shape
carat
color
clarity

Georg Jensen jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stargazer

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has some nice Georg Jensen jewellery that they would be happy to post pictures of?

Today I received a Georg Jensen 1998 pendant with Lapis Lazuli cabouchon, It''s gorgeous and I''m delighted with it.(will try to post some pictures, but last time I tried- for my ring, I just couldn''t do it). I wondered how much of this make of jewellery there is ''out there'', as I''m a fairly new convert to it.

I know its been around for a long time but I rarely see any of it. Maybe I live in the wrong place!

Looking forward to replys.. please
Thanks

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any Georg Jensen jewelry, but my mother bought 8 place settings of his silver in the 1940s. She divided them between my brother and me, although she is still living! I already had a set of Tiffany silver, but my brother tried to match the settings she had given him. He was unable to since the pattern no longer exists. (I have no idea if he looked into replacement services.) He was able to get a close match and is happy with it. I have a soft spot for real Georg Jensen designs, however. I would love to see what jewelry everyone has by him.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got off the phone with my mother. The name of her silver pattern is Frontier Plain. She thought it might still be made in Denmark although it is no longer sold in the United States. In the course of the conversation I also found out that she has a Georg Jensen silver pin and earrings! Who wold thunk it!? I told her I would like to photograph them the next time I''m in Connecticut.

Deb :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Georg Jensen is a very old Copenhagan silversmithery. Presently, the are a conglomerate owned by Royal Copenhagan.

Georg Jensen was a man who opened a silvershop in the first part of the century. He made gorgeous Arts & Crafts jewelry. Many of designs are still produced today. The most famous is the "Dove" motif, especially in a pin. His popularity grew and so did his firm. He hired top notch designers to continue to produce different designs. The early pieces were made entirely by hand. Then, they became more mass produced using some hand & some fabricating techniques. It''s easy to date the pre 1930 pieces as those were signed GJ. Post 1945 or so is more difficult - as I said some designs are *still* in production. The most common pieces one sees are pins. His work is very recognizable. Personally, the most inspiring pieces are the more "moderne" (ca 1950 design) designs by Henning Koppel - amoeba type forms interlocking like puzzles.

Georg Jensen is and has always been top tier and expensive. I probably have some pieces; but, I tend to collect individual crafts people instead of "firms". Georg Jensen''s early pieces by him are rare and very expensive. More expensive than most diamonds.

One note, during WWII, we weren''t able to import continental silver. Georg Jensen U.S.A produced their own nearly all handwrought designs by Americans made by Americans. It is those pieces that I am most interested in - though they are thought of (presently) as a poor relation.

There are quite a few reference materials out there. A entire Shiffer book was dedicated to Georg Jensen. The Drucker''s (long time dealers & collectors of Jensen) authored the book. If you are seriously interested, I would advise getting that book - if not for the GREAT eye candy.

When I return home, I will photo what I have & some pics in the book.

This is all off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2005 5:19
6.gif
3 AM
Author:Stargazer
Hi,
I wondered how much of this make of jewellery there is 'out there', as I'm a fairly new convert to it.

I know its been around for a long time but I rarely see any of it. Maybe I live in the wrong place!

Looking forward to replys.. please
Thanks
Oh, it's out there. It really isn't too terribly rare; but, it is highly collected and sought after. A dealer who specializes in designer silver is the person to seek out. I see it on ebay as well. The pendant you described is a "yearly anniversary" one they produce. Those trade for a relatively inexpensive price on ebay.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the information, F&I. You seem to know a lot about the Georg Jensen name. I know nothing, except that my mother had his flatware. Like Stargazer, I am now interested in learning more. Thank you for the first lesson!

Deb

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don''t know if this will be considered "nice", but it is certainly one of my favorite pieces--a vintage Jensen cab amethyst ring purchased while in Denmark some years ago. Although it was enjoyed for many years before I bought it at the GJ studio in Copenhagen, it still bears its original markings on the shank. I only regret not also buying this incredible 22K oval link bracelet they had in the studio....I still pine over that piece....

cheers--Sharon

GG1.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2005 3:55
6.gif
6 PM
Author: AGBF
I just got off the phone with my mother. The name of her silver pattern is Frontier Plain. She thought it might still be made in Denmark although it is no longer sold in the United States. In the course of the conversation I also found out that she has a Georg Jensen silver pin and earrings! Who wold thunk it!? I told her I would like to photograph them the next time I''m in Connecticut.

Deb :)
I think the pattern is just called "Frontier". No, I don''t think it''s in current production. But, flatware & holloware are not my strong points. If you are interested in adding to the set, I would contact druckerantiques.com. Or search the web for other Jensen dealers.

I''d be interested in the design of the pin & e.r. Every New England Blue blood wouldn''t be complete without some G. Jensen.
28.gif
9.gif

Honestly, it''s pricey stuff. I don''t know if they still do; but, Georg Jensen had a shop in the NYC.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Canuk gal - I LOVE that ring. The moderne stuff is more interesting to me. Does it have the initials of the designer inside the ring? Torun, ND ?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Age and infirmity F & I--I am having trouble reading the markings, as they are slightly worn. But if I "strain" my eyes and with aid of a cheap magnifying glass I can see what appears to be a "N" in a circle or a G???

I guess that begs the question, if it is not to inane, what do his markings/initials appear like?

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Here's the classic post 1945 mark. Rings are funny as sometimes they are marked with the mark in the second post - a conjoined GJ.

Sometimes, they are also signed by the designer. Torun, Nanna Diztel (ND), H. Koppel (HK) I was wondering whether your ring was - more than likely it was designed by Torun, Diztel or Gabrielson. But, sometimes just the Jensen mark is on the piece.

jensenmark.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2005 6:10:29 PM
Author: fire&ice
Here''s the classic post 1945 mark. Rings are funny as sometimes they are marked with the mark in the second post - a conjoined GJ.

Sometimes, they are also signed by the designer. Torun, Nanna Diztel (ND), H. Koppel (HK) I was wondering whether your ring was - more than likely it was designed by Torun, Diztel or Gabrielson. But, sometimes just the Jensen mark is on the piece.
Well, I can''t get a shot of the mark on small items. But, it''s a G w/ a J going through it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2005 6:13:28 PM

Here''s the classic post 1945 mark. Rings are funny as sometimes they are marked with the mark in the second post - a conjoined GJ.

Well, I can''t get a shot of the mark on small items. But, it''s a G w/ a J going through it.
HI:

Thanks for your excellent input F & I! I have found a better magnifying glass which afforded me a better view of the stamp, and it "appears" to be G w/ a J going thru it. I had the ring resized, but luckily the stamp is under the stone (top of shank) hence sparing further deterioration of the original stamp.

I recall asking the girl in the studio if this ring was in fact one of their own--and she replied it was as they didn''t take trade in''s of other designers jewellery--but I do not recall who she said designed it (not that it would have made any difference to me since I bought the ring for its "appearance"). At any rate it was not costly and I have treasured it for sentimental reasons.

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2005 6:56:34 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 3/6/2005 6:13:28 PM

HI:

Thanks for your excellent input F & I! I have found a better magnifying glass which afforded me a better view of the stamp, and it ''appears'' to be G w/ a J going thru it. I had the ring resized, but luckily the stamp is under the stone (top of shank) hence sparing further deterioration of the original stamp.

I recall asking the girl in the studio if this ring was in fact one of their own--and she replied it was as they didn''t take trade in''s of other designers jewellery--but I do not recall who she said designed it (not that it would have made any difference to me since I bought the ring for its ''appearance''). At any rate it was not costly and I have treasured it for sentimental reasons.

cheers--Sharon
Cool - a fellow appeciator of moderne (yes, that is the correct spelling
28.gif
) of moderne design!!!

Most definitely G. Jensen. I ''m having a brain F*rt about which designer.

ENJOY!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2005 10:54:19 AM

One note, during WWII, we weren''t able to import continental silver. Georg Jensen U.S.A produced their own nearly all handwrought designs by Americans made by Americans. It is those pieces that I am most interested in - though they are thought of (presently) as a poor relation.

I am in Connecticut, staying at my parents'' house until Easter, and I visited my safe deposit box. The flatware I have is the poor relation (wouldn''t you know it!). The back says "Georg Jensen, USA" (or possibly "United States"). (I don''t have a piece next to me at the computer to check.)

I could have guessed this because my parents were married in October, 1941, right before Pearl Harbor, and my father enlisted in 1941-serving in Europe until demobilization in 1946. That would mean my mother was setting up what household goods she could (it wasn''t a time where people were wasting anything) during World War II.

I assume that my mother''s jewelry pieces (she has promised to look for them) are also Georg Jensen, United States, and therefore *NOT* more valuable than diamonds! Nonetheless, you have piqued my interest in Georg Jensen jewelry, F&I, and I look forward to seeing them, even if they do not have great monetary value!

Deb

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
AGBF - I said they *presently* are considered the poor relation. I believe this will change over time. By far, the Jensen USA stuff interests me more. It was soley crafted by hand as opposed to the more manufactured Jensen Denmark. It is also far more rare - having been produced for a much shorter period of time.

I can't see to far with my crystal ball; so, the value increase may not happen. BUT - I know I think highly of the Jensen USA stuff. Enjoy the more rare, historical & all handwrought aspects of Jensen USA!
36.gif

Edited to add: it's relative monetary value. The Jensen USA stuff is *still* expensive. Sold a pin in Feb for close to $400.00. Sold a set last year for close to 1k.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I am back from Connecticut, but I never saw the Georg Jensen jewelry. My uncle has been seriously ill for months and is in the hospital and my daughter had a cold for most of the visit. Between her concerns over the two invalids, my mother didn''t have the energy to search for jewelry! I made some jewelry purchases, however, and also took some items out of my safe deposit box. I hope to post about them in various threads with some photos. Once the photos are taken! Today is grocery shopping day, however, not photography day!

Deb

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I was reading the brochure for "Jewelry Camp" the 26th annual Antique & Period Jewelry and Gemstone Conference and noticed there is a 45min seminar Sunday, July 17th titled "Georg Jensen: 100 Years of Design." The speaker is listed as Janet Drucker, the author of Georg Jensen: A tradition of Splendid Silver.

I remembered this thread and thought of y''all posting here
1.gif

If anyone was considering attending this year maybe you want to make sure you''re there on Sunday!

www.jewelrycamp.org

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2005 4:04:01 PM
AGBF - I said they *presently* are considered the poor relation. I believe this will change over time. By far, the Jensen USA stuff interests me more. It was soley crafted by hand as opposed to the more manufactured Jensen Denmark. It is also far more rare - having been produced for a much shorter period of time.

I can't see to far with my crystal ball; so, the value increase may not happen. BUT - I know I think highly of the Jensen USA stuff. Enjoy the more rare, historical; all handwrought aspects of Jensen USA!
36.gif

I found out that the silver flatware my mother had (and gave to my brother and me) is Georg Jensen USA. I suspect that her pin and whatever else she has are also Jensen USA. She has now found the jewelry and I should be able to see it when I go to Connecticut again at the end of the month. I will post pictures!

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOVE georg jensen. can''t wait for the pictures!

peace, movie zombie

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Look forward to seeing it! You should WEAR the pin. You will be amazed at how many people will find it recognizable.
2.gif

Yes, jewelry camp is great fun. Janet Drucker knows her Jensen.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2005 10:42:51 AM
Look forward to seeing it! You should WEAR the pin. You will be amazed at how many people will find it recognizable.
2.gif

Well...I am in Connecticut and my mother gave me an ancient cardboard box held together with rubber bands. In it was a tarnished Georg Jensen pin and matching earrings. I told her I'd like to take it all home to photograph it. She said I could have them. I feel guilty taking them because I know I will never wear them. For many years I have worn only classic looking yellow gold pieces and cultured pearls. Now I am interested in high karat gold jewelry that looks as if it might have been unearthed in an archaeological dig. I can't see myself in this set. I do have a daughter, though, so i guess I can pass them down! I will clean them up; photograph them; and post the photos. Fire&ice should have these...she would probably appreciate them.

Deb

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any GG expect silver set.
however here is the site and you can check necklace!
there is lot of GG shop at shopping center in the Japan

http://www.georgjensen.co.jp/

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!

You should wear them. They are considered "classic" in the purest of sense. And, once you start wearing pins, you won''t stop! I mix silver and gold all the time. Have some sense of adventure.
28.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2005 10:16:20 AM
PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!

You should wear them. They are considered ''classic'' in the purest of sense. And, once you start wearing pins, you won''t stop! I mix silver and gold all the time. Have some sense of adventure.
28.gif
in complete agreement, F&I....

peace, movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned that my mother gave me her Georg Jensen jewelry in an old cardboard box. I almost threw it out, but was glad I did not. This was inside the lid.

GeorJensenLogo.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the lid of the box. It surely does look old...and is! My mother bought it between 1941 and 1946 in New York City while my father was overseas during World War II.

GeorgJensenBox.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the pin as I received it, tarnished.

GeorhJensenPinNotPolished.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the pin with the matching earrings as I received them, tarnished.

GeorgJensenPinEarrings.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 1:47:12 PM
Author: AGBF
This is the pin as I received it, tarnished.
Hah! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! That''s a cabachon moonstone in the center - and a classic motif! You can remove the tarnish from the high spots. Don''t take to a jeweler to polish it.

How exactly is the pin marked. And, I''m glad you didn''t throw out that box. Even in it''s seemingly tattered state, it increases the value.

You definitely should wear. I''ll post a pin that is by an American called Lawrence Foss that is very similar. Man, did they "borrow" each other''s design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results