shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
For me, the biggest time suck in wedding planning hasn't been the important stuff. It has been the things like deciding I should research custom water bottle labels and thus spending the past two hours researching all the different options and thinking about what I would want the label to look like and how many would I need and what size water bottle and could we even afford it and so on and so forth...

And I'm taking the Bar in exactly one month.

I don't have time to get lost in this ridiculousness for hours. And yet I do. And then I'm angry at myself.

There isn't really a point to this, just a vent.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
SB, every time you post, I get more and more sure we're living the same life.

I just spent 3 hours on etsy the other day trying to decide which style "Bride" and "Groom" signs I wanted to tie to our chairs at the reception...only to recall that, based on how things will be set up, NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THEM. **headdesk**

In the meantime, our ceremony isn't written, we don't have flights to KC yet, or hotels booked, or any of a multitude of other really important things to finish. But I chose to spend 3 hours searching etsy for something we can't even use.

So I feel ya, sister.

PS: Good luck on the Bar! Where are you taking it?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, vc, don't get me started on etsy... (and I think you are totally my doppelganger)

HOURS go by and I can't even remember why I went to etsy in the first place. From veils to invitations (I already have invitations!) to favors to bridesmaids gifts - clutches and jewelry rolls and jewelry oh my - to shoe clips. Serious bridal coma.

Those etsy signs are too adorable, but HOW FUNNY you can't even see them at your venue! Totally something I would do. I really want to get a "just married" one to use in pictures!

Have I mentioned I still don't have an officiant? Yeah.

PS - thanks for the luck! I'm taking Illinois, which isn't too bad, but still. Scary.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I find that when I have an exam coming up, the little things take on an enormous importance.

After all, wedding stuff is soooo much more fun.

Good luck for the bar exam!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1295723652|2829813 said:
Oh, vc, don't get me started on etsy... (and I think you are totally my doppelganger)

HOURS go by and I can't even remember why I went to etsy in the first place. From veils to invitations (I already have invitations!) to favors to bridesmaids gifts - clutches and jewelry rolls and jewelry oh my - to shoe clips. Serious bridal coma.

Those etsy signs are too adorable, but HOW FUNNY you can't even see them at your venue! Totally something I would do. I really want to get a "just married" one to use in pictures!

PS - thanks for the luck! I'm taking Illinois, which isn't too bad, but still. Scary.

That bold is me EXACTLY. "Ooooo! Look at these birdcage veils! And these fingertip lengths ones! Oh, and this seller has fascinators! Oh, and she also sells ones for bridesmaids! I should get them one! Or maybe some jewelry! Oh that's right, I already have the gemstone beads to MAKE them jewelry! So maybe I should get something to put it in!" (etc...etc...etc...)

I don't even want to look at my "favorites" I've clicked on so many things! It'll take just as long for me to sort through THEM as it did the different items and shops in the first place!

...our venue came with an officiant, thank goodness, otherwise I'm sure I'd be in the same boat...

So does taking the Illinois Bar mean you're moving back there?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1295735038|2830004 said:
Nope. Moving to you means that I can waive in using any Bar. Since FI is barred here, and this is likely to be if we're not there, I'm taking Illinois.

But moving your way by fall! GTG totally necessary!

I LOVE birdcage veils. One of my favorite trends. I'm going to do a chapel length veil (which if you had told me that when I started this process, I would have laughed in your face) but if my dress was more modern I would totally do the birdcage.

Oh, and finding the correct jars for our favors (we're going to do tiny jars of Vanilla Sugar and Vulcan's Fire Salt with some tagline like "Sugar & Spice - Ingredients for Happily Ever After" or something cheesy like that) took DAYS of my life. I've ordered samples and am really hoping they work so I can cross that off the to-do list.

ac719

Shiny_Rock
this is me lol :D

sillyberry|1295723652|2829813 said:

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
That bold is me EXACTLY. "Ooooo! Look at these birdcage veils! And these fingertip lengths ones! Oh, and this seller has fascinators! Oh, and she also sells ones for bridesmaids! I should get them one! Or maybe some jewelry! Oh that's right, I already have the gemstone beads to MAKE them jewelry! So maybe I should get something to put it in!" (etc...etc...etc...)

I don't even want to look at my "favorites" I've clicked on so many things! It'll take just as long for me to sort through THEM as it did the different items and shops in the first place!

...our venue came with an officiant, thank goodness, otherwise I'm sure I'd be in the same boat...

I haven't started looking ye but am seriously considering a birdcage veil. Could you help to start off my search by recommending some Etsy vendors to check out? Thanks :)

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
sillyberry|1295744293|2830131 said:
Nope. Moving to you means that I can waive in using any Bar. Since FI is barred here, and this is likely to be if we're not there, I'm taking Illinois.

But moving your way by fall! GTG totally necessary!

I LOVE birdcage veils. One of my favorite trends. I'm going to do a chapel length veil (which if you had told me that when I started this process, I would have laughed in your face) but if my dress was more modern I would totally do the birdcage.

Oh, and finding the correct jars for our favors (we're going to do tiny jars of Vanilla Sugar and Vulcan's Fire Salt with some tagline like "Sugar & Spice - Ingredients for Happily Ever After" or something cheesy like that) took DAYS of my life. I've ordered samples and am really hoping they work so I can cross that off the to-do list.

The sugar and spice idea sounds interesting! Could you tell me who our vendor is for those? I originally wasn't going to give favours but my sister and also my MOH said I should give *something* even if its small so I'm caving. I definately want to give something edible. I was thinking truffles or jellybeans but the sugar/spice idea is quite unique!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sirbenson, I would just recommend doing a search for "birdcage veil" and your colour (white, ivory, champagne, etc) in the etsy search box. There are so many vendors out there, and I've found many that I like. Also, if you have a preferred method of attachment (ie: headband, comb, or clip) you might want to add that to your search to help narrow it down.

sb, I LOVE your favor idea (and the cheese factor!)...we're currently trying to figure that one out...my mom wanted to do calla lily coasters (since the only flowers were using are callas, and the sidestones in my ring are calla cuts), but we're also looking at other ideas.

And you MUST let me know when you're moving back to my neck of the woods! :appl: I'm thinking a cup of coffee at Misha's will be in order!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
sirbenson, the spices come from my local spice shop that I love and frequent regularly and the jars from a container website - they're not sold as-is anywhere. My poor MOH and I will be filling and labeling ourselves in my hotel room! I'm sure you could find something similar at Penzey's or another online spice distributor!

However, with your French theme - have you considered macarons? I think they're the quintessential French dessert and look GORGEOUS as favors. Maybe two or four in a small box lined with tissue paper? Or a small bag tied with ribbon in your wedding colors?

vc - callas are gorgeous (so elegant!), but to be honest, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of coasters as favors (or trinkets generally). I prefer edible, even better if local. Are you gung-ho, or is it totally mom driving that train?

And yes. As long as I can drink tea. :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haha...mom was definitely driving the favors train on that one, lol...

I'm also big on consumables for favors. I wanted to do a cookie bar with my, FI, and our parent's favorite cookies...but my venue contract says no outside food except our wedding cake. Which also means a candy bar is out. I'm still considering little takeout boxes of something edible...I wish Jack Stack made mini bottles of BBQ sauce, because that would be adorable...and delicious... :lickout: ...I'll have to look into some local KC stuff. I mean, if I bring the favors already packaged, what're they gonna do, right?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
What about small jars of a KC BBQ rub? You could buy in bulk and package yourself in metal tins.

Or...this might be completely ridiculous, but maybe try asking Jack Stack's if they'll sell you BBQ sauce in bulk? Get a good funnel and you could package up 5oz bottles of sauce with a cute label. Spin a real good story about how much you want your guests to be able to take home the deliciousness of their sauce? I mean, the 18oz bottles they actuall sell are ridiculous for favors!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving the little spice rub tins!!! I was definitely thinking about that...I'm wondering if I could just find a recipe for a KC-style rub online somewhere and then just buy bulk spices and mix up my own (like this one)! Little label with black and white damask print, tie on green and purple ribbon, call it a day!

And of course...some cheesy phrase on the label like "Rub on some Love, from the Newlyweds!"

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Making your own BBQ rub sounds awesome! I think that would be a wonderful and meaning favor. Maybe include a recipe on the tag?

You should totally have a ribs party to make sure the rub is good before you make tons of the stuff!

In good news - I HAVE AN OFFICIANT!!! Our good friend who was there the night we met is going to do the honors. So happy!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1295821521|2830760 said:
Making your own BBQ rub sounds awesome! I think that would be a wonderful and meaning favor. Maybe include a recipe on the tag?

You should totally have a ribs party to make sure the rub is good before you make tons of the stuff!

In good news - I HAVE AN OFFICIANT!!! Our good friend who was there the night we met is going to do the honors. So happy!

Hooray!!! I love it when people close to the couple officiate weddings.

I wanted FI's grandfather to be our officiant, but FI wanted someone who was a "real" ordained minister. Fortunately, we found a non-denominational church with two awesome officiants, both of which are open to us writing our own ceremony.

We. Lucked. Out.

Oh! And FI loves the spice rub idea, too! Thanks for finding the tins to make it possible!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
vc10um: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. My dress is actually gold (its not a wedding dress but actually a bridesmaids dress) so I'm not sure what colour would match with my dress. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go tthe birdcage veil route for this reason because I'm not sure that I will be able to find something that will match.

sillberry: Yeah I've considered macarons but I am going to be having a macaron tree as our dessert so I thought it would be too redundant to also give them away as favours. Also at $2-$2.50 each plus box, ribbons, tags, they would liley add up to be more than I'm willing to spend per person.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sirbenson|1295828162|2830863 said:
vc10um: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. My dress is actually gold (its not a wedding dress but actually a bridesmaids dress) so I'm not sure what colour would match with my dress. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go tthe birdcage veil route for this reason because I'm not sure that I will be able to find something that will match.

sillberry: Yeah I've considered macarons but I am going to be having a macaron tree as our dessert so I thought it would be too redundant to also give them away as favours. Also at $2-$2.50 each plus box, ribbons, tags, they would liley add up to be more than I'm willing to spend per person.

sirbenson! How could I forgot about your beautiful dress!?!? :nono: Thank you for the reminder! I am not sure that you will be able to find veiling in a gold colour...but might something like this with ivory, champagne, and gold?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
vc10um|1295829128|2830874 said:
sirbenson! How could I forgot about your beautiful dress!?!? :nono: Thank you for the reminder! I am not sure that you will be able to find veiling in a gold colour...but might something like this with ivory, champagne, and gold?

That's pretty close to what I like! I guess I'll have to sharpen my search skills and see what I can find. Someone else recommended that I could pair brown satin shoes with my gold satin dress. Do you think that a gold/ivory birdage veil would clash with the gold dress and brown shoes?

:shock: Oops, just realized I seriously threadjacked! Sorry!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
That's a GORGEOUS birdcage veil! Totally love it.

I don't think it would clash with brown shoes at all.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1295842376|2831104 said:
That's a GORGEOUS birdcage veil! Totally love it.

I don't think it would clash with brown shoes at all.

It was at the top of my list for veils until I realized I'm not really a birdcage veil kind of girl. I'm glad you like it, SB...and you too, sirbenson! And I agree with SB...you could totally rock it with your dress and some brown satin shoes.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1295894637|2831589 said:
It was at the top of my list for veils until I realized I'm not really a birdcage veil kind of girl. I'm glad you like it, SB...and you too, sirbenson! And I agree with SB...you could totally rock it with your dress and some brown satin shoes.
Are you doing a veil at all? I'm still trying to find a chapel length veil, super simple. Unless I'm crazy these seem to be a rarity on Etsy these days! These are the three I've found that seem to fit the bill: one two three. I think I'm leaning towards three. Thoughts?

My exciting news of the day, first with backstory. Back in September I was perusing Etsy when I noticed that a new calligraphy shop had just opened and was offering a deal of $.20 per piece. You read that right!!! Anyway, I hopped right on it.

Well, yesterday I emailed her a draft of my invitations, telling her the script font I used, and asked her opinion of which of her fonts she thought would be best. Well...long story short, after a bit of discussion she's going to add my signature font to her repertoire so the calligraphy will match the invitations! How freaking cool is that?!?!?

Even without the crazy crazy early discount I think her prices are still really reasonable and she does beautiful work and is a pleasure to work with. Anyone looking for calligraphy - check out njw calligraphy on Etsy!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1295896706|2831630 said:
Are you doing a veil at all? I'm still trying to find a chapel length veil, super simple. Unless I'm crazy these seem to be a rarity on Etsy these days! These are the three I've found that seem to fit the bill: one two three. I think I'm leaning towards three. Thoughts?

My exciting news of the day, first with backstory. Back in September I was perusing Etsy when I noticed that a new calligraphy shop had just opened and was offering a deal of $.20 per piece. You read that right!!! Anyway, I hopped right on it.

Well, yesterday I emailed her a draft of my invitations, telling her the script font I used, and asked her opinion of which of her fonts she thought would be best. Well...long story short, after a bit of discussion she's going to add my signature font to her repertoire so the calligraphy will match the invitations! How freaking cool is that?!?!?

Even without the crazy crazy early discount I think her prices are still really reasonable and she does beautiful work and is a pleasure to work with. Anyone looking for calligraphy - check out njw calligraphy on Etsy!

Three! Definitely!!!

I'm trying to brush up on my own calligraphy (I learned when I was younger) and hopefully do my own invites, but I'll look into njw if I end up needing something (menus, perhaps?)...

I'll most likely be doing a fingertip length veil like the one I'm wearing in this picture:

file.jpg

And then switch to a hair flower/fascinator of some sort for the reception.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree about getting lost in all the little details!

FI and I are 'eloping' - not sure if we can call it that since everyone knows, but no one is invited, so I think it still sort of counts. Anyway! The place we're staying does the ceremony as part of our package, so I thought I'd have hardly anything to plan. Wrong! I've been dwelling on how to do my nails for a week or longer now, pretty much any time I have downtime. (Finally decided though, a bright berry pink that I'm in love with.) And I decided I needed undies that say 'bride' on them. Got those and decided I need a garter. Got that and I think I want a necklace. Does it ever end!?!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
crossmyfingers|1295928082|2832202 said:

FI and I are 'eloping' - not sure if we can call it that since everyone knows, but no one is invited, so I think it still sort of counts. Anyway! The place we're staying does the ceremony as part of our package, so I thought I'd have hardly anything to plan. Wrong! I've been dwelling on how to do my nails for a week or longer now, pretty much any time I have downtime. (Finally decided though, a bright berry pink that I'm in love with.) And I decided I needed undies that say 'bride' on them. Got those and decided I need a garter. Got that and I think I want a necklace. Does it ever end!?!
Maybe after the wedding???

vc, I saw this garter and totally thought of you. And this one!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1295941942|2832348 said:
crossmyfingers|1295928082|2832202 said:

Maybe after the wedding???

vc, I saw this garter and totally thought of you. And this one!

crossmyfingers...I'm with SB...I'm going to be looking into all the little things until it's too late to change them...aka, 30 seconds before I walk down the aisle, lol.

SB, those are SO CUTE! If I hadn't been planning on wearing a Michigan garter for the past 9 years, I wouldn't hesitate to order one of those!!! I'll probably be ordering this one...actually, my sister (MOH) will be ordering it because she said she wanted to get it for me!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
My latest thing?

customized napkins for the welcome dinner

GAH!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1296253145|2836061 said:
My latest thing?

customized napkins for the welcome dinner

GAH!

Oooo, that's a fun one.

I'm obsessing over vellum and cardstock for our programs.

But I *did* manage to tackle a big thing today: we have a rehearsal luncheon! Our rehearsal is from 4-5. We wanted to do our rehearsal dinner here. But their dinner prices are outside the budget FI's parents gave us for the meal. Soooooo...we're having a late luncheon at 2 PM there instead! :D AND this way, no one will be late for the rehearsal, since they will all already have been at the meal!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc, I think a rehearsal luncheon sounds awesome! An enjoyable afternoon meal (I love Brio), then you can rehearse and have your night free to just relax with whomever you like. Seems like a great way to kick off the weekend!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
here's what I'm playing around with (to be used during dessert at the welcome dinner). what do you think?

napkinPicture.php.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results