shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I felt as you do, I would most likely return it. I have found that there is almost always a better one that comes along - if we can just have the patience. :whistle:

Thank you for the advice! I am new to CS, I have admired them for long and have a small (read: inexpensive) collection, but I have recently been drawn to them and I just want to be careful with my decision making :) thanks again, I will probably return it and wait for something else to come along :)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the yellow zircon—the color and the cut!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought it. :love: The color is fabulous and I have a thing for garnets, so when Gene restocked, I went for it. I have never spent so much on a stone, but I've decided to stop buying little "silly" stones, and just buy a few that wow me. I found a bunch of stones I bought about 10 years ago, mainly on eBay. What a waste, although some were only $10. :wall: I'll post pictures when this baby arrives!

I'm so excited for you! :dance: The color is something special and the garnet is huge. :love: I'm excited to see what you think of it in person. I hope you come back to post pics.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the yellow zircon—the color and the cut!

I thought that yellow zircon was really beautiful as well. It looked nice and bright! :love:

@Cockatiel I admit that I save the picture like that because it's far easier than saving each individual gem. Turns out that I'm just lazy like that. :oops: :lol: Either way, I'm glad you like them posted that way. This weeks color line up was really neat too.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased the pink sapphire, but I am so conflicted when it comes to deciding if I should keep it or return it :cry2: I love the color in incandescent light and it is interesting that it shifts to a lavender hue in daylight. The inclusions seem to be my deal-breaker, but it is still a beautiful stone! Here are some images for your viewing (please pardon the poor quality pics and unmanicured look)
D00EA6FF-C015-43EA-921D-5A03FD1BFEF4.jpeg
080B91BB-14CA-4CFF-91CD-5AD234E564D1.jpeg
289D99E1-E1A4-4031-AED1-5F9D2F55F6C2.jpeg
D2AB128E-DBC9-491C-81FA-EA19CFC515C5.jpeg

Honestly, I would send it back. You don't seem to love it. I've kept a lot of gems over the years that I'm not totally in love with. Eventually, they end up being sold (always at a lesser cost) or sitting, under appreciated, in my gem box.

I bought and returned a pink sapphire from Chris A because it didn't wow me in daylight. Under my indoor lights, though, it looked gorgeous. If only it could have had that color all the time.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I would send it back. You don't seem to love it. I've kept a lot of gems over the years that I'm not totally in love with. Eventually, they end up being sold (always at a lesser cost) or sitting, under appreciated, in my gem box.

I bought and returned a pink sapphire from Chris A because it didn't wow me in daylight. Under my indoor lights, though, it looked gorgeous. If only it could have had that color all the time.

Thanks for the honest advice. I pretty much feel the same way about this sapphire. I have been after a hot pink and preferably untreated gem and this one looks amazing indoors. My local jelewer even commented on how amazing it looks and how great the cut is, but I am not loving the color shift. I am sure that someone else will appreciate it because it is a beautiful stone overall. Thanks again!

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought it. :love: The color is fabulous and I have a thing for garnets, so when Gene restocked, I went for it. I have never spent so much on a stone, but I've decided to stop buying little "silly" stones, and just buy a few that wow me. I found a bunch of stones I bought about 10 years ago, mainly on eBay. What a waste, although some were only $10. :wall: I'll post pictures when this baby arrives!

Has it come in yet? I'm dying to see pics. ;)2

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It came a few days ago. I've tried several times to take photos, but I'm sosososo bad at it, that I'm embarrassed to post them. Oh, well. I wasn't feeling the love for this, but I carried it around with me today and cannot believe how spectacular it is! Is is really sparkly! IMG_9672.JPG IMG_9674.JPG IMG_9675.JPG

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hard with new stones to decide whether they are keepers or not. If I could do it all again, I would have been far more discerning in the stones I kept, treating many of them as learning stones with a willingness to pay the shipping to return them if they were not exactly what I was looking for (as I pretty quickly learned that almost always, something even better would come along). So that said, unless you are seeking an orange brown stone, I would return it. Full disclosure: one of the first stones I ever bought was one very similar to this in color and cut from Gene, which had so little resale value (PSers in general don't like brownish stones) that I ended up giving it away. I hope I'm wrong and yours is very different, but just wanted you as a newcomer to know that not all stones and not all cutters are created equal. There are only a few that maintain their value on resale, with Barry Bridgestock, Roger Dery and Jeff White leading the pack.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are only a few that maintain their value on resale, with Barry Bridgestock, Roger Dery and Jeff White leading the pack.

But even those sellers sometimes have duds that don't resell well. I purchased a stone from Jeff White that I really disliked. I sold it at a loss, than that person sold it and it exchanged hands maybe a couple more times, losing most of its original purchase price. At least I knew I wasn't crazy not liking that stone. I thought I could sell it and save the restocking fee he charges, but I didn't.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. This stone is much prettier in person, but I think it is just too brown for me. I only caught a glimpse of a beautiful orange when I was in the shade, otherwise it is rather brown. I think for the price, $1400, I should be skipping around the house, not wondering if it's my soulmate! So, back it goes.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. This stone is much prettier in person, but I think it is just too brown for me. I only caught a glimpse of a beautiful orange when I was in the shade, otherwise it is rather brown. I think for the price, $1400, I should be skipping around the house, not wondering if it's my soulmate! So, back it goes.

I'll admit I was hoping a for little more orange / peach. I can't tell you the number of gems I've bought because they look amazing online only to find them rather lackluster in person. If you don't love it straight out of the box, you should send it back. I'm glad you are sending this one back but sad because I know you must be disappointed. I'm sure something better will come along soon and you'll be glad you waited. :D

Ps. I'm with @T L and @minousbijoux on resale value. It blows! :P2

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too bad it turned out to be more brown than expected. I was hoping for more peach. You are right in sending it back. Another stone will come along. =)2

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really wanted to love it! As I packed it up, a beautiful orange caught my eye, but it wasn't enough. There was still that brown edge... I will keep looking for my "stunner."

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow the umbalite and zircon are both gone already, i hope we see pics!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow the umbalite and zircon are both gone already, i hope we see pics!

They go super fast. There's actually still one zircon left. It's in the second row. I prefer the cutting and color a bit more on the one that's already sold though. :D

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How quickly do they go? I’m not in the market to buy anything this time because I’m going to a gem show next month, but I received the e-mail at 2:07. I probably checked e-mail at 2:40 while waiting in carpool or at 4, during my son’s piano lesson and other than the concave tourmaline, everything was gone. It’s like this every time. Thank you for posting Elle!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The deep pad sapphire is really beautiful. :love: Gene’s doing a wider variety of cutting styles these days. It’s exciting to see what he posts each week or so.

Is there a thread for pictures of set stones we got from Gene? Is this a good place to put a few?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The deep pad sapphire is really beautiful. :love: Gene’s doing a wider variety of cutting styles these days. It’s exciting to see what he posts each week or so.

Is there a thread for pictures of set stones we got from Gene? Is this a good place to put a few?
Oww! That’s a great idea!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How quickly do they go? I’m not in the market to buy anything this time because I’m going to a gem show next month, but I received the e-mail at 2:07. I probably checked e-mail at 2:40 while waiting in carpool or at 4, during my son’s piano lesson and other than the concave tourmaline, everything was gone. It’s like this every time. Thank you for posting Elle!

They go FAST! Often in less than 10 minutes the popular choices are already gone. It took me 3 tries to finally get one (a pink tourmaline that I have since dropped and ruined). :-o Just keep trying!

I like seeing some new cutting styles too. Keeps it interesting. :D A new thread for Gene's set stones is a great idea! You can, of course post them here as well. :twisted2:

Oww! That’s a great idea!
+1 :D

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whoa! Gone in 10 minutes is fast! I guess I’ll have to be extra stealthy when I want to buy one.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm disappointed that he listed the sapphire as a padparadscha. If his photo is representative, I sincerely doubt any respected lab would agree with that designation.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They go FAST! Often in less than 10 minutes the popular choices are already gone. It took me 3 tries to finally get one (a pink tourmaline that I have since dropped and ruined). :-o Just keep trying!

I like seeing some new cutting styles too. Keeps it interesting. :D A new thread for Gene's set stones is a great idea! You can, of course post them here as well. :twisted2:

+1 :D

Oh crap Elle did it hit a hard floor? Tourmaline make me nervous because of how brittle they are but then I keep hearing stories of people chipping spinels as well.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap Elle did it hit a hard floor? Tourmaline make me nervous because of how brittle they are but then I keep hearing stories of people chipping spinels as well.

Yes!!! I dropped it on a tile floor. An awful experience I'd like to never repeat! :cry2: Now I try to play with my gems at a table or with something nice and soft underneath. You live and you learn. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results