shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Cushion plots demystified (somewhat) with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a compilation of cushion plots I have put together with the actual diamond they come with. I hope this helps others on their cushion hunt!

Cushion Brilliants.jpg

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
More More More!

I''ll take the second cushion brilliant please.
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 8:37:23 PM
Author: luckystar112
More More More!

9.gif
I''ll take them all!!!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 8:37:23 PM
Author: luckystar112
More More More!

9.gif
That''s what my cert looks like!! Wish I could take a picture of it that would turn out that well!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
And yet another. And I totally would love feed back from cushion owners if these do in fact match their diamonds/plots (or add plots/pics of their diamonds if I didn''t include them!) ~Thanks dianne!

one more cushion brilliant.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 1:42:54 AM
Author: blingergrrrl
And yet another. And I totally would love feed back from cushion owners if these do in fact match their diamonds/plots (or add plots/pics of their diamonds if I didn''t include them!) ~Thanks dianne!

Looks like you are doing a pretty good job so far... this has been attempted before in a thread facetfire started, I think it is called "A Cushion By Any Other Name." Because there is a wide range of "looks" between stones with the same facet plot, compounded by the fact GIA does not always seem to put much effort into matching the facet plot to the stone, you would drive yourself crazy trying to do anything comprehensive. [again, i''d direct you to facetfire''s thread to get a sense of how unruly the cushion world can get].

One other suggestion: the pic you have for the very first plot (old-style 8 pavillion main) appears to be an antique stone. Might want to include a picture of a newer-cut stone with the same facet plot, just so people can compare apples when the see this thread and want to learn about cushions. I would suggest Cehra''s as a good model, although feel free to use mine as well.

Best of luck! and keep up the good work!

Jeff

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe, thanks for using my stone blingergrrrl! You did indeed get the right plot and the right stone. Mine is also certified by GIA if that helps to classify "their" system.

There are a few other similar threads around here too which were very helpful in my search, so hopefully future PSers will find this one too!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 9:53:46 AM
Author: neatfreak
Hehe, thanks for using my stone blingergrrrl! You did indeed get the right plot and the right stone. Mine is also certified by GIA if that helps to classify ''their'' system.

There are a few other similar threads around here too which were very helpful in my search, so hopefully future PSers will find this one too!
It''s so hard to find clear pictures of cushions, thanks for taking such good ones! I sometimes forget where I get pictures from, so thanks for not being upset I used yours!
19.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 2:55:20 AM
Author: boston_jeff

...One other suggestion: the pic you have for the very first plot (old-style 8 pavillion main) appears to be an antique stone. Might want to include a picture of a newer-cut stone with the same facet plot, just so people can compare apples when the see this thread and want to learn about cushions. I would suggest Cehra's as a good model, although feel free to use mine as well.

Best of luck! and keep up the good work!

Jeff
Thanks so much, BJ! ;-) Here's a pic of the new "old-style" cushion brilliant. I might also want to add that table size makes a difference in appearance with regards to the facet pattern, at least to me. I LOVE the old style brilliant with a small table but I think the "newer" brilliant (as in 4 pavillion mains) looks good with a larger table but with a very large cutlet (IMHO). Cushions are so dependent on personal taste but I think that's what I like about them!

bostonjeffs new oldstyle cushion.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
What I meant about table size is demonstrated below (again I used a GOG pic). You can see the difference in facet pattern in the attached pic of cushion modified brilliants. Although it could be partially due to the LGF too? There are SOOO many variables to cushions it's unbelievable. No wonder it's a cut that you just have to see in person. It makes me completely respect talented cutters because they have to understand so many variables to make a beautiful stone.

cushion table size.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here's another pic found an another post that I though would be interesting to add as it shows OMCs OECs and modern RBs. I thought I should add it as the OMCs are traditionally a cushion shape (but can be found in a round) and are similar to the 8 pavillion main pattern listed by GIA as a Cushion Brilliant. However, from other posts here on PS, people have suggested that the difference between what GIA lists as an Old Mine Brilliant and a Cushion Brilliant (8 pav mains) is that the OMC's 4 pav mains at the corners of the stone are thinner/longer, the stone is deeper (I guess a larger crown angle?), a smaller table, and perhaps a larger cutlet. However, this is only what I have read on this board. Examples of the Old Mine Brilliant are Boston_Jeff's and Cehrabehra's stones. I haven't seen their GIA cushion plots but I believe they look the same as the 8 pav Cushion Brilliants, but the cert says Old Mine Brilliant instead...whew! Does that make sense??!

SOOO...the above post with Boston_Jeffs pic is half wrong. The facet plot is right , but it should be titled *Old Mine Brilliant*, not *Cushion Brilliant*.

OMC OEC RB.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
One more to throw you for a loop! I thought it was the 3rd modified plot I posted! HAH! I was wrong. Technically, it doesn't say cushion on the cert (same with Old Mine Brilliant), but it was listed under cushions on the website I was on. And yes, I know CUSHION only refers to the shape, not the plot
31.gif
...:

14835372.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
you go girl! This is all good stuff. Thanks for keeping this thread up...it''s a great resource.
36.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
**Just a quick note re the terms "MODIFIED" vs. "MODERN" Cushions. The reason why some cushions are labelled MODIFIED is due to the different amount of facets. A Cushion Brilliant has the same number of facets as a Round Brilliant (RB)diamond, MODIFIED Cushion Brilliants have more facets than a RB. As for someone refering to MODERN cushions...this phrase does not really mean anything other than that the diamond was cut recently (as opposed to, say, 100 years ago). Some people have been getting the phrase MODERN and MODIFIED confused. Yes, all Modified Cushion Brilliants are modern cut, but not all modern cut diamonds are Modified Cushion Brilliants...(you can have a modern cut Cushion Brilliant or a modern cut Old Mine Brilliant!!!). Hope that clarifies some things.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2007 2:25:55 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
**Just a quick note re the terms ''MODIFIED'' vs. ''MODERN'' Cushions. The reason why some cushions are labelled MODIFIED is due to the different amount of facets. A Cushion Brilliant has the same number of facets as a Round Brilliant (RB)diamond, MODIFIED Cushion Brilliants have more facets than a RB. As for someone refering to MODERN cushions...this phrase does not really mean anything other than that the diamond was cut recently (as opposed to, say, 100 years ago). Some people have been getting the phrase MODERN and MODIFIED confused. Yes, all Modified Cushion Brilliants are modern cut, but not all modern cut diamonds are Modified Cushion Brilliants...(you can have a modern cut Cushion Brilliant or a modern cut Old Mine Brilliant!!!). Hope that clarifies some things.
Not necessarily... Loads of antique Cushions (over 100 years old) possess more facets than the standard RB''s (57-58)...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results