shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

I'm cracking up and the memories of the sanitary belt. Do you remember having to use the vending machine? Just a dime, and the pad came in a cardboard box along with two safety pins to secure it to your underwear? :errrr: (You certainly couldn't call them "panties" in that era.)

BTW- I'm so glad to see this thread is still alive! :appl:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable|1342463229|3234912 said:
I'm cracking up and the memories of the sanitary belt. Do you remember having to use the vending machine? Just a dime, and the pad came in a cardboard box along with two safety pins to secure it to your underwear? :errrr: (You certainly couldn't call them "panties" in that era.)

BTW- I'm so glad to see this thread is still alive! :appl:

Yes, and I remember the time one of the safety pins poppped open when I was in church and I jumped up and screammed during communion. Needless to say my mom was so embarassed and so was I! :oops:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Ha! I had the exact same experience, only difference was it was a school mass and the boy next to me almost got in trouble because the nuns thought he pinched me!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was trying on dresses yesterday when it hit me - short skirts are no longer my friend. They are really, really no longer my friend. In fact, anything with "short" in it should be banished from my wardrobe forever, unless I can wear tights with it.

I wonder if they still make "compression" hose? Where are L'eggs now that I need them?

Seriously, this makes me kind of sad. I used to have reasonably good legs as long as one wasn't looking too closely - even if I was always kind of self-conscious about being quite bow-legged. But now... any tautness around my knees is gone, and all I'm seeing is sagging skin and knobiness. I didn't even check out the view from the rear, which is probably just as well! :rodent: Fortunately I have been introducing longer casual skirts into my wardrobe and I recently made peace with capri/pedal pushers, which I once considered a crime against 90% of women-kind.

And I am grateful for all that my knees have done for me and still do for me. My knees, like me, will be 58 soon. They're creakier than they used to be, but they still function quite well. I guess that's the really important thing.

But I'm going to miss the days when I could still "rock" an above-the-knee skirt (or at least when I thought I could :wink2: ).

Please don't bother with "just wear whatever you want and screw what anyone else thinks." If I wanted that, I would have posted in Hangout! :wink2: Besides, I'm reaching this conclusion because I really didn't like what I saw! ;(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1359388793|3365484 said:
I was trying on dresses yesterday when it hit me - short skirts are no longer my friend. They are really, really no longer my friend. In fact, anything with "short" in it should be banished from my wardrobe forever, unless I can wear tights with it.

I wonder if they still make "compression" hose? Where are L'eggs now that I need them?

Seriously, this makes me kind of sad. I used to have reasonably good legs as long as one wasn't looking too closely - even if I was always kind of self-conscious about being quite bow-legged. But now... any tautness around my knees is gone, and all I'm seeing is sagging skin and knobiness. I didn't even check out the view from the rear, which is probably just as well! :rodent: Fortunately I have been introducing longer casual skirts into my wardrobe and I recently made peace with capri/pedal pushers, which I once considered a crime against 90% of women-kind.

And I am grateful for all that my knees have done for me and still do for me. My knees, like me, will be 58 soon. They're creakier than they used to be, but they still function quite well. I guess that's the really important thing.

But I'm going to miss the days when I could still "rock" an above-the-knee skirt (or at least when I thought I could :wink2: ).

Please don't bother with "just wear whatever you want and screw what anyone else thinks." If I wanted that, I would have posted in Hangout! :wink2: Besides, I'm reaching this conclusion because I really didn't like what I saw! ;(

The bolded made me laugh hehe! You'll get none of that from me VR, and I hear ya...I gave up on shorts a while back, just not a good look anymore. Thank goodness for capris, or else I'd be wearing pants all summer. Not feeling real great in the swimwear department either, although that's partly my own fault because I haven't lost the 10 pounds I've been meaning to lose for 5 years and haven't been exercising enough. But it's a little hard to see myself changing as I grow older - I found some pics of me in my early 20's and thought "I actually used to look like that?" I feel my physical appearance has changed a lot, more than other people seem to change as they get older, and it's a little surreal sometimes. I'm trying to make the best of it and focus on the positives in my life, but sometimes it gets to me a little.

I've been falling back on my mantra more and more...at least I have my health! ::)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Happy 58th birthday to me today (Tuesday)! Uppy's right - it isn't so bad when you consider the alternative! :wink2:

junebug17|1359821061|3370479 said:
I've been falling back on my mantra more and more...at least I have my health! ::)

That too! :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Happy Birthday VRBeauty!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, junebug17. I survived! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1360136824|3373408 said:

Hehe! I guess that's all we can ask for these days! :cheeky:

Btw, I want to explain my random comments about swimwear in my other post - I know they seemed to come out of left field, but I'm going on a business trip in 2 weeks with my husband to Boca Raton and am deathly afraid I'm going to have to squeeze into a bathing suit and summer clothes...it's only February, I should have at least 2 months before I have to worry about this! ;( Ah well, it is what it is and I'll make the best of it. It will be nice to get away from this cold NJ weather for a couple of days, at any rate.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I'm so glad this has picked back up again. I love that we can age with humor in tact - well almost in tact. I have my ever growing longer list of things that irritate me, and find that I'm sounding a lot like...well, and old person in what I don't like...just wait until I freely start using the term "whipper snappers" in this forum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1360051235|3372599 said:
Happy 58th birthday to me today (Tuesday)! Uppy's right - it isn't so bad when you consider the alternative! :wink2:

Oh, no!!! Sorry I missed this!!! Happy birthday VR from another that will soon follow you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Gosh, the knees are depressing...let us hope that capris will forever be in style!!! :lol:

And I am to the point that my cover-up doesn't come off at the beach. I know no one on earth would be looking at me, but I just can't do it!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006 said:
VRBeauty|1360051235|3372599 said:

Oh, no!!! Sorry I missed this!!! Happy birthday VR from another that will soon follow you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Gosh, the knees are depressing...let us hope that capris will forever be in style!!! :lol:

And I am to the point that my cover-up doesn't come off at the beach. I know no one on earth would be looking at me, but I just can't do it!!!

Happy (belated) Birthday VRbeauty!

Well, not only do I dislike the appearance of my knees they also don't function like they used to. :blackeye: I am a very active person and enjoy bicycling, walking, working out etc. and for the last few years if I don't stretch a few times a day my knees hurt. I am thankful I can still use them though so don't get me wrong. A few years ago I somehow injured one (orthopedist said from overuse wth!) and it took almost a year of PT to get rid of the pain so I am grateful they still work.

junebug17 said:
VRBeauty|1360136824|3373408 said:

Hehe! I guess that's all we can ask for these days! :cheeky:

Btw, I want to explain my random comments about swimwear in my other post - I know they seemed to come out of left field, but I'm going on a business trip in 2 weeks with my husband to Boca Raton and am deathly afraid I'm going to have to squeeze into a bathing suit and summer clothes...it's only February, I should have at least 2 months before I have to worry about this! ;( Ah well, it is what it is and I'll make the best of it. It will be nice to get away from this cold NJ weather for a couple of days, at any rate.

Lucky you! I would love to get away from this frigid northeast weather right now...though yesterday was a nice break in the cold. But I hear you on wearing a swimsuit in the middle of our winter. Just.not.ready!! Land's End has these swimsuits that are modest and modern enough for me at least. A number of different choices including 2 pieces. And they cover just enough but not too much not to make you feel out of place and without the need for coverups. Not sure if you have time before your trip but check it out when you have time. In any case enjoy your trip!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks missy! I agree, landsend has great fitting suits - but honestly I don't think I'm ready to wear even those! Especially around my husband's co-workers. ;( I have some cellulite going on that just looks pretty unsightly. I think I'll just stick to a cover-up for now. I might even try to avoid the whole pool thing. :sick:

ETA: Oh yeah, and it's Key Largo, not Boca Raton :nono: I keep telling myself my husband told me the wrong place - another joy of getting older, a shoddy memory!!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! Junebug - that business trip must be coming up pretty soon. A few days in the tropics (well, almost!) sounds heavenly!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Happy Belated BDay VR!
I hear ya on the knees, they just ain't what they used to be inside or out!
I live in Florida so the threat of wearing a bathing suit is ever present! Thank God I have to go to work. I wear capris on a regular basis.

On a quasi medical note, Friday is my 18 year cancer free anniversary so to celebrate I'm going to the plastic surgeon to get a date set for a implant replacement. Seems that I have capsular contraction and the implant is being contracted into a ball so it looks a bit like my right breast is climbing out of my bra! Thought I was getting uneven because I had put on a few pounds, but no it's not my fault!

So I'm going to have it replaced and the left on lifted a bit and maybe an implant to even them out. The really good news is I'm getting lipo to fix the hip to hip scar from the first breast reconstruction in 95!! I told him to keep on sucking out what ever he wants too!!! If I slip him a five maybe he will work his way all the way to my A$$! A girl can hope right?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elisateach|1361925395|3391300 said:
Happy Belated BDay VR!
I live in Florida so the threat of wearing a bathing suit is ever present! Thank God I have to go to work. I wear capris on a regular basis.

On a quasi medical note, Friday is my 18 year cancer free anniversary so to celebrate I'm going to the plastic surgeon to get a date set for a implant replacement. Seems that I have capsular contraction and the implant is being contracted into a ball so it looks a bit like my right breast is climbing out of my bra! Thought I was getting uneven because I had put on a few pounds, but no it's not my fault!

So I'm going to have it replaced and the left on lifted a bit and maybe an implant to even them out. The really good news is I'm getting lipo to fix the hip to hip scar from the first breast reconstruction in 95!! I told him to keep on sucking out what ever he wants too!!! If I slip him a five maybe he will work his way all the way to my A$$! A girl can hope right?

HAPPY 18th Cancer FREE Anniversary Elisa!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
And good luck with the plastic surgery!!! (and LOL on the slipping him a five to keep it going :cheeky: )

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elisateach|1361925395|3391300 said:
Happy Belated BDay VR!

OMG!! That is too funny!! Ya - it should work... :D
Congrats on such a wonderful anniversary - 18 years is VERY impressive! When is it likely to schedule the surgery for? Are you thinking March Break (is that realistic to think a few weeks away?) or more likely into the summer holidays? Whenever it is, hope that $5 does the trick!! tee hee!!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Missy and Enerchi
I'll go up to a $20 if I need to!
The hope is over spring break so I don't take days from school. We are out of school on the 22 of March and I'm hoping for that Monday. Wish me luck!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

well if you are throwin' around $20's, how could he refuse??? you'll be slinking around in size 4 capri's in no time!! Totally jealous of THAT plan!! (If I send you another $20, would he lipo me too?? ask for the friends and family discount??? just sayin'...!! ;)) )

My fingers are crossed that you get the date that works best for you - hope it pans out!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi said:
well if you are throwin' around $20's, how could he refuse??? you'll be slinking around in size 4 capri's in no time!! Totally jealous of THAT plan!! (If I send you another $20, would he lipo me too?? ask for the friends and family discount??? just sayin'...!! ;)) )

My fingers are crossed that you get the date that works best for you - hope it pans out!

Haha well I have time to save up, the office is relocating to some posh swanky new digs and I can't get any earlier than April 22 or 26th :(
I could do it the week before but we have state tests and all teachers are forbidden any time off that week.
So I wait till April. But at least I will have perky new ones for my nieces wedding in June.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well maybe your lovely new 'ladies' will put your niece's to shame!! lol!!! :lol:

I guess even tho it is a while away, at least you get the surgeon you want and it will all be worth it in the end. Gotta look at the upside of it, right? :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can I get in on that family and friends plan? $10 should cover knee lipo, right?

Congrats on your 18 year anniversary! :appl:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Update on the reconstruction date, I guess he thinks I'm desperate, April 8th. Actually when I told him the muscles pulling we're actually causing a problem in my back, he said he could do it at a place called The Sanctuary( instead of his new office) !
The massage therapist is working on loosening the tightness,but not much relief.
I'm looking forward to the whole thing being over and being able to wear tank tops and other random other tops without a bra if I want;-)
Still planning on the lipo as a bonus too.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elisateach|1362799842|3400338 said:
Update on the reconstruction date, I guess he thinks I'm desperate, April 8th. Actually when I told him the muscles pulling we're actually causing a problem in my back, he said he could do it at a place called The Sanctuary( instead of his new office) !
The massage therapist is working on loosening the tightness,but not much relief.
I'm looking forward to the whole thing being over and being able to wear tank tops and other random other tops without a bra if I want;-)
Still planning on the lipo as a bonus too.

Well that's pretty sweet!!! That's just a month away and you'll be all healed by the wedding! "The Sanctuary" --- hmmm... that sounds like a total spa day is going to be set up - 8am massage, 9am mani pedi, 10 am breast lift, 11am - PS friends get free lipo.... ya, that's pretty much how I read it!! ;))

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

I'm setting up the appointments for you what time would you like your "services"? ;-)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elisateach|1362872859|3400860 said:
I'm setting up the appointments for you what time would you like your "services"? ;-)

Um...book me in right after you so we can recover together!! You've arranged for the discount of course and I'm all packed and ready to go! We'll both be so SEXY walking out of there!!! (doubled over, bandaged, strung out on percocet!) ya... aging is really a sexy thing, am I right???

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi... Don't forget the drains... Nothing says sexy like little plastic globes of bodily fluids strapped to your body!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elisateach|1363391075|3405932 said:
Enerchi... Don't forget the drains... Nothing says sexy like little plastic globes of bodily fluids strapped to your body!!

hubba hubba!! Stop it now, I don't want to end up getting all passionate and out of control...!! ;)) Being a nurse, this kind of stuff really does turn me on!! hahahahaha!!! :lol:

Ya, love me a good drain tube....

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I'm off to look for a pair of low heeled pumps or flats that look cute or even - dare I say it? - sexy and still accommodate bunions. :lol:

Wish me luck!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So here are the shoes I ended up getting today:

teva_cabrillo_strappy_wedge.jpg

Not pumps, not flats, but a high-heeled sandal! OK, a wedge sandal - the Cabrillo strappy wedge by Teva, to be exact. Super comfy, perhaps a bit more casual than I had in mind but I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of them.

Notice the deeply incised, almost lugged soles. I'll be prepared should I feel the urge to "take a hike!" :lol: Oh, and they're wide enough to accommodate all of my foot! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results