shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it is kosher to share a video on PS that was sent in an email...it is pretty, but might be a bit more purple than I was after - granted the video is indoor lighting.

Here is a terrible and likely useless screenshot.... :D

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 12.20.14 PM.png

Thanks so much for your thoughts. It's weird, there are a mix of videos, and not. I get that the price is low so a video may not be a great use of time, but the purple sapphire for $50 more has one...anyways.

I think you are right, RE returns, (I know what you mean by bother - if it was even a smidge more expensive, I might feel differently)... $250 is incredibly low stakes compared to other gem purchases....it is a very pretty, saturated color, I like that it is a well cut sapphire for a very reasonable price. I am drawn to it, by no means is it a dream stone. I was hoping it showed more red, less purple. Still might sleep on it....the question for me is - will it be nice enough to set?

My goal is a glowy, reddish / pink stone (a juicy spinel or ruby), but what I want will be in the thousands and is years off (I have a few other priorities first, both financially and with jewelry, hah!) - so I thought - this might be a fun one to bide my time! I was assuming I'd only find a garnet for a small budget...hmmm

Cerulean, I've definitely tried out these more included gems, and returned them before. They are very beautiful in their own right. Gene definitely prices them at a very attractive point.

For what it's worth, I'm no longer grabbing every loose gem I like. I went crazy in 2019, then realized in 2020 I get more satisfaction from setting gems than collecting more gem jars. So I'm between 80-100 rings now, and I have a lot of color in my collection. Thus, I'm pickier with gems and have to consider if I can set the gem in a way that produces a different ring from what I already have, and if I will really wear that different ring given what's already in my collection.

So this is my roundabout way of saying, I think that color looks really attractive to me, and if you a) don't have too many gems of a similar color and b) do like the look of that sapphire, I would totally encourage you to get it. It certainly beats any rhodolite garnet in any outdoor lighting!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Cerulean, I've definitely tried out these more included gems, and returned them before. They are very beautiful in their own right. Gene definitely prices them at a very attractive point.

For what it's worth, I'm no longer grabbing every loose gem I like. I went crazy in 2019, then realized in 2020 I get more satisfaction from setting gems than collecting more gem jars. So I'm between 80-100 rings now, and I have a lot of color in my collection. Thus, I'm pickier with gems and have to consider if I can set the gem in a way that produces a different ring from what I already have, and if I will really wear that different ring given what's already in my collection.

So this is my roundabout way of saying, I think that color looks really attractive to me, and if you a) don't have too many gems of a similar color and b) do like the look of that sapphire, I would totally encourage you to get it. It certainly beats any rhodolite garnet in any outdoor lighting!

I do appreciate your insights - I basically only have one unset gem, a chrysoprase, (meager by PS standards) and imagine I’ll never own a collection of larger than ~10 high quality rings (likely even including bands, and by high quality I mean not some random silver ring I picked up a flea market on a vacation) - so trying to be judicious about what I buy and only want to buy things I know I will set one day. I know I will have no budget to set anything more than a sapphire I have for 2021, which is another reason I am hesitant. But it’s a lovely price for a lovely color!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well - the red is just not picking up in the photos at all.

It looks so much less pink / violet (almost mauve?) than photos suggest IRL - if anything it is more maroon / deep red with violet undertones - it is a pretty little stone! this stone has also helped me learn I honestly really don't care about inclusions nearly as much as many PSers...

Photos with my iphone...
IMG-5045.jpg
IMG-5044.jpg
IMG-5041.jpg

Photos with an Android

IMG-5048.JPG

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock

It looks so much less pink / violet (almost mauve?) than photos suggest IRL - if anything it is more maroon / deep red with violet undertones - it is a pretty little stone! this stone has also helped me learn I honestly really don't care about inclusions nearly as much as many PSers...

Photos with my iphone...
IMG-5045.jpg
IMG-5044.jpg
IMG-5041.jpg

Photos with an Android

IMG-5048.JPG
I love how saturated it looks.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Photos with my iphone...
IMG-5045.jpg
IMG-5044.jpg
IMG-5041.jpg

Photos with an Android

IMG-5048.JPG

Oh, I love it! :kiss2: The nice and bright and the color seems to outweigh the inclusions. That’s a winner in my book.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Photos with my iphone...
IMG-5045.jpg
IMG-5044.jpg
IMG-5041.jpg

Photos with an Android

IMG-5048.JPG

I love inclusions, I think of them as fingerprints.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really love that lilac Umba sapphire with the rutile inclusions. I was able to catch a couple of Gene’s pink-purple Umba sapphires previously, and I really enjoy them. The rutile is really beautiful under a loupe.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Please forgive my tardiness. I snagged this gorgeous pink spinel just after Christmas. Gene was a dream to work with. This is a 6.4 pink spinel. It truly is pink though the camera shows some purple. I plan to set it in a pre loved Summer BG setting that I've recently purchased and waiting to arrive. 20210113_145953.jpg 20210113_145959.jpg 20210113_150006.jpg 20210113_150055.jpg 20210113_150105.jpg

Attachments

• 20210115_155617.jpg
    20210115_155617.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 25

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New drop! I’m loving that new cut on the yag and that color on the tsav is killer! Somebody needs to buy it so I can stop with my itchy trigger finger. :lol: I probably would have bought that purple sapphire but it sold out already. Here’s hoping it was to a PSer so I can at least drool over it some more. :mrgreen:

5F049ACC-5782-4452-8A3F-57327FDA39B3.jpeg

New drop! I’m loving that new cut on the yag and that color on the tsav is killer! Somebody needs to buy it so I can stop with my itchy trigger finger. :lol: I probably would have bought that purple sapphire but it sold out already. Here’s hoping it was to a PSer so I can at least drool over it some more. :mrgreen:

5F049ACC-5782-4452-8A3F-57327FDA39B3.jpeg

Omahgawd, you're killin me here! I almost put that purple sapphire in my cart too. ;(

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love that lilac Umba sapphire with the rutile inclusions. I was able to catch a couple of Gene’s pink-purple Umba sapphires previously, and I really enjoy them. The rutile is really beautiful under a loupe.

I hear you on interesting inclusions. I have a small tsavorite garnet from Gene and it has these really neat inclusions under a loupe. It’s like a miniature work of art. :mrgreen:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please forgive my tardiness. I snagged this gorgeous pink spinel just after Christmas. Gene was a dream to work with. This is a 6.4 pink spinel. It truly is pink though the camera shows some purple. I plan to set it in a pre loved Summer BG setting that I've recently purchased and waiting to arrive. 20210113_145953.jpg 20210113_145959.jpg 20210113_150006.jpg 20210113_150055.jpg 20210113_150105.jpg

It looks beautiful! Have you had a chance to set it yet? Or is that a long term project?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness these are not the right shape for my empty setting or I'll be even more tempted!

I’m late to the game. Gene dropped a few new stones to his site. Of the new drop, only the purple sapphire is still available.

07C5A586-B935-418E-B69D-5C7544CA469D.jpeg

That purple sapphire is the exact dimensions I'm looking for, but I have so many purple pieces! I was really looking for something pink or green, maybe even blue, this time... boo.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I had shared this in another thread, but here is a blue spinel I had ordered from Gene:

20210204_140432.jpg

The process was super easy and it only took him about a week to cut it.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had shared this in another thread, but here is a blue spinel I had ordered from Gene:

20210204_140432.jpg

The process was super easy and it only took him about a week to cut it.

Ooh, it looks beautiful! I’m really partial to his signature round cut. They’re always so sparkly. :kiss2:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
New drop!

2CD4D813-DFC2-4CC7-A08E-F54A50C0B653.jpeg

I want that pink one!!! Gahh!
I'm looking for a soft pinky peach stone like a morganite. Will this stone scratch this itch or should I wait for the right morganite or lab sapphire?

Hope somebody buys it quick so it's no longer an option for me :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want that pink one!!! Gahh!
I'm looking for a soft pinky peach stone like a morganite. Will this stone scratch this itch or should I wait for the right morganite or lab sapphire?

Hope somebody buys it quick so it's no longer an option for me :)

Color preferences are subjective. Gene’s post did note that it’s more peach in incandescent and more pink outside. I think if you want something that looks more pink inside, you should pass on this one. If you love peach tones, then this one may work for you.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Color preferences are subjective. Gene’s post did note that it’s more peach in incandescent and more pink outside. I think if you want something that looks more pink inside, you should pass on this one. If you love peach tones, then this one may work for you.

Thanks for the tips! I have quite a bit of trouble interpreting colour in vendor photos sometimes. I did buy what I thought was pink before only for it to be more salmon.

I am definitely after a baby pink with some peach, rather than have peach be the dominant tone, especially indoors.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
That mahenge garnet is beautiful! I’m hoping a PSer got it and will share more pictures! I bought the green tourmaline that’s shaped almost like a flower from his last drop and it’s beautiful. Gemstones are such a dangerous addiction!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the cuprian tourmaline, but then emailed him that I can't buy it because I forgot I still have to make final payment on an emerald and sapphire. :cry2: Luckily, there were others who wanted it. But I'm still going to pout for a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results