest in your gem education first.

I truly hope you find this useful.
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,831
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

First off, you are asking great questions. Speaking from my own experience, as soon as I "found" the world of colored gemstones, I wanted to know everything right away, but the fact is, it takes some time, and really, experience seeing gems in hand to gain the knowledge you seek.

Their codes indicate the level of enhancement in the emerald. Before F1, there is a category for untreated. I know the nomenclature for this depends on the individual material; for corundum for example it is "No Indication of Heating - "NTE." The nomenclature for emerald would likely be similar, but would also discuss the fact that there was no indication of foreign substance/filler - again, I don't know the exact terminology. Then, they get into the level of fillers used in improving the clarity of the stone. To quote the GIA, "This is a judgment of the degree of clarity enhancement: minor (F1), moderate (F2), and significant (F3). “Minor” enhancement indicates the treatment has had only a slight effect on the face-up appearance, whereas “significant” indicates an obvious effect on the appearance." Something like oiling of the stone, which is quite common and considered acceptable, would be F1; whereas a full on treatment with a more substantial filler like opticon or other resin-type material would be at least F2 if not F3. The more invasive the treatment, the lower in relative value of the stone.
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,831
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

Ah, thankfully a real expert has weighed in (that would be Roger)!

As for the intensity of color, that is something I'm afraid you might just need practice to discern. Vivid saturation is considered the very best and would have that eye-popping color that some might describe as "neon" or "glow." There are many excellent online resources to help you understand some of these categories and terms - GIA being a good one. Another one is Pala gems (they sell only to the trade but their website has great tutorial info on it). Another one is known as "The Gemology Project" and can be found on another gemology website. HTH.
 

dnilson

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
26
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

Thanks so much for all the great information!!! I have three nieces who love jewelry as much as I do. I told them that I plan to buy three pieces of jewelry that would be passed down to them when I'm gone. Well, all three want emerald rings!!!! One is unsure, so I'm hoping she decides she wants a ruby or blue sapphire!!!! Their choices were emerald, ruby, blue sapphire or diamond. It NEVER occurred to me that all three would want emerald rings!!! Oh well, maybe at least one will change her mind. Thanks again!!!! :mrgreen:

I forgot to ask..what about the size of the stone? Quality is the most important thing and I can afford 2 carat stones, but I've been thinking that if I waited a while, I could afford larger stones. That's why I asked about the size of the stone. Obviously bigger is better, but how much bigger? Will a 4 or 5 carat stone appreciate faster than a 2 carat stone or would they need to be really big stones (10+ carats) to generate interest (if one of the girls ever needs to sell her ring)?
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

I haven't bought emeralds (unfortunately) so can't give you details, but buying colored stones for future increase is an unlikely scenario. You buy at retail, sell at wholesale or close to it. For a stone to appreciate greatly, it needs a special provenance, such as coming from royalty, an intriguing history, etc., and to be of stunning quality, rarity, and/or size.

You won't find a beautiful emerald cheaply. Never could, relatively, but today, nervous buyers around the world are putting money into a variety of hard goods, & gem prices are high & rising -- rough as well as cut. Who knows what the situation will be in 20 to 40 yrs when they may want to sell?

Buy the nicest stones you can afford, set them beautifully, give them with affection, and hope they're valued for that by your nieces. Forget Antiques Roadshow; if it were possible to plan a Roadshow coup, everybody would do it. The true value of the rings will be in their history with your family -- I gave my niece an adorable small diamond ring which she is the 5th generation to wear; we were both thrilled. It's worth more than money in the bank!

--- Laurie
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,831
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

JewelFreak|1378328972|3514565 said:
Buy the nicest stones you can afford, set them beautifully, give them with affection, and hope they're valued for that by your nieces. Forget Antiques Roadshow; if it were possible to plan a Roadshow coup, everybody would do it. The true value of the rings will be in their history with your family -- I gave my niece an adorable small diamond ring which she is the 5th generation to wear; we were both thrilled. It's worth more than money in the bank!

--- Laurie


Really well put, Laurie. I could not agree more. dnilson, think of gems as like the stock market, only riskier. In that sense, your guess is as good as ours. :))
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,725
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

If the emerald is an investment, you may not want to wear it on a daily basis. Emeralds are not durable enough for daily wear for most people's life styles.
 

dnilson

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
26
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

You guys are all right and I couldn't agree more. The girls are already each getting an heirloom from me and they will be the third to sixth generation to have them. The oldest piece is a gorgeous, ladies pocket watch (one side opens to the watch and the other side opens to an inscription "To Lizette, with love. 1867")!!! It's 18 carat gold and the outside of the lids have beautifully inscribed flowers...plus there isn't a scratch on it, it looks brand new!!!! The other two pieces are a beautiful gold and diamond ring and diamond earrings.

The only reason I even asked about stone size, is because I read somewhere that emeralds need to be at least 3-4 carats, to be considered "investment grade". I don't remember where I read it, but it piqued my interest, which is why I asked. It's less about selling the stones in the future (I hope) and more about having really nice and valuable jewelry to pass down to future generations. Thanks again for all the great information!!! :mrgreen:
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,831
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

You know, dnilson, there is a board here for antique/heirloom jewelry! If you are up for some photos, of course we'd love to see the heirlooms the girls will inherit. :praise:
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

I second that! The pocket watch sounds fascinating, as well as the others. Pics please!

--- Laurie
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

Some gemstones seem to increase in value over the years and some appear to stagnant. As an example, we've seen blue sapphire pricing double over the last 5 years but emeralds have been holding steady. Why? It all depends and in the case of sapphire, it just trended that way (market demand) which is unpredictable.

In almost all cases, colour sets the price. For emeralds, treatment also matters, as does clarity, size and origin (if it has the right colour first of all). You are better off playing the stock market over trying to guess the gem market.
 

dnilson

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
26
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

I'll try to post some pics...if I can persuade my mother to take them out of the safe!! LOL!!! We should have pics anyway, for insurance purposes!
 

dnilson

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
26
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

Chrono|1378380945|3514854 said:
Some gemstones seem to increase in value over the years and some appear to stagnant. As an example, we've seen blue sapphire pricing double over the last 5 years but emeralds have been holding steady. Why? It all depends and in the case of sapphire, it just trended that way (market demand) which is unpredictable.

In almost all cases, colour sets the price. For emeralds, treatment also matters, as does clarity, size and origin (if it has the right colour first of all). You are better off playing the stock market over trying to guess the gem market.


Why do you think sapphires have increased so much? Also, what do you guys think of the vendor "Gemsny"? Are they reputable?
 

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
298
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

dnilson|1378432730|3515412 said:
Chrono|1378380945|3514854 said:
Some gemstones seem to increase in value over the years and some appear to stagnant. As an example, we've seen blue sapphire pricing double over the last 5 years but emeralds have been holding steady. Why? It all depends and in the case of sapphire, it just trended that way (market demand) which is unpredictable.

In almost all cases, colour sets the price. For emeralds, treatment also matters, as does clarity, size and origin (if it has the right colour first of all). You are better off playing the stock market over trying to guess the gem market.


Why do you think sapphires have increased so much? Also, what do you guys think of the vendor "Gemsny"? Are they reputable?
dnilson, I am not able to respond regarding your second question, but I believe your first question is well covered in the following thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-sapphire-–-rarity-pricing-availability.189111/

Hope you find it useful.
 

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 13, 2014
Messages
20
Re: GIA enhancement explanation and vivid green versus inten

a very well written and explained analysis by roger. thanks....wish you were my next-door neighbor or a close friend!
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top