shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
WD, pretty dress! Sorry your SO is taking his time... do you think that will resolve all the issues with your parents? I hope so!

TP, I love that pic! Those orchids are beautiful and you both look so happy! :appl: :love:

Minor Updates on my 'To-Do' List.

~*My List*~
Securing officiant- Done!
Booking cabins- Done!
Found the venue for our reception/dinner and tasted the food- Done!
Finding THE dress- Done!
Buying T a suit and tie- Done!
Buying lanterns for the ceremony- Done!
Settled on color scheme- Done! (Pink and Ivory, with a touches of black and gold)
Venue for our reception/dinner booked! Done!
Reserve rental chairs- Done!
Buying T his wedding band- Done!
Wedding website updated for now- Done!
Wedding earrings- Done!
Ordered flower girl dress- Done!
Order and send Save the Dates- SENT!
Signing the photography contract/ sending down payment- Done!
Took my mom to see my dress Wednesday!
Got a printer from my sister for Christmas! Excited for DIY menus, thanks yous, and programs!
Bought mine and my daughter's bracelets (matching! :bigsmile: )
Ordered wine charms (rather than expensive toasting flutes)

In Progress~
Looking at hair accessories
Working on the menu and sending down payment to reception venue
Find a salon for wedding day and make appointment

Next up~
Save $$$
Work on ordaining our good friend and sending that info to the county.
Order cake topper from Etsy
Purchase hair accessories
Relax and enjoy this!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was supposed to have at least one of our venues booked by the new year. It's the 26th of Dec, and I haven't done so. I'm starting to freak the f out.

Wakingdreams- what do you mean officially appropriately ask for your hand? Aren't you engaged already?

TP - your cake is gorgeous!! I love those orchids.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks antiquesparkler, I do too! && Seriously great progress! You're very on-point with this stuff! I hope that means that planning is enjoyable rather than stressful for you! :))

Madelise, heh, it's pretty much entirely symbolic. Yes, we're engaged--he proposed, I said yes-- there's no taking that back. But they will not acknowledge it until he "properly" asks for my hand. They're basically acting like children, but I'll appease it to retain them in my life. It's a well-intentioned act. They get what they want, we get what we want. However, the issue is that I unfortunately doubt it'll change their desire for us to marry. But I'm not even thinking about that right now, one step at a time!

Don't freak the f out! Do you have venues selected? Is it just a matter of picking and booking? Or are you still searching? Perhaps we can help? (since I'm not really planning my wedding, I'd happily live vicariously through the internet :lol:)

Rebecca0388

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies, I love my band so much! I packed it away because I kept trying it on.

Antiquesparkler so much progress! Do you know what kind of hair accessories you are looking for?

Recordaras I always had this thread in the back of my mind that I had commented on about someone looking for an eternity band for a solitaire in a similar colour to mine. I always wondered if they got one and went back the other day to have a look and it was you! So did you end up getting one?

WD that's so cool you could try the dresses on at home :)

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Rebecca0388|1388439343|3583280 said:
Recordaras I always had this thread in the back of my mind that I had commented on about someone looking for an eternity band for a solitaire in a similar colour to mine. I always wondered if they got one and went back the other day to have a look and it was you! So did you end up getting one?
Aw, thank you for remembering! I haven't gotten it yet, but I went back a couple more times to try stuff on and have decided that I definitely don't see any issues with the color. I'm still trying to figure out which style I want to go with, and as of late I've been pretty set on a bezel 3/4 eternity with 2 or 2.5 pointers, and now I'm waiting for Jamie to get back to me with a quote. :)

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
I just realized that since it's almost 2014, which means the price of stamps will be going up! But fortunately we still have till January 26 to buy them at the current price. 3 cents is definitely not a huge difference, but I think I'll stock up anyway. :)

My morning started with the strangest thing: flatware doubt! We have a very tiny registry, and the main items are place settings of Sambonet flatware. I chose a very sleek and modern design (the exact opposite of what we have now - I hate hate HATE our current flatware that looks like it was made by a caveman out of a rusty nail - and can't wait to ditch it! :twisted: ) which has been in our registry since day one.

But this morning I woke up at 5:15 am and realized I was doing it all wrong! That I wanted something very classic and timeless instead, something that will age well. Hey, considering it's $85/place setting I certainly hope we never have to replace it.
So I went to search for something else and found the perfect design, only... Bloomingdales (where we are currently registered) doesn't carry it. Gah. So I had to create a second Michael C Fina registry just for the sake of the flatware. They do have a 15% completion discount vs Bloomingdales' 10%, so I guess it's a good thing, but hopefully it won't be too inconvenient for our guests.

Here are the two designs, the one on the left is what I had initially chosen, and the one on the right is what I chose this morning:

sambonet2.jpg

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies,

So I got my first quote for flowers this week. I nearly fainted. I did NOT realize flowers were this expensive! 8k for my dream flower arrangements, which really aren't as elaborate as what most people get.

I was a bit sad when I learned this and will be cutting back drastically on the floral arrangements I envisioned but I just couldn't see myself spending so much money! I've already sent my proposal out to 3 other florist as well hoping that I find a cheaper quote.

Was anyone else shocked by the sticker price of flowers?

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
$8K??? :-o What kind of arrangements are included in that?

We're on a budget, so we actually went from how much we could spend. We gave the florist our budget, a general idea of what we'd like (bridal bouquet, bouttonieres and nosegays, several small simple centerpieces for the dining room table) and the flowers I absolutely do not want and she went from there. I'm also thinking of picking up $100 worth of roses from Costco a couple of days before the wedding and putting those into vases for the cocktail hour area since I want some kind of decor there but wouldn't be able to pay a premium for "real" arrangements from the florist.

Other than that we hit a fairly unpleasant non-wedding related bump in the road. :( I used to be a freelance photographer before I started my current job, and when I started out I really wanted to do things the right way - registered with the City, paid all my business property taxes (on a camera and lenses) etc. etc. etc. Long story short, a couple of days ago I got my 2014 tax bill in the mail (even though I haven't been running it since November 2012 and have officially closed the business) and... I owe the city $1600 in business property tax. Vs the $100 or so it was the year before. Apparently I didn't file some kind of paperwork in early 2013 when I wasn't even physically running my business anymore, which led them to value its taxable worth at over $48K. ;(
Not only is it infuriating because they can get away with stuff like that (no freelance photography sole prop can ever grown from a couple thousand to over $48K in one year!!!), but also the timing couldn't be any worse - my wedding savings plan is really going to get hit with that one.
Sorry about the rant, but I'm a little upset about it all. Not the end of the world of course, but $1600 is a large sum for us, and I would have very much preferred to spend it on something different. *sigh*

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Rebecca, Thanks for asking! I am not really sure at the moment. I am thinking a clip/broach type thing or I found really gorgeous bobby pins on Etsy that I love with 1 inch by 1 inch rhinestone flowers on them. Link here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/101798671/2-bridal-hair-pins-bridesmaids-hair?ref=favs_view_23

I still don’t have a hair appointment nor do I have any clue what I want to do with it but I know that I do not want a veil so I figure something sparkly should do the trick.

Maple, Holy $8k for flowers!? Wow! Can you skip the centerpieces and just do candles/petals? Or alternate tables? I hope some of your other quotes come back more reasonable. What kind of flowers are you looking at doing?

Recordaras, Ohmygosh! I’m so sorry. Can they really do that even though your business is closed??

I like your idea of getting some roses from Costco. I have heard nothing but great things about their flowers. I am going to buy my flowes from Grower’s Box. Check them out too and see if they are any cheaper. My friend and I used them for her wedding and the flowers were amazing!

Love the silverware you chose. I think my style is somewhere in between there but I think the set on the left is very modern and the new one is very classic and pretty. Good choice! :appl:

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Isn't hair confusing? I find it incredibly difficult because I have no idea what will suit my face shape/proportions, so I'm hoping to have a very. long. trial and ask the hairdresser to do a several different options and go from there. But then again my choices are limited to high and medium high updos, since I'll be having a veil.
Also, I am "blessed" with baby fine hair, so I'm thinking of doing clip in extensions to give a little more volume to the updo.

Have you started pinteresting which styles you like? And since you're not having a veil - have you considered doing some real flowers in your hair? :love: I love the look, and it's just so incredibly romantic...

I will certainly check out Grower's Box! The reason I wanted Costco was that we could stop at the store and pick up the flowers on our way up to VT, but then again the options will probably be fairly limited compared to ordering online and getting them shipped. I still haven't given it too much thought, though! And planning has been going pretty slow in general due to the holidays.

My tax thing really is incredibly disappointing - we're trying to appeal, but since I formally cancelled my business certificate only in 2013 there's little hope. But the whole situation has me so mad that I will certainly be making a lot of noise about it and writing letters to every single public office I can find the address of, ha.
On the bright side, we had a very good Christmas, and for the first time I think my FMIL started getting into the wedding planning! I'm really excited about that, since my mom is on another continent and I can use all the local help I can get. Not to mention that it's just really nice to have her on board.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Hair is so SO tough. I now have a pinterest bard listed as ‘bridal beauty’ where I am pinning some skin regimens I want to try and hair/make-up ideas. I am headed to our wedding location next weekend so I am hoping to stop in there and chat and make a couple appointments.
Maybe once I have my dress, I will be able to picture the whole ‘look’ more.

I’ve thought about doing flowers in my hair but the flowers I will be ordering are sort of fragile and I would hate for them to wilt… so tough! I like the idea of a hairpiece. I also like the idea of a big beautiful bun… google Hilary Duff’s wedding. So elegant.

I LOVE Costco and that might work out really great to pick them up on your way! I am actually hoping to find 4 dozen pink roses a couple days before the wedding and use the petals. Petals aren’t so important that I want to spend $125 and order them but Costco usually has 2 dozen roses for like $20 and that would be perfect for my tiny aisle.

I would pitch such a fit. :nono: I am glad you are doing that. I hope you get some resolution to the whole thing. Crossing my fingers for you.

Glad you have your MIL to help you out!

How far in advance do you plan on ordering invitations? I found a design on Etsy that I love but I am concerned that she could discontinue them at any moment. Plus I am making response cards and maps for everyone so I want time to be able to match the paper and all of that. Is 8 months too early to order them? It will take 2 weeks for the design and another 4 weeks for mail…. So then we are talking 6 and a half months….

I am getting married 8 months from today! :appl: :appl: :love: Not that I am counting...

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think the dress together with the location will help figure out the overall look you want. I'm also pretty practical, so I knew I would NOT be wearing my hair down no matter what the veil situation - my hair doesn't really hold a curl or anything like that well and is prone to frizzing, so without an updo I'd look good for approximately 1 hour, lol. So is there anything you'd be able to exclude right away to help narrow it down a bit?
As for flowers, I know very well what you mean. I'd rather have no flowers than sad wilted/bruised flowers! I'm sure together with the hairdresser you'll be able to figure out what suits you best, and you have plenty of time to think about it - 8 months is so much time to try things out.

I love the petal idea. It's kind of outrageous how much they charge for those, and it's not like they're going to last!

As for invites, if you are 100% sure you love the ones you found and won't have a change of heart, I'd buy them now. I, however, am a master of having second thoughts, so I will probably be ordering ours right before we start sending them out.
Speaking of which, I still have a couple of save the dates that didn't get posted before the holidays that should go out! There's my new weekend project.

And once again - 8 months!!! On the one hand that's so long, but on the other it's so soon. :love:
Have you already chosen your wedding band?

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and here's a funny story about the FI: a couple of months ago we went to try on wedding bands and he liked the 6mm flat platinum band (I shared my :-o at the price...). So last week we were out running errands and I talked him into going to the jewelry store to try some bands on one more time. Oh the resistance I met! :angryfire: Why would he want to waste time on this if he already *knows* exactly what he wants, right? Well, guess what, this time he liked the domed band and didn't like the flat one at all!
Now I'm thinking about getting him in a third and final time to see what will win.

By the way, Amazon has some nicely priced Benchmark bands in their "Amazon curated collection", however for some reason not in FI's size. Too bad - I read that they were a little heftier and more comfortable than the e-weddingbands ones.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Wedding bands are a struggle… I change my mind too much and I am having a hard time. Not to mention, my engagement ring is very antique looking and I really want diamonds on my band...but my diamond is an L-M OEC... so then if the diamonds in the band are too white... it makes my diamond look yellow and in reality its more of a creamy white.
For some reason all the 'antique' ones I have tried all look really modern next to me e-ring. I did find one that I really love… on Ebay…. It’s from a reputable company and lots of PS’ers have been happy with their purchases from them. This is going to sound bad…. But I need to feel out FI and see if he would be okay with me getting a new one at some point down the road. Then I will be able to decide…

I’ll try and find a good picture of it!

How about you? Do you have yours yet? Any in mind?

Guys are so funny about their rings! FI changed his mind several times too! You should take him again for the tie-breaker round of ring shopping. I am sure you will be met with tons of resistance on that too… Maybe you could bribe him with lunch? Food always works for mine. Hehehe.

Thanks for the advice on the invites. I have pretty much based my décor around the invite… so I am pretty set on them.
Now I have to work on the wording a little bit.

8 months seems far away until I started realizing that in 2 months… it will be 6 months away… and that seems like a short amount of time. Especially because we have been engaged for almost 5 months and that time has FLOWN by. It’s funny how my girl mind works.

I can’t wear my hair down either. I had to really sit down and think about it and there is no way. I would be worried about it the whole time. I will probably most comfortable with it up so I should start scoping out ‘up’ styles. If you see anything cute and fun, post away!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Alrighty ladies, I'm officially joining the list makers since I need a place to list out all of my thoughts and planning! Surprisingly I have gotten a lot done in the last 2 weeks (although I've been kinda talking to the photographer/resort for a few weeks before I got engaged but that's okay ;)) )

We have decided to have a super small DW (was originally going to be just FI and myself but decided my parents should be there too, they can act as our witnesses plus it's also my parents 30 year anniversary so they can have a little mini moon. FI's parents don't want to worry about getting their passport and their own parents weren't at their wedding so they're not upset about not being there).

So here's my to-do list!

Done:
- Photographer deposit
- Dress shopping #1 (to figure out styles)
- Bought a few shoe options to try out (all easily returnable)
- Started wedding website

To do soon:
- Pick specific photographer
- Sign contract with resort and put deposit on date
- Book hotel rooms (myself and make arrangements for parents)
- Get hair trimmed/colored
- More dress shopping

To do in the next few months:
- Book plane tickets
- Order dress and accessories
- Book hair/makeup
- Buy wedding rings and get FI's engraved
- Figure out what type of cake if any for ceremony
- Prepare vows
- Prepare license paperwork
- Registry? We will be having a small informal reception after we get home for extended family and close friends
- Book home reception site...thinking of doing it at a restaurant
- Decide on menu for reception, desserts
- Pick out invites for home reception
- Gifts for FI, parents

I think that's all I can think of now...I'm much more comfortable with this to do list than the one recommended by the knot for a traditional wedding! I am not a huge party planner (as much as I dream of it) so I don't think I would be happy planning a big affair. I'm much more excited about this all and hopefully I will have a finalized date to add to the BIW list by the end of the week!!!

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Please, please share pictures!!! And I definitely know what you mean by the color difference - my stone is a J, and I even opened a thread about whether lighter colored melee would look decent next to it.
I've been going back and forth like crazy too, but I think I will end up getting a plain comfort fit plat band and the BGD bezel 3/4 eternity with 1.5 pointers. Initially I was looking at the Dream half eternity with 5 pointers, but tried on some options at a b&m jeweler and decided I like the smaller stones more. My diamond is only .64ct, so anything larger than 2-3 points starts to overwhelm the center stone.

Here are a couple of low updos I have saved on Pinterest - sorry for the link, but picture upload on PS has been veeeery sloooow for me recently.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/72/de/1372de7784e3dd555dca13c2498f0db1.jpg
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/5c/d1/b75cd1ba2c656a5d9b998909beb785b4.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/19/c4/69/19c46968072877f50544bdb951a44e3d.jpg
(I tend to prefer hairstyles that are already a little on the "messy" side, so it's not the end of the world if you mess it up a little over the course of the day)

Other than that I have found our cake baker! Still a little upset with the first one I contacted who said she'd be willing to work with us and then stopped replying to my emails. :( Oh well, my FI was absolutely right when he said it's best to have these things happen in advance and not a day before the wedding. And the one we will be going with has been SO incredibly accommodating, I can't even begin to describe!
Okay, I will - she's going to be bringing back jars of blackcurrant jam from her vacation in the UK this February to use it in our filling. Can you believe that??

And I think I might try to get my FI to do a third round of ring search, but in all honesty I have a feeling that he doesn't really care and will wear pretty much anything I get him, as long as it's about the same dimensions as the ones he liked the first two times. I kind of wish I could be like that, but then again what fun is life without obsessing over jewelry?

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Hi pandabee! How exciting, and isn't it great when you have so much already planned and thought through in advance?
I think most of us here are having smaller weddings, and I honestly think it's a great decision. You will be surrounded by those who truly mean the most to you, and you will start a new family surrounded by your closest loved ones. What could possibly be better?

It's too bad that your FI's parents won't be able to make it, though. I probably would have been a little sad, but then again all people are different and for many weddings really don't mean as much. Will you still be involving them in the planning?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maple2012|1388907296|3586620 said:
Hi Ladies,

So I got my first quote for flowers this week. I nearly fainted. I did NOT realize flowers were this expensive! 8k for my dream flower arrangements, which really aren't as elaborate as what most people get.

I was a bit sad when I learned this and will be cutting back drastically on the floral arrangements I envisioned but I just couldn't see myself spending so much money! I've already sent my proposal out to 3 other florist as well hoping that I find a cheaper quote.

Was anyone else shocked by the sticker price of flowers?

Yes!!!

I got to know the floral department managers at a couple of stores and one is really good at arrangements and stuff. She was willing to do anything I wanted for the cost of flowers + 10% -- so the $1000+ bouquet I liked from the florist could be done for about $30.

Another thing you might consider is approaching the horticulture departments at your local high school or college. When I was in HS, we did arranging. They might be willing to do something for super inexpensive labor (think cost of supplies plus a smidge) just to get the experience -- Oh, and in my school the teacher was very good and made sure that nothing but top quality went out.

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
I thought I'd start posting in here as well!

We've got a date picked now: 07/03/2015. Which is something! I might go and try some dresses on not this weekend, but next weekend. My FMIL is going for her fitting and the shop she's going to is where I've seen a dress I like, I tried a dress on for fun last year at a wedding show, it was a Sorreto & Midgely? (I think).

2013-10-05_13.jpg

I would like to mention my head is not this long in real life lol!

I LOVE this dress, the lace is also covered in silver-thread so it's sparkly all over, my only problem with it, is that the material isn't very soft, it's quite stiff. Whereas this dress:

http://www.sinceritybridal.com/wedding_dress/3785

Is completely soft and has none of that stiff netting underneath, this I'm hopefully trying on in a couple of weeks. But you can see the shape and style I like.

It's so nice seeing everyone's weddings coming together!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Aww ladies, I didn't realize how tough it might be to find a wedding band! The antique show were we bought my antique pear diamond is coming up again, I'll look around for some lower colored bands & get you their info :)

Great progress, Pandabee!! Very impressive!

Congrats on picking a date, Stephny! That dress is so gorgeous on you!!

Our date is officially 11/7, just a week after Halloween. This way we can celebrate our favorite holiday and not have to figure out how to get married and be super Halloween-y at the same time. Our plans have more-or-less become eloping to our beloved Key West. We go there a couple times a year and it's a special place for us, so that works out beautifully.

Went to my first Trunk show this Saturday with my mom which I was so brutally nerve racked about! I could barely sleep, let alone eat! Luckily, it went very well and everyone there was super nice. I got to try on a Lazaro and realize that some dresses are better on the hangar than worn! I even had a "YES TO THE DRESS" experience, which BTW, I didn't realize how much I hated until it happened: a bunch of eager brides who neither know me nor care, falsely giddy for my pending purchase, ugh, my face turned horribly red. :oops: I then called FI to tell him the "good" news... not so good considering it was 4x more than I was planning on spending. He quickly turned it down saying that I need to negotiate it down to $2000. :-o I originally didn't want to spend more than $600!!! :$$): For reference, the dress was labelled $2750 and I got them down to $2350, which before the phone call I thought was pretty good. This entire sequence did not put him in favor with my mom-- who was patiently waiting while I was on the phone with him. However, as luck would have it, after we got lunch she said that he made the right decision and that I need to pick the dress that looks best in pictures. Amazingly enough, the dress I fell in love with looked pretty crappy in photos and the dress I was not thinking twice about looked amazing. I'll stop rambling and post pictures. :lol:

Disclaimer: my computer is running slowly and I don't feel like blurring my face 8)

lazaro.jpg

rosa3.jpg

oscar3.jpg

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
Oh! That Oscar dress looks amaaaazing on you! The second dress looks beautiful too, but I can see why you prefer the third one.
You don't need to blur your face- your beautiful!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
recordaras those updos look super chic and elegant!

As for FI's family...funny you should say that. He just informed me over the weekend that now they are thinking of going (well, asked how much it would be for them to attend) which I am perfectly fine with. I'd love for them to be there. But I had literally already sent the contract in to secure our date and number of guests so now instead of 4 it'll be double if our parents and siblings all come too. Kind of frustrating that they will flip flop but I guess they realized it is important. So I'll wait until they have decided for sure to let the venue know just in case they change their mind again.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Stephny691 congrats on setting a date! The dress looks gorgeous on you.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams I think you could be a bridal gown model! They all look stunning on you. Do you have a front view (even on a model) of the rosa?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, thank you Stephny and Pandabee!! It was fun trying them on too because I got lots of compliments, :lol: self-esteem boost never hurt anyone.

Pandabee, is there any wiggle room in your final count? It sounds like this flip-flopping will drive you crazy unless you have some formal arrangement with the venue/caterer. Then again, it looks like your # is super small, so I can see the frustration if just adding 4 people is DOUBLE. Logistics suck lol.

Re: Front of Rosa, unfortunately I can't get a model pic because I don't have the # and I can't find it on their site. The place I was trying on dresses is a pre-owned dress shop, so it's possible that this dress was an older dress that didn't sell from a shop, so it could be many years old. I naturally have a photo of me though, hah. I loved the detail on the bottom of the dress with applique flowers which was copied in the bolero.

rosa4.jpg

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful dresses WD! I think I love all of them! :love:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies, if it isn't rude to ask, what is your dress budget? I'm thinking $2000 is a lot, but what do I know? I don't want to spend that much, but all the dresses that I'm finding and liking are in that range. Everything else is appearing "cheap" :/ I showed FI the pictures and he chose the one I fell in love with. He is very "fashion-forward" and always sends me back if I look ridiculous, which I'm grateful for, so next try-on session will be with him. Alfred Angelo is having a sale this weekend, so I'll show you pix if anything is tolerable :naughty:

Also, now I talked to my grandpa and his heart started hurting when I told him that no one would be there from either of our sides... no mom or dad.. he just found it to be very sad, and I unfortunately agree. I told FI and he agreed and said that his mom has been under the impression that we'd have at least something for immediate family. So now we're back to square one. *Head Explodes*

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it's rude. I spent $450 on my dress. They were having a Thanksgiving sale so I got $100 off the original price.

But with that being said, as crazy as this sounds... the dress wasnt my top priority when it came to our budget. We are focusing on guest accomodations, food, and drinks. So I think its all in what is impotant to you and your fiance. If we were eloping and werent paying for food/drinks/cabins for all of our guests, you bet I would have pricier dress. :$$): :$$):

I read a really great planning article one time on Brides.com that said you should sit down with your SO and figure out what the 3 most important things are for your wedding and spend the majority of your budget on those items.

I tried on several Alfred Angelo dresses and they seemed to less expensive than $2k. My dress is part of the Voyage collection by Mori Lee. Check out the Mori Lee site and see if you like any of them, they have dresses in all price ranges from what I can tell. I think if you and your SO have the money and you feel fabulous then you should spend the $2k. Do what makes YOU happy. :bigsmile:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
WD, You must be going crazy... all this back and forth with your wedding planning. I am so sorry you are dealing with all of that. This is just my .02 cents but why dont you and your SO do what you want to do? If you guys want to elope, then elope. If you guys would like to have a gathering afterwards at a nice resturant with your closest family, I would do that. Invite everyone and whoever doesnt support you and doesnt show up then its their problem and you tried. I know you want to make your parents happy but I just feel so bad that throughout your entire engagement and planning, you have been forced to changed your plans in attempt to cater to what everyone else is wanting at that moment.

Or maybe you plan a DW and invite all your immediate family, if they want to come, they will. Can your grandpa travel? He sounds like a wonderful guy. I am glad you have someone supportive in your life.

I hope you guys can come to an agreement soon. Sending you internet **hugs**. :))

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53 said:
Ladies, if it isn't rude to ask, what is your dress budget? I'm thinking $2000 is a lot, but what do I know? I don't want to spend that much, but all the dresses that I'm finding and liking are in that range. Everything else is appearing "cheap" :/ I showed FI the pictures and he chose the one I fell in love with. He is very "fashion-forward" and always sends me back if I look ridiculous, which I'm grateful for, so next try-on session will be with him. Alfred Angelo is having a sale this weekend, so I'll show you pix if anything is tolerable :naughty:

Also, now I talked to my grandpa and his heart started hurting when I told him that no one would be there from either of our sides... no mom or dad.. he just found it to be very sad, and I unfortunately agree. I told FI and he agreed and said that his mom has been under the impression that we'd have at least something for immediate family. So now we're back to square one. *Head Explodes*

I'm on the higher end with my dress - I'm a little embarrassed to share the price. I don't think spending 2k on something you love is too much - would you try to re-sell after?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results