shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting an eye for emerald cuts.

RockyMountain279

Rough_Rock
Hey! I wanted to get a quick opinion on a couple emerald cuts.

1.01 CT. EMERALD CUT DIAMOND
0.90 CT. EMERALD CUT DIAMOND

As I'm still a bit new at assessing emerald cut diamonds... do these seem to have good step patterns and avoid the dead center? Unfortunately other images are not available. Any opinions or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the performance and step pattern of 0.90DVVS.
That is strictly based upon the videos, alone.
Are you able to request ASET images of these for comparison?

Here is stone 1 (1.01GVVS), face-up view:
CD9C0E8C-1CD0-4914-928E-AE2F366F46E0.png

Here is stone 2 (0.90DVVS), face-on view:
25577E83-5004-4169-B881-1F6C16748909.png

RockyMountain279

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately no. I've found it pretty challenging to obtain ASET images from most of the online vendors I've looked at. Would that lack of info be enough to keep looking?

So in comparing those face up shots, I see a more symmetrical appearance in the 0.9. Is that what I should be looking for?

Thank you!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately no. I've found it pretty challenging to obtain ASET images from most of the online vendors I've looked at. Would that lack of info be enough to keep looking?

So in comparing those face up shots, I see a more symmetrical appearance in the 0.9. Is that what I should be looking for?

Thank you!

It’s ok that you cannot get those images. They are super helpful, purchasing online, but not a deal breaker.
What you should be looking for is consistency across the stone. You want the steps to light up and dim in a step pattern from table to center and back up on the other side, as it rotates.
Face up, you want to see brightness and contrast, so light fills the stone, and it looks alive and flashes, even when it’s still.
Both of these stones avoid the “dead center” phenomenon, but 0.90DVVS is cut in a fashion to provide brightness and contrast across the stone, while not in motion.
It is my non-expert opinion, 0.90DVVS is a stronger candidate.
You should place this stone on hold, and ask if Adiamor can provide you with another video of the diamond in different lighting environments and with colored backgrounds to confirm it performs as this video suggests it should.
If they are not able to do that, what is the return policy/window?
You should at least be able to examine the diamond IRL, in familiar lighting environments that you and your intended use frequently, and get an up close examination of how the stone performs in direct sunlight, indirect sunlight, soft indoor lighting, etc.
That should be enough to help you decide if you want to keep that stone, or return and keep looking.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re concerned about losing size by going with the lower carat weight, here is a virtual comparison of both EC’s on a size 6 finger, side by side.

Profile stills of both stones:

1.01GVVS:
7CA4CEF7-51F3-42D1-AA6B-AC4F5111795E.png

0.90DVVS:
BDC12BE1-F2F0-4C1E-A121-653F704831B3.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the .9 . The center on the 1.01 is a little questionable. Might be ok in person. As @Matthews1127 posted, an aset image for
these stones would be very helpful.

RockyMountain279

Rough_Rock
Great! Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately they cannot provide any ASET or additional images. They have a 30 day return policy though. In cases like this is it best to receive the diamond loose for inspection? Or can it be adequately inspected when in a setting?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately they cannot provide any ASET or additional images. They have a 30 day return policy though. In cases like this is it best to receive the diamond loose for inspection? Or can it be adequately inspected when in a setting?

I examined my EC unset. So did DH. It’s easier to manipulate the stone unset, not to mention, what if you don’t like the stone IRL? Now, it has to be unset and returned....unless the same vendor is setting the stone. In which case, the whole thing goes back.
That would be up to you. If you set it, you’ll know if metal is seen through the stone in a way that does not please you, and you can see if you can see the skin through the stone, while it’s on the finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results