shape
carat
color
clarity

Gastric Sleeve

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Success!! Lol it took one bottle of mag citrate.

Now I can get on with my life and now that I’m on regular foods, I can incorporate fiber and hopefully won’t have this problem on this level again.

Thanks for the support!

Oh and PS.... prunes are not bad at all! I get travelers stomach and get blocked up the day before a trip lol, so now I know to travel with “dried plums” (did you know the prune industry is rebranding to dried plums lol)

A whole bottle?!!! I would hope it worked. That stuff is like TNT for your guts. And "dried plums"? I guess "prunes" got too much of a bad rap.

Quick question... what does hunger feel like for you now? Do you get hungry, or more have to remind yourself to eat?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A whole bottle?!!! I would hope it worked. That stuff is like TNT for your guts. And "dried plums"? I guess "prunes" got too much of a bad rap.

Quick question... what does hunger feel like for you now? Do you get hungry, or more have to remind yourself to eat?

I found out milk of magnesia works very well and isn’t violent.

I do still get hungry if I go hours without eating, but it’s not that old ravenous OMG I’m going to die if I don’t get food feeling.

it’s more like “hey, we could use some food down here— I think you forgot to eat, thanks.”

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take Metamucil? I find that works wonders. And my gastroenterologist recommended for me when I got over the C-Diff. I use it daily. Feel well. You look fabulous!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take Metamucil? I find that works wonders. And my gastroenterologist recommended for me when I got over the C-Diff. I use it daily. Feel well. You look fabulous!

I’ll add it to my list, thanks!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love stewed prunes...simmered in a little water with lemon juice.
You are looking amazing! the things you are having to go through seem so worth it. And once you’ve adjusted, you’ll never have to look back!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Success!! Lol it took one bottle of mag citrate.

Now I can get on with my life and now that I’m on regular foods, I can incorporate fiber and hopefully won’t have this problem on this level again.

Thanks for the support!

Oh and PS.... prunes are not bad at all! I get travelers stomach and get blocked up the day before a trip lol, so now I know to travel with “dried plums” (did you know the prune industry is rebranding to dried plums lol)

Yay!!! Definitely a huge relief when one is backed up for a while and then finally sweet relief. And prunes are not only good for that they’re good for you and a sweet treat. Best wishes for continued healing and may the rest be easy.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update— made 4 weeks Monday. Down 8 pounds total.

it’s definitely going slowly, so I’m going to start tracking intake and walk more.

before surgery, I would have killed for 8 pounds in a month. I can tell I’m losing inches as well. Clothes are loose and when I look at myself in the mirror, I can see.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

it’s definitely going slowly, so I’m going to start tracking intake and walk more.

before surgery, I would have killed for 8 pounds in a month. I can tell I’m losing inches as well. Clothes are loose and when I look at myself in the mirror, I can see.

This is fantastic progress! Perhaps a bit slower is better for your body anyway? If walking get boring, can you ride a bike? I have been out biking a lot lately and it is fun!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

That's wonderful! Slow and steady is best for weight loss. Pleased for you this is working out well!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpg

Excuse the mess. We are on tropical storm schedule for the dogs lol.

Colleagues of my husband ( a married doctor pair) donated this to my cause. I had put it on blast on FB that I was looking to buy one of these if anyone had one they wanted to sell. They gifted it to me— hardly used since the 90s.

I’m so excited!!!!

Except I’m up 4 pounds now.

I had a nice talk with the dietitian on Friday. She reminded me of a few things:

1) success is measured at one year. It’s only been one month for me.

2) the slow starters/slow losers have better long term success because the people who lose 20-30-40 pounds the first month are destroying their muscle mass.

3) you will lose inches before pounds, which is interesting. I do see I look smaller and my clothes are super loose.

0B27EA6E-AAD0-4490-9428-45B0865AC732.jpeg

4) scales are stupid, bodies are weird and sometimes nothing makes sense, but I’m doing nothing wrong and to stay the course.

5) she had heard this complaint so often over the years that she knows its part of the process for some (no loss, small losses, scale shows weight up etc). She promises me to just hold on and some people take a month or two to start losing at a steady rate.

6) take miralax with my morning coffee. This is another thing she hears often and she also thinks this is messing up my water balance.

7) slow loss is going to be much better for my skin

So, be warned, there are many mind f*cks involved with this surgery and they start immediately.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpg

Excuse the mess. We are on tropical storm schedule for the dogs lol.

Colleagues of my husband ( a married doctor pair) donated this to my cause. I had put it on blast on FB that I was looking to buy one of these if anyone had one they wanted to sell. They gifted it to me— hardly used since the 90s.

I’m so excited!!!!

Except I’m up 4 pounds now.

I had a nice talk with the dietitian on Friday. She reminded me of a few things:

1) success is measured at one year. It’s only been one month for me.

2) the slow starters/slow losers have better long term success because the people who lose 20-30-40 pounds the first month are destroying their muscle mass.

3) you will lose inches before pounds, which is interesting. I do see I look smaller and my clothes are super loose.

0B27EA6E-AAD0-4490-9428-45B0865AC732.jpeg

4) scales are stupid, bodies are weird and sometimes nothing makes sense, but I’m doing nothing wrong and to stay the course.

5) she had heard this complaint so often over the years that she knows its part of the process for some (no loss, small losses, scale shows weight up etc). She promises me to just hold on and some people take a month or two to start losing at a steady rate.

6) take miralax with my morning coffee. This is another thing she hears often and she also thinks this is messing up my water balance.

7) slow loss is going to be much better for my skin

So, be warned, there are many mind f*cks involved with this surgery and they start immediately.

Yay for the bike! We've actually upgraded to a Peloton which I'm mentioning because you can use the Peloton app (access to all classes) on any device for $12.99 a month! You can just air the classes on your TV, phone, tablet, whatever, and it'll give you great guidance for the bike.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for the bike! We've actually upgraded to a Peloton which I'm mentioning because you can use the Peloton app (access to all classes) on any device for $12.99 a month! You can just air the classes on your TV, phone, tablet, whatever, and it'll give you great guidance for the bike.

Oh cool thanks.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. What an interesting progression of things! It sort of sounds like for some people their bodies rebel a bit at first. It shows just how hard the body wants to stay at that setpoint. But you're obviously doing well and still seeing changes, so that's encouraging. Keep up the good work!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@whitewave How is everything going? Still feeling good about surgery?

I had a sincere discussion with my husband this weekend. It's clear he is against me having surgery. I understand that in his head he is against it because it's scary, so he thinks that by discouraging it he is being loving; he's protecting me from the unknown.

He asked about me seeing a nutritionist. Did you try one before surgery? I feel like it's a waste of time (although insurance would probably require it anyway) because I know what I should eat. It's the volume that's an issue. No diet in the world helps me feel full. I've done WW, Keto, Paleo, LA Weight Loss, and the list goes on. I'm exhausted and depressed.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. What an interesting progression of things! It sort of sounds like for some people their bodies rebel a bit at first. It shows just how hard the body wants to stay at that setpoint. But you're obviously doing well and still seeing changes, so that's encouraging. Keep up the good work!

Sorry! I didn’t get a notification for this postl. I went to New Orleans, as my son adopted a dog and my son was a nervous first time dog dad lol. Plus, he hadn’t had a baby shower, so I had to go down there and set him up with everything the dog needed.

There is no scale at that house.

I threw up for the first time while there. I ate I guess a heavy dish... chicken cooked in oil and spices (not spicy) and whoa, sleeve did not like that.

Also, I was unable to eat a fish dish, so I’m definitely seeing that the sleeve is there and working and is choosy about certain foods.
I’m still glad I had the surgery. This past week for the first time in years, I had more energy and stamina than I can remember. I actually felt normal.

I tried a nutritionist years ago.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No worries! You don't owe me a reply on any particular timeline or any replies for that matter.

I saw about your granddog on Hangouts. Congrats on your new family member! Dogs are such good companions, and there are so many times I miss having one.

Did the fish bother your stomach as well? I thought proteins were preferred after weight loss surgery.

It would be nice to have more energy. For me it would also be about keeping pain in my back and joints under control so that I could actually exercise more. I'm glad our pool in our community opened so I can do some swimming.

Besides the nutritionist, I've also never tried weight loss pills (except for briefly those Hydroxycut things from years ago which immediately gave me palpations). I figure unless you take those forever they're only going to help as long as you continue to take them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was the way it was cooked and it had a sauce. I have done well with fish other than this one.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@whitewave How is everything going? Still feeling good about surgery?

I had a sincere discussion with my husband this weekend. It's clear he is against me having surgery. I understand that in his head he is against it because it's scary, so he thinks that by discouraging it he is being loving; he's protecting me from the unknown.

He asked about me seeing a nutritionist. Did you try one before surgery? I feel like it's a waste of time (although insurance would probably require it anyway) because I know what I should eat. It's the volume that's an issue. No diet in the world helps me feel full. I've done WW, Keto, Paleo, LA Weight Loss, and the list goes on. I'm exhausted and depressed.

Hi @Gabbycat
I'm struggling with my weight and diabetic to boot. My health insurance folks are hovering with support initiatives, one being a nutritionist on call. Since you asked about nutritionist experience...

I had a consult and she and I talked about my typical diet, then she customised an exchanged based diet for me - loosely based on the DASH diet.

All well and good...until I tried to figure exchanges and it became ridiculously tedious with combination foods. No apps for the DASH diet to figure foods like lasagne...etc. So I decided to make my own diet.
I'm counting calories and eating loads of veggies. I have a ton to lose, but am down an encouraging 4 lbs in a couple of weeks. I had done weight watchers, but the "free foods" and points also got tedious.

So for me, the nutritionist didn't help much, except to help me figure out what I wanted to do.

Forgive the threadjack.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @Gabbycat
I'm struggling with my weight and diabetic to boot. My health insurance folks are hovering with support initiatives, one being a nutritionist on call. Since you asked about nutritionist experience...

I had a consult and she and I talked about my typical diet, then she customised an exchanged based diet for me - loosely based on the DASH diet.

All well and good...until I tried to figure exchanges and it became ridiculously tedious with combination foods. No apps for the DASH diet to figure foods like lasagne...etc. So I decided to make my own diet.
I'm counting calories and eating loads of veggies. I have a ton to lose, but am down an encouraging 4 lbs in a couple of weeks. I had done weight watchers, but the "free foods" and points also got tedious.

So for me, the nutritionist didn't help much, except to help me figure out what I wanted to do.

Forgive the threadjack.

I appreciate you sharing your experience, and congratulations on the 4 pounds! Keep up the good work!

I've really been thinking about this a lot, and truly my issue is bingeing. Until I can learn to "break up with food" I feel like there is no point in people telling me what I should be putting into my mouth because I ultimately already know what that is. I need to learn that signal that tells us we're full and stop eating. I think the nutritionist is a requirement for WLS, though, so if I ever do commit I would probably have to see one anyway.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
@whitewave good luck! I am 5 years post-sleeve and also work as an RN in bariatric surgeries so I know this procedure forwards and backwards! Best decision I ever made for myself. I'm sure all will go well, and I'm happy to answer questions for you ,too, now or later. Excited for you!

I am also considering this, what determines eligibility--the insurance company or is there a ht/wt/bmi ratio that you have to hit?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@whitewave @Asscherhalo_lover any insight on that question?

@ame I live in the same area as I think you do. I have been looking at Dr. Chinnappan. He has a self pay option. I'm not sure what his requirements are, but I'm sure they would be less and quicker than going through insurance.

In the research I've done, the insurance requirements and coverage can vary quite a bit. I believe a 40 BMI with other co-morbidities like sleep apnea or diabetes is usually covered. Lower than that it can get tricky. Some can get you through the process in 3 months, and others can be up to a year. Looks like the average is around 6 months.

But the short answer is yes, the insurance decides eligibility if you don't want to pay out of pocket. You generally have to attend an informational seminar, see a psychologist who can verify you are mentally ready for the surgery, a nutritionist, list all the weight loss programs you've tried and how much was lost and for how long, get stress tests, try the bariatric weight loss plan before surgery and have 3-6 weigh ins with your doctor. So, it's definitely not a simple process. But maybe the other ladies can help, too, with better information since they've already been through it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also considering this, what determines eligibility--the insurance company or is there a ht/wt/bmi ratio that you have to hit?

I did self pay, so I don’t know. Your insurance has to actually cover the surgery. Not all do.

As an update, I am doing well. The nutritionist was right, it took 3 months for my body to settle down and decide to lose.

I’m developing a waist. My rings are spinning, etc. The scale is still in the closet.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did self pay, so I don’t know. Your insurance has to actually cover the surgery. Not all do.

As an update, I am doing well. The nutritionist was right, it took 3 months for my body to settle down and decide to lose.

I’m developing a waist. My rings are spinning, etc. The scale is still in the closet.

I'm glad you're getting to see results from the surgery! I know the impression I always had was that the weight would melt off immediately, so it's good to get a realistic view of what actually happens and that patience is still needed. But the point is it does come off eventually, and that's the whole reason to have it done.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you're getting to see results from the surgery! I know the impression I always had was that the weight would melt off immediately, so it's good to get a realistic view of what actually happens and that patience is still needed. But the point is it does come off eventually, and that's the whole reason to have it done.

Exactly. While I would love for it to melt off, the reality is it will be gone at some point.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ame Different insurance companies have different thresholds. I believe mine was a BMI over 40 WITH a weight related co-morbidity or a BMI over 50 being enough on its own. My BMI was 54 so I met the requirement with that alone.

I can safely say that binge eating has ended for me!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@whitewave @Asscherhalo_lover I finally bit the bullet. I have hit rock bottom, and I know it is time to stop letting fear hold me back. I have a consultation a week from today. I'm going to try to go the insurance route to save money, but we'll see how that goes. If they don't cover it I have already spoken to my husband about looking into Mexico.

What things, if any, did you both start doing to prepare yourself for the change that was coming even before consulting with anyone? I'll take any suggestions.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave @Asscherhalo_lover I finally bit the bullet. I have hit rock bottom, and I know it is time to stop letting fear hold me back. I have a consultation a week from today. I'm going to try to go the insurance route to save money, but we'll see how that goes. If they don't cover it I have already spoken to my husband about looking into Mexico.

What things, if any, did you both start doing to prepare yourself for the change that was coming even before consulting with anyone? I'll take any suggestions.

The biggest one for me was starting to exercise regularly. That helped me get in shape cardio wise to I recovered from the surgery quickly AND you really do need to work out after surgery to maintain muscle mass and really get healthier long term.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The biggest one for me was starting to exercise regularly. That helped me get in shape cardio wise to I recovered from the surgery quickly AND you really do need to work out after surgery to maintain muscle mass and really get healthier long term.

Thank you. We looked for a treadmill this weekend. Everything is 4-6 weeks for delivery currently, but at least the weather is nice enough still that I can swim and walk outside when it cools down a bit. I need to start getting into weight lifting, but I'm nervous about that due to my back issues. Maybe I can at least do some sitting upper body work in the meantime? I'll ask the doctor about that when I go.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. We looked for a treadmill this weekend. Everything is 4-6 weeks for delivery currently, but at least the weather is nice enough still that I can swim and walk outside when it cools down a bit. I need to start getting into weight lifting, but I'm nervous about that due to my back issues. Maybe I can at least do some sitting upper body work in the meantime? I'll ask the doctor about that when I go.

Cardio is def the most important pre-surgery. When I first started after surgery I started with a personal trainer through a physical therapy place. They worked with me to make sure the exercises I was doing were SAFE for me to do. It's obviously not a cheap route but I did it for 3 months to get me going and then I went off on my own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results